The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread | Page 19 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

The MangaHelpers Manga Awards Discussion Thread

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Re: The MangaHelpers Manga Awards

I voted, because even if I didn't read other titles I still think that Bleach for example deserves to win Best Costume Design or Best Hairstyle...also this is not the 1st phase of the event

Let's not forget that there were nominations, and through the nomination process other brilliant titles were outclassed by the current ones...for example I would've voted Otoyome gatari if it were on the list, but it wasn't so what can I do about it? Nothing, except I vote for the next best title, which is Bleach IMO...

Basically voting for a title that is the only one that is read in a category, does not mean that is unfair...I've read other stuff that are not on the final list, and I have solid base for comparison...
This might be a bit extreme, but he have to see the entire picture...this is not just the competition of the final 5, but the competition for all the manga that have been nominated

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

I think it's more a matter of this: Using your example, lets say out of the 5 series that make it to the "finals" for best hairstyle, you only know Bleach. For someone who knows all 5, actually Bleach does not have the best hairstyling (this is just an example, yeah). So for you, who votes for Bleach without knowing the rest, it's kinda unfair. I mean, even if Bleach does have the best hairstyling amongst the manga you have read, it doesn't mean it applies when looking at all manga under the sun.

Of course, this situation does apply in any case as long as the voter is not familiar with even one of the nominees. What ashher is saying is that this problem is amplified further should the voter not be familiar with 3 or more of the nominees, as the person is just left with 1 or 2 options, hence inevitably developing a strong bias.

benelori said:
This might be a bit extreme, but he have to see the entire picture...this is not just the competition of the final 5, but the competition for all the manga that have been nominated
Technically speaking, having made it to the final 5, these 5 are supposed to be the "best" of the lot, hence the winner among the final 5 would be the same even if we said lets have a poll among the final 50 instead. Of course, this is way too much of an exaggeration as lesser-known series naturally get lesser votes/nominations and as a result may not make it to the final 5 despite being awesome.

But these are all just loopholes that we really can't avoid, so :)

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh

I wasn't talking about making the rule/request now, i was just putting it out there for consideration for the next award. And i also understood that enforcing a rule like that will be impossible(but i mentioned it anyway just to see your reaction lol).

So what i really wanted is just to put a simple request about it to the voters next time. You'll be quite amazed to see how often a request actually works so much better than a rule (i remember an online downloadable game just requested the downloaders to pay them only if the gamer liked it after playing...it went on to make a huge success). This won't actually stop anyone from voting an option if they really feel that the option is so good that it just can't be trumped (as benelori felt)...but it will hopefully make them think twice about whether their preferred option is really that flawless that nothing else can beat it.

For example, i read only 3 of the choices in plot twist category. More importantly i haven't read Vinland Saga which seems to be a very strong contender there. Yet i voted for another option because i believe my choice cannot be beat, may be equaled, but not beat. But in female lead or support categories, no matter how much i liked some of the nominees...i had to refrain from voting because i couldn't honestly say to myself that those cannot be topped.

Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Hi guys, there is just one more day till voting closes! If you have yet to vote, do so right now!! :nuts Tell all your friends about it~! :D

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan

Seeing how the polls are closing one after the other since just before, I wondered when we'll get to see the results? I was hoping the poll would switch automatically and was really excited but now it's just closed with results hidden... :scry

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States

The voting process is officially closed. Thank you very much to all the members who participated in the MangaHelpers Manga Awards by voting for their favorite nominees in each one of the polls for the different award categories. :) We, the mods in charge of the Awards, will now check the results and we will announce the winners during the coming week. Please stay tuned for more news and for the revelation of the list of winners.

Last edited:

Tulkas

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Seborga

We, the mods in charge of the Awards, will now check the results and we will announce the winners during the coming week. Please stay tuned for more news and for the revelation of the list of winners.
Are you announcing the results all in one batch or every day 2-3?
I would prefer the second alternative.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Thank you all for your invaluable support in nominating and voting for your favorite manga for the MangaHelpers Manga Awards 2010!! All of you have voted, and have decided as a community what the best of the best is in the wonderful world of manga!

We are happy to announce the results of the Awards here! Don't forget to check out our STAFF and STARs votes too! Also take a look at each category's individual threads to read a fun announcement by the moderator who was in charge of that category~! You may discuss the winners either in this thread or in the respective category threads :amuse

On behalf of the entire MH staff, thank you for participating! :D

-destiny4ever, benelori, HegemonKhan, M3J and saladesu.

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
just wanna let you know, I do not like the Best WTF Moment and suggested we mess with the votes a bit, but the mods are too honest. <_< Trying to find the page, I actually think Askeladd beheading King Sweyn was a better WTF moment.

Anyway, it'd be cooler if you talked about the categories' winner in their own thread. :P Once again, thank you for making this an immense success and helping us out! Truly an example of how a community shines when it works together and participates together!

destiny4ever

MH's Most Friendly Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
The MangaHelpers Manga Awards has finally come to an end, the results are out and the winners have been announced! :) I would like to thank you guys for your great participation in this project; it is because of you, the members, that the MH Manga Awards had the awesome success that it had.

Please feel more than welcome to talk and discuss about the winners for each one of the different award categories, and please remember to:

Respect the opinions of others. It’s okay if you don’t like the nominee that was chosen as the winner; but please do not bash the character, or the series, or event, or the person who does like and support said winner. The purpose of The MangaHelpers Manga Awards is still to do something as a whole community while having fun, not to initiate any kind of drama or fights.

Thank you for accompanying us through each stage of this project and for helping us decide what is the best of the best in the Manga World. I had a lot of fun and I hope to see you all in the next MH Awards. ^_^

zelllogan

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I didn't know you were going to do separated lists. Thanks
My fav list is "The MH STARs' list of winners".
I also like the "modo list" even if I will never agree on any prize related to Psyren.
For the global list, unfortunately, the popularity had it over the quality. But well, I'm already satisfied that One piece / Naruto / Bleach didn't win everything.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Gotta agree without, Zellogan. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the overall results and that the big 3 swept nearly everything. I'm glad they didn't win everything, but it's bad enough that they're almost there. Guys, y'all needa widen your horizons! Check out the other manga that got nominated, I'm sure you would be enlightened :tem

Both the STAFF and STARs list gave a very nice, refreshing and different viewpoint on the different categories. It's nice to see when the winners are different for the general list and the staff/stars list :)

AlB

Reaction score
Country
Georgia
Hey there everyone!! I was very pleased with the results (even if I disagreed with some of them). It was a great competition and I extremely enjoyed participating in it!
I would like to thank all the mods working on it:
Thank you very much for the hard work. You made this great Tournament in the best manner one could hope! :)
And of course thanks to all those who participated in the discussions! It was great discussing and arguing with you! :)

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Oh, and you guys should know: another reason why we thought this Award event would be awesome was because we thought it'd promote other manga as well, like non-mainstream manga like Aria and Berserk and etc! We've had tons of different nominations and I'm glad to see it's not just OP, Naruto, Bleach, Vinland Saga, FMA, and etc that were nominated, but other manga that I've never heard of as well.

So basically, hopefully looking at the nominations and the nominations that made it to the final round inspires you all to pick up that manga or pick it up again, depending on whether you've dropped it or haven't read it yet. As long as this event inspired you to read more manga, especially the ones mentioned, we're satisfied and happy with one goal being achieved.

Desu already said this, but I'm expanding on it. Expend your horizons and next year, give us more manga that we haven't heard of before to nominate and get us to read! Awards are good ways to advertise and push new manga/show/movie/etc because people would say "ohey, that [whatever] was good enough to be nominated, maybe we should check it out!"

tl;dr: READ MORE MANGA, ESPECIALLY THE ONES NOMINATED!

HegemonKhan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Read Claymore and check out the Best Female Lead individual thread, as Clare from Claymore is the winner! woot woot woot! :D

(and Priscilla from Claymore shoulda been the Best Villain ... V.V ... argh, she sooo deserves it too, sighs)

Claymore is my favorite manga, and it's been a dream being the moderator of my beloved manga.

If you like Berserk, check out Claymore! If you don't like Berserk, or don't know Berserk, STILL check out Claymore, hehe. It hasn't disappointed a single person yet that I know of! Watch the anime and/or read the manga, but definately read the manga, and not judge it by the anime, as the anime is only ~ half of the manga, and that 2nd half past the anime is where Claymore really gets awesome, if it isn't already awesome, hehe. :D

Girls and guys alike and all interests too, Claymore is for everyone, well maybe not as it's much more dark and it isn't your cliche manga/anime either! It is that awesome! Give Claymore a try, you won't be disappointed! :D

Last edited:

DLord.Van.Buuren

Reaction score
Country
Japan
OP won OP won, I told you guys it will but you didn't believe me :XD

Anyways, its only natural for a manga who sold 200 M copies on a global scale to win the modest mangahelpers award otherwise it would be weird.

One could argue what the hell is that naruto sasuke kiss doing here in the open anyways, but whatever its not like its important. Well it might be important for some but I'll say no more.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
One could argue what the hell is that naruto sasuke kiss doing here in the open anyways, but whatever its not like its important. Well it might be important for some but I'll say no more.
Hey hey, stop complaining, yo. You didn't have to look for a damn picture of them kissing. <_< I used Google... thought it was safe to not change my no filter settings... yeeeeeah, it wasn't.

Seriously, the things fangirls come up with.... :-_- Cursed be to whoever invented yaoi, at least Naruto-Sasuke yaoi. -_-; Ay yi yi yi yi yi yi yi.... I actually asked desu if we could use Sakura and Sasuke instead, but she said no. <__<

Feel lucky, bro, feel lucky. T_T

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
dl, you're right I guess, that it isn't at all unexpected that popular manga like OP and the rest of the big 3 ended up winning a lot of the awards. I know a lot of people who don't even know manga outside of the big 3 and maybe Fairy Tail :-_-

It's pretty lulz that Naruto/Sasuke kiss won Best Kiss, but I guess the very reason it won was that it was funny. I remember laughing my head off when I first watched it in the anime :D

And Milly, I bet you if you had to search for Sakura x Sasuke photos, you'd find stuff that isn't quite SFW wither. But I guess you wouldn't mind :oh

Tsukisama

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, have Sasuke and Sakura ever kissed in the manga? :?bunny I can't recall them ever doing that. The only kiss I recall Sasuke receiving is from Naruto.

I voted for that kiss too, mostly because it was amusing but also because that kiss actually has meaning in that I think Naruto and Sasuke have a really special bond that should be recognized in some way. (Putting them as an option for 'Best Couple' probably would not have been appropriate. Perhaps next time, there might be a category for 'Best Friends'. :amuse)

ashher

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I just wonder if you guys are planning to do this yearly. I think it'll become very repeatative in both nominations and winners. Since mangas are lengthy stuff, i can't exactly see ppl's opinion changing significantly in one year. Can't see any manga challenging big 3 (OP more accurately) even after a year.

Last edited: