Movies - The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1 | Page 98 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
What's up everyone, been a few good months since I posted so I decided to drop by once again.
I've been watching at least one film a day since June 23rd and haven't stopped yet yes I need help, I'm up to 110 consecutive ones so far for a total of 176 this year, sheesh.

I'll stop the daily thing sometime this week since I've gotten way ahead of myself and know I can easily get to 200 before the end of the year, still have a big film festival to look forward to a month from now as well so yeah (expecting to see the bigger hits of the year like The Whale, Bones & All, etc.).

Anyways time for some quick thoughts/recommendations on what I've been seeing:
~
The Summit of the Gods: highly recommended french anime film adapting a japanese manga. I was very, very skeptic knowing the film was entirely in french, but boy did this one surprise me. Absolutely, incredibly made when it comes to visuals but also especially sound design. Great (voice) acting as well, for sure one of the best animated films of the year, not to be missed;

The Whaler Boy: liked it a lot, one of those films that's incredibly well shot, taking place in a corner of the world you might not be extremely familiar with, that you never know where the next scene will take you.

Reprise and Oslo, 31st August: finally got around to watching the first films by Joachim Trier, easy "best of the year" entries for me. Good, hard-hitting, really realistic dramas with a script that really hits hard.

Crimes of the future: really disappointing. Had avoided the trailer for this one, was really interested in it based on what everyone had been saying. By the time I thought to myself "ok this is getting interesting now, wonder what-", the movie ended. So... yeah.

Dual: if you like weird stilted stuff like Yorgos Lanthimos usually does (Dogtooth, The Lobster, The Killing of a Sacred Deer), you might enjoy this one. This is not something I'd usually recommend, but it's one of those where the ending just has you going around and desperately trying to find people to talk with about it. THIS is a film that took a simple concept and actually managed to do something interesting with it, as opposed to the other film mentioned above.

Mass: really well done, takes place mostly in a single room with 4 characters, entirely dialogue-driven plot. Go in as blind as you possibly can.

Morvern Callar: I had no idea what I was getting into. Stomach-churning, nauseating even (if just a little). Doesn't quite stick the landing but does leave an impression for sure.

Nitram: ended up enjoying this one as well. Same as Mass; the less you know about it, the better.

Stop-Zemlia: a favorite, a really unexpected good film, also a 1st feature by the director, someone to keep an eye on. It's a very simple film but I don't know, there was something about how it seemed to genuinely catch "reality", if that makes any sense.

We're All Going To The World's Fair: not what I was expecting, at all, and yet it still managed to seriously creep me out in a few instances. This is definitely a different breed of horror than what I thought I was getting into. Glad to see the director is already gearing up for another film. It wasn't perfect especially at the end, but I get what they were going for. Unsettling nonetheless.

Thirteen Lives: if you don't know/remember how the Thailand rescue went down a few years ago, B-R-U-H, watch this and don't read up on anything (and/or watch the documentary which is seemingly just as good, but this movie's cast is pretty good, and despite the long runtime, it flies by).

Vengeance: gave off Thunder Road vibes (director/writer also being the main actor, etc), not as impactful, I think, but it's doing its own thing, was an alright watch.

The entire filmography of Wong Kar-wai: I think I'd list As Tears Go By and Fallen Angels as my favorites. I hate that I was dozing off in some of them because I was really enjoying everything, it's just that the dreamy, slow mood of some of them just lulled you to sleep sometimes. I didn't see his one film in english, but out of all of them I think I'd rank Days of Being Wild as my least favorite. Still, it was worth it to finally check out his films and see what it was all about. A little disappointing in some cases, like with Chungking Express which I had heard much about and had greater expectations, but oh well.

Prisoners: finally got around to watching this Villeneuve film. Sadly I had already seen/heard about how the movie ends, but this did not take away any of my enjoyment. Solid film.

Speak no Evil: fucking brutal.

All My Friends Hate Me: good fun watch (it's a dark comedy), worth going into it blind.

The Fool (2014): 1st movie I saw from this director (I saw another one of his the following day, "The Guard"). Just fucking brutal, pessimist, cynical, negative, almost hopeless Russian film. I really want to check out his other films but my god, I know it's just a film but then you look at everything going on and IRL and you can't help but think "welp, that explains a lot". Felt almost the exact same way after watching "Donbass" as well as "My Joy" very recently from Loznitsa. Just absolutely unrelenting.

Beauty and the Dogs: also one of the most horrifying and infuriating (in a "good" way) films I've seen recently. Based on real events (and a very real, sad reality nowadays, especially with what is happening in some countries right now, extremely relevant).

Earwig: weird film, I liked it, "story" doesn't really go anywhere but the mood, atmosphere, weirdness of it all, very good. Wish I had waited for a better copy, I believe it'll be available online in a few weeks.

Vortex: new Gaspar Noé film. Different than what he usually does but man, just as fucking rough. I didn't struggle to watch it but it really makes you feel sad and uncomfortable throughout. Can really be tough to watch for some, given the subject matter.

Athena, which I just finished before coming here: finally a worthwhile film after the director's previous, disappointing one. Worth the watch, really well made, so many one-take sequences with so much going on, the prep must've been hellish for this one. It's somewhat similar to 2019's "Les Misérables", and in fact, the director of that one is a co-writer of Athena. Really fucking intense from start to finish (it's on Netflix).

Stuff I'll be seeing soon/before the end of the year (kinda been saving these as potentially best for last I guess):
- Triangle of Sadness (seeing it next week, I wasn't much of a fan of The Square, hope this will be better)
- Broker (newest by Hirokazu Koreeda)
- Decision to Leave (newest by Park Chan-wook)
- Fast and Feel Love (newest by Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit whose films I've absolutely loved until now)
- Memoria
- Reflection (by the director of "Atlantis" (2019), both extremely relevant nowadays, made before the whole conflict going on which makes the content of these movies all the more scarier).

And hopefully a dozen or so good films I hope to be seeing at a festival in November, we'll see.

Guess this will be it for now, hope everyone is doing well :)

(forgot to add/recommend:
- How to save a dead friend: a very hard-hitting moving documentary
- Convenience Store (dir. Mikhail Borodin) )

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The entire filmography of Wong Kar-wai: I think I'd list As Tears Go By and Fallen Angels as my favorites. I hate that I was dozing off in some of them because I was really enjoying everything, it's just that the dreamy, slow mood of some of them just lulled you to sleep sometimes. I didn't see his one film in english, but out of all of them I think I'd rank Days of Being Wild as my least favorite. Still, it was worth it to finally check out his films and see what it was all about. A little disappointing in some cases, like with Chungking Express which I had heard much about and had greater expectations, but oh well.
I can understand the sleepy aspect (which in very few cases can be a positive about the movie) to his style. Did you watch his films in series or intermittently?

The Fool (2014): 1st movie I saw from this director (I saw another one of his the following day, "The Guard"). Just fucking brutal, pessimist, cynical, negative, almost hopeless Russian film. I really want to check out his other films but my god, I know it's just a film but then you look at everything going on and IRL and you can't help but think "welp, that explains a lot". Felt almost the exact same way after watching "Donbass" as well as "My Joy" very recently from Loznitsa. Just absolutely unrelenting.
I remember this, it's one of those movies I could tell how it would play out and it still affects you. The choice of a tradesman (main character) and the apartment infrastructure (the problem) was optimal. Essentially, the guys that help you when everything literally goes to shit (a plumber) gets literally stomped on by those he's trying to help. You can take it (think on it) at any level (individual, social, political), particularly with infrastructure. Cynical is the best way to attribute films like this, because it will reinforce a cynical view or two.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
My enjoying of 1950's monster and sci-fi movies continues. I've been watching them steadily and it's been a great experience. To name a few...

• The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
  • The Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • 20 Million Miles to Earth
  • Tarantula
  • It Came from Outer Space
  • It Came from Beneath the Sea
  • Forbidden Planet
  • Attack of the Crab Monsters
  • The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
  • Beast from Haunted Cave
  • Earth VS the Spider.
  • The Night the Earth Exploded

I've watched too many to give concise thoughts on them but I can at least do a most enjoyed and least enjoyed. Most Enjoyed was probably The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Though Taratula was a close second. Least enjoyed was by far Forbidden Planet. I know some people love that one but I hated it. Characters come off as like "1970s creepy". So it was ahead of it's time, I guess, still was fun seeing young Leslie Nelson.

Overall, my biggest takeaway is even more of an appreciation for how incredible Ray Harryhausen was. Just such incredible craft in everything that man did.

Last edited:

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I can understand the sleepy aspect (which in very few cases can be a positive about the movie) to his style. Did you watch his films in series or intermittently?
I saw them all in a row, 1 per day, in chronological order, so basically I started on August 22nd with "As Tears Go By", and finished on the 30th with "The Grandmaster" (like I said, I skipped "My Blueberry Nights").

It's one of those things where I can understand if someone told me that the best way to experience these films is to let them "soak" for a bit, but this was a filmography I wanted to watch in order of release if possible (had been saving these films for a while, initially wanted to get to them last year when Criterion released the remastered versions) + the whole thing about me wanting/needing to catch up on my movie count, so I plowed straight ahead.

In a way they kinda all blend together in the end.

2-3 films into it, I thought to myself "uh, I thought there'd be more to it", as in, Wong Kar-Wai is such a big name that I thoughts his films had that "unmistakable" quality, like for example how Tarkovsky's films look and feel, you know? I was expecting something really unique but what I was seeing wasn't that different from other films I've seen in the same language/setting and with similar themes.

But after a while I started to feel "ok, I get it now", with his typical slow-motions, the way he edits, etc, I got more into it.

Some films bummed me a bit because the story is split among variours characters/couples, and I get it that's just one of his many themes, but for example, in "Chungking Express" I was really digging the 2nd half of the film and thought it was a shame the movie didn't just focus on that 2nd pairing more.

Wish I'd ranked them right away when I finished because I had a much clearer view then but I think it would be something like this:

1) Fallen Angels
2) As Tears Go By
3) Happy Together
4) In The Mood For Love
5) 2046
6) Chunking Express
7) Ashes of Time
8) The Grandmaster
9) Days of Being Wild

Like I said it all blends together a little and watching them sometimes less than 24h apart doesn't really help, but yeah.
I know 9) was the only one where I really went "meh".
"The Grandmaster" was also incredibly average and by the end I was struggling to remain awake.
I also struggled a little with he start of "Ashes of Time", but then it picks up after 30-40mins.

Maybe I'm biased cause the first 2 are more action-y and stuff but I really liked them.

I remember this, it's one of those movies I could tell how it would play out and it still affects you. The choice of a tradesman (main character) and the apartment infrastructure (the problem) was optimal. Essentially, the guys that help you when everything literally goes to shit (a plumber) gets literally stomped on by those he's trying to help. You can take it (think on it) at any level (individual, social, political), particularly with infrastructure. Cynical is the best way to attribute films like this, because it will reinforce a cynical view or two.
Yeah unfortunately I've been seeing too many of those lately, it gets rough.

"The Guard" was also alright but nowhere near as good, I definitely want to watch the rest of his films though.

gnut

Reaction score
Country
United States
My enjoying of 1950's monster and sci-fi movies continues. I've been watching them steadily and it's been a great experience. To name a few...

• The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
  • The Creature from the Black Lagoon
  • 20 Million Miles to Earth
  • Tarantula
  • It Came from Outer Space
  • It Came from Beneath the Sea
  • Forbidden Planet
  • Attack of the Crab Monsters
  • The Phantom from 10,000 Leagues
  • Beast from Haunted Cave
  • Earth VS the Spider.
  • The Night the Earth Exploded

I've watched too many to give concise thoughts on them but I can at least do a most enjoyed and least enjoyed. Most Enjoyed was probably The Creature from the Black Lagoon. Though Taratula was a close second. Least enjoyed was by far Forbidden Planet. I know some people love that one but I hated it. Characters come off as like "1970s creepy". So it was ahead of it's time, I guess, still was fun seeing young Leslie Nelson.

Overall, my biggest takeaway is even more of an appreciation for how incredible Ray Harryhausen was. Just such incredible craft in everything that man did.
You watch Werewolf By Night yet?

Marvel did an excellent black & white approach to it...nod of respect to the old horror genre.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
You watch Werewolf By Night yet?

Marvel did an excellent black & white approach to it...nod of respect to the old horror genre.
I haven't but I plan to soon. Looks like fun. I sort of love any unconventional approach like that.

Though the movies I'm watching I feel like almost can't be made anymore because they are such studio movies. Matte paintings, miniatures, studio lot style sets, forced perspective, with stock footage filling in the gaps I don't even know how someone could imitate it effectively. They are flimed in certain ways and paced certain ways. Often with surprisingly high quality acting but written in a way that's kind of bad while also coming across as so straightforward and sincere. To me it's just such a fun combination.

It's funny because even when you get into like the early to mid 1960s a change happens and those kinds of movies just end. You get more on location filming and a sort of cynicism and narcissism creeps in and ruins the charm of it.

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I watched Werewolf by the Night yesterday actually. It was fun! Stylish and nice genre piece. A bit silly, but like in very authentic old-school horror style. Also liked that the monster design were pretty faithful to original content.

I was actually kind of getting overdosed with Marvel and losing interest, but She-Hulk, Werewolf and Ms Marvel invigorated me. I liked something in all of them.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Watched it just now. Fun little Halloween movie. It was good, I liked it.

As for more specific thoughts...

Black and white along with a 53 min runtime make me give this a lot of points. Both felt "right" for this. Just a fun watch in general. So first and foremost I want to say that I did absolutely enjoy it.

That said when people say it's an ode to classic horror or something like that I roll my eyes a little. I mean, it is but it really isn't. Visually it's paying homage to those but fundamentally it's still very modern in ways that are antithetical to that kind of movie. Like a climax with a lot of stunts and monsters jumping around. Lot of auditory cues to spell out for the audience how they're supposed to feel. A fair amount of gore shots. Which sort of the defining trait of older movies is how they don't do that. It's still very much a Marvel thing in those ways and, while I appreciate them trying different things, lets not go crazy. It does still feel like a comic book thing more than a classic horror thing at the end of the day.

That said, it was fun. And I liked it.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Finally watched Everything, Everywhere, All At Once and it's easily my favorite film of the year. Wow. One of those films I want to instantly rewatch now, after I just finished it. Talk about a film where the substance is in equal amount to the style... and it's just overflowing with both, in the best way. So much comedy, so much heart, so much amazingly choreographed action... incredible script, perfect execution, both direction, editing, acting, all of it.

Also, after looking at imdb THE GUY WHO PLAYED THE HUSBAND IS SHORT ROUND IN TEMPLE OF DOOM???

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also, after looking at imdb THE GUY WHO PLAYED THE HUSBAND IS SHORT ROUND IN TEMPLE OF DOOM???
He'll always be Data from the Goonies to me.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finally watched Everything, Everywhere, All At Once and it's easily my favorite film of the year. Wow. One of those films I want to instantly rewatch now, after I just finished it. Talk about a film where the substance is in equal amount to the style... and it's just overflowing with both, in the best way. So much comedy, so much heart, so much amazingly choreographed action... incredible script, perfect execution, both direction, editing, acting, all of it.

I liked the movie, but I think I liked TAR a bit more for my movie of the year, oh and also way back when, er Death on the Nile

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
The Woman King - Built and flows pretty much like your usual warrior/war film. However, the subject matter itself is enough to make it unique and interesting. And towards the end it actually does have some fresh views to the genre. Well directed, solid script, well edited and very strong performance by Viola Davis. I enjoyed it a lot, even if in narrative sense I felt it was playing it a bit safe. Probably just makes it into my personal Top 3 this year. 4/5.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, watched the avatar movie... It was... way longer than it had any right to be. It felt even longer due to some guy two seats away falling sleep and snoring hard enough to drown out the sounds. You'd think the action in the movie would be loud enough to wake him up but no. I mean, it's not a bad movie by any means but it does drag... and drag.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, watched the avatar movie... It was... way longer than it had any right to be. It felt even longer due to some guy two seats falling sleep and snoring hard enough to drown out the sounds. You'd think the action in the movie would be loud enough to wake him up but no. I mean, it's not a bad movie by any means but it does drag... and drag.
What is the role of the previous main characters in the first one (Jake Sully, etc)

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
What is the role of the previous main characters in the first one (Jake Sully, etc)
His role is somewhat reduced compared to the first film with his family taking on more of a central role. Though there are specific moments where he takes the lead.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Ok, saw the new knives out movie. Pretty good movie on a first watch though I found that thinking about it in any amount makes me like the movie less and less.