Seinen - Tongari Boushi no Atelier by Kamome Shirahama | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Seinen Tongari Boushi no Atelier by Kamome Shirahama

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
May 20th ~ May 26th (Credit to Kaizou_10 / Negative Syndicate)

01. Raise wa Tanin ga Ii #3 (57,423)
02. Tongari Boushi no Atelier #5 (56,787)

It came second in ranking this week's sales.

Last edited:

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Chapter 31 has been translated as well!

We learn more about the structure of the witches world. such as the introductions of the three sages. Also some interesting things have been brought up that I could definitly see being more important later in the story.
Witches cannot be doctors, there's only 1 of them. Why is that 1 allowed? Also totally see Coco rebelling against this lmao.
I love how we learn along with Coco - sometimes I forget she knows nothing at all.
I laughed a bit at "Hungriché" - wish to see more of those jokes.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Chapter 32 out

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Coco actually looks beautiful in Brimhats uniform

Seraph

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Finland
I like the possibility of Coco turning on the Witches to be honest,when i saw her in the Brimhats Outfit i had all sorts of scenarios in my head where she would change sides lol.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Coco is really the best,got great deal of character development.Great they got the "Knights of loyalty".

That cliffhanger at the end.

Art is fabulous too.

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
The reason Agathe didn't want to hear Coco's plan is most likely directly linked to her past which Rolga told about in the previous chapter. She is probably afraid to take credit for something another person came up with? Logic would tell us that Agathe didn't steal anything from others in the past, but I think it would be a great surprise if Agathe indeed did, and just changed for the better. You could say that she already denied the accusations in the last chapter, but I advise to read chapter #33 again. She doesn't explicitly refute what Rolga said. I know it's far-fetched, but maybe Agathe wasn't really good with magic - for whatever reason - and already was an outcast in the family. Hence, she stole someone else's magic to get the recognition she desired - I mean those are little children after all - and it backfired which further worsened the relationship within the family. After that, she might have a change of heart/mind, got more drive and determination which lead her all the way where she is now. That would pretty much align with the convo she had with Coco in chapter #33. As is said, it's far-fetched...

The chapter itself was great. I love how mature the little ones are. The stuff they say can be applied to the real world as well. The best idea is worthless without proper execution. Also, Coco improves step by step, it feels real, it feels honest. What's more, I appreciate how well the author - or Orugio in this case - explains it without bombarding us with unnecessary walls of text:

Simple, comprehensible, short, efficient, effective. I am not a big fan of walls of text when 95% of it is just a form of decoration with zero content/value.

All in all, their show was amazing and it was beautiful to see. I had no doubts that it will satisfy Beldarut. However, I am not sure what happened in the end though. Isn't Agathe the one who controls the pouch? So, why is no one suspicious that the pouch leads Coco somewhere else and even requests her to come alone by herself? And on the last page, we have two panels which show a character without the face, is that supposed to be Coco or the person who most likely wants to meet up with Coco?

I need the next chapter.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I started reading this around Xmas, caught up, it's very good.

Translations seem to be monthly-ish. Idk if I'll keep up, or read every 6 months.

The reason Agathe didn't want to hear Coco's plan is most likely directly linked to her past which Rolga told about in the previous chapter. She is probably afraid to take credit for something another person came up with? Logic would tell us that Agathe didn't steal anything from others in the past, but I think it would be a great surprise if Agathe indeed did, and just changed for the better. You could say that she already denied the accusations in the last chapter, but I advise to read chapter #33 again. She doesn't explicitly refute what Rolga said. I know it's far-fetched, but maybe Agathe wasn't really good with magic - for whatever reason - and already was an outcast in the family. Hence, she stole someone else's magic to get the recognition she desired - I mean those are little children after all - and it backfired which further worsened the relationship within the family. After that, she might have a change of heart/mind, got more drive and determination which lead her all the way where she is now. That would pretty much align with the convo she had with Coco in chapter #33. As is said, it's far-fetched...
It's definitely on Agathe's mind. She's very conscious and insecure about it. I actually think she did it lol.

Conscientious, introverted, self-conscious etc; and like any kid wanted praise. With other geniuses in her family, and an expectation of her to be the same, she stole magic and did the wrong thing. As a result the family discarded her. And that's what drives Agathe. Any kid deserves forgiveness for that. But she also did the wrong thing, which gives her another layer, she's angry at them and herself. I think her own shame is stronger than the anger towards her family. She was very sheepish and vulnerable when Coco talked to that jealous idiot in 33. Happy to be wrong about this. Either way (she did it or not), it can be a powerful epoch for her story arc.

Nice little lesson for Agathe in these previous chapters. She's very studious, guided by learning the rules. But for any student, an important step in the real world is rules can be broken. Writing especially. When you get paid for work, you're not writing to a teacher who is paid to read your BS. You have a client, and what they want to read is what you need to write about. And magic has a client sometimes too. See how Orugio was thinking about that money a few chaps back? That's an adult girls.

And on the last page, we have two panels which show a character without the face, is that supposed to be Coco or the person who most likely wants to meet up with Coco?
I would guess the brimhats. Coco will definitely go to them at some point, do enough at least to tip the scales (unintentionally/incomprehensibly drawing comparisons to the scale analogy with the brimhats/pointyhats).

O nice i think you ll be catching up soon, :zomg im glad you re enjoying it so far.
Yeah definitely, also despite the tale style, theres some sort of dark/ominious things/fate threatening characters that appear "pure" in both stories. I m really enjoying both readings, they somehow remind me this feeling when i was reading/ watching tales or disney movies, when i was a child, in a very good way ofc, as you said it's really magical. But i think both stories will probably wont last long, i feel they probably be less than 100 chaps, cant see them stretching too long.
I love too how magics and those circles (that remind me FMa) are explained, i love how the author is trying her best to give sense /realistic explanations. you'll see soon some interesting world building infos and and some interesting stuff, wont spoil you, though.
Regarding characters, im really intrigued by Qifrey, i want to learn more about him, and yeah Agathe got a nice developments, and she will get even more development in the last chapters. i love her personality and her charadesign.

and this art is so amazing :zomg this pic (i removed the bubble content not to spoil you) is beautiful !
Oh the magical comment I made was a lame pun which made me laugh more than it should.

I agree, it's like a tale/disney movie, where the trial will transform the character, often with some form of 'evil' present.

Regarding Qifrey, a brimhat stole his eye, so at least that's why he's after them. I guess the question is why a brimhat stole his eye, and whether that has anything to do with the reason he dislikes the Assembly. His convo with Orugio (soon) should give us something.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I started reading this around Xmas, caught up, it's very good.

Translations seem to be monthly-ish. Idk if I'll keep up, or read every 6 months.

It's definitely on Agathe's mind. She's very conscious and insecure about it. I actually think she did it lol.

Conscientious, introverted, self-conscious etc; and like any kid wanted praise. With other geniuses in her family, and an expectation of her to be the same, she stole magic and did the wrong thing. As a result the family discarded her. And that's what drives Agathe. Any kid deserves forgiveness for that. But she also did the wrong thing, which gives her another layer, she's angry at them and herself. I think her own shame is stronger than the anger towards her family. She was very sheepish and vulnerable when Coco talked to that jealous idiot in 33. Happy to be wrong about this. Either way (she did it or not), it can be a powerful epoch for her story arc.

Nice little lesson for Agathe in these previous chapters. She's very studious, guided by learning the rules. But for any student, an important step in the real world is rules can be broken. Writing especially. When you get paid for work, you're not writing to a teacher who is paid to read your BS. You have a client, and what they want to read is what you need to write about. And magic has a client sometimes too. See how Orugio was thinking about that money a few chaps back? That's an adult girls.

I would guess the brimhats. Coco will definitely go to them at some point, do enough at least to tip the scales (unintentionally/incomprehensibly drawing comparisons to the scale analogy with the brimhats/pointyhats).

Oh the magical comment I made was a lame pun which made me laugh more than it should.

I agree, it's like a tale/disney movie, where the trial will transform the character, often with some form of 'evil' present.

Regarding Qifrey, a brimhat stole his eye, so at least that's why he's after them. I guess the question is why a brimhat stole his eye, and whether that has anything to do with the reason he dislikes the Assembly. His convo with Orugio (soon) should give us something.

Wow you caught up ! im so happy you like it ! :wtf

I'm almost certain that Qifrey had some similar experience than Coco is currently having with brimhats, thats just speculations, but he probably has been, at some point, involved with them and possibly with forbidden magic too (he might have been manipulated and did things he need to fix, thats maybe why he s so fixated abou them), and he probably get to learn something about the assembly who i suspect hides some importants stuff.

Maybe he had a sharingan :teehee

Regarding Agathe, agree with what you said, i think though she s a lot mature and strong for a young girl, but more sensitive than she shows, its impressive how shes working hard and how she keeps trying to move forwards despite, all she went though. I guess she might be one of your fave chars of the series :zomg ?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Regarding Agathe, agree with what you said, i think though she s a lot mature and strong for a young girl, but more sensitive than she shows, its impressive how shes working hard and how she keeps trying to move forwards despite, all she went though. I guess she might be one of your fave chars of the series :zomg ?
I agree she's sensitive and very intelligent, and has thought a lot of things through, more than I would expect of a young person. That's grounds for calling her mature. Yet, I don't think I'd label her mature. This is my opinion of her (I am assuming a bit too) - I believe her character is just as she has desired - to be an adult asap. She's in a rush. Her mind wants to be an adult, and she might be functioning intellectually at that level. But she's not developed emotionally. She's got demons she's yet to face. As I see it, she buries her negative/neurotic emotions in studying magic. Which, you might say is her goal, but it's fuel is negativity. She's not going to be the adult she wants to be until she faces these demons. If she's still plagued by the negative emotions, without maturing in order to process and handles those emotions, then it could be dangerous for her. Particularly if she doesn't make librarian, or find work that she can immerse herself in, she'll be too fragile to move forward. And I assume this is partly why Orugio/Gifrey doubted her for test 2, as evidenced by Orugio's reactions seeing Agathe praise Coco. I think he was surprised they were getting along, and that Agathe was gentle.

Anyways, I do like Agathe, yes. I like all of the characters from Gifrey's atelier; Orugio and Rieche the most.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I agree she's sensitive and very intelligent, and has thought a lot of things through, more than I would expect of a young person. That's grounds for calling her mature. Yet, I don't think I'd label her mature. This is my opinion of her (I am assuming a bit too) - I believe her character is just as she has desired - to be an adult asap. She's in a rush. Her mind wants to be an adult, and she might be functioning intellectually at that level. But she's not developed emotionally. She's got demons she's yet to face. As I see it, she buries her negative/neurotic emotions in studying magic. Which, you might say is her goal, but it's fuel is negativity. She's not going to be the adult she wants to be until she faces these demons. If she's still plagued by the negative emotions, without maturing in order to process and handles those emotions, then it could be dangerous for her. Particularly if she doesn't make librarian, or find work that she can immerse herself in, she'll be too fragile to move forward. And I assume this is partly why Orugio/Gifrey doubted her for test 2, as evidenced by Orugio's reactions seeing Agathe praise Coco. I think he was surprised they were getting along, and that Agathe was gentle.

Anyways, I do like Agathe, yes. I like all of the characters from Gifrey's atelier; Orugio and Rieche the most.
Yeah mostly agree with your analysis, but i think Coco's being befriended with her is helping her going throught those emotions, actually i think Coco is the one walking the most dangerous path. I cant help, when seeing them both, thinking of Gon and Killua somehow. Killua was the one being suffering with the assassin's burden and his family's madness, but he overcame this thanks to Gon's friendhip, yet in the end the one succumbed to darkness was Gon, unexpectedly, while for a long time all the tension/emotions killua was holding made me think he would some time take the wrong path. Sometimes the most "innocent" or lacking experience, characters are the most inclined to take the wrong path. I think the author here might be giving us wrong hints about Agathe. But agree with you, the screentime /development shes getting, makes me think that at some point she ll have a very important role/part in the story could be one way or another, but i tend to think she will be the one to help coco at some point. (mere speculations, though)
Dont know, but the author posted this drawing on her twitter like 2 or 3 weeks ago, might be foreshadoing ?

I believe her character is just as she has desired - to be an adult asap. She's in a rush. Her mind wants to be an adult, and she might be functioning intellectually at that level. But she's not developed emotionally.
Funny how its the exact opposite of Riche.

Oh i find all of them adorable too, orugio is my 2nd fave character too, this guy is amazing since his 1st appearance. love his way of thinking/acting.

and damn riche was so great, and got really some nice development. this scene was one of the most beautiful :zomg

she speaks like juvia instead of i she uses "riche" its so cute.

Im really glad this manga get appreciated by more readers, i really love it, it has some nice and sweet touch it's hard to find in medias now, even if its a seinen with things happening it keeps this heartwarming feeling, and the art is just gorgeous and story so captivating so far.

Some fanarts :zomg

from @PONGAKU_

need this doll :wtf

@syx enjoy those agathe fanarts

this one is so beautiful ! ♥

from shirahama kamome twitter

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Chap 35 out
Didnt expect Sage Beldarut to be Qifrey's Master, asking Coco to be her sensei is to keep her far from Qifrey's influence, no idea what s between Qifrey and the Council but as suspected the council is very likely hiding things and is probably not an so innocent entity and Qifrey seems to be linked indeed with Brimhats somehow. But i dont know why to me this Beldarut's proposal seems more like a threat for Coco.

Seems 35.5 is a litlle artbook, some of it lovely pics :

Last edited:

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Chapter 35 is up~

I quite loved this chapter, the dragon tea makes me wish I had that too.
Sage Beldarut surely is an interesting character, and it definitely makes me wonder why he seems to be so interested in Coco

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Beldarut is an interesting character but he has no chance to win Coco over at this point. He can tell as many (bad) stories about Qifrey as he wants, I doubt Coco's characters would allow her to get persuaded by words alone. As long as she doesn't witness Qifrey doing something questionable herself, she will stick with him, and I hope this will be also the case. The most promising part of this chapter is that we will most likely get some back-story about Qifrey. I want to know so much about him, he is wrapped in mystery. I never took Qifrey for a saint in this series. The fact that the first thing he thought about after he woke up was Coco concerns me a little bit. Feels like he really needs her for something. : /

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Chap 36 out :zomg an amazing chap, we get to know a little more about Qifrey, It seems to me that Beldarut told about Qifrey so she "saves " him. Orugio is such a great char, he grows evern more on me ! he seems to be to me what agathe is to Coco, thats why i cant help making analogies, and thats why im afraid Coco is taking too much risks and end up paying it, later.

Lovely art as usual, this last page :wtf

some selected moments

syx

ρʀσᴅıɢʏ
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Chapter 36:
I'll be honest. This cute panel here was more than enough for me to consider the chapter as one of the best in this series:
Even though the chapter focused solely on Qifrey, Orugio was the character who shined the most in my view. There is no doubt about him that he cares for the wellbeing of the students to its full extent. The fact that he directly confronted Qifrey about this topic several times and without beating around the bush made me appreciate his character way more than I already have. It is a blessing to have him within this cast. Not to mention his maturity/mindset when he was kid. While Qifrey was sulking and complaining (given his past absolutely understandable), Orugiou was more about "how to deal with something" instead of "submitting to something". I enjoyed every single bit of Orugio this chapter.

Finally, we got more information about Qifrey's past. The flashback was quite sad and I feel sorry for Qifrey. His whole existence up to that point was taken away and the way he was left there in the coffin is heartbreaking. Why not kill him for good? In any case, I can't blame Qifrey to pursue his past which was stolen from him. Of course not at the cost of others, but in general I don't hold it against him to seek for it. I still can not fathom with the notion that every magic affecting the body is considered forbidden magic. I understand the whole deal with limitations, but in some cases, it shouldn't be as strict as it is now. Qifrey has every right to get his memories back.

On another note: This page here left me a little bit confused.
| Is he over there!?
| We couldn't find hide nor hair of them.
| We will chase them to the ends of earth.
| There's no mistake, he was here... But what are the Brimhats doing in Silstaz?
It could be just a translation error, but if the translation is correct, the singular and plural terms are strange. The last quote even implies that the "he" they are searching for is not even related to the "Brimhats".

By the way... Qifrey's left eye is deteriorating. : /

Marmalade

The Golden Witch
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I love how we finally know a bit more about Qifrey - It's easier to understand him now I guess. Though it does really raise the question, why did the Brimhats do this to him? Why did they erase his memories if he was left for dead anyway - or was it all planned perhaps?

Starting to appreciate Orugio more and more.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I love how we finally know a bit more about Qifrey - It's easier to understand him now I guess. Though it does really raise the question, why did the Brimhats do this to him? Why did they erase his memories if he was left for dead anyway - or was it all planned perhaps?

Starting to appreciate Orugio more and more.
Yeah i thought about it, im wondering if they didnt mean to make use of him, they probably kept his eye, and i guess they might have cast a magic either on him or on his eye, and im almost certain they have a goal, im sure they can track him and at some point they expect him to do something idk.