Reading - Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Sounds good to me. :D

And was OP's absence announced or what?:gwah

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Sounds good to me. :D

And was OP's absence announced or what?:gwah
There won't be OP chapter this week, because Oda got some illness.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Three winners up to now: Eden, Nausicaa and Planetes.

• Among the voters, everyone one would read Eden, except Zehahaha and me.
  • Everyone would read Nausica except Schabrak and Zehahaha.
  • And everyone would read Planetes, except Schabrak and beneroli.

I have mixed impressions about Eden. But if Eden wins I will read it. I don’t like violence, and in the comments about it I read that violence is an important element. But I know you guys know a lot about manga, and I would trust you guys have a good taste. So I will read it if it wins. (If it would have gratuite/nonsense violence, it would be horrible to me.)

I don’t know how much time do you guys have for this, but I could read two comics. well, I suppose for everyone, that will depend on the pace we'll chose.

The pace seems to be a critical point. Frostymouse told me about a similar experience he and others organized in another site. We agree on the fact that the chapters should not be grouped ignoring the inner pace of the comic, but on the contrary, trying to harmonize the reading pace with the plot pace. (i.e. not simply the same amount of chapters per week, but trying to form 'units' that have a sense and that are worth to comment). The cuts can't be done everywhere.

So I want to begin the discussion about it, and ask to those persons who already read/know those three comics:
what would be a good division of the chapters on those series (Eden, Nausica, Planetes)?
Also, if you know people who knows those comics and have a good criteria, it would be nice if they help us.

Last edited:

Mr. Arashi

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Chile
Eden has one detractor while Nau and Pla has two. I think Eden should be, and the we oblige the creator of the thread to read it xD.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Eden has one detractor while Nau and Pla has two. I think Eden should be, and the we oblige the creator of the thread to read it xD.
Sorry for the misreading. Zehahaha neither would read Eden. I have added him to the post. :-)

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
All 3 titles are philosophical, sociological, all play in the future, Eden not so far, Planetes and Nausicaa far in the future. Planetes is a slice of life while the other two follow a plot line. All 3 are in an unusual setting, especially Nausicaa and Planetes. All three titles are not mangas that you just read on the side, you have to be invested in them and reflect upon it. The violence in Eden is heavy but it never glorifies it. It is rather supposed to illustrate its horror and at the same time the inevitability of it in human life.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
All 3 titles are philosophical, sociological, all play in the future, Eden not so far, Planetes and Nausicaa far in the future. Planetes is a slice of life while the other two follow a plot line. All 3 are in an unusual setting, especially Nausicaa and Planetes. All three titles are not mangas that you just read on the side, you have to be invested in them and reflect upon it. The violence in Eden is heavy but it never glorifies it. It is rather supposed to illustrate its horror and at the same time the inevitability of it in human life.
Miyamoto: What do you think about the division of the chapters?

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I have no idea, i am a fast reader, similar to Matt, who does not stop after a certain amount of chapters but i am ready to follow the majority.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
^^Seconded; usually when I pick up something and I get into the rhythm of reading it, I'd only stop to sleep. But for the sake of collective reading and because I think it could prove productive for discussions if we have a schedule to follow.

As I had pointed out in my nomations, Planetes and Nausicaa are series I'd like to read regardless of what we begin with; but I'm open for Eden and most of the other suggested series. Just waiting for the voting.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Maybe once we find a few possible choices (in this case 3), the length of each manga can also play a role. I mean, Planetes is "only" 5 voluimes and 26 chapters, Nausicaä is 7 volumes while Eden is 18 volumes à approx 200 pages.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
^^Seconded; usually when I pick up something and I get into the rhythm of reading it, I'd only stop to sleep. But for the sake of collective reading and because I think it could prove productive for discussions if we have a schedule to follow.

As I had pointed out in my nomations, Planetes and Nausicaa are series I'd like to read regardless of what we begin with; but I'm open for Eden and most of the other suggested series. Just waiting for the voting.
Ok. You already voted here. Here the counting system is explained and the partial results posted. But you can revise or change your preferences/votes until deadline (March 15 23:59 pm GMT).

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 PM ----------

Maybe once we find a few possible choices (in this case 3), the length of each manga can also play a role. I mean, Planetes is "only" 5 voluimes and 26 chapters, Nausicaä is 7 volumes while Eden is 18 volumes à approx 200 pages.
Yes, I thought about that too. Planetes would be a very fast reading I guess. Since it's only 5 volumes it would be done in few weeks. Anyway a central point of the project is that to share your impressions when you read is something that enrich your reading and therefore the pleasure you can get from it. I suppose it's important to find the appropiate pace for that.

k-dom

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think planetes is only 4 volumes and there is a mistake in mangaupdates. Maybe a short manga can be a good idea to start the concept and see how fast people read. I think for a start one can divide the reading by volumes (2-3 days of reading for each one seems reasonable to me).
For longer series, if everyone agrees to use the spreadsheet, one can add a new sheet where everyone says which chapter he is currently at, that way we are not forced to use a rigid schedule.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think planetes is only 4 volumes and there is a mistake in mangaupdates. Maybe a short manga can be a good idea to start the concept and see how fast people read. I think for a start one can divide the reading by volumes (2-3 days of reading for each one seems reasonable to me).
For longer series, if everyone agrees to use the spreadsheet, one can add a new sheet where everyone says which chapter he is currently at, that way we are not forced to use a rigid schedule.
I think you are right, i also asked myself how you want to divide 26 chapters into 5 volumes. I mean, there are mangas out there who have a irregular amount of chapter per volume but in such a short series, i doubt that´s the case

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
I also found that Planetes has only 4 volumes. I like the idea to start with Planetes to the purpose you mention; now, I would prefer a slower pase like a volume per week.

"... not forced to use a rigid schelude": Wouldn't be this no collective reading at all? Because in that case, I don't see a difference between the spreadsheet and those mangalist from www.myanimelist.com.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I also found that Planetes has only 4 volumes. I like the idea to start with Planetes to the purpose you mention; now, I would prefer a slower pase like a volume per week.

"... not forced to use a rigid schelude": Wouldn't be this no collective reading at all? Because in that case, I don't see a difference between the spreadsheet and those mangalist from www.myanimelist.com.
Isn´t that a bit too slow? You can easily read 1 volume in max 1 hour.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Not if you look at every detail and take time to think about what's going on. :P But yeah, I would rather make it two volumes a week, but open to both.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Yes. I suppose if the story is sociological and philosophical it will be worth to invsetigate a bit about related sources and that will take more than 1 hour. At least that happens a bit when we talk about OP, which is a shounen. Also, to read the serie + to post + to read the other's posts that will be more time.

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Well I guess it depends if you want to have a time for reading, a time for discussion of if you do both in parallel.
1 volume a week does not seem reasonable when we try longer series.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Well I guess it depends if you want to have a time for reading, a time for discussion of if you do both in parallel.
1 volume a week does not seem reasonable when we try longer series.
Ok, then it could be two volumes per week. We could try it that way and see how it results.

But, the schelude is an schelude for the comments, not for the reading, as it was stated in the first post. So, in regards to the posts allowed in the thread for discussion, the schelude will be the same for everyone. No need to add to the spreadsheet a colum about the chapters readed.

We will wait to see what think the others, and to the end of the new deadline. If we have an agreement, we can start the next week with volumes 1 and 2 of planetes.

Last edited:

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Not if you look at every detail and take time to think about what's going on. :P But yeah, I would rather make it two volumes a week, but open to both.
All the thinking, reflecting and so forth are not done in the hour obviously, you can do that on the toilet^^

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We should use a short series like Planetes as trial to see how we conduct further readings and discussions. We begin with 2 volumes per week=2 weeks reading and discussion for Planetes. In the end and before the next series we pick up, we can re-evaluate the length of reading. I go with that.