Discussion - What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Lawl Po Bia

The OMO King
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Reading Liar Game right now,Code Geass,Shaman king:flowers, planning on reading Vinland Saga, Magi next

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Honestly this is my first time reading an original work doujinshi (I mean the one which is not based on popular franchise). I came across At Least, Like That Snow.. it's a wonderful and surprising doujin. I didn't expect the author could make such a powerful story with only 30-pages. The ending is left open to interpretation, but I'm glad that I can notice it subtlety.

MattC302

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I just started reading Osamu Tezuka's The Book of Human Insects. I actually haven't been in the reading mood lately, but I had this book on hold from the library since like last year, and it just now became my turn. So I had to pick it up or get back on the bottom of the waiting list. Even so, I've had the book for like 10 days, and haven't opened it until today, because as I said, I haven't been in the reading mood, but I have to finish it before it's due. Anyway, despite not being in the reading mood, I'm finding it surprisingly good. Especially for a Tezuka book, which are usually hit or miss with me, and even the hits don't blow me away. I'm about half way done. Here's hoping Tezuka can keep up the quality for the second half.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
There are two manga that I'm currently reading: Moteki and One-punch Man.

Moteki is Kubou (Author of Again!) previous work, and I think this manga is funny and tell us the reality of "harem" . It can be heartwarming sometimes, and I recommend you to read it until the extra volume, volume 4.5 since the original volumes do not really conclude the series. The art is also has its own charm, if you like Again!, I can assume you would have no problem with Moteki.

One-punch Man is a humor Seinen Manga, and the artist is Yuusuke Murata, the author of Eyeshield 21. The humor are pretty raw in my opinion, but they are still hilarious.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Little evening at the bookstore
I read the first volume of ascension but I don't think this manga is for me. I'm not really a fan of genious characters unless there is some good humor to compensate.
The second volume of Therma romae was much more satisfying. The first chapter in particular was hilarious. Since it is a short serie I will even have the place to buy the complete serie for once.
I also read Billy bat 4th volume, the story is going a bit to much in all direction it's quite hard to follow whith several months between volumes. Maybe I will wait until more are out before continuing
And ki-oon has started to translated Barakamon, that is a good news since release are quite slow

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I didn't feel like doing schoolwork on Friday so I ended up procrastinating by reading Kyoukai no Rinne. Somehow I'm already on Chapter 52 when I'm usually slow with catching up or completing something. :blink

I love all the "Rumic" humour thrown in, and I'm excited to find out what happens in the latest chapter. :3

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
For Halloween, I'm intentionally re-reading some spooky manga which I've read.

1. Uzumaki by Junji Itou. My favorite among Junji's works. It's creepy and daunting, and I'm just in love with Junji's art style. For those who never read Junji before, I advise you to begin with this one.

2. Zashiki Onna by Mochizuki Minetaro. This manga was dubbed as "the scariest manga ever" but to be honest I'm quite disappointed with the ending. Nevertheless, this manga is good and I'd recommend you to read this when you're in need of horror manga.

I'm also finished reading the first volume of Fuan no Tane, a nice shounen horror manga. This manga is so good even though it's not heavy with dialogue, and surprisingly creepy too. Gotta read this until the last volume.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
1. Uzumaki by Junji Itou. My favorite among Junji's works. It's creepy and daunting, and I'm just in love with Junji's art style. For those who never read Junji before, I advise you to begin with this one.
Uzumaki actually was the first manga I've read from the mangaka and while it was creepy, daunting (and disgusting) I really disliked the end. You probably shouldn't expect a "normal" end in such a manga but I still was a bit disappointed. Nowadays I believe it was a good end but back then I was still too used to the more normal stuff. When you read one of his works you definitely should expect very scary and weird things, it's definitely something you need to get used to and it's quite possible that not everybody will like it.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Uzumaki actually was the first manga I've read from the mangaka and while it was creepy, daunting (and disgusting) I really disliked the end. You probably shouldn't expect a "normal" end in such a manga but I still was a bit disappointed. Nowadays I believe it was a good end but back then I was still too used to the more normal stuff. When you read one of his works you definitely should expect very scary and weird things, it's definitely something you need to get used to and it's quite possible that not everybody will like it.
When reading it for the first time, I was reading it with "this is going to be really weird" mentality so the ending did not really caught me by surprise. I've to agree with your opinion saying that Uzumaki is not exactly a "straight" manga, but a "straight" horror would be less creepy, I think. When read Uzumaki, you should put away your expectation and just enjoy the ride.

----------------

Anticipating for the serialization next week, I read Hungry Joker one shot. It is a fun read, but I have to say it's not memorable. The only thing that really stand out in that one-shot for me is the male MC, but the setting and premise are so-so in my opinion. Hopefully the serialization would improve the story and plot so it's become more.. substantial? and become a long-lasting series.

[niichan]Agreed with both :nod[/niichan]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nii

thatguy3331

Reaction score
Country
United States
The current 4 series I read weekly are as follows:

One Piece, Beelzebub, TWGOK, assasination classroom(?)

I read this stuff whenever they finally get a new chapter out:
Hunter x Hunter, Kamisama Dolls, Tonari no seki kun, Soul Eater & Not, Ao no Exorcist, Railgun(sorta), Kill Me baby

I plan to read these:
Dr. Slump, Ruroni Kenshin, Black cat,
Hayate no Gokuto(I AM reading it but I haven't passed chapter 100 yet, I've been using season 2 as a boost but haven't found time to finish it), Strongest Disiple Kenichi, Trigun maximum, Jo Jo
,Bakuman(after season 3 ends I'll probably begin collecting the manga...maybe...), that new series from Himoru Arikawa whose name escapes me... I want to wait and see when it will get localized though...

I'm in and out with these:
Eden no ori, Bleach(I was going to read it stubbornly to the end but I kinda got bored...), Zettai Karen Children, Detective Conan

I'm buying as the volumes come out:
Animal Land, Itsuwaribito, (again) Railgun

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Onepunch-man is my favorite new manga at the moment. It's really funny and has great action too. It's by the same artist as Eyeshield 21.

I also just started Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san. It's got short and very addicting slice-of-life chapters and a nice art style too.

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Onepunch-man is my favorite new manga at the moment. It's really funny and has great action too. It's by the same artist as Eyeshield 21.
I read the first chapter once. Didn't know it was an on-going series.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Lucky me, Dorohedoro v12 comes out in France at the same time v17 is scanlated...

About Onepunch, does someone know what is the Tonari young jump magazine it is published in ?

Edit: ok found it, it's a free web version of young jump.

Last edited:

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Lucky me, Dorohedoro v12 comes out in France at the same time v17 is scanlated...

About Onepunch, does someone know what is the Tonari young jump magazine it is published in ?

Edit:ok found it, it's a free web version of young jump.
Tonari no Young Jump is a free, online spinoff of Young Jump.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Onepunch-man is my favorite new manga at the moment. It's really funny and has great action too. It's by the same artist as Eyeshield 21..
I like it too, like I said in the previous page the humors are raw but they are so hilarious :nod

-----------------------------------------------------

Recently I read Emma a manga by Mori Kaoru, It has a nice art and amazing plot, as expected from Mori Kaoru. Overall, this manga is impressive, and I like the ending too.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Oh Emma was recently started to be republished by ki-oon in big format. Since you recommend it I will probably give it a try

MattC302

Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I like it too, like I said in the previous page the humors are raw but they are so hilarious :nod

-----------------------------------------------------

Recently I read Emma a manga by Mori Kaoru, It has a nice art and amazing plot, as expected from Mori Kaoru. Overall, this manga is impressive, and I like the ending too.
Emma is one of my all time favorite mangas. I've reread it like 4 times. Great balance of drama, romance and slice-of-life moments.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
So I join the mood and started Onepunch man and it is indeed extremely funny. Thanks for bringing it in Doraku.

Still on the comedy side, I also tried Mangaka Chou Zankoku Monogatari. When you see that the Manga Editor is mangascreener, you know that you won't read your average manga. And if some may be rebuked by the sketchy art style, they would miss a very funny caricature of mangaka (miles away from Bakuman).

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Also in love with Onepunch-man.
Still on the comedy side, I also tried Mangaka Chou Zankoku Monogatari. When you see that the Manga Editor is mangascreener, you know that you won't read your average manga. And if some may be rebuked by the sketchy art style, they would miss a very funny caricature of mangaka (miles away from Bakuman).
YES! Thank you! A year ago I read some chapters, forgot about it and never found it again.
And I agree, the manga is great.