Discussion - Your word for soft drinks | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Your word for soft drinks

Your word for soft drinks

• Pop

Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Soda

Votes: 51 36.7%
  • Coke

Votes: 30 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 38 27.3%

• Total voters

Arrogance

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
GAH, all this coke stuff is driving me nuts. Coke is the nickname for one specific brand of soda, COCA-COLA, you can't go around calling all types of sodas COKE. Thats just not right. :XD

blai

Corporate
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
GAH, all this coke stuff is driving me nuts. Coke is the nickname for one specific brand of soda, COCA-COLA, you can't go around calling all types of sodas COKE. Thats just not right. :XD
I KNOW and that's why I'm trying to change to Soda... Soda sounds so fun and Soda deffo sounds more tasty than Coke.. sounds more sweet!

-Ren Boy-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lol it sounds wierd because you could say

"im having some coke"
which is very disturbing in which way you take it lool

But yes I call fizzy drinks....JUNK!!!

even though I drink it shame on me!

ShuriKenSS

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Since I live in Mexico just below the border of USA, a lot of words we use are spanglish (words made from spanish and english) and a lot others are just the same (but pronounced as if in spanish), so we say soda, because at the south of USA the sey it that way.

But when you go to a restaurant (or a taqueria for that purpose) if you want a cola drink you say the brand (Coca cola or Pepsi), and if you want some other, like orange or strawberry, you say it generally speaking unless you really like a brand (that is not that common), so you ussually ask for a orange soda or strawberry soda ("soda de naranja o soda de fresa"). Here no one serves Dr. Pepper and such (and I damn all for that), but when you buy it at a shop just call it by its name.

At the other hand, to the center of the country they´re not called soda, they´re called "refrescos" ("refreshers"), and for cutting it "chescos".

Nobody says coke (here they say coca, but they´re refering to a cola beverage, and it´s almost not used as much).

<.Haruka.>

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
when i was a small kid i use the word "coke" for any types of carbonated drinks..

(but now i know the word has lots of meaning :amuse)

soda is much nicer to hear :p

Arch!

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Soda for sure.

misterchaos

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal
when i learned soft drink was soda , i never heard pop, and coke is coca cola

Belisar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
i call it limonad (engl. lemonade).

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Coke is just Coca Cola isn't it? It would be wrong to call even other Cola-ish drinks (Pepsi, Jolt etc.) Coke.

Anyway, I probably say soda, I guess. I don't use the word in English very often because I don't have to. When I'm abroad and order something I usually just say "I'll have a *brand*" not "I'll have a soda". But that's the word I use if I do use it.

Jeez, you guys have too many words for this. Here in Sweden it's "läsk" anywhere you go. :tem

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Where I'm from people say coke when referring to soft drinks in general. Like someone will say "Do you want some water, milk, or a coke?" And when you say coke they will ask "What kind?" That's when you say Mountain Dew or actually Coke or whatever.

Soft drink and soda are only on labels and menus, and the only time we say pop is when we are shooting fire crackers :XD

And fizzy drink is never said....ever lol

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Where I'm from people say coke when referring to soft drinks in general. Like someone will say "Do you want some water, milk, or a coke?" And when you say coke they will ask "What kind?" That's when you say Mountain Dew or actually Coke or whatever.
Wow, that would piss me off.

"Do you want some water, milk, or a coke?"
"I'll have a coke."
"What kind?"
*thinking waitor is referring to Diet Coke or whatever* "I'll just have the regular one."
"The regular what?"
"Coke."
"Yes, but what kind?"
":laser"

Drmke

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Wow, that would piss me off.

"Do you want some water, milk, or a coke?"
"I'll have a coke."
"What kind?"
*thinking waitor is referring to Diet Coke or whatever* "I'll just have the regular one."
"The regular what?"
"Coke."
"Yes, but what kind?"
":laser"
lol its not as bad as it sounds when you are raised that way. Most people will just say give me a Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper.

Like I said, its mostly just used for generalizations. Like if you send someone to the store. "Get some cokes!" And they just buy all kinds of drinks lol :p

Rei ~♥

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
LOL
Yeah, I call it COKE.

Bengfleng

Banned
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
i chose other since i call it different names depending on what country the person is from (like if they are from USA i call it soda, UK Soft Drink etc.)

Magicoreo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually say 'Soda', I used to call every coke colored soft drink 'coke' when I was a kid. That only happened with Cola and Pepsi though.
And I'd say '7-up' when I wanted the actual 7-up or Sprite.
But yeah, I say 'Soda.'

Blackthornhiei

Reaction score
Country
El Salvador
Personally, I call them "soda", but here in El Salvador the local generic word is "gaseosa" which literally is spanish for "gassy". When refering to a specific brand, we use the brand name.

On neighboring Guatemala, they are called "aguas" which literally mean "waters". It makes for some funny misinterpretations when nationals from one country are visiting the other for the first time.

muge

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I usually just call them pop, and 'coke' if it's actually a coke..

On a separate note, I know a friend of mine who calls them 'spiff'.. He goes "Yo, gimme a spiff, bud.", and nobody knows what he's saying.

WhatWhatinthebutt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I call it bottle
As in: "Pass me the bottle"

Horsee

Reaction score
Country
Hungary
In Hungary we have a local word: "üdítő" (pronunciation: eu-dee-ter [without r]). "Szóda" or "szódavíz" (soda) or szikvíz (pronunciation: sick-veez) refers to water with carbon acid (carbonated water). Actually it's a hungarian innovation. The invertor was Ányos Jedlik. See: carbonated water.

Btw, we don't use Coke word at all. We use cola or kóla. Pop? I've never heard of it. :p

Last edited:

goshinbi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I live in Ohio, and we say "pop" usually. And so do most of my relatives in Kentucky, except my grand mother who says "soda pop". And some people that I have met call it "soft drinks". But, now that I think about it I say "Soda" when around someone I don't know, as it seems to not cause people to look at me like I have just spoken an alien word or something if they are from outside the Midwest.