Discussion - Who is the 9th Guild Master? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Who is the 9th Guild Master?

GodOfDestruction

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Old man Makarov has passed. Unless Giro brings him back.

This leads me to think who will be the next guild master.

Discuss what you guys think in the comments.

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
most likely Erza. his speech to Erza was basically to pass the torch to her and I kinda agree with it although Laxus being a Guild Master would bring him closer to Mira :teehee:super:spaz

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Seeing Makarov's comments at the end of the chapter i will say Erza will be the next Guild Master.Seventh Guild Master will be the ninth Guild Master.

PeanutButterJelly

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Mavis? I mean she's not a spirit anymore.
She was also the one who founded FT.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would want Laxus, but it'll be Erza cause she's more trustworthy than him.

Lowkey, Lucy would be a great guildmaster. I would love to see that either towards the end or the next arc.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
How is Laxus any less trustworthy now? He's fighting for the guild and put his life on the line many times for them, just as Erza did. Laxus changed for the better. I'd say Laxus has the edge now because he's stronger than Erza, otherwise they're just as reliable and trustworthy now.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Yeah, Laxus would be a great guild master now that he's changed for the better. But imo Erza would be just as good.
I think that even if Laxus is stronger than Erza, he's often... Elsewhere, with his thunder tribe or doing whatever. Not as absent as Gildartz but still not as present as others. I feel like Erza would be more fitting to the role, but that's just me. Also Erza has been portrayed as being the "logical" guild master choice after Makarov since the begining of the arc anyway.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
What did Laxus do that was illogical, after his arc?

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
How is Laxus any less trustworthy now? He's fighting for the guild and put his life on the line many times for them, just as Erza did. Laxus changed for the better. I'd say Laxus has the edge now because he's stronger than Erza, otherwise they're just as reliable and trustworthy now.
Yeah I'm with you, I'm just saying Erza hasn't ever done anything to a scale of a civil war. Worst thing she did was try to sacrifice herself to the Etherion in the ToH arc. But it was for her guild, unlike Laxus. Popular opinion would go to Erza cause she's more visible and has a better reputation.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
But that's the only difference, and Laxus more than atoned for his sins, no? After that he's been about the guild and has risked his life for it. I'm not sure if Erza is more visible than Laxus though, isn't he known as one of the strongest wizards who beat one of the Ten Saints? HIs reputation can't be as bad as someone known for destroying towns along with Natsu, I think.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
I vote Laxus... definitely not Erza :notrust

Seriously, I'm not even being mean to Erza. Erza can be a good member of Fairy Tail, but she won't make a good master of Fairy Tail.

In my opinion, Erza as master would be similar to Mavis being master. And I think that Makarov >>> Mavis at being master.

Laxus is more similar to Makarov while Erza would be more similar to Mavis.

In my opinion, Laxus has pretty much all the necessary qualities of being a master.

He is strong/powerful enough, he has authority, he has brains, and he seems to value friendship (this is a rather more recent change in his personality).

Erza has pretty much most of the qualities that I listed above except that she can be indecisive and emotionally biased, which Laxus seems to be good at avoiding.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By all means should honestly be Laxus. It's what his whole character has been building up to, when Makarov was defeated by Hades, his first thought was passing the torch onto Laxus and Laxus was still in exile at the time.
Erza hasn't had any guild master progression, she only had a brief stint at it because Levy was like "oh yeah, you scare people" and just automatically gave her the title because no one suitable was around. Erza has no interest in the title, that was clearly displayed when she gave the title up as soon as Makarov returned. It would be the ultimate slap in the face if Hiro decided to give Erza the title.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I'm also going to add in who I think, in general, are possible contenders for being Fairy Tail's 9th master.

Note: I'm not predicting who will be the 9th master, because I predict that it will be Laxus, but I'm merely stating who I think would potentially make a good Fairy Tail master.

Possible candidates that would make a good 9th Fairy Tail master (imo):

- Laxus Dreyar
- Gray Fullbuster
- Mirajane Strauss
- Gildartz Clive
- Gajeel Redfox (I just recently deemed him as "master-material". He barely made it above my benchmark for becoming master.)

Members that I don't think are ready (yet) to assume the role of 9th Fairy Tail Master:

- Natsu Dragneel (I think the dude is almost there. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind by the end of this arc.)
- Erza Scarlet
- Lucy Heartfilia (Not yet, maybe by end of series)
- Mest "Doranbolt" Gryder (Not yet, maybe by end of series)
- Cana Alberona (still has quite a long way before I can qualify her as a good master)
- Levy McGarden (way too soft.)
- Freed Justine (a little bit too biased and too soft in my opinion)

** For the names of members in the guild that I didn't list, that means that they are currently way too far off from qualifying as master in my opinion. However, I do think that Wendy would make a great Fairy Tail master far into the future.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
- Gildartz Clive
- Gajeel Redfox (I just recently deemed him as "master-material". He barely made it above my benchmark for becoming master.)
why them? Especially Gajeel?

Members that I don't think are ready (yet) to assume the role of 9th Fairy Tail Master:

- Natsu Dragneel (I think the dude is almost there. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind by the end of this arc.)
[/QUOTE]
I don't think Natsu will ever be ready without significant mental maturation.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
I vote Laxus... definitely not Erza :notrust

Seriously, I'm not even being mean to Erza. Erza can be a good member of Fairy Tail, but she won't make a good master of Fairy Tail.

In my opinion, Erza as master would be similar to Mavis being master. And I think that Makarov >>> Mavis at being master.

Laxus is more similar to Makarov while Erza would be more similar to Mavis.

In my opinion, Laxus has pretty much all the necessary qualities of being a master.

He is strong/powerful enough, he has authority, he has brains, and he seems to value friendship (this is a rather more recent change in his personality).

Erza has pretty much most of the qualities that I listed above except that she can be indecisive and emotionally biased, which Laxus seems to be good at avoiding.
I see what you mean, but i agree with you only at 50%. XD

The example that strikes me the most about Erza being biased, is when she blindly put her faith into Natsu who was rushing to solo Zeref. Like, it shocked everyone and she was like "it's fine i trust him".
So i agree with the bias point. However (even if in that particular example that was dumb) i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing to trust its mates. Especially in this manga, even more so in Fairy Tail guild, where friendship / family spirit etc is omnipresent.

Makarov actually made the mistake, several times, to not trust his "children". The protective side of him is sure a great quality as a guild master, but it led him to run against Ajeel, when i think we can now all admit Natsu + Gray + Erza would be MOOOORE than enough to defeat him. Yet Makarov was shitting his pants.
On the other hand we've had Mavis that proved that putting trust into guild members can be rewarding even despite all odds (Gray VS Rufus).
Now i'm not saying you should always be reckless, not at all, but Erza being biased from time to time isn"t necessarily bad. She has faith in her friends, i think this is a quality as well as a guild master. And she also proved to be able to plan ahead while minimizing risks for the guild, when she wanted to infiltrate the Alvarez empire with only a few people instead of rushing in with everybody.

I mean, i feel like both of them (Laxus and Erza) would be great in that role. I don't really have a preference. But yeah my point is, i think Erza would be just as good as a guild master as Makarov. Might even be even better: she is able to stop crazy members (Natsu - Gray) from being too desctructive, something Makarov never really succeeded in. (begining of the series, Erza was scarier than Makarov for instance). She can also be wilder than Makarov who appeared way too shy lately.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Erza and Gildarts are two people who literally threw the role away as soon as someone suitable was available. Laxus actually wants the role and his character has been building to the role. If Mashima wants to shit on him and deem his character wholly irrelevant, he gives the title to Erza.....