Character - Todoroki Shoto Discussion Thread | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Character Todoroki Shoto Discussion Thread

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, if Shoto fans feel like this, I can't imagine how fans of Iida feel...or fans of Momo...or fans of the female characters in Class A in general.

Seriously though. Perspective. For someone who isn't the protagonist (or co-protagonist) Shouto is doing rather well in terms of relevance and attention, especially compared to other characters in the story.

KOBA

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Didn't want to bring it, but, what are you even talking about? Mineta more popular than Shoto?
Let's check: Pixiv
Shoto Todoroki
13,924 works

Izuku Midoriya
13,398 works

Katsuki Bakugo
14,321 works

Minoru Mineta
556 works

Todoroki/Yaoyorozu
1,650 works (three times more than Mineta's general tag)

Miruko
1,049 works

It's just one platform, but others have pretty similar pattern.

The author is doing everything wrong to keep me invested because hes keeping todorokis story detached and short lived from the main plot.
Whole previous arc was about Shoto and his family. At this point we know about Todoroki family more, than we know about Midoriya and Bakugo's family all together. Come on, there's nothing to complain about.

Demonspeed

Runaway Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
What did Horikoshi even promise? :amuse

That last paragraph :lmao... Mineta-Momo all of sudden when any of them have far less screentime than Todoroki. I am quite sure he is far more popular than Miruko. Even if he wasn't, what would it change?

I'd argue every single panel Endeavor gets, is Shoto story development (and Dabi's for that matter). Of the three, he is the one with the most intricate storyline and yeah, he has taken a backseat, but it doesn't mean he is forever forgotten as his family is a big deal in heroaca.

Mirko being a fotm character doesn't change this. It's a series with a cast of 100+ characters and growing, can't give screentime to everyone all the time.

Initially I thought you were trolling as it reads a lot like a copy pasta, especially the rambling at the end, lol.
Honestly I think that Endeavor overshadows Shouto as a character. The whole "rebuild your family" thing affects all the Todoroki to an extent but Endeavor is at the core of it. I think Shouto needs a bit more than that.

Magero

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
A fifth wheel ? A wasted character ? A soon powerless third big three because of Bakugo and Deku's power creep ?
A lack of Horikoshi's writing ? The "Naruto too much and not enough developped side characters" syndrom going on and Todoroki is victim of it ?

Let it be the topic of the Shoto's relevance to the story issue. Let it be the topic that is discussed upon when a chapter doesn't fully involve Shoto' but we still see him and it bothers others because they love him (and you have the right to, I don't judge, really, I'm not sarcastic at all, you like the character you want and you can be invested in him as much as you like).
This topic isn't a substitue for when a chapter does fully involve Shoto, but is just a centered topic for the lots of debates around him.

Me, I'm not interested in him, I'm also not particuraly interested into debatting about him either. I just thought a full fledged topic about him could be usefull seeing how much of a debate he is character and storywise.
Enjoy.

PS : if this topic isn't suitable, you can, of course delete it. I just thought it could be usefull.
PS2 : I didn't create a "Toga topic" because this matter is only the matter of 1 or 2 overly obsessed fans about her so... There isn't a lot of debate to discuss about her but... eh... Feel free to open a topic about her like this one.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Bakugo is not going to power creep todoroki... Todoroki started out as the most powerful student and at least the more recent arcs have given him upgrades that specifically target his weaknesses. which weren't many or even to exploitable for the most part but still. His endeavor internship help him substantially increase his mobility and even power. It's at best extremely unlikely that bakugo and todoroki aren't about comparable. Midoriya isn't much of a factor in this because at this point whether he wins against bakugo or todoroki depends on how much he wants to win. Midoriya can push 45% and even land two hits with 100% before he falls.... That's an unsurmountable wall for the other kids if even pushing 45% midoriya compares.

As for the todoroki family drama, it's simply not interesting. At this point the only bit about it that seems interesting is whether enedeavor gets exposed for being a shitty human being and potentially arrested for it. Otherwise he is just actively a piece of shit who got away with it.

That said, todoroki is as relevant as ever, though simply less than bakugo.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I changed the name to make it more of a general thread about the character.

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's outshined by his father and thisntheroetical dabi sub plot, it should go into the narrative shouto needs to shine as a character instead of being a catalyst for enji and everything related to him.

Transfer other characters that serve as his supporting characters. Maybe momo, iida and madman. As a todoochako shipper ochako as well. But this is my personal interest, but serious shoutos spin off should be a darker and more mature approach to this series and the consequences about up coming heroes being effected by mental and emotional abuse that showcases more of a grittier tone than the retraining drama comedy that the todoroki plot showcases in the regular series.

One that takes risks and shows shouto more than a emotionless foil to everyones positive and eccentric archetype. Shouto would be more angrier, smarter, more bold snd dominate, more independent of his choices and his goals without being tied to another character, more snarkier and comedic and finally have more opportunities to show of his quirk competence compared to other main heroes that have to sideline him in order to keep him from stealing their important to the story.

So yeah. Theres also more sexual fanservice and adult situations for an older audience but not so much it reaches senin levels. Shouto is to damn stunted for a Shonen manga imo and needs to be more exposed in his complexity.

I hope hori doesn't make shouto the toki of the series, meaning he has to die in order for bakuraoh and izushiro to remain in the top.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Bakugo is not going to power creep todoroki...
Umm haven't you seen the 2nd movie....

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Nope

NegaiFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
He's outshined by his father and thisntheroetical dabi sub plot, it should go into the narrative shouto needs to shine as a character instead of being a catalyst for enji and everything related to him.

Transfer other characters that serve as his supporting characters. Maybe momo, iida and madman. As a todoochako shipper ochako as well. But this is my personal interest, but serious shoutos spin off should be a darker and more mature approach to this series and the consequences about up coming heroes being effected by mental and emotional abuse that showcases more of a grittier tone than the retraining drama comedy that the todoroki plot showcases in the regular series.

One that takes risks and shows shouto more than a emotionless foil to everyones positive and eccentric archetype. Shouto would be more angrier, smarter, more bold snd dominate, more independent of his choices and his goals without being tied to another character, more snarkier and comedic and finally have more opportunities to show of his quirk competence compared to other main heroes that have to sideline him in order to keep him from stealing their important to the story.

So yeah. Theres also more sexual fanservice and adult situations for an older audience but not so much it reaches senin levels. Shouto is to damn stunted for a Shonen manga imo and needs to be more exposed in his complexity.

I hope hori doesn't make shouto the toki of the series, meaning he has to die in order for bakuraoh and izushiro to remain in the top.
Shoto's recent exploit with him managing to carry his father, Katsuki, and Izuku to relative safety when all three were injured is something I would call a moment to shine for him. He's had a couple good moments that I think people tend to forget. One of the more recent ones is when he stopped Ending when Endeavor hesitated. Yeah. Outshining who again, exactly?

This manga doesn't need to take on a grittier tone, especially with what we've already gotten. I think it's safe to say that we've had our fair share of Endeavor being a terrible father through flashbacks. I think Horikoshi has handled his character arc extremely well. And as for Shoto himself, I'd say he's been handled relatively well.

From his complete intro and backstory from the Sports Festival to the Hero Killer incident to rescuing Katsuki from the League of Villains, he's had several moments to shine, and be funny. You don't need to get all risky with tasteless fanservice. Same with a lot of things you've mentioned. He's not tied down by another character, nor is he incapable of showing emotions. Horikoshi doesn't have to make him take on some new traits just to supposedly make him a little more relatable.

He's still a popular character! And I don't think he'll be killed off.

Batman22wins

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoto power and character is great. How is saving people, not a feat for him. He closed their wounds, he probably the reason Bakugou not bleeding out right now.

avietar

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
If I understand this correctly then it's likely, though not necessarily certain, that without the hardware to handle the additional quirk they would suffer the drawbacks. Not just anyone can handle multiple quirks...
Just wanted to point out that it was mentioned that Dabi/Toya has 'his mother's constitution', which I take to mean that he has a body meant for an ice quirk. And that this is the reason why his body is so bad at handling his fire quirk and why it disfigures him and eats him up from the inside.

If Dabi/Toya would receive an ice quirk, I don't think his hardware would have an issue. In fact, I think his body would take to it quite easily, as it was made for an ice quirk. This is why I think that Dabi will end up with an ice quirk in addition to his fire quirk, which would make him the perfect antithesis to Shoto.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Just wanted to point out that it was mentioned that Dabi/Toya has 'his mother's constitution', which I take to mean that he has a body meant for an ice quirk. And that this is the reason why his body is so bad at handling his fire quirk and why it disfigures him and eats him up from the inside.

If Dabi/Toya would receive an ice quirk, I don't think his hardware would have an issue. In fact, I think his body would take to it quite easily, as it was made for an ice quirk. This is why I think that Dabi will end up with an ice quirk in addition to his fire quirk, which would make him the perfect antithesis to Shoto.
That is all contingent on the people who made said assertion being able to tell dabi's constitution can handle an ice quirk. But.... How would that even work? It doesn't sound likely that a doctor can look at a body and go "Yep, his constitution is adequate for ice and strength type quirks but not fire and fart quirks.".

