The MangaHelpers Anime Awards 2010 Discussion Thread | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Anime Awards 2010 Discussion Thread

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Re: The MangaHelpers Anime Awards Discussion Thread

Vote, people, vote! If there are ties, don't blame us if our decision disagrees with what you wanted. D: Plus, it'd make desty and desu happy, two female mods. :3c

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

The voting process has officially come to an end.

Thank you very much to all the members who participated in the MangaHelpers Anime Awards by voting for their favorite nominees in each one of the polls for the different award categories. :) We, the mods in charge of the Awards, will now check the results and we will announce the winners next Sunday or Monday. Please stay tuned for more news and for the revelation of the list of winners.

Kotaku

Temp Overlord
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

I like anime very much. My most like anime is Macross Frontier. I like very much mecha and utahime like Sheriru.

I want vote for anime I like. Why I cannot vote? njt-sama, help me please to vote? I want very much to show support for Japan anime.

Kusako

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Anome...Lovely Complex is sooo lovely...I like everything about it...

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Hi you two, I'm sorry, but voting is already over! :amuse Stay tuned for the results shortly~

You're more than welcome to join us for the next Manga/Anime Awards when they roll around again :) I'd be happy to pass a message through njt if necessary, so don't worry! :tem

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

Thank you all for you great support in nominating and voting for your favorite nominees for the The MangaHelpers Anime Awards!! We couldn’t have done it without your help, guys. :) You all have voted and have decided, as a community, what is the best of the best in the Anime World. Now it’s time to reveal the winners of these awards!!!

We are pleased to announce the results of The MangaHelpers Anime Awards! Also, please don’t forget to check the individual threads for each one of the award categories. You’ll find a cool commentary/announcement by the moderators who worked in this event~ And remember that you are more than welcome to discuss the winners either in this thread or in the respective category threads.

On behalf of the entire MH staff, thank you for participating!

destiny4ever, benelori, HegemonKhan, M3J, saladesu and Tsukisama~

Zeltrax

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

:-_- for some reason I posted in the wrong thread..I posted in the manga one :fail.
Anyway, thanks a lot for setting up this and its really appreciated.
The results are satisfying for me and I was really happy to see some of the nominations winning :party
I look forward to the next one,a much more epic one that'll come
and I really didn't see lelouch as best male character coming :darn

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

well seems like FMA made a razia on the awards :-)
It's quite shameful so that one piece get the best ongoing award. I don't deny the quality of the manga but the anime is far from being the best in whatever categories

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

True, true, I was disappointed (as much as I knew it would happen) as well~

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Yeah, FMA really swept a whole lot of awards! Of the categories I was in charge of, and wrote commentaries for, like a third or more were FMA :XD Well done to it, though, it is well-deserving of every prize it won imo :tem

One Piece, on the other hand, I can't really say either, as I've not actually watched it. I'm interested to hear what's wrong with it, though? What "went wrong" in the transition from manga to anime? Did it become to draggy, too many fillers, bad animation....?

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

Yes way too draggy. The pace is 1 episode = 1 chapter since the CP9 saga. So there are not much fillers. The problem of the pace was blattent during the marineford arc. The manga was omly cameo they could have improved that but instead we had very long cameo...
The animation is ok I guess but not unforgetable

Josl

Reaction score
Country
Austria

One Piece, on the other hand, I can't really say either, as I've not actually watched it. I'm interested to hear what's wrong with it, though? What "went wrong" in the transition from manga to anime? Did it become to draggy, too many fillers, bad animation....?
Well it’s not as bad as its reputation but it has a lot of problems. TOEI goes with 1 Chapter/Episode pacing. This works better for OP than it would work for a lot of other Manga adaption. Talking chapters can be padded out nicely but action/fast paced chapters suffer. For example the Impel Down arc and the war which are incredibly fast paced simple suffer from the slow pace and the in episode filler(a lot of Buggy and Mr. 3 filler etc). But on the other hand there are only a few fillers compared with a lot of other ongoing Manga.
The animation and art are mostly average. Never awesome because no big name animators do Episodes.
Important and emotional scenes are usually done pretty well from TOEI. An exception would be the war which was just handled poorly.
In general the problem the OP anime has is that the Manga is simple very good. The readers who watch the Anime expect it to be as epic (or even more epic) as the Manga. The Anime simple can’t compare with 1Chatpter/Episode pacing and average animation. The anime only people don’t even recognize the slow pace and the not so epic moments.

Compare it with Bleach which Anime makes the series seem decent. I didn’t watch that many recent Episodes of it and never filler but of what I have seen it’s like: 2 Episodes with 3Chapter/1Episode pacing, 5 Episodes of filler and so on. The faster pacing and the backgrounds/colour help the series a lot.
Most people who watch the Anime probably skip the fillers but if you are a little kid who watches the series every week or you are forced to watch it every week than...........................

I think in the category of ongoing Anime OP won deserved because:
Bakuman as an Anime is just boring. I heard a sub group stopped subbing it and said to just read the Manga.
I don’t consider GoSick and Star Drive as ongoing series because I consider an “ongoing” Series from 52 Episode +.
So only Bleach and OP are left. Bleach in Anime is decent without all the filler but with filler as bad as the Manga and even tough OP is not as good as the Manga it is still pretty good.

I didn’t vote for any Anime actually for a couple of reasons. First I only vote if I know (watch/watched) ALL the series. Second of all I don’t like Anime that much. I mean I have nothing against original (without a Manga model) Anime or OVAs because they are usually done pretty well. I also have nothing against Anime from novels but I absolutely dislike Anime from Manga. They usually never do the Manga justice and when they do than it’s just sad. I mean even FMA Brotherhood which won every award it was nominated for pails in comparison with the Manga and be it only because they pressed a whole volume in an Episode.
Oh I did vote for FMA:B in best full cast because I once did the same mistake in the Manga awards as M3J and voted for OP accidently even tough I wanted to vote for FMA

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

I think in the category of ongoing Anime OP won deserved because:
Bakuman as an Anime is just boring. I heard a sub group stopped subbing it and said to just read the Manga.
I don’t consider GoSick and Star Drive as ongoing series because I consider an “ongoing” Series from 52 Episode +.

I didn’t vote for any Anime actually for a couple of reasons. First I only vote if I know (watch/watched) ALL the series.
Well Im going to have to disagree with you on a few points in that post~
I liked Bakuman as an anime and it has sucked me into reading the manga as well - It does a good job at filling out certain things that were mostly left to ones imagination in the manga (from the 8 or so chapters I've read so far)

and your last comment reminds me of the saying "out of sight, out of mind" just because an ending of a series may be rushed doesnt mean the entire show sucks, but thats what people end up saying because they only remember the quality of the ending~

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Ah I see, that's a pity regarding OP, then :s Anime-only watchers would not be able to appreciate the true epicness of this great series :( I've only watched the Strong World movie and quite enjoyed it, but then again it is entirely separate from the anime itself.

I didn't watch the whole Bakuman anime, but from what I watched, it followed the manga quite closely and was generally pretty good. The pacing felt alright to me, but some found it very slow and boring. Hence "Boringman". And yeah gg dropped it for that reason. But from my discussions in the Bakuman forum, it seems that most people still liked it a lot, and enjoyed even the fillers (though some they said were pointless).

Anyway, I think there are pretty few series where the anime is better than the original manga. A lot of times fillers are to blame, or bad pacing, bad animation, anime changed some of the manga canon stuff... Etc. One series where I thought the anime was as good as if not better than the manga was Rurouni Kenshin's Tsuioku-hen OVA :hbunny Such a good OVA that made an originally awesome/epic segment in RK even better with awesome music, animation, artwork, pacing.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France

Without watching all the anime, maybe you could have a look to the G9 filler. There is a global consensus to say it is very one piece like and at very good level for a filler.

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

@saladesu
- Some might say its boring but thats just because of their preferences~
Like people who just like actions because of all the action and don't like to take the time to watch something interesting but not fast paced. Or disliking something because it may have started out slow...

I on the other hand, started watching OP way back in the day (when it was officially released in english) and got hooked on it, but after a few arcs it just got old and the style conflicted with itself. They would be overly serious but then overly silly....
Though I have to admit I never even started reading the manga (though a lot of people have tried to convince me) and maybe I will if it ever reaches the top of the list at MAL.

Anyways, Bakuman wasn't that bad it is even getting a 2nd season~

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Yeah, I agree. It really depends on your own preference. Some action buffs hate slice of life, but others love it. I guess some may have just been disillusioned by the fact that Bakuman is listed as "shounen", which conjures the image of action, fast-paced, fighting etc :) anyway, it would have been a pity if Bakuman ended without getting a 2nd season, after all the 1st season only covered like 30+ chapters! At the rate they are going, to cover the whole story they may need over 3 seasons :XD

Can I join the voices in convincing you to read OP? :wtf It's so brilliant and epic!! See how people are dissing the anime... It means the manga is that much better :thumbs Don't wait, the chapter count you have to catch up on will only increase and increase...!

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

for me, and my preferences:

it's all about the story+plot, that's the #1 thing of importance to me. If it doesn't engage you, make you think, challenge you, and make you emotional, than it has no quality to me what-so-ever.

The type of story+plot doesn't matter to me at all, as long as I can understand it well enough, and it meets the above creteria.

for example:

Witchblade had absolutely NO/ZERO plot, it was stupid and lame, HOWEVER, it had an incredible story between the mother (the protagonist) and her daughter/foster daughter, and a "bureau of child protection", which kept trying to steal her daughter/foster daughter, as due to an accident, very few children exists and the already grown up women can't produce children anymore, or something like this. Needless to say, it's very emotional if you care about kids, as the bond between the protagonist/mother and her daughter/foster duaghter is done so well, especially with that !EVIL! "bureau of child protection" trying to steal the daughter/foster daughter. It makes you really rethink real life the government and its child protection services... as you usually only heard about the offer side of how "bad the parents are and unsafe for the child it is", whereas this anime delves into the other side, of the guardian/parent/mother having her child STOLEN from her by the government's "bureau of child protection"... is it right for a group of people to be able to decide that you're a "danger to your kids, and thus they may break into your home and take your kids away"...

needless to say, I loved the story in this, but it's plot was a complete joke.

another such emotional story is in:

My little sister cna't be this cute (I don't know its japanese title and too lazy to look it up).

the interaction between the brother and his little sister is really great! very emotional and enjoyable!

Also, I actually liked chuu-bra as well, as it has an interesting story about girls and their clothing... opened my eyes anyways, made me less ignorant. now girls are already aware of this, as they ahve to deal with it, so it might be boring for girls to watch, but I really enjoyed it.

ya I got wierd tastes... as I like good stories+plots :D

----------------------------------------------

now for the more basic stuff, GENRES and other stuff:

I'm a nerd/geek, so I love fantasy, sci-fi, and vampires/werewolves/wolves

I also love magical, ninja, war, blood and guts, guns, swords, other weapons, and martial arts stuff

so I like action obviously.

and being a guy, a perv, I like fanservice of course!

HOWEVER, all of these things are only average/alright/"so so", or even trash/awful if they don't have a good story+plot along with it.

------------------------------------

I have ZERO interest in comedy, unless it's "fanservice comedy", or it is within other stuff I like.

------------------------------------

Also, if I think something is going to be good (I've already chosen and am watching it), I'll be patient and watch it out, even if its slow or boring.

I'm an avid book reader, and I got a saying:

"Give a book patience, and it'll reward you!" -HK

So, this is the same with anime as well.

Many people watch an anime and its slow or boring in the beginning, so they quit watching it, and thus miss out on a really good anime, as it gets better, as you keep watching it.

Blood+ is such an anime. For me, it got me interested right from the "get-go", with its first episode, hehe. Berserk Saya, grins :D, and its kinda interesting for about 6 episodes, as she's slowly intrduced to who she really is and her loss of her foster father George. But, much of the anime is slow and boring, as its ~50 episodes long. It doesn't actually have that many fight/action scenes, but when it does, they're pretty good. Because it's drawn out though, few people give it the patience of watching all ~50 episodes, and so they miss out on how awesome and great it is.

Samurai Champloo is like Blood+ as well, they seem like a bunch of miscellenous episodes, with reall good fight/action scenes here and there, but the later part of it, as it too is a long anime series, it starts to really pick up with its plot and it becomes much more interesting and fast paced.

there's actually quite a lot of anime, that have "dead" beginnings, but than they pick up with later episodes.

Patience.... Patience.... sighs... maybe I'm one of the few... who has patience... laughs

and again, my saying:

"Give a book (or manga, anime, movie, tv show/series, and etc) patience, and it'll reward you!" -HK

Last edited:

Josl

Reaction score
Country
Austria

and your last comment reminds me of the saying "out of sight, out of mind" just because an ending of a series may be rushed doesn’t mean the entire show sucks, but that’s what people end up saying because they only remember the quality of the ending~
I’m not sure which comment you exactly mean. Is it this one?
I mean even FMA Brotherhood which won every award it was nominated for pails in comparison with the Manga and be it only because they pressed a whole volume in an Episode.
If you meant this one than I didn’t even mean the rushed ending. They pressed the whole Volume 15 in Episode 30.
I never said the show sucks. I think it deserved to win every where it won. It is a very good show and was adapted very well.
I only said that it pails in comparison with the Manga and be it ONLY because they pressed a whole volume in one episode. Not even mentioning the rushed ending and beginning and other little things.

@saladesu
- Some might say its boring but thats just because of their preferences~
Like people who just like actions because of all the action and don't like to take the time to watch something interesting but not fast paced. Or disliking something because it may have started out slow...
I know it wasn't meant for me but I belong in neither. I have no problem with slow starts, like interesting stories and the slice of life genre.
The problem slice of life genre has is that if you already have read the Manga than the Anime is destined to be boring. At least for the most people.
On the other hand even if you have read the Manga in the action genre you still can look forward to the action animation.
The 30chapter/25 Episode doesn’t help either.

Without watching all the anime, maybe you could have a look to the G8 filler. There is a global consensus to say it is very one piece like and at very good level for a filler.
lol yes. Most Anime only people thought of it as canon while thinking of the foxy arc as filler

Can I join the voices in convincing you to read OP? :wtf It's so brilliant and epic!! See how people are dissing the anime... It means the manga is that much better :thumbs Don't wait, the chapter count you have to catch up on will only increase and increase...!
The Anime isn't that bad. Especially the first 200 Episodes are done pretty well. I think he said that his main problem was that it changes from very silly to very serious. This does never change and it is one of the strong points of OP. It can make you laugh, cry and sometimes both at the same time,
It also depends until where he watched. Until Arlong Park for the right first impression. Until Alabasta for the right general impression and until EL for the completely right impression.
I heard a lot of people stopped during Skypia. Well it is one of my favourite arcs but it has a lot of problems. Especially the first time watching.

~Coffee~

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

@saladesu
- Ya about the OP, I may have become a little biased towards it because it seems like it gets a lot more popularity than it deserves. While Im not saying it sucks or anything, theres a lot of other things out there that are just as awesome but dont have mountains of crazy, raging geek fans~ LOL
and about being behind in Chapters, I LOVE READING MANGA THAT WAY!!!! I love when I can read and read and read and read without worrying about catching up any time soon or waiting a week for the next chapter.... I think I just got back into my manga reading phase again as in the past 2 weeks Ive read up to the current chapter of Air Gear and Bakuman and Started Dengeki Daisy the other night.

@Josl
- the very last thing that was said was something about watching ALL of the series...

and the thing I dont like about it going from overly silly to overly serious is that it goes from being a gag type (like bobobo) to a drama type... and its wayyy to obvious and 'jittery'. Both are good types but jumping from one to the other without warning irritates me~

I like series that can make you laugh, cry, etc... but do it with better transition~ (did someone say Clannad?)

I also usually try to watch the anime first (at least the first season) before I read the manga..... unless I somehow get drawn into the manga before an anime gets released. (this may be just because I dont read toooooo much manga. lol)