Movies - The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1 | Page 99 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Film of the year for me is probably Decision to Leave
Wanna watch it asap, but have the opportunity to watch it for free in theaters in like.. March or sth... might not hold out for that long. :nerve

Roald Dahl's Matilda the Musical was just heaps of fun. Having grown up with the book and the Americanized DeVito version, with all the nostalgia that comes with it, I honestly like this version more as far as films go. Great performances, and a lot of the songs are really ingenious (as expected of Tim Minchin).

As long as you're not someone who decides to hate musicals before giving them a chance, this movie should be at least a fun experience (and even then, I've seen ppl who usually rag on musicals say they quite enjoyed it as well).

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Quick recap of recent watches:

Wakanda Forever: Too long and very basic Marvel melodrama. Letitia Wright was awesome though, and I really wish the focus was more on her grief over T'challah. 2/5.

Glass Onion: Not as impressive as the first one, but still a fun watch. Not sure how much research value it has though. 3.5 /5

Strange World: Heart of the film is in the right place, but still feels a bit flat and is very medium in most aspects. Creature designs are amazing. 3/5.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oh also:

Del Toros Pinocchio: Beautiful stop-motion. My favorite adaptation of the story this far. 4/5.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Year is over and I capped it at 220 total new films watched.
Wish I had left it at 200, cause moving forward I figured 200 a year would be a nice enough goal, but due to OCD and such that means I'll have to get to 220 minimum next year as well, and hopefully not go overboard again.
:facepalm
Even though this year I watched over 200 of them, there weren't more favorites/best of the year for me compared to previous years, which I found to be a bit odd, but it could also be because the high volume of watches just didn't let some of them sink in properly.

Generally speaking, if I have to think for a bit too long about whether something I watched was a favorite of the year for me, I feel like I shouldn't include it otherwise it would feel forced, but more on that in a bit.

As of right now, unless I decided to add some more (but I probably won't), these were the best of the year for me:
- Enter The Void;
- Everything Everywhere All At Once;
- The Northman (
to be honest, I was 50/50 about including this one, nowhere near as amazing overall as The Lighthouse, and even though the director isn't "happy" with the final cut due to studio interference, it's still hard to deny the meticulous crafting that went into making this film a reality);
- Convenience Store;
- The Summit of The Gods;
- The Whaler Boy;
- Reprise;
- Oslo, August 31st;
- Stop-Zemlia;
- The Fool;
- The Girl Who Leapt Through Time;
- Leila's Brothers;
- Close;
- World War III;
- The Whale (
it's not perfect in every single aspect, especially when it comes to the dialogues, but surprising no one, Brendan Fraser really carries this one and delivers one of the most surprising and emotional performances of the year.)
:cookiehand
There were also a few films I'd been saving for last because I was absolutely sure they'd floor me/be some of the best of the year for me, but in the end they turned out to be just... alright, I guess?

Namely Broker and Decision To Leave.
Broker had a handful of really good moments but it was nowhere near as gripping and emotionally investing as Shoplifters. I wanna say Song Kang-Ho was underused a little bit but I also understand what they were doing with his character. Feels like there was a lot of restraint from everyone, even the director, throughout the entire thing.

Decision To Leave... Not really sure how to go about this one. Movie started off at a really fast pace which was unexpected/not good for me. I had to double-check cause I was starting to think I had somehow missed the first 10-15mins, and that really made me feel a bit displaced.

Don't get me wrong, both of these films are good, definitely above the average among most of what I've seen this year, but I found them somewhat underwhelming when you consider who they came from.

Same thing for Bones & All, The Banshees of Inisherin, and Tár, for example.
I found them to be just as good, I recommend them, but I don't know, in each case, they were missing that little "something" that would've pushed them into my list of best of the year.
Now if you'll allow me, I'll drop some suggestions/honorable mentions as well for you to check out if you feel like it (chances are I already spoke about some of these earlier this year):
- How To Save a Dead Friend (documentary);
- Flux Gourmet (weird little film, great sound design which is a key element throughout);
- After Yang (could've made it to the best of the year list);
- Mass (pure dialogue, 1 setting, 4 characters, the less you know about it, the better);
- We're All Going To The World's Fair (not perfect, but unlike anything I expected it to be, probably one of the most surprising watches of the year);
- Beauty and the Dogs (tough to watch, nauseating even, and sadly, still extremely relevant nowadays, closest thing to a horror film that's not a horror film);
- Earwig as well as Vortex, the first directed by Lucile Hadžihalilović, and the latter by Gaspar Noé, who are a married couple. I think each of these films show a growth from both of them, and are worth checking out;
- Athena (could've made my way into the best of list just due to how it was shot/put together);
- The Quiet Girl;
- Marcel The Shell With Shoes On;
- Reflection;
- A Piece Of Sky (last one I saw this year).
And now some of the absolute worst:
- Hellbender (avoid like the plague, after I finished it I quite literally became physically ill with a sore throat for the rest of the day, not a joke);
- Dawn Breaks Behind The Eyes (not necessarily "very bad" but just a total waste of time);
- Terrorizers (2021);
- The Novice;
- The Yellow Wallpaper;
- Carter;
- Wolf (waste of potential);
- Resurrection (don't even know what to say);
- Buba;
- Wolfkin;
- Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon (had some decent expectations for this one, but this was beyond underwhelming, the type of film that makes you think someone pocketed 90% of the budget and they decided to make the film with the remaining 10%);
:cookiearf
I already have something like 50-60 films ready to watch for 2023, namely some I didn't manage to get to this year, like Memoria, Fast and Feel Love (newest by Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit whom I've praised plenty) and many others.

Guess I'll leave it at that for now, sometime soon I'll see if I can come up with a list of stuff I'm looking forward to seeing in 2023, hope you guys do the same, interested in your favorites of this year and what you're looking forward to as well.

:hi

With that said, hope you had a good year and that the next one is even better.:celebrate

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
My top of the year was hands down Everything Everywhere All at Once. Just so fucking good.

Still 2022 stuff I want see, but won't be avaible here for until later this year (Decision to Leave, Banshees of Inisher, Tar) but I doubt anything will trump that. It was just so perfect for my tastes.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Welp, just saw the avatar 2 box office. Who the hell is watching the movie? It's not a bad movie per se but it's not a great one. A 1.4 billion box office sounds beyond insane.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Welp, just saw the avatar 2 box office. Who the hell is watching the movie? It's not a bad movie per se but it's not a great one. A 1.4 billion box office sounds beyond insane.
IIRC there was nothing else scheduled to premiere at the same time so it kinda had a clear path so to speak.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
IIRC there was nothing else scheduled to premiere at the same time so it kinda had a clear path so to speak.
Hmmm, can't say I buy that this completely average movie made 1.5 billion in the box office because there was nothing else to watch.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Wendell & Wild was a disappointment... messy plot and unclear direction, especially for a Selleck film. The premise and a lot of the ideas in it feel quite good and interesting, but the execution just doesn't deliver at all, on any type of emotional level. The emotional scenes aren't very touching, the comedic scenes aren't very funny... unfortunately even the (on paper) excellent voice cast delivers a performance that for the most part feels... off, for lack or a better word.

Luckily the visuals are good, which is kinda what carries the whole film. But even that only elevates it to a "just okay" film.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Oscar Nominees are out.

Decision to Leave was snubbed!

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Oscar Nominees are out.

Decision to Leave was snubbed!
Not a single nod ät all! Shocking.

They should just give everything to Everything.

Oscar contest booting up soon-ish.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
The new All Quiet on the Western Front was really good, best war movie in a while. Really got some raw emotion out of me; disgust, despair, anger, sadness... some great direction and cinematography work to highlight all the contrasts of war (gritty battle sequences, calm/joyful moments in between, politicians detached from the reality of war in their mansions etc).

I know I've seen the original film but that was like 15+ years ago so don't remember much, and haven't read the book, so can't say how well it adapted its source material, but as a film it was very effective.

Strong 8/10

Oh, some other films I've seen somewhat recently:

Elvis - kind of a mess, Austin Butler does a good job but Baz Luhrmann's chaotic direction has never been for me. It also kinda falls into the Bohemian Rhapsody trap of trying to tell too much of a story in too little time so everything feels rushed and only semi-coherent. Sure, the story is followable but it allows for too little time to linger in the big moments for them to really hit. Also Tom Hanks' character felt like a caricature a lot of the time and took away from the seriousness for me.
I'd give it like a 6,5/10, mostly thanks to Butler's ability to shine through the messy direction.

Marcel the Shell with Shoes On - just a lovely little film, somehow making a mockumentary about a tiny living shell with a squeaky voice one of the more profound films I've seen all year. It's cutesy, it's sad, it's poignant as it subtle touches on some philosophical aspects of life. A little bit Tove Jansson-esque, almost, but in an American way. 8/10

The Banshees of Inisherin -
I love Martin McDonagh. The dark, dry humor he sprinkles into his otherwise quite heavy, dire films has never failed me yet. In Bruges is one of my favorite films of all time, and to have the director reunited with Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson here is a delight; both of them turn in amazing performances (as do the rest of the cast, Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan especially) and even though it's a slow burn of a character study, with some heavier underlying themes, it's engaging for every second of its run-time. Beautifully shot, splendidly acted, darkly grim with just enough humor - not comedy - this is another brilliant one from one of my favorite directors. 8,5/10

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All Quiet was a really solid film - far removed from the usual action packed (almost to the point of glorification), somewhat patriotic, war films that are often the plat du jour

I reckon 8/10 is probably a reasonable score
:verily

That said, I think it might be a film that you'd need to be in the right mood for - I still remember taking my uncle to the cinema to watch a film [and cheer him up] after he lost his job... For whatever reason my dad decided that Downfall would be a good movie to 'distract him'
:invalid

Last edited:

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

It's time.

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Decision to Leave is on Netflix!

(Not sure if it's available for all regions though)

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
ill probably see Mario in 3 or so weeks.

This weekend, Suzume...next weekend, Spirited Away Live on Staff, then DnD the weekend after that, and I guess Mario...first weekend in May?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Gotta say, i enjoyed the Mario movie way more than i thought I would.
It's not bad. It's by no standards a great movie either, but for any fan hard-core or casual it's sure to bring in some happy smiles. It delivers what it was sent to do. Does it play it safe? Yes. But its fine. Now lets just hope they are more ambition with sequels.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Yeah, my thoughts exactly Riku

They set the bar as low as they thought possible - and cleared it with little difficulty

They didn't aim to make a superb, thought provoking, complex film - they aimed to make something you could watch without being bored, enjoy with the family, and feel that it was an afternoon (or morning, in my case) well spent

This they absolutely achieved and tbh I was expecting the film to be far, far worse than it actually was

The animation was great, the voice acting was fine, the music was nostalgic enough for my tastes - if I was to criticize [I do so love to find fault] then some of the humour fell flat, but it was never so awkward as to detract from the experience

I reckon my money was well spent - praise that many blockbuster films of recent years (many of them fan favourites) do not deserve

Last edited:

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Yeah, my thoughts exactly Riku

They set the bar as low as they thought possible - and cleared it with little difficulty

They didn't aim to make a superb, thought provoking, complex film - they aimed to make something you could watch without being bored, enjoy with the family, and feel that it was an afternoon (or morning, in my case) well spent

This they absolutely achieved and tbh I was expecting the film to be far, far worse than it actually was

The animation was great, the voice acting was fine, the music was nostalgic enough for my tastes - if I was to criticize [I do so love to find fault] then some of the humour fell flat, but it was never so awkward as to detract from the experience

I reckon my money was well spent - praise that many blockbuster films of recent years (many of them fan favourites) do not deserve
I thought I would be more annoyed at the lack of mario's "italian" accent but in the end mario's voice was mostly harmless, which was fine. I would actually criticize the movie for not leaning in more into what jack black insanity can be. I like how they brought this musical bowser to life -erh, sort of-, I feel like they could have gotten away with a guitar/axe solo. The movie's music was throughout it all just fantastic.

And speaking of jack black insanity:

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy III. First movie i've seen in a theater in a few years, actually.

It was a good. James Gunn really knows how to do superhero stuff in a way that feels emotional and personal. Hit me in the feels pretty good. Easy to recommend.

Makes me kind of sad though because James Gunn is such an increadible writer director of his superhero movies. Between the Guardains movies and the Suicide Squad one. I really think he's the best at it of anybody. And now with his new role as sort of the creative lead for DC movies, I wonder how much room that will leave for him to make his own movies. Which I've really enjoyed.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Went to see two more movies before they left theaters.

Dungeons and Dragons. Which I thought was really good. Enjoyed it quite a lot. Just a fun fantasy adventure.

John Wick 4. Which.. was ok. Every action scene felt like it went on 5 mins too long to me. Which wasn't enough to sink it completely but I feel like a 120 min cut of it would have been vastly better.

Last edited: