Discussion - Your word for soft drinks | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Your word for soft drinks

Your word for soft drinks

• Pop

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Soda

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Coke

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 38 27.3%

• Total voters

kehpped.crusader

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
From my experience, Coke is only used as a generic term for soft-drinks in Georgia, Alabama, and parts of Tennessee. This stems from the ubiquitous nature of Coca-Cola products in this region as the drink originated in Atlanta. In most instances, if you were to order a Pepsi product in a random hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Georgia you'd probably just get a bunch a strange looks. However, when you order a drink, you typically have to order it by it's name (Coke, Sprite, Mr. Pibb, etc..).
Okay, you stole my thunder!

Just kidding ;) But seriously, currently living in one of those states, I totally agree. And I never thought about the "Coca-cola" presence issue; thanks for the illumination!

The only circumstance in which Coke is used as a stand-in for all drinks is the the context of someone saying, "I'm going to get a Coke." In this case, Coke can mean anything, and the person typically comes back with something other than your standard Coca-Cola.
This is also true for me and my friends, as well, but I grew up in Texas. :blink

Pop makes me think of killing bunnies (I cringe whenever I hear it).

Soda doesn't really illicit a reaction from me, but if I let it, it would annoy me. Same for soda-pop, which I've heard more often than I'd like to.

I call it a "fountain drink" only when I'm at a fast food restaurant or something, where it's actually from a "fountain".

My sister insists on calling them "carbonated beverages", and although I must agree that this is probably the most PC way to say it (in America, at least), I think it's just a phase she's going through, after which she'll return to saying "coke" like the rest of us in the house.

Although I'm usually brand-specific, it's not uncommon for me to fall-back on the "coke means everything carbonated and sugary" way. :tem

Assymilum

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I use the term "soda."

croissant

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
like yonie said... we call 'em "sopdwinks"... but say that and the shop owner will ask what brand so i usually just what brand i want to make things faster.

Gecko Moria

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I always have a tons of coke at home, go thru about 5 cans a day. Have you ever had coke thats lost its fizz? Tastes terrible...

Baron Hugenstein

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I always have a tons of coke at home, go thru about 5 cans a day. Have you ever had coke thats lost its fizz? Tastes terrible...
It is horrible, but the most terrible was when i tried to see what happens when a coke is heated in a microwave.....not a good idea, the taste literary was......(no word exists that could mean the horrible and terrible taste.)

Sylvie314

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Either just 'soft drinks' or by its actual name.

Adorien

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Well, in Bulgarian the word "soda" is used for carbonated water, "coke" (the Bulgarian word is "koka") is used only for the drug and "pop" is just a style in music.

Here we usually call them carbonated/non-alcoholic drinks or use the drink's name.

StarlightDreams

Reaction score
Country
United States
I say Soda, pop sounds weird, and Coke is just a brand of soft drinks in my opinion so I wouldn't use that :)

XxVascoxX

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Mauritius
In my country Pop most of the time refer to alcoPops and Coke refer to Drugs*cocaine*
We called soft drinks Boisson Gazeuse or COKA
And Soda For us mauritian is the usual swepes Drink use to Cut SPirits

Totinona

Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
In English I use soda, but in Norwegian I use the word "Brus".:amuse

roma

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
we use the brand names here (coke, sprite, pepsi, 7-up, etc...) with coke being the most common.

Arrogance

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Soda! I get annoyed by all the others. Pop is just the most annoying sounding, but Coke is the one I least get. Coke is the nickname/shorthand for Coca-cola, why would someone call all soda Coke when its already the name for a specific brand, I just think that one is really dumb.

Arth

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I call them... fizzy drinks >_>

Am I the only one? :D

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
ummmmmmmmmm, yes. lol.

weehoo107

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
well, i live in Texas, and I don't know about you all, but like everyone i know just says 'coke.' like at a restaurant it's the first thing the waitress asks and it's the first thing everybody asks for. sprite, pepsi, fantaand whatever else there is comes second.

i have a friend who says 'pop' and it annoys the heck outta me!!! shes from Minnesota. it just sounds weird to me, i guess.

I'll say soda too, but only when someone isn't serving coke :]

Arrogance

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
well, i live in Texas, and I don't know about you all, but like everyone i know just says 'coke.' like at a restaurant it's the first thing the waitress asks and it's the first thing everybody asks for. sprite, pepsi, fantaand whatever else there is comes second.

i have a friend who says 'pop' and it annoys the heck outta me!!! shes from Minnesota. it just sounds weird to me, i guess.

I'll say soda too, but only when someone isn't serving coke :]
lol, see thats my problem with people calling all soda Coke. Coke is the shorthand name for Cocacola, you can't use a name thats for one specific drink to describe them all, lol. Now I can understand if thats all anyone wants is Cocacola so they ask for a coke, but you can't refer all drinks by that name. Soda is broad name for all drinks, its just the most obvious and realistic choice. Pop works for that same principle but it just sounds too weird. lol.

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I always say "coke" but I soo wanna say soda or just cold drink like they do in South Africa..

I guess i've been influenced by American TV-shows... they always say coke instead of soda!

Weapon_X

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
England
I say "coke " as well. Where I live no one says " you want pop" or " what soda drink are you buying?" It's usually coke all the time. I remember once when my mate bought Sprite and he said "this coke is nice" :lmao

That may explain the hyperness -_-;