Discussion - Your word for soft drinks | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Your word for soft drinks

Your word for soft drinks

• Pop

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Soda

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Coke

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 38 27.3%

• Total voters

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
coke seems to be the generic term used when you're at a restaurant and want a drink of that nature...

However, for the specific type of drink... its called Soda.

soDeq05

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Its called soda. :amuse

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I call it soda, it makes better sense than pop to me. And I think coke is short version of Coca-Cola. Cola is what Coke and Pepsi are. To me anyway. <_<

terrance007

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
For me it's coke. I'm coke lover and most of my friend are the same.

Xadyu

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Cocos Islands
I call it fris or frisdrank.

But when I'm speaking/writing english I prefer the world Soda, but that's probably because that's how I learned it ages ago.

nalex94

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
In Milwaukee at least, its always Soda or Coke. i guess people from Wisconsin say pop but he only people ive heard say that are my 75 year old grandparents.

pirateninjahunter

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like coke.
But I don't drink that much coke, only a little bit at the end of a meal.

Bugzee

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wheres my fiz? Coke if nothing else!

benelori

The Hero MH Deserves
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Romania
Well in romanian suc(juice) is used for everything, and even most of the hungarians use this term...but see horsee's post for more info

Asarii

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm actually surprised that "soda" is used more than "pop". Although I shouldn't really be since it's regional. Where I'm from, "soda" is not used very often.

I usually refer to brand names when referencing a specific drink. I prefer Coca-Cola over Pepsi. :P

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Ahh... what a very useful thread for me to vent out my frustrations.

You see, people, I grew up in a variety store ever since I was a small kid (so I am pretty proud to say that I am good with numbers *LOL*)

Anyway, we vend soft drinks to people; and in our place, the word soft drinks was most commonly called as Coke (even if you are buying another brand) because this was the most popular of all of our soft drinks during that time (this occurred around 2000).

Man: Hey, kid, can I please buy coke?
Me: Okay, sir. (So I get one coke, open it, and place it inside a drinking plastic.) Here it is.
Man: I meant Sprite. Sorry, kid.
Me: FU.

That stupid guy is so stupid and I hate him for that.

saladesu

in absentia
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
That reminds me of the time when there was this pretty cool (but it got irritating after a while) drink we had some years back here in Singapore. There were 2 kinda of cans you could get - "Anything" or "Whatever", with one (I forget which) being fizzy drinks (coke, sprite, F&N etc) and the other being non-fizzy drinks (ice lemon tea, green tea etc).

So an exchange at the drinks stall could go like
Stall owner: Hi, what would you like?
Person: Anything :eyeroll

or

Stall owner: Hi, what would you like? A beer? A coke?
Person: Whatever :eyeroll

The concept was cool, but it flopped in the end after the novelty wore off and people weren't interested in buying an "Anything" to see what drink they got or to see the look on the stall owner's face when they're like "wait, do you really mean that... Oh, you want a can of 'Anything'" :p

Other than that, people just call soft drinks, "soft drinks" :)

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I rarely drink dark 'soda' (what we call soft drinks round here) like Coke or Pepsi but prefer lemon-lime, orange, or grape soda. For whatever reason when I go to restaurants I order Sprite, irregardless of what they serve. I get the "is Sierra Mist okay, we don't serve Sprite" response .__.

I buy Sierra Mist for the house, not Sprite, since they started using real sugar in Sierra Mist again. That does not stop me from referring to all lemon-lime sodas as Sprite :p

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Sierra Mist is the name for your lemon-lime sodas? That's a pretty cool name.

In our country, we have Pop (what you would call a dark soda) and Royal (an orange soft-drink).

But trust me, back in my days, whatever soft drink you order, people would call them Coke. Damn. >_<

Queenofmuffins

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I voted for 'other' because we don't use the word 'soda' or 'pop' in my country. :3

We just called them soft drinks, unless we mention a specific brand.

I rarely drink dark 'soda' (what we call soft drinks round here) like Coke or Pepsi but prefer lemon-lime, orange, or grape soda. For whatever reason when I go to restaurants I order Sprite, irregardless of what they serve. I get the "is Sierra Mist okay, we don't serve Sprite" response .__.

I buy Sierra Mist for the house, not Sprite, since they started using real sugar in Sierra Mist again. That does not stop me from referring to all lemon-lime sodas as Sprite :p
What is Sierra Mist? I've never heard of that. :O

You have grape soft drink!? I am so jealous~
I first tasted that in Japan, and it was *heaven*. I feel in love with Fanta Grape, and "Melon Cream Soda". I even tried to bring a big 1.25 Litre bottle back into Australia. XD

Speaking of soft drink, I always find it fun to compare ours with America. For example, you guys have "Root Beer"... we have Sarspirilla, which is delicious. They have the same flavour but when I tried some Root Beer in Okinawa it was waaay too sugary for me. ;A;
When I met up with some Americans in Hong Kong, they kept telling me how delicious the Coke was, and how they wanted to ship it back home. It tastes normal to me. Apparently, you guys use High Fructose Corn Syrup in your Coke, and it tastes different to our Coke! :tem

Also, I remember in Malaysia how at the 7/11s' you could purchase huge drinks ("Big Gulps", I think?) They were huge! It cost about $2 for a 32-oz drink of whatever soft drink you wanted. (Extra for melon milk, which I bought. XD)
But according to my American friend, that's really expensive as you can buy even bigger soft drinks for about 99cents there. I still don't know if he was joking or not. XD

Last edited:

cracker

Reaction score
Country
United States
Soft drinks, I've always found that term kinda weird since sodas on a whole are so damn acidic (harsh) but I guess compared to an alcoholic beverage its pretty meh...

I seen people get tipsy from Smirnoff, like 1...lol lightweights

mikkih

Translator/Moderator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Voted: soda.
I usually drink coffee and green tea, so I don't drink soda that much. I almost always order Sprite regardless which restaurants I go to - like Kaiten. I also buy Sierra Mist for the house, sometimes Sprite, and almost never buy 7 Ups. I only tried Natural Sprite once so far.

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm glad there are soft drink which are not soda since I don't like them much otherwise I would be alcoholic. So that's what we call the him France : sans alcool ( without alcool )
Btw how do you drink your water, mineral or from tap with gas or without ? I know that in Germany they tend to drink it with gas but I don't know if it's the case elsewhere

igotthegoods

The Giggs
Reaction score
Country
United States
Awww, I'm sad to see that 'pop' is so far behind in the poll. Not surprised, of course, but just disappointed. My Midwesterners are not representing. :( Though I still generally use the word 'pop', I'm more conscious now of using it around people who call it something else. Usually, I'll go with 'soda' when I'm around them just to avoid the funny looks. :XD

As far as water goes, I usually drink either tap or bottled water without carbonation. It's much more common in the US to drink water without carbonation than with.