Seinen - Tongari Boushi no Atelier by Kamome Shirahama | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Tongari Boushi no Atelier by Kamome Shirahama

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Tongari Boushi no Atelier

Author: Sahirahama Kamome
Genre: Fantasy, magic
Magazine : Morning two

Synopsis :
Coco, a girl living in a small village, had been dreaming of becoming a magician since little. But people who don't know how to use magic since birth are unable to become magicians, or witness the moment magic occurs.
But one day, Coco accidentally saw Qifrey, a magician that was visiting the village casting a spell. This is a magical story that had fallen upon a girl, weaved by despair and hope. (from Mal )

@ everyone :arf only 23 chap to catch. really recommending this, its amazing so far :zomg

Last edited:

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Post contains thoughts of the first 6 chapters!
I only read 6 chapters so far, but it's very charming and the art is stunning. My only - minor - complaint is that the start felt a little bit rushed. I think it would have been better if they had focused more on the relationship between Coco and her mother at the beginning, because I didn't really feel attached to their bond, which kinda took away the feels-trip after Coco crystallized(?) her mother. Other than that, the series looks quite promising. I absolutely adore Coco, Qifrey is awesome and I even like Agete very much (is something wrong with me?). I see so much potential in Agete that I already turned a blind eye on her flaws and bad behaviour. I mean, what she did to Coco was actually horrendous and Qifrey didn't even scold Agete one a bit. Anyway, Coco has this perk of lightening up the mood in every panel, especially during her interactions with Qifrey, their dynamics are hilarious. Another strong point of this series is how magic is actually applied here, it's pleasantly different from other series with similar fantasy-elements.

It seems the masked antagonist deliberately set her/his eyes on Coco long before, which makes me wonder how Coco is tied to the overall story. I also want to note that I have my - slight - suspicion towards the Witch Auditorium and Qifrey. : )

:lmao
Coco <3
Agete <3

Thanks for the rec, @Erinyes-chan!

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@syx im so glad you started it, you re really amazing

yes i definitely shared your feeling about 1st chapter being rushed and that contributes to give an anecdoctical /weaker feeling about her connection with her mother rather something strmore solid. but things are getting better and better.
Agete (which was changed to Agathe later) is great, love her a lot, yes she really was mean, but you ll get to learn more about her, actually all the character are adorable, yes Qifrey sounds shady to me too. :errr
theres some interesting world building in the latest chapters released, yes i like this manga a lot its sweet and nice, with adorable char some fun parts with a solid plot so far.

Im really so happy you gave it a try, :wtf i was afraid you may not be interested by this kind of readings.

revo

The Witch of Certainty
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Thank you Erin for recommending this, I just wanted to check it a little but ended reading all the chapters :zomg.

I hope it gains more and more readers. The story is full of mystery and the world becomes more and more complex in each chapter. Magic world themes are always great and honestly this manga gives sometimes a Harry Potter feeling. It's like you're reading a fairy tale.

Coco (the MC) is simple and adorable, the cast is great too and everyone have so unique designs on their own. The art is definetly the strongest point here, it feels like old drawings in an old book.

Looking forward to more chapters, it's a story that always makes you wanting for more *:・゚✧

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

Agete (which was changed to Agathe later) is great, love her a lot, yes she really was mean, but you ll get to learn more about her, actually all the character are adorable, yes Qifrey sounds shady to me too. :errr
Oh, surprised that you like her as well. She is incredibly moe and smug. :lmao

Yeah, I have this uneasy feel towards Qifrey, especially after the recent chapter (#13) I read where he examined Coco's magic ink. Even his usual behaviour when it comes to the Brimhats makes me very uncomfortable. Not saying he is the bad guy here, but I fear when worse comes to worse Qifrey might put his personal matters with the Brimhats above the wellbeing of his students. Well, time will telll.

On another note, I got a glimpse on Agathe's background. Sad to see her being cast away, because she couldn't live up to the expectations of the people and her (noble) family. Her mother is probably a huge deal who set the bar extremely high, I assume. The manga already pointed out that Agathe is a very hard-working witch, I hope she can prove those people who shunted her off that she is a capable person.

And as expected, the Council of Magic Security consists of completely deluded pricks. Well, Estheath (Esdeath?) is at least one hell of a douchebag, what is this asinine approach? I don't understand people who refuse to grasp the situation and don't think outside the box. God, I loved when Qifrey pointed that epic sword of his at Estheath. Can't wait to see when the Council of Magic Security clashes with Qifrey, Coco and co. in the future.

So, the Brimhat person uses his blood to enhance magic ink? Or is the blood actually some form of strong magic ink? And why did Tarta see light when Qifrey used Coco's enhanced magic ink? Does this mean Qifrey unintentionally activated a magic which he isn't aware of? Or even worse... did Qifrey intentionally activated a magic there? I already thought it was very hasty to use that magic ink there without any form of warning. It didn't seem like something Qifrey would do.

Great pages:

I take both of them are thinking "what do we do?!", which makes this page absolutely beautiful and Agathe very strong.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

yeah Agathe is fantastic :zomg, wow you re almost done catching up ^^. yep Qifrey has definitely some dark side, not sure whats hes hiding but im sure hes somehow connected to the brimhats, i m not saying hesll turn out an Isabella 2.0 but might have his own goals/might be using his disciples especially coco, despite seeming atached to them.
yeah he definitely used a kind of magic i suspect...
... he might have erased partially his memories

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Okay, I caught up with the series and I can't believe I have to stop reading after this badass and thrilling page: :lmao

Qifrey will surely bring out his bigger guns now. Can't wait to see what he will display to us.

And you might be totally right, Erinyes. Qifrey surely did erase the memories of Nornoa. Now, I also understand why he said "forgive me, Mr. Nornoa". I thought he was apologizing for the commotion he caused or the fact that he is asking him to keep the events a secret, but that's not it. Boy... Qifrey is really pushing it. It's probably not even his first time using magic on someone outside the given laws. It wouldn't surprise me if he turns out to be a former Brimhat. Whatever his deal with the Brimhats is, they did quite a number on Qifrey, that much we can be certain of. It's quite funny to see how the Brimhats and the Witches point the finger at each other. Alaira even went as far as to use her lasts words to tell the kids to not let themselves be deceived by the Brimhats. Makes me think that there is some truth behind the words of the Brimhats.

Riche was the star of the test in my opinion. Even though I understand where she is coming from, I don't fully agree with her. A little flexibility isn't gonna hurt anyone and it certainly won't make you become someone you don't want to be. But I can't blame a kid like Riche here. That's what happens if adults don't teach or talk with you properly.

Does anyone have any idea why the Brimhats are so focused on Coco? I can't come up with anything, nothing points to a connection between Coco and the Brimhats so far in my eyes.

P.S.: I'm not really sold on the sentiment that magic shouldn't be used on people. I absolutely don't support this.

Screens:

I really liked this two pages where Eunie expected to be laughed at, but then realized that the people around him are just waiting there for him to kick ass.

Damn, Agathe's expression is drawn magnificently. That panel gave me goosebumps. I love it when artists can convey the feelings of their characters onto the readers.

Last edited:

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
@syx you did it, im so glad !! hope you enjoyed it !

yes the "forgive me" is the reason why i thought he did erase his memories.
yeah Riche was wonderful, i think she ll grow more flexible later, but i lover her way of doing things, shes got a quite poetcal vision of magics :zomg
I really liked this two pages where Eunie expected to be laughed at, but then realized that the people around him are just waiting there for him to kick ass.
yep loved this part too, Eunie ended up being some valuable nakama, his teacher was disgusting.

i liked this historical background a lot :

despite being fictional theres some realistic vibes, and loe teh tragic past, we can feel the violence suggested without being graphic.

Again huge thxs @revo and you for giving it a chance :zomg

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Qifrey said:
Since the Day of Conspiracy, Witches have been barred from entering the conflict of others. Can you guess why? When we enter a fight, it's as good as over.

Such badass line from Qifrey. He might have his shady sides, but you can't deny the awesomeness his character represents. I was quite impressed by his feats in this chapter considering his poor condition. Not to mention that it's implied that he hold back on top of that. Anyway, it felt a little bit weird when the fight suddenly turned into a riddle, but it may be better this way than to let the likes of the kids - magically - fight their way out. Tetia was very sweet and stole the show in this chapter. Next chapter will be lit, because Agathe. :zomg

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Such badass line from Qifrey. He might have his shady sides, but you can't deny the awesomeness his character represents. I was quite impressed by his feats in this chapter considering his poor condition. Not to mention that it's implied that he hold back on top of that. Anyway, it felt a little bit weird when the fight suddenly turned into a riddle, but it may be better this way than to let the likes of the kids - magically - fight their way out. Tetia was very sweet and stole the show in this chapter. Next chapter will be lit, because Agathe. :zomg
Yeah he was awesome, and felt the same about the riddle, it came in such an expected moment, for me at least. but i found those panels sad :pout

Looking forward Agathe's too, also loved this Orugio's Item, he seems to be an awesome mage !!!

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yeah, Orugio definitely deserves some/more love. He came off as someone unbearable at the very beginning, but quickly proved himself to be a very decent person and mage. The lack of screentime makes me forget about him, but I would surely appreciate to see more of him.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Has anyone read the 26th chapter? I honestly didn't expect the focus on the Magic Council and its members in this chapter. Seemed more like a chapter for the end of an arc. However, the chapter was quite interesting. Seeing Esth interact with other members of the council was like watching him from another angle. He left - even if it's a little - a better impression on me. Yeah, still very strict and a 100% by the book guy, but the others acknowledge him and Esth doesn't appear like a douche around them. So, he has that going for him. I think I'm gonna like Utowin a lot, because he is kinda laid-back but still quite perceptive and probably doesn't go strict by the book. Don't have any opinion on the twins or Garuga yet. The twins could turn out to be quite the funny duo, we will see. And Lulucy is damn gorgeous. <3

Not much going on on Coco's end. I hope the author picks up the pace a little bit. Couccoureaux is on his way, let's see if he will contribute in any form. And Coco is being considered a savior, I really wonder what this is all about in regards to Coco-chan.

No screentime for Agathe in this chapter. An absolute no-go. : /

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Yeah, Orugio definitely deserves some/more love. He came off as someone unbearable at the very beginning, but quickly proved himself to be a very decent person and mage. The lack of screentime makes me forget about him, but I would surely appreciate to see more of him.
Has anyone read the 26th chapter? I honestly didn't expect the focus on the Magic Council and its members in this chapter. Seemed more like a chapter for the end of an arc. However, the chapter was quite interesting. Seeing Esth interact with other members of the council was like watching him from another angle. He left - even if it's a little - a better impression on me. Yeah, still very strict and a 100% by the book guy, but the others acknowledge him and Esth doesn't appear like a douche around them. So, he has that going for him. I think I'm gonna like Utowin a lot, because he is kinda laid-back but still quite perceptive and probably doesn't go strict by the book. Don't have any opinion on the twins or Garuga yet. The twins could turn out to be quite the funny duo, we will see. And Lulucy is damn gorgeous. <3

Not much going on on Coco's end. I hope the author picks up the pace a little bit. Couccoureaux is on his way, let's see if he will contribute in any form. And Coco is being considered a savior, I really wonder what this is all about in regards to Coco-chan.

No screentime for Agathe in this chapter. An absolute no-go. : /
Yeah esth was interesting in this chap, same didnt expect a full council focus, but still an interesting chap, with new chars exposition.

too bad no Agathe :pout

but found some agathe and coco cosplay :zomg

:awe

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Yeah esth was interesting in this chap, same didnt expect a full council focus, but still an interesting chap, with new chars exposition.

too bad no Agathe :pout

but found some agathe and coco cosplay :zomg

:awe

Those are nice cosplays, thank god not one of these forced sexualized ones. Agathe's hair in particular is awesome. :zomg

Oh, and I definitely have to get my hands on the volumes. Too bad the english versions are not available yet on amazon. :nomoar

Wow, we got a beautiful cover page for chapter #27.
And Qifrey is still kicking, that's not bad for someone in such a state. Can we please take a moment and appreciate Qifrey's epicness in this chapter? He totally outperformed the Brimhat. :zomg By the way, Qifrey makes every water technique have style. Qifrey's connection with the Brimhats was further implied in this chapter. Seems like Qifrey is known among some of the Brimhats, at least Qifrey thinks that way. I wonder if the "the Brimhat with the same eyes as me" is someone who took Qifrey's eye or of it is a (twin) brother/sister of his? Damn, things got quite interesting there.

Alaira's decision to stay with the kids at first, and not blindly rush towards Qifrey was a nice and smart little detail. That goes to Coco as well who didn't waste any time to just wait and hide. Agathe is finally back too. <3 I don't know why Coco is the main interest for the Brimhats, but that is something to be answered later on I guess. Awesome chpater!

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Those are nice cosplays, thank god not one of these forced sexualized ones. Agathe's hair in particular is awesome. :zomg

Oh, and I definitely have to get my hands on the volumes. Too bad the english versions are not available yet on amazon. :nomoar

Wow, we got a beautiful cover page for chapter #27.
And Qifrey is still kicking, that's not bad for someone in such a state. Can we please take a moment and appreciate Qifrey's epicness in this chapter? He totally outperformed the Brimhat. :zomg By the way, Qifrey makes every water technique have style. Qifrey's connection with the Brimhats was further implied in this chapter. Seems like Qifrey is known among some of the Brimhats, at least Qifrey thinks that way. I wonder if the "the Brimhat with the same eyes as me" is someone who took Qifrey's eye or of it is a (twin) brother/sister of his? Damn, things got quite interesting there.

Alaira's decision to stay with the kids at first, and not blindly rush towards Qifrey was a nice and smart little detail. That goes to Coco as well who didn't waste any time to just wait and hide. Agathe is finally back too. <3 I don't know why Coco is the main interest for the Brimhats, but that is something to be answered later on I guess. Awesome chpater!
Syx-kun :zomg ! so glad you keep reading it ♥ Loved this chapter 1st Agaaaaaaaaaaaaaaathe ♥

2nd Qifrey epicness as you mentioned, he was absolutely great, yeah now im concerned with the eye thing, what happened to him ? im concerned too with the brimhats condition, the guy mentioned what happened to him.

here some gorgeaous pics from Shirahama twitter ♥
https://twitter.com/shirahamakamome

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Du8bAKnVYAAfoQE.jpg

non atelier related :

also her some of her comics drawings https://kyikyikyi.tumblr.com/

from
fanarts

from @Ryagawa

found on tumblr

another cosplay :)

Maybe should have posted those on your thread :errr

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Finally, the next chapter has been released and it's looking lit!

We start with a mysterious person who kinda questions the overall system in regards to magic:
"To transubstantiate flesh. 'Tis profanity. To trangress the mind. 'Tis oppression. To transform the world. 'Tis destruction. To transcend mortality. 'Tis taboo [...] Magic enables us to do anytihng, so why is there so much we mustn't do?"

It's nothing special (and can be applied to many other things), but it still feels like a very strong quote for me, definitely one of my favorite quotes in this series. It gave me goosebumps during my read. I really would like to know who that person is and if we have actually seen him (I just assume it's a guy) or not. I do understand his doubts, but of course it doesn't work like that. There are too many people who only have their own interest in mind and would stop at nothing to gain whatever they desire.

Agathe <3, Coco and Tetia were great, I loved how they dealt with the situation even though they are completely different. Coco the more naive one, selflessly trying to save others while Agathe is the more reasonable person, but has trouble to press forward and then there is Tetia in-between, serving as the bridge between those opposites. And the best part of it, none of them acted stubborn and did their own thing. They all sit together and prepared themselves to deal with the situation together, simply reasonable and logical. No forced drama. Too bad that the plan didn't work out. All three did a spectacular job, please more of these type of battles in the future! Iguin is messing with our dear Coco, I hope he won't accomplish anything. I would prefer Eunie to be not rescued here, but Coco being kinda forced to save him with forbidden magic would make for an interesting twist.

P.S.: I wonder if the character to Coco's right is just Coco herself in a more stylish - and stunning - attire or someone else?

P.S.2: I love Agathe. I love her with all her pros and cons. If this series keeps this level of quality, then Agathe has a good chance to be one of my all time favorite characters. <3

Seraph

Reaction score
Country
Finland
Oh my god,there is a Tongari Boushi no Atelier-Thread here on MH?! I never knew...:kappa

I've fairly recently caught up to this Series and i gotta say it's honestly very intriguing and well written,the characters are really loveable and fun too.

"But Seraph! It only has 28 Chapters,the Release Schedule is also tough to keep up with,it's about Witches and Magic don't we have enough of that already???"

Okay cool,but that ain't gonna stop me from reading and enjoying it right now. :hurr (This was completely made up btw...)

This newest Chapter was really good,i liked that P1 Quote a lot actually. The particulars could be applied to more things than just Magic but just it being said in the context that is this Magically touched World we find ourselves in in TBnA has a lot more weight and depth to it. You also can't help but wonder if it was a guy or a girl that said it and if we met him/her before or if he/she plays an important Role later on. I'm guessing he/she will.:grumble

Agathe is probably my favorite in this series as well. Reasonable,Smart,Wise and the complete opposite to Coco. Which gives her a good contrast to the rest of the group and ironically makes their chemistry a lot better. She had some nice moments in this Chapter again,stopping Coco from using Forbidden Magic and remaining the Voice of reason throughout. Just great.

Speaking of Coco,this idea with negating the Magic was pretty clever i give her that even though it didn't work it's not something you'd usually think of or at least the other Witches since they are so used to using Magic for all kinds of things unlike Coco.

Last but not least,Tetia and Iguin. Iguin is probably going to continue trying to manipulate Coco to use the Forbidden Magic after all which would mean that Coco would break one of the Witch Taboo's and we'd see the consequences that follow up on that. Eunie staying a Wolf would be nice but i can't see it happen,thanks to Iguin. Coco might struggle a bit but might end up using it for Eunie's sake,ready for the consequences and all that.
Now Tetia,she's quirky and seems to be the Middle Ground between Agathe and Coco. Hard to get a read on her at times but she remains the border between the other 2,she has some nice moments from time to time. Definitely likeable as well.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Chapter 29 wow :zomg !

Not too much agathe, sadly this chapter.
But Orugio's greatness and a lot of feels, Riche's was the mvp this chapter she did really great. Also loved how now Eunie will be under Alaira protection ♥ !

greatest panes :
Orugio's intervention :

Riche & Eunie

alaira's ♥

btw heres the special cover for Vol.4 collector french edition :

+ here some Kamome Shirahama Star wars art posted on her twitter :

and some Marvel tribute with this Iron man illustration :

Last edited:

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
So this manga has been on my list for some time now because of the beautiful art, and finally started to read it. All caught up and ohhh yes. I do not regret it at all! Interesting setting, the design is amazing, storyline is pretty engaging and wants me to read more. Agathe is my favourite character so far.

Though am I the only one rooting for the brimhats at the moment? Professor Qifrey gives me strange vibes, and forbidden magic doesn't seem that bad at all. Poor Eunie though :(

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I Started these Manga today,read 2 chapters today

I really liked it so far

Qifrey reminds me of

Enishi from Rurouni Kenshin

Or Ozpin in RWBY

Thanks Erin and Asako for suggesting this manga