Semifinal - Gildarts Clive vs Natsu Dragneel | Page 13 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Gildarts Clive vs Natsu Dragneel

Which fighter advances?

• Gildarts Clive

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Natsu Dragneel

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirate Queen

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why would Hiro hate Gilgarts? The only reason Gildarts is not in this war yet is that Hiro implied Gildarts could defeat most of Spriggan mid-low difficulty couse Gildarts is so awesome. But some of you think that Gildarts is below Natsu so he can not defeat most of spriggans (like Wahl) with ease. We know that this is one of the last arcs (or last arc) so Hiro definetly bring Gildarts back. What of two variants that will happen is more likely to happen?
1) Gildarts will return to fight fodder/to do nothing.
2) Gildarts will return to fight one of final bosses (Iren Aughat Achnologia) to show how powerfull he is.
This is not even debatable.
Hiro. implied. Gildarts. could. defeat. most. of. Spriggan. mid-low. difficulty.... This damn tournament, people are just making things up out of thin air. Im voting Natsu, better feats... growth rate... lack of current Gildarts stats...

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
Hiro has never implied this, don't pulls things out of your ass.
While I don't agree with most of the details in the post that you quoted, I do agree with the sentiment: Gildarts hasn't returned for a reason. Gildarts has been written out of virtually every arc because of how powerful he is, he would just beat the opposition meaning the plot wouldn't be interesting and it's this that makes me think Gildarts is still a behemoth and above Natsu as why would he still be gone if he wasn't too strong?

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
While I don't agree with most of the details in the post that you quoted, I do agree with the sentiment: Gildarts hasn't returned for a reason. Gildarts has been written out of virtually every arc because of how powerful he is, he would just beat the opposition meaning the plot wouldn't be interesting and it's this that makes me think Gildarts is still a behemoth and above Natsu as why would he still be gone if he wasn't too strong?
Because Hiro hasn't thought of a good way to put him in the plot.......Like they are multiple people stronger than Gildarts in this arc.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
That might be true, or he might just not want Gildarts in these arcs due to the amount of characters already in them, and therefore Gildarts has an easy excuse as to why he is not there(he travels a lot). Honestly if you are voting for Gildarts then you are either saying that each Spriggan is roughly on par with Bluenote, or you are not following the rules of the tournament. To be clear I do believe that Gildarts will come back powerful enough to fight a Spriggan, simply because like you said he will be a turning point in the arc most likely. However either Hiro will have to say he trained or his power level is completely off, which imo most of his power levels already are to some extent haha. Like I said I don't believe you can follow the rules of the tournament and come to the conclusion that Gildarts wins this, his best feat was beating Bluenote mid-high diff on his home turf ( Tenrou Island). Which to me is simply not enough considering Natsu oneshotted him last arc.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly if you are voting for Gildarts then you are either saying that each Spriggan is roughly on par with Bluenote, or you are not following the rules of the tournament.
It's not that simple. I have yet to see a convincing post where Gildarts is on the same level as Bluenote. Meaning that the Spriggans are not on Bluenote's level either. Granted, he probably isn't on the level of August, Irene, and Zeref, he could still be stronger than Natsu.

Nothing about voting for Gildarts would violate the tournament rules which I assure you, I've read all of them many times.

In fact, I took this quote directly off of the God Serena vs. Natsu Thread.

Not quite actually. Speculation is allowed provided it's reasonable.

So if we can somehow speculate that Natsu can use Dragon Force, even though we don't exactly know it's power, then we should be able to use past feats to display Gildarts' power. Seeing how Natsu should've lost there when he passed by just 3 votes, I don't see how we should give him another chance. This really all comes down to which character has the most support and not really about power rankings.

Besides, the majority of the community voted Gray and Wahl down against Gildarts. I don't see a need for a specific character to get special treatment when the two characters I just mentioned are well on his tier. They are probably even on his level.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not that simple. I have yet to see a convincing post where Gildarts is on the same level as Bluenote. Granted, he probably isn't on the level of August, Irene, and Zeref, he could still be stronger than Natsu.

Nothing about voting for Gildarts would violate the tournament rules which I assure you, I've read all of them many times.

In fact, I took this quote directly off of the God Serena vs. Natsu Thread.

So if we can somehow speculate that Natsu can use Dragon Force, even though we don't exactly know it's power, we should be able to use past feats to display Gildarts' power.Seeing how Natsu should've lost there when he passed by just 3 votes, I don't see how we should give him another chance. This really all comes down to which character has the most support and not really about power rankings.

Besides, the majority of the community voted Gray and Wahl down against Gildarts. I don't see a need for a specific character to get special treatment when the two characters I just mentioned are well on his tier. They are probably even on his level.
I never said Gildarts wasn't above Bluenote, i was saying that for him to beat Wall, and Natsu, who I believe to be Spriggan level opponents, then you would have to conclude that Bluenote is on par with the Spriggans from what we know. I would actually like if Holt clarified what is reasonable speculation. I mean that is so subjective, you might as well just not have the rule about in manga feats, and let people speculate away imo. Don't get me wrong i even chose to go with my gut rather than complete feats during some of the earlier rounds because it is so hard particularly with a series like FT, which imo has some very questionable inconsistencies in terms of power levels. I just don't understand how thinking Gildarts, a character who's best feat is beating Bluenote with some difficulty, Where as a character in Natsu who he is fighting now, oneshotted Bluenote just an arc ago, is not going against the tournament rules. My understanding from the rules is that we have to judge these characters from what we have seen in the manga (pictures,texts), where in the manga does it say we can power scale Gildarts after 1 year to this level?

Last edited:

THE ALMIGHTY CRYBABY

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Austria
So if we can somehow speculate that Natsu can use Dragon Force, even though we don't exactly know it's power, then we should be able to use past feats to display Gildarts' power. Seeing how Natsu should've lost there when he passed by just 3 votes, I don't see how we should give him another chance. This really all comes down to which character has the most support and not really about power rankings.
There are 2 reasons why we can speculate about the level of DF Natsu;
1) First, he used it already 3 times in the manga and we saw what he was capable of doing in that mode.
2) Secondly, because of Gajeel! Base Natsu is slightly stