Theory - Traitor theories | Page 13 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Theory Traitor theories

JazzMazz

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Again. Chisaki knew they would come someday. But know that someday it would happen and know exact date isnt the same. He went to see old boss between 08:00 and 08:30. At 08:30 raid started. No way this is coincidence.
He didn't know the exact date it was going to happen, and I see no reason why to think this wasn't a coincidence, not to mention, if he was aware of the attack, why didn't he act like it, or even tell his number 2 that he was expecting their arrival.

Ilyia

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
My only thing is that who could it realistically be so that the reveal has an impact? Aoyama is suspected because of his interactions with Deku and that drawing Hori made, but even then I doubt him being revealed as the traitor would generate much conversation.
That would be a good way to flip the story in the villains favour for a bit.
there's no truly suspicious students (other than Aoyama, but he's just a red herring).
The traitor is so inactive that it feels like one doesn't actually exist. It's rather annoying and is an awfully written plot point.
[/QUOTE]This perfectly illustrates why I always say that Hori is a really bad writer. How many readers actually cared about Aoyama? He was never even shown to be especially liked in his own class. Unlike say a character like Tsuyu which has been mentioned by other people to be "the heart" of her class, Aoyama was always just a background character... and a joke character at that. heck, there being a traitor didn't even help the villains any at all... instead it was used to help the heroes... which is just dumb. We all know the heroes are going to win and at must have a side-character at most die... so there is zero anticipation here. The only characters that we as reader can worry about are the villains, and even then we all know that they are going to lose badly and that Hori is going to try and use them to make his hero characters look good.
Hori also said that Uraraka will become a light of hope for readers, so that doesn't feel congruent with her being a traitor.
First of all... she isn't really acting like a light of hope... she still has the same disgusting way of thinking that the other heroes do. Her caring about people was just recently tacked on and her recent actionsaren't enough. If anything she just give me this greasy feeling? It feels forced as if Hori is trying to do everything he can to suddenly make us like her more. All that does is make me annoyed though and wish he concentrated more on Himiko instead.
Which leaves Uraraka, Froppy and Kirishima, non of which I could see as the traitor.
Ochaco would have fit perfectly, but Hori decided against it at the last moment... whcih of course leave us with the whole problem of the Yakuza raid. Among the students, the only three (aside from Izuku) that knew about all three times were these three characters. Aoyama was not one of these characters. At least in Hagakure's case he could have made up some excuse that she had simply gotten the information by turning herself invisible and spying on them... but this doesn't work in the case of Aoyama.

JazzMazz

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This perfectly illustrates why I always say that Hori is a really bad writer. How many readers actually cared about Aoyama? He was never even shown to be especially liked in his own class. Unlike say a character like Tsuyu which has been mentioned by other people to be "the heart" of her class, Aoyama was always just a background character... and a joke character at that. heck, there being a traitor didn't even help the villains any at all... instead it was used to help the heroes... which is just dumb. We all know the heroes are going to win and at must have a side-character at most die... so there is zero anticipation here. The only characters that we as reader can worry about are the villains, and even then we all know that they are going to lose badly and that Hori is going to try and use them to make his hero characters look good.
I was fine with Aoyama being revealed as the traitor on the principle that he was easily the most suspicious character, but I feel like more should have been done to set him up.

I think it would have been really pertinent to emphasize his connection with Deku as well as his heroism leading up to the war. Make it clear that "yeah, Deku and this guy are good pals". Maybe flesh out Aoyama's interactions with the people from his work studies like Hagakure and Mina, that way, Hagakure being so emotional about Aoyama's reveal doesn't feel like literally the only character moment that Hagakure has ever truly had.

There was the set up for something good with Aoyama, and it looked like Hori was going to do something with his and Deku's friendship during the culture festival, but it was pretty much forgotten about after that.

Also, I'm in the realm that thinks that Hori may not even be gutsy enough to kill off the side characters.

The worst casualty of the war was Midnight, and literally no one cared about that. Even the character don't give a crap about the loss of Midnight.

At this point, the characters I'm most expecting to perish are the villains, and its not like the story has set up the villains as terribly sympathetic at the moment. Yes, they have sympathetic backgrounds, but this arc has gone out of its way to have them double down on their evil motivations, which is fine, but it makes it difficult to punctuate the "tragedy" of them losing. The villains don't have anyone as sympathetic as Twice on their side anymore and I think they suffer because of it.