Reading - Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Reading Collective reading of an Old (complete) good comic

kindredxiuxiu

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I like goldb's idea. And the longer the series is (per volume), perhaps adjust the reading schedule accordingly, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. I wouldn't mind starting with a shorter series as a trial, though.

Schabrak

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Germany
All the thinking, reflecting and so forth are not done in the hour obviously, you can do that on the toilet^^
Who says I can't do it all there? :3c

So everyone's okay with Planetes, let's see if there are any major changes to the anime adaption.

ukimix

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Who says I can't do it all there? :3c

So everyone's okay with Planetes, let's see if there are any major changes to the anime adaption.
I didnt know there is an anime adaptation... nice.

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
A judgement before we even started reading, no need to be hasty.:-P But one can't do wrong with Makoto Yukimura as the mangaka, I want to see how it compares to Vinland Saga.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
So this is the guy:

I suppose the axe is because of the series you mention, like a viking theme. I found also a oneshot by him: Because Goodbyes Are Coming Soon.

MiyamotoMusashi

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Yeah, it is about the famous Shinsengumi Okita Soji

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Vinland has won a lot of awards (from baka):

The series was nominated for the 2008 Manga Taisho award. In 2009, it was awarded the Grand Prize in the manga division of the Japan Media Arts awards. Winner of the 36th Kodansha Manga Awards for Best General Manga (2012)
And according to baka, Planetes also has won Won the Seiun Award in 2002.

Are those award a guarantee of quality, or are they like an oscar?

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Those awards may be more about quality, don't know[even the Oscars are a bit about quality, let's not damn it just like that], but Vinland Saga is definitely a must read too. It's different from what one migh expect of a "viking" themed manga.

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
Les Cités obscures from Peeters and Schuiten have won this year Japan media art award so they have good taste :-)

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
Les Cités obscures from Peeters and Schuiten have won this year Japan media art award so they have good taste :-)
Nice, that comic is from 80s, and it's not japanese. So despite that it's an anual award, it awards works from previous years: it works more like the nobel than like the oscar, in terms of the period of time to be considered in the award. That's a good sign to me.

One can see that the oscar is part of the film industry (if it encourages the quality also improves the profits of the industry). And if some awarded movies are really good, yo also can consider another awards like the sundance film festival or like the Berlin film festival, that seems to work a bit different on that respect. My question was more in the sense if there are those kind of differences between the manga awards.

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 AM ----------

About the pace problem...

In this project we don't want to read alone a good completed comic; we want to share our impressions with other and to enrich our reading with other's impressions... But some of us read faster/slower than other, and some of us want to read 2 or more volumes per week, and other 1 volume per week, but . If some people read fast, maybe they won't want to wait to know what happens next. But nobody wants his reading spoiled. To face this problem, we have set up a rule about the time to share our impressions, not about the reading pace:

You can't comment a chapter assigned for a future week. You only can comment a chapter assigned for the present week, according to the schedule.
This rule would let the people read at their own pace, and still everybody would be able to share their impressions about the chapters of the respective week when the thread of that chapters comes. This could be a convenient rule if the serie is short; because you won't have to wait much to share your impressions. But, when the serie is a long one, at some point, the rule could begin to be a problem: "I already read the volume 13, but in the thread they go only in volume 5. I will have to wait a month to be able to talk to anyone about this fantastic panel..." Possibly when the thread for volume 13 comes, a month later, the fast reader will have lost the will to share or the feelings produced by the chapters one month ago, etc...

I have thought in a way to have the collecting reading and, still at the same time, to let everyone read at his own pace, and comment at his own pace. It's simple: lets suppose we are going to read Planetes, which has 4 volumes. We could open a thread for each volume since the first day, and replace the rule above by this one:

In the thread for volume n, comments about chapters belonging to volume n+1 or more won't be allowed.
As I say, a thread per volume will be opened since the first day; and all the threads will remain opened for a concrete period of time, say 2 months. After that period all the threads will be closed for ever. Then the reading will be a collective one because in a period of 2 months a group of people meet to read and comment the whole series, and because the reading has a start date and a deadline. Between those two dates, everyone will be able to read at his/her own pace and to write his/her comments and impressions at his/her own pace, and every one will be able to read and comment the posts of the other people in a way that his/her reading will be not spoiled. (It will be ones decision if one reads the comments about yet not read chapters). (Also, notice that one can use the quotation to make a faster reader to come back upon his/her posts of a volume already read by him/her)

What do you think?

Last edited:

raDar

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
It's a good idea but then, it somewhat defeats the purpose of collective reading since everyone will have to read in they're own pace. But whatever, I'll go with the flow. I think the main solution for this is to shorten the duration of reading per volume/arc. Of course it should be reasonable enough, and it can be at least estimated accurately after several trials. That way, no one will be way ahead like 8 volumes (unless he's a real monster) and if ever he did, he could at least contain himself and wait for a not-so-long duration of time for the discussion to catch up.

Oh. its not that clear to me but will the posting of thoughts be simultaneous with the reading or there will be like a separate allotted time to read and another for discussion? Like 4 days to read then 2 days to discuss.

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
It's a good idea but then, it somewhat defeats the purpose of collective reading since everyone will have to read in they're own pace. But whatever, I'll go with the flow. I think the main solution for this is to shorten the duration of reading per volume/arc. Of course it should be reasonable enough, and it can be at least estimated accurately after several trials. That way, no one will be way ahead like 8 volumes (unless he's a real monster) and if ever he did, he could at least contain himself and wait for a not-so-long duration of time for the discussion to catch up.

Oh. its not that clear to me but will the posting of thoughts be simultaneous with the reading or there will be like a separate allotted time to read and another for discussion? Like 4 days to read then 2 days to discuss.
If we choose the system some-volume/arc-per-week, it will be the same system that on the threads for the weekly ongoing comic chapters: during the whole week people are able to post their comments, with out any distinction between days for reading and days for posting. Just as simple as it is in the current threads for discussion of a chapter just released.

I don't think tha purpose of the collective reading is defeated with the system threads-for-all-volumes/arcs-opened. Because along of a certain period of time each of us will have for sure other people reading and commenting the same comic. That doesn't happen when you read a completed comic alone. (In the case of Planetes, the period of time for commenting could be even shorter: 5 or 6 weeks.)

Last edited:

k-dom

Reaction score
Country
France
I'm not sure one thread per phase is necessary honestly. We are not that many :-)

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
If we have the space, I wouldn't mind to use it. What I see is that in that way the fast reader would have where to write about what he is reading, with out waiting for a thread to be opened for it. And it's always possible a chat between persons who go in different chapters of the same comic.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
So the voting is gonna end today ?

ukimix

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Colombia
So the voting is gonna end today ?
yes, today.

Given, that most people like the some-volumes-per-week system, I will open the thread tomorrow, and the reading will begin tomorrow. If nothing changes, (which is going to happen for sure) we will read Planetes which is downloadable here. But you need to be looged in, to can access the links. It's also available in mangareaders.

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
I found some crazy ass manga yesterday, you ain't gonna believe what it talks about hahaha
I'll pm you, it's pretty crazy one

Schabrak

Reaction score
Country
Germany
So crazy that you can't even post it's name here?XD

Zehahaha

Reaction score
Country
Morocco
So crazy that you can't even post it's name here?XD
Too much mangas here already, and not enough chapters at all, but the idea is pretty good I think, kinda creepy I may add

It's Terra Formars