Discussion - What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
This thread is for posting the manga you most recently read, are currently reading, or plan to read as well as for posting reading lists.

What I am reading
What I have already read

Mangaupdates is my preference for reading lists. Unlike myanimelist, mangaupdates tracks new releases. On the release page an icon appears next to the title when a new chapter from my reading, wish, or hold list is released. That makes it much easier to keep track of new releases, and to remember chapters I missed, or have not had the time to read yet.

Today I tried Moteki, a romantic comedy by the mangaka of Again!! The first two chapters were quite good, fans of Again!! will definitely enjoy Moteki.

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I finished 'Kokou no Hito-The Climber' yesterday and it was a fantastic ending to a fantastic manga. I really loved it. I wish it would get licensed in English so I could buy it.

Right now, I am reading 'Silent Mobius', and to be honest, I'm really not enjoying it at all. I'm not sure I am going to be able to finish it.

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Right now I'm tied up with anime, but I've found time to start/catch up with Assassination Classroom.

I loved reading Neuro so I was pretty excited that Matsui was working on a new series- and he didn't disappoint! I found myself hooked from the pilot and kept reading out of desire to find out what's going to happen next. :^_^ Despite trying to warm up to the characters apart from Korosensei, I find the humor delightful. Now if only Iwashiro cooks something up too.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I also read Umimachi Diary, a slice of life manga about four sisters. A family drama leavened with a nice bit of humor, the tone and mod reminds me a bit of Sakamichi no Apollon (serialized in the magazine). Thus far but two chapters have been scanlated, both quite enjoyable.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just finished the last chapter of 'Baki-Son of Ogre' and damn did that ending suck. Still a pretty cool series as a whole though.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I read chapter one of Dr. Koto's Clinic, newly scanlated today. A highly regarded manga, and interesting first chapter. A promising start, definitely worth a try.

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm reading 'Shamo' now. It's pretty brutal, but I like it. I can only remember reading one other manga where the protagonist is such a bad person, and that's 'No Longer Human' by Usamaru Furuya. It's definitely a different reading experience when the "hero" murders his parents in the first few pages.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Call me late, but I just started reading Yotsubato for the first time. It's a very good and cute slice of life manga, really. I can't resist to smile after I read it. I'm going to read Team Medical Dragon next time.

I read chapter one of Dr. Koto's Clinic, newly scanlated today. A highly regarded manga, and interesting first chapter. A promising start, definitely worth a try.
It's a good manga, especially if you seek real aspect of medical world.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
My newest manga that I think I will label EPIC, is a rare gem from the shounen bunch, Kamisama no Iutoori , I regret that I dragged starting this, but I finally found time to explore new stuff. Bessatsu Shounen Magazine has wonderful series overall as well. :nod

Reactions: Nii

junjun2

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Oh no, there's not "Kingdom" in the list of What I am reading. It's because maybe only 16 episodes have been translated so far, although it's going 310 episodes. I got to say Kingdom is the best and most epic battle manga ever. I'm reading only Kingdom and One Piece (and Hunter Hunter) now. I love Kingdom best among them. It's not just my personal opinion, but Kingdom is ranked No.1 in Young Jump every week. It's absolutely epic. Someone must translate it!
http://www.mangapanda.com/1730/kingdom.html

Also the anime started this April. I strongly recommend you to read the manga, but you can enjoy the anime too.
http://www.animecrazy.net/kingdom-anime/

silver_soul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
^Hmmm. If you say Kingdom is the best of the 3 you're reading then I'll have to give it a go. Thanks

I recently finished Annarasumanara

Unique art style makes it more appealing and even though drama psychological/genre's not really my thing, I couldn't stop reading it.

Next I'll probably read Yongbi although I'm not sure it's translated in full yet in which case I was thinking of Takemitsu Zamurai.

Kaiten

Harasho
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
If you have never read a Matsumoto Taiyou manga do not start with Takemitsu Zamurai. If you are only looking for historical manga avoid it altogether. As with all Matsumoto's manga, it is intellectually challenging and artistically forward looking. If that sounds appealing read Tekkonkinkreet, Ping Pong, Hanaotoko, or Number 5 first. All make for better introductions to his work. If you are looking for Vagabond, Rurouni Kenshin, Vinland Saga, or other historical action than Takemitsu Zamurai will not satisfy you.

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ping Pong by one of masters of manga, the author says it all, it shall not disappoint. :D

MangaPage

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Thanks Kaiten and Joseph K, I admit I had never read a manga by Matsumoto Taiyou before, so following your advice I started reading Ping Pong. I didn't read all the chapters yet but it's a very interesting manga.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
(Is this the new 'What are you currently reading?"-thread?lol)

[kaiten]the last one vanished in the server crash :s[/kaiten]

Today I bought the first volume of Hadashi no Gen. Looking forward to it, as I've heard only good stuff about it until now.(And I bought some more Blade of the Immortal volumes, yay!)

Also finished Bokurano some time ago. Wow, what a manga. Each kid has its own unique story, which grabs your heart, despite its short length. After every kid's story you'd think it couldn't get worse and then Mohiro Kitoh goes like "nah-ah~". Loved it. Read a compilation of his short stories (called Mohiro Kitoh's Short Stories lol) soon after. Not as great, but still nice.

This weekend I read a short (yuri?) manga called Cotton, which had nice art and likeable characters. Nothing extraordinary, though. Just like Satoshi Kon's Kaikisen - Return to the Sea. It was dazzling art-wise, but the story felt as though I read it already. The characters, the plot, everything. Maybe I even read it already.lol

Last edited by a moderator:

silver_soul

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh right, I was looking for an RK type of manga but I guess I'll wait and read Tekkonkinkreet or Ping Pong before I give Takemitsu Zamurai a try.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I'm currently reading another medical series, Black Jack ni Yoroshiku. Read the first 4 chapters so far, and I can say that this manga is darker compared to Dr. Koto's clinic. I hope the new group will pick it up until it ends.

Crude

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Lately I've been thinking about reading Yu-Gi-Oh!. The franchise has never really interested me, though I do own some cards from when I was a kid (also I love The Abridged Series), but then I heard that the manga had a lot less to do with Duel Monsters than the anime (less filler as well). I was already aware that the manga began as a story about several different "shadow games" (a really cool concept imo), but I didn't know that even the later arcs were less card game-centric than the anime. Would anyone recommend reading the manga?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Lately I've been thinking about reading Yu-Gi-Oh!. The franchise has never really interested me, though I do own some cards from when I was a kid (also I love The Abridged Series), but then I heard that the manga had a lot less to do with Duel Monsters than the anime (less filler as well). I was already aware that the manga began as a story about several different "shadow games" (a really cool concept imo), but I didn't know that even the later arcs were less card game-centric than the anime. Would anyone recommend reading the manga?
If I remember it correctly, the later arcs of the Manga are focusing solely on the Duel Monsters, while the early part of the manga covers several different type of games (boards. etc). I think if you're a fan of the franchise, it's pretty enjoyable to read it back-to-back. But if you're reading with intention to seek a good story, I think you'll not get what you want, since most parts of the story are fairly predictable and with illogical conclusion as well.