Also, I think that would be a wrong interpretation of what the manga said. Dabi's constitution was compared to his mothers as being weak thus he couldn't handle his own fire. That doesn't mean dabi is suited for ice, it just means his constitution, a factor beyond his control -as in, training can't fix it-, is simply not adequate for him to use his quirk safely. A more reasonable interpretation of this would be that rei was not even suited for her own ice. Since people in this series making these comments are not necessarily doctors or authorities on the issues at hand then odds are that they might not even be right about their assesments. Dabi is a pretty damn competent fighter after all... As in, even with his weak constitution he is a top threat in the league and PLF overall. Maybe rather than a weak constitution the issue is his quirk being too powerful overall. Or maybe he and endeavor just misunderstood it and thus his training approach was wrong. Or maybe rather than focusing on developing the quirk they should have focused on developing dabi's frame later on rather than as a child so that he could more safely use the quirk.

ShadowSJG

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Shoto's gonna be ostracized

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Man, if Shoto fans feel like this, I can't imagine how fans of Iida feel...or fans of Momo...or fans of the female characters in Class A in general.

Seriously though. Perspective. For someone who isn't the protagonist (or co-protagonist) Shouto is doing rather well in terms of relevance and attention, especially compared to other characters in the story.
currently hes not doing anything spectacular. He's still failing to meet expectations that he should have met according to hype and built up. His current feats would be something the hospital lady could do or iida, hes been turned into the sakura of this series.

NegaiFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
currently hes not doing anything spectacular. He's still failing to meet expectations that he should have met according to hype and built up. His current feats would be something the hospital lady could do or iida, hes been turned into the sakura of this series.
He's... not...? *breathes deeply* Dude. Are. You. Kidding?

Let's make something clear, Shoto is NOT Sakura. And his current feats from the PLF War Arc aren't something just anyone could do. Can Tenya handle Toya's flames? Can Recovery Girl fight in this capacity?

How is he NOT doing anything spectacular? Compared to Tenya, like you mentioned, Shoto's ACTUALLY fighting! Despite the sheer pain and anguish he's in from discovering the truth behind his brother, who wanted to kill him, he's still managing to put up a fight. He's not letting his pain shackle him down. That's strength. Heck, Endeavor hasn't been able to do anything yet after learning this truth! His son has!

I'd say that's real strength, more than anything. And you're deluded to think that Shoto isn't doing something spectacular by willing himself to keep going.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
So this is something that has been on my mind and I have brought it up a few times in the chapter discussion thread:

In that chapter it seems like the point is made that for shoto to use 100% of his fire he needs to basically raise his temperature to his utmost limit. But... doesn't that mean that to some extent both halves of his quirks at sort of at odds with one another? at least when it comes to using his fire side's full power at least. Shoto's ice basically helps him lower his temperature and thus reduce the damage from his fire. And his fire can potentially do the same for his ice.

But... in doing that then doesn't that mean each side of his quirk basically also limits the other? As in, if shoto uses his ice to reduce his temperature then he is also lowering his fire output since the fire requires heat. And the same could potentially apply to his ice.

now, that isn't to say shoto's quirk has a bad combination but there are so caveats to consider, perhaps some that shoto has not even discovered yet. The most important consideration is that if shoto aims for full power of one side then the other one is basically shut down. And in activating the other half he is lowering the one he was already using. Of course, we know there is a point at which both are usable but by all appearances shoto shouldn't be able to use 100% of either at that point.

I am thinking that perhaps in the future shoto will aim to vastly improve the speed at which he can go from zero to full speed between sides. Which will allow him to maintain his body temperature within safe thresholds and maintain his offensive power. Well, that or perhaps shoto eventually figures out how to have 100% output with both sides at the same time, which is the absolute best case scenario for him. But that doesn't seem probable for the time being, at least with the apparent current dynamic.

That also brings me to another point... perhaps endeavor miscalculated what the best quirk to mix with his own would be. Hot and cold has its merits of course but 100% output being limited by the harm it causes to the body or by the other half being used is just short of ideal. Perhaps the ideal quirk to combine with his own would have been one that effectively makes the user heatproof. Something like tetsu's or kirishima's quirk sounds pretty much ideal for instance (though I am not sure of kirishima's ability to handle heat). Being heatproof would basically mean the user could abuse fire without consequence to his own body and push the quirk well further and for longer.

avietar

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
So this is something that has been on my mind and I have brought it up a few times in the chapter discussion thread:

In that chapter it seems like the point is made that for shoto to use 100% of his fire he needs to basically raise his temperature to his utmost limit. But... doesn't that mean that to some extent both halves of his quirks at sort of at odds with one another? at least when it comes to using his fire side's full power at least. Shoto's ice basically helps him lower his temperature and thus reduce the damage from his fire. And his fire can potentially do the same for his ice.

But... in doing that then doesn't that mean each side of his quirk basically also limits the other? As in, if shoto uses his ice to reduce his temperature then he is also lowering his fire output since the fire requires heat. And the same could potentially apply to his ice.

now, that isn't to say shoto's quirk has a bad combination but there are so caveats to consider, perhaps some that shoto has not even discovered yet. The most important consideration is that if shoto aims for full power of one side then the other one is basically shut down. And in activating the other half he is lowering the one he was already using. Of course, we know there is a point at which both are usable but by all appearances shoto shouldn't be able to use 100% of either at that point.

I am thinking that perhaps in the future shoto will aim to vastly improve the speed at which he can go from zero to full speed between sides. Which will allow him to maintain his body temperature within safe thresholds and maintain his offensive power. Well, that or perhaps shoto eventually figures out how to have 100% output with both sides at the same time, which is the absolute best case scenario for him. But that doesn't seem probable for the time being, at least with the apparent current dynamic.

That also brings me to another point... perhaps endeavor miscalculated what the best quirk to mix with his own would be. Hot and cold has its merits of course but 100% output being limited by the harm it causes to the body or by the other half being used is just short of ideal. Perhaps the ideal quirk to combine with his own would have been one that effectively makes the user heatproof. Something like tetsu's or kirishima's quirk sounds pretty much ideal for instance (though I am not sure of kirishima's ability to handle heat). Being heatproof would basically mean the user could abuse fire without consequence to his own body and push the quirk well further and for longer.
I think this is a really astute obervation. We will probably get more info on Shoto's quirk as he tries to figure out a way to combat Touya's intense heat. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that Shoto's quirk is actually not superior in power to Touya's quirk, because Shoto's cold side can't get cold enough to get past the heat, and his hot side can't get hot enough to match the heat. Both Touya's and Shoto's quirks have their upside and downside (Shoto's quirk allows him to regulate his body temperature so he doesn't harm himself, but his fire and ice power isn't powerful enough in and of itself to overpower Touya's quirk. Touya's quirk is powerful enough to overpower Shoto's quirk, but it does severe damage to his own body) so neither has a clear advantage over the other. This means that a future brotherbrawl is going to depend on stamina, quirk control, and strategy.

Another interesting thing to consider: We still don't know the name and exact nature of Touya's quirk. I have half a feeling that we are going to find that out through Tomura, who can tell people's quirks by looking at them. It might be that there is more to Touya's quirk than we think.

Last edited:

Rizaadxn

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
He's... not...? *breathes deeply* Dude. Are. You. Kidding?

Let's make something clear, Shoto is NOT Sakura. And his current feats from the PLF War Arc aren't something just anyone could do. Can Tenya handle Toya's flames? Can Recovery Girl fight in this capacity?

How is he NOT doing anything spectacular? Compared to Tenya, like you mentioned, Shoto's ACTUALLY fighting! Despite the sheer pain and anguish he's in from discovering the truth behind his brother, who wanted to kill him, he's still managing to put up a fight. He's not letting his pain shackle him down. That's strength. Heck, Endeavor hasn't been able to do anything yet after learning this truth! His son has!

I'd say that's real strength, more than anything. And you're deluded to think that Shoto isn't doing something spectacular by willing himself to keep going.
All of what you've said here is right. Linkmyboy is just a delusion Shoto fan that complains and complains, never to be satisfied. There's a reason why he(?) always get banned on NF, link is basically a meme on there now because he always comes back on alt accounts complaining, just to get banned again and again.

@sho87 seriously, why do you even read MHA? If your only desire is to see Shoto do amazing shit and you don't think that's happening, just stop reading. Looking through your logs on here you've been like this since 2018... always saying you'll leave but coming back to the manga anyways, or complaining about Deku and Bakugo being more important, or the fact that the ENDEAVOR Agency Arc wasn't focused on Shoto. It's like you're fishing for something to complain about by always coming back... Take a break or something man.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I think this is a really astute obervation. We will probably get more info on Shoto's quirk as he tries to figure out a way to combat Touya's intense heat. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out that Shoto's quirk is actually not superior in power to Touya's quirk, because Shoto's cold side can't get cold enough to get past the heat, and his hot side can't get hot enough to match the heat. Both Touya's and Shoto's quirks have their upside and downside (Shoto's quirk allows him to regulate his body temperature so he doesn't harm himself, but his fire and ice power isn't powerful enough in and of itself to overpower Touya's quirk. Touya's quirk is powerful enough to overpower Shoto's quirk, but it does severe damage to his own body) so neither has a clear advantage over the other. This means that a future brotherbrawl is going to depend on stamina, quirk control, and strategy.

Another interesting thing to consider: We still don't know the name and exact nature of Touya's quirk. I have half a feeling that we are going to find that out through Tomura, who can tell people's quirks by looking at them. It might be that there is more to Touya's quirk than we think.
Welp, going by last week it looks like dabi simply overpowered shoto. I am not sure if the situation is that shoto has higher resistance to fire than dabi or rather their resistance is comparable but dabi still struggles because his flame is stronger. The scenario is ultimately bad for both of them, I am assuming that their fires colliding only makes both of their temperatures rise even further.

I suppose its possible that touya's cremation has more going for it than we have seen though I am not exactly expecting an evolution of sorts. Dabi is already a pretty damn skilled fighter. I am mostly expecting him and other league members to get second, complementary quirks from shigaraki.

As for a future confrontation... It's hard to say. Shoto has advanced a fair bit with his fire but now it looks like his ice lags. What I am thinking is that a future step for him is to apply what he has learned with his fire to his ice. Basically compression and release... Using 100% of both sides at the same time seems unlikely but a close second to that would be to then practice so that he can basically switch between each side's 100% nigh instantly. Thus being able to use his full power and regulate his temperature constantly.

sho87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Accept that Horikoshi doesn't want Shoto to be better than Bakugo and Midoriya when we all know that Shoto is the best of the 3?
You guys are trippin. Shouto was on top of the trio in the first two arcs. Then Deku took out Muscleman, Overhaul, trained like hell to master OFA and got two new quirks. He can now go 100% and take a lot less damage and he's got a good enough grip on his quirks to mix em up in awesome combos. Bakugo is probably the weakest of the trio now
I also think that Bakugou at the beginning of this arc was the weakest of the 3, now with this new type of explosion we would have to see what he is capable of, for now we have seen a considerable increase in his speed (before he unlock this explosion he was able to match Deku speed 30% OFA).

Could he do the Howitzer Impact with that explosion? If so then that would be so OP.
1. I think Compress sealed Toya away for the moment, so he's likely done. Not to mention, he's used up a lot of firepower, so he's probably gonna burn himself out if he tries fighting Shoto again.

2. You're right that Shoto may not have been fighting seriously... but I don't expect him to rebound just like that in order to take down Toya. Obviously, he's going through a lot.

3. Toya's not gonna fight anymore because Enji's out of commission for the moment. The fact that his father isn't watching makes trying to kill Shoto meaningless for him, thus the best option now would be to retreat.

4. You can say Horikoshi's writing is bad. That's your opinion. I'm honestly not excited about the prospect of a third movie. But at the same time, I'm a little excited to see what could come from it. Hopefully it's after this whole mess of a pandemic dies down.

Okay, said my piece. Really impressed with Compress in this chapter, plus got a chuckle out of Spinner's faces when he and the others were being choked by the cables. Horikoshi is spoiling us with all these insane reveals this arc.
It is true that Shoto wasn't fighting seriously but Touya also wasn't fighting seriously, Touya was playing with Shoto (burning him slowly) to psychologically destroy Enji, in this chapter we see that Touya with a Jetburn was able to take Shoto unconscious, imagine if Touya do a Prominence Burn to Shoto...

Although Touya could also die with that Prominence Burn.
Nah I would still put shouto as the weakest because unlike the other two he weak at close range and slower. Deku and Bakugou have good ranged and close range options.
I can't believe Shoto lost
As of now shoutos the weakest of the three both psychologicaly/mentally and physically. He doesn't have the heroes resolve or thebfighting talented of the former yet despite going through 3 arcs where shouto should have gotten more assured of himself and his issues with his family and thats bad writing, hori doesn't want shoutonto progress on the same level as deku and bakugou as far as being certain heroic pillars. And he had a chance at the provisional to do this when he watched Endeavor fight.

Hori just hates shouto, its Gohan all over again.

Last edited by a moderator: