Character - Todoroki Shoto Discussion Thread | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Todoroki Shoto Discussion Thread

sho87

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thread topic: Todoroki Shouto is going to either die or lose his powers

Let's face it, shouto is not a tritagonist lead in performance or even notable achievements when you see the main lead and duertagonist show so much impressive battles and leading changes as pillars of the class, and he doesnt show any motivation on the same level as deku and bakugou in being number one. In fact, endeavor has settled on shouto surpassing him in his own way. I figure shouto overall has to take a fall in order to string consistency.

Shouto always felt like he was content playing the second stringer and the supporting back up guy to the real stars of the class and he does a good job, with all his power hori must've found out how impossible to keep him around when deku and bakugou grows in strength and possibly takes from their specialty as the power players and as main characters, so I theorize that shoto in order to progress without being capable of overshadowing the main leads as far as power goes, must either lose his life or he loses his quirk all together because endeavor really has more ties to dabi more than shouto does while his family drama is not a priority to his current focus, it's making his class happy. Shouto can just be more improved by letting his death or lose of quirk be the finale for endeavors and dabi character development as well boost the two boys into greater heights being the new faces of being the elite type of quirk users that todoroki once had.

Discuss.

Last edited by a moderator:

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
No, none of this will happen. You seem frustrated because you simply want him to shine more :neutral.

Sirin

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Eh, as much as I like Shoto in particular and the whole Todoroki family and their issues in general - nah, sorry, not buying it. Right now it’s not his battle, there are no reasons for him to interfere. He’s not airborne, and he is not stupid - if he gets any closer to Tomura, he’ll die for nothing without contributing anything - neither for the battle, not for the plot. Even losing quirk in his case won’t contribute for the plot.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Isn't there a thread about character deaths? I've made the case earlier that shoto's death would be the only one in his class that would matter and have meaningful impact to the story... Though I do think its extremely unlikely that the author plans to do this and even if he ever plans to do it right now is a bad time and it would be a mostly unearned development. Endeavor hasn't actually had much of a spotlight in this arc and neither has todoroki so far.

I'd also make the point that bakugo is heading towards shigaraki even though he has about as much capacity to be airborne as todoroki... Bakugo can't fly, all he does it use his explosions to flung himself places. Heck, arguably todoroki has more reliable ways to keep from shigaraki than bakugo has....

Xxx_reaper

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
There is a possibility that endeavour loses his quirk. It might be transferred to dabi. So there is a possibility that we might see a grand fight between dabi and shoto. Killing him would have shock value but there is a lot for horikoshi to show if shoto is alive. That's why I think he won't be killed off.

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shouto will die. It's basically a characteristic development to put all his focus sacrificing for deku than for his own progress.

Sirin

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Shouto will die. It's basically a characteristic development to put all his focus sacrificing for deku than for his own progress.
Killing off one of the most popular characters doesn’t contribute anything to his character development. We’ve already seen a few times that Shoto is willing to risk his life for the sake of his friends, there is no point in killing him to show it any further.

I also don’t think he’s going to lose his quirk. If anything, it’s much more likely that Enji is going to either die or lose his quirk, and then it will be up to Shoto to fight Dabi.

LgS_WaRioR

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Whoever likes it, Todoroki Shoto currently in the manga is the strongest student in Class A. Horikoshi knows this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Eh, as much as I like Shoto in particular and the whole Todoroki family and their issues in general - nah, sorry, not buying it. Right now it’s not his battle, there are no reasons for him to interfere. He’s not airborne, and he is not stupid - if he gets any closer to Tomura, he’ll die for nothing without contributing anything - neither for the battle, not for the plot. Even losing quirk in his case won’t contribute for the plot.
Like it or not, Endeavor is involved, his best friend is involved, and I repeat, whether you like it or not. Shoto has reason to get involved.

Sirin

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Whoever likes it, Todoroki Shoto currently in the manga is the strongest student in Class A. Horikoshi knows this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Like it or not, Endeavor is involved, his best friend is involved, and I repeat, whether you like it or not. Shoto has reason to get involved.
As long as you are unable to fight without touching the ground, it’s pretty pointless to get involved with Tomura. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Shoto ends up participating one way or another, precisely because of the reasons you’ve mentioned, but I think right now it’s not his moment to shine. It is probable, however, that when Gigantomachia arrives and brings along the rest of the LoV, Shoto will end up fighting Dabi.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Let's face it, shouto is not a tritagonist lead in performance or even notable achievements when you see the main lead and duertagonist show so much impressive battles and leading changes as pillars of the class, and he doesnt show any motivation on the same level as deku and bakugou in being number one. In fact, endeavor has settled on shouto surpassing him in his own way. I figure shouto overall has to take a fall in order to string consistency.

Shouto always felt like he was content playing the second stringer and the supporting back up guy to the real stars of the class and he does a good job, with all his power hori must've found out how impossible to keep him around when deku and bakugou grows in strength and possibly takes from their specialty as the power players and as main characters, so I theorize that shoto in order to progress without being capable of overshadowing the main leads as far as power goes, must either lose his life or he loses his quirk all together because endeavor really has more ties to dabi more than shouto does while his family drama is not a priority to his current focus, it's making his class happy. Shouto can just be more improved by letting his death or lose of quirk be the finale for endeavors and dabi character development as well boost the two boys into greater heights being the new faces of being the elite type of quirk users that todoroki once had.

Discuss.
So, because Shoto isn't obsessed with being the best hero he doesn't matter? I don't think that's supposed to be his role in the story.

But, talking about Shoto's role in the story as a whole is interesting. His link to the #2, turned #1 hero is a big part of it. His desire to become the kind of hero he wants to be and not become his father in terms of personality. His struggle to forgive his father eventually, if at all. Being another rival to Deku. Being the one to defeat Dabi as it represents two brothers' ideals coming into conflict. Shoto being the "handsome" one of the group. Nothing here indicates Horikoshi doesn't understand the character and wants him killed off.

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So, because Shoto isn't obsessed with being the best hero he doesn't matter? I don't think that's supposed to be his role in the story.

But, talking about Shoto's role in the story as a whole is interesting. His link to the #2, turned #1 hero is a big part of it. His desire to become the kind of hero he wants to be and not become his father in terms of personality. His struggle to forgive his father eventually, if at all. Being another rival to Deku. Being the one to defeat Dabi as it represents two brothers' ideals coming into conflict. Shoto being the "handsome" one of the group. Nothing here indicates Horikoshi doesn't understand the character and wants him killed off.
Shoto and Dabi fought would it really be a fight since shoto being much stronger than Dabi.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoto's ice power does give him an advantage. But, Horikoshi hasn't been subtle letting the audience know Dabi can't use his overwhelming firepower for long periods of time without hurting himself. My guess it's leading to him either getting cooling equipment or an ice quirk (from Shigaraki) to off-set his weakness.

Pr0teu5

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoto's ice power does give him an advantage. But, Horikoshi hasn't been subtle letting the audience know Dabi can't use his overwhelming firepower for long periods of time without hurting himself. My guess it's leading to him either getting cooling equipment or an ice quirk (from Shigaraki) to off-set his weakness.
Yeah, I can imagine Geten getting mortally wounded or something, and Shigaraki transferring his quirk to
Dabi.

He would be pretty hard to stop at that point.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I really doubt shoto would win against dabi. Shoto is one of the stronger students but dabi is a grown ass man and an exceptionally dangerous villain with a ton more experience than shoto. Dabi has his limitations but he isn't about to lose to a child IMO.

KingAzureRequiem

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I really doubt shoto would win against dabi. Shoto is one of the stronger students but dabi is a grown ass man and an exceptionally dangerous villain with a ton more experience than shoto. Dabi has his limitations but he isn't about to lose to a child IMO.
Some of the students have better showings than some of the adults. But that's beside the point. Shoto can use his powers consecutively unlike dani. Also Dabi just has overwhelming firepower that has a hard limit going for him.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Grown or not, Dabi can easily get shut down by ice. Geten accidentally doing it showed us. But, we have seen him put up a good fight when directly fighting Geten. Problem is without a way to overcome ice, he'll eventually lose. And, unlike Geten, Todoroki can generate ice.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Shouto would defeat Dabi with ease. I don't see what Dabi as shown which would put them at the same level.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Grown or not, Dabi can easily get shut down by ice. Geten accidentally doing it showed us. But, we have seen him put up a good fight when directly fighting Geten. Problem is without a way to overcome ice, he'll eventually lose. And, unlike Geten, Todoroki can generate ice.
But.... geten didn't shut down dabi with ease. The two fought for a long ass time even though dabi had every disadvantage. Add to that, geten's ice powers currently being stronger than shoto's. Different of course but still stronger. Add to that simply more convenient since she can easily turn any water around into ice. Dabi is hurt by his own flames but if the situation calls to it he can push through the pain (at a cost).

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
But.... geten didn't shut down dabi with ease. The two fought for a long ass time even though dabi had every disadvantage. Add to that, geten's ice powers currently being stronger than shoto's. Different of course but still stronger. Add to that simply more convenient since she can easily turn any water around into ice. Dabi is hurt by his own flames but if the situation calls to it he can push through the pain (at a cost).
"With ease" was when Geten hit Dabi with his ice while putting up a barrier. But, even in Dabi and Geten's 1v1 it was only a matter to time before Dabi would lose. He was overheating.

As for Geten being stronger than Todoroki, I think it depends on the environment. If there's a lot of ice and water around, Geten is more powerful but if not, Todoroki wi.... Wait? Could Geten manipulate Todoroki's ice? Hmm..... If that's the case I'll have to rethink who's stronger.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
"With ease" was when Geten hit Dabi with his ice while putting up a barrier. But, even in Dabi and Geten's 1v1 it was only a matter to time before Dabi would lose. He was overheating.

As for Geten being stronger than Todoroki, I think it depends on the environment. If there's a lot of ice and water around, Geten is more powerful but if not, Todoroki wi.... Wait? Could Geten manipulate Todoroki's ice? Hmm..... If that's the case I'll have to rethink who's stronger.
That was just Geten startling Dabi and Tokoyami taking that chance to rush away, not Geten shutting down Dabi's powers because of the cold. If anything, the cold environment would help Dabi not overheat, just like Shoto needs to use his ice to not overheat.

Dabi will eventually get a second quirk or some Mr. Freeze equipment, that's for sure.