The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread | Page 18 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Re: The MangaHelpers Manga Awards

Recruiting Help!
Those of you who read (even better if you nominated/voted for them too :p) Bleach, Berserk, D.Gray-Man, Vagabond, Vinland Saga, Kuroshitsuji, Reborn and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle! We would really appreciate it if you could provide us with a page (online reader) that you think best displays the artwork/costume designs in these manga. We would like to add them to the opening posts for the categories Best Artwork and Best Costume Design. Your help would be much, much appreciated :thumbs

Feel free to post them in those 2 threads, and a mod will add them into the OP for you :nod

Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Does it have to be an online reader or can we also paste something together and upload that to a pic hoster? These two categories are mostly about variety (like is the Mangaka good at drawing persons, facial expressions, backgrounds, etc. // Do most characters have cool costume or just specific figures? Do characters change outfits?) and therefore it would be really hard judging from just one picture each... so I thought about mashing several small pics together, similiar to your post for Shiki @ Best Hairstyle. : )

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki

It's better you upload to a pic hoster for many reasons. Go ahead and mash the pics!

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany

This has been almost mentioned already as "best catchphrase", but it's slightly different:

Best Quotes

I'd really enjoy this being a category for future Awards, as there's a lot of manga with really good stories, and very powerful and/or ethical and/or famous andor/or whatever quotes/lines from them! :D

it's like an appreciation to the writers of the mangas for coming up with really good quotes/lines/sayings :D

such as many from Claymore :D

~"A girl half my size taught me that tears can flow from even silver eyes"

~"I don't want nice shoes. I don't want nice clothes! I just want to be with Teresa forever!"

~"Let me explain this to you. Whether I abide by the Ironclad rule and let-watch you rape/kill this little girl and I myself live on or if I move this short sword of yours into your throat and out the back of your neck getting executed by my own kind for killing you, is my own DAMNED FREEDOM OF CHOICE!"

~"Ahh... I didn't know this would feel so goooood. Why'd I ever hold back?! I want to eat human guts! I want to rip open your stomachs, plunge my head inside and savor every organ. I want to clean every last scrap of meat from your bones!"

~"DAMNIT Clare, you said your accuracy has improved! You F'N cut some of my hair off, you B'h! Sorry, Galatea, I didn't know you cared so much about your hair, I'll not cut your hair this time. WTF, happened to my arm, it's severed now! I got Galatea hostage and am about to kill her again, and you two are talking about cutting her hair! I said that now that I'm here, no one else is going to die! Agatha is killed by Clare!"

etc. :D
I like the idea of including Best Quotes.However,there is a problem that your post unwillingly shows quite well,which would be that you could only nominate certain quotes.This quote for example
~"I don't want nice shoes. I don't want nice clothes! I just want to be with Teresa forever!"
does not mean anything to me.I need to know the character to give this quote some weight.Is the character superficial and shollow?Is the character shy and quiet and never talks about his feelings?Were nice shoes and nice clothes everything for the character before?The borders are kinda vague in this category for me.I would prefer quotes that can be appliead to the real life or at least quotes that don't require me to know the whole character or plot.

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
Reaction score
Country
Japan

It's better you upload to a pic hoster for many reasons. Go ahead and mash the pics!
Alrighty~ I'mma be doing something later for the series I nominated then, I guess. Kuroshitsuji for Costume and - if not anybody else is really craving to do so by then - Vagabond for Artwork.

Reactions: M3J

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

I like the idea of including Best Quotes.However,there is a problem that your post unwillingly shows quite well,which would be that you could only nominate certain quotes.This quote for example
does not mean anything to me.I need to know the character to give this quote some weight.Is the character superficial and shollow?Is the character shy and quiet and never talks about his feelings?Were nice shoes and nice clothes everything for the character before?The borders are kinda vague in this category for me.I would prefer quotes that can be appliead to the real life or at least quotes that don't require me to know the whole character or plot.
yes, the quotes would/should need an explanation, obviously for those who don't know the manga/anime and thus can't understand the impact/significance of the quote.

I was only giving examples... on my previous post. I could easily explain the quote in question that you brought up, hehe :D

P.S.

(that quote was said by a female character, the protagonist/main character, so it's not a "his feelings", lol)

(if you're curious about that quote in question, I can pm you about it, though it is quite deep and significant and thus a long explantion... but if you're interested in Claymore manga/anime now, then I won't as it's explanation would be quite a spoiler)

(though if you're interested/curious, it would be much better and I'd highly recommend you check out, read, the Claymore manga, or watch the Claymore anime at least. Claymore is really an AWESOME and PERFECT manga and anime, hehe)

edit: see this link below, if you don't mind massive spoiler summary of the Claymore manga, to find within there (a lot of reading, lol) an explanation of the quote in question, lol:

http://mangahelpers.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2254070&postcount=11

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

yes, the quotes would/should need an explanation, obviously for those who don't know the manga/anime and thus can't understand the impact/significance of the quote.

I was only giving examples... on my previous post. I could easily explain the quote in question that you brought up, hehe :D

A lot of things need explanations or are unratable at all without knowing the manga (best chapter, best plot-twist and more), so that's not really a reason to abandon best quote imo :)
I think quotes at least have the potential of beeing more independend from knowing a manga well, some are just too nice/badass/whatever to ignore :amuse

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania

Many people have different views about what best or quality is...some people like characterization more and plot, some like just the art, some people read manga for the epic feeling of adventure. So when there are multiple expectations, then the definitions are various as well.
There is a reason why it's so famous and takes the first place consecutively and I think it's something you've missed that we all managed to see.
The same logic can be applied backwards...maybe Goral saw something that made it no so appealing, and thus dropped OP...and he's not alone...many people dropped it, because of the arc, because of the horrendous pace that some arcs have, the lack of ideas in certain fights...

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium

Many people have different views about what best or quality is...some people like characterization more and plot, some like just the art, some people read manga for the epic feeling of adventure. So when there are multiple expectations, then the definitions are various as well.

The same logic can be applied backwards...maybe Goral saw something that made it no so appealing, and thus dropped OP...and he's not alone...many people dropped it, because of the arc, because of the horrendous pace that some arcs have, the lack of ideas in certain fights...
I can understand people dropping one piece. But I find it rather odd to drop at Enies Lobby while being able to survive "davy back fights".

Zeltrax

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I can understand people dropping one piece. But I find it rather odd to drop at Enies Lobby while being able to survive "davy back fights".
I was thinking the same thing. Maybe he doesn't like all the fighting because EL is all about it (before that more of it was about adventure)? I think he should give OP another chance, but it's his own opinion, so maybe he'll prefer something else.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium

I found the davy back fights funny and a good refreshment. I can understand people dropping one piece at the beginning but from the arlong park, it was interesting all the time

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

What would everyone think of something similar to these awards, but for anime? I know we are MangaHelpers, and some people are manga purists and only read manga and don't care for anime, so I'm just wondering if there would be an audience big enough to *possibly* warrant an anime awards in the future :tem (I'm just throwing this out here)
Well I sure would be interested, even though I don't watch that much anime and I'm not sure wheter there is enough interest around here.

I'd love categories like Best OP/ED, best soundtrack, best anime original, best manga/lightnovel adaptation, best visuals, best script, best individual episode and best Seiyū male/female.

Oh, and of course best anime film to give Miyazaki the praise he deserves :D

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

Maybe, for starters, it would be easier to only add a "Best Anime" category. I don't know how much the community here is into animes, so I don't really have a good idea though.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Yeah, Otaku Theatre is generally frequented by a couple of regulars, the rest only pop in now and then :/

I agree that a "Best Anime" category could work, though. Once we see the response to that, maybe the third awards could include more anime-related categories like best seiyuu etc that Ustegius mentioned :hurr

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States

two category ideas for anime:

Anime that follows the Manga the Most Closely/Accurately (in fewer words, lol)

Anime that follows the Manga the Least Closely/Accurately (in fewer words, lol)

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

I wonder if making a rule/request asking ppl NOT to vote on categories where he/she is unfamiliar with more than 2 options would be a good idea. It might make the award better and fairer quality-wise.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

I wonder if making a rule/request asking ppl NOT to vote on categories where he/she is unfamiliar with more than 2 options would be a good idea. It might make the award better and fairer quality-wise.
I thought about the same issue, but I came to the conclusion that it is impracticable. A lot of people will be exluced from a lot of categories, and many would either not read or not obey such a rule.
This is a community project after all, and it would be heavily restricted by only allowing people who have read a large amount of manga of very different genres.

I know your motive for that idea and I partially share those feelings, but I think this is something we have to accept and cannot change without ruining the overall event.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I see where you are coming from, and agree that it's a little unfair for someone to vote without knowing at least 3 of the nominees. However, at this point, it's probably pretty useless :s Most people have already cast their vote by now, I think.

Also, it can't be a rule per se as it's pretty much impossible to make sure people keep to that rule... And even if we just made it a request, I have a feeling only a handful of people would actually keep that rule :sweat

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany

And even if we just made it a request, I have a feeling only a handful of people would actually keep that rule :sweat
I think those people who would stick to it already try do so.
Personally I did vote in some categories where I only knew a minority of nominees, while I kept out of some of these as well (like best costume design, best shojo/josei).

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Just a gentle reminder, please DO NOT flame/bash any manga series, fans of the series, characters, etc. It's fine to say you don't like a series, but there is no need to outright diss anyone or anything. The awards may be fun and lighthearted, but please keep in mind that all forum rules still apply. Thank you :)

I think those people who would stick to it already try do so.
Personally I did vote in some categories where I only knew a minority of nominees, while I kept out of some of these as well (like best costume design, best shojo/josei).
That's what I thought, too :XD

And yeah, same here. There were also some categories that of those nominees I knew (even if they were more than or equal to 3), I didn't want to vote for any of them, either :p

Last edited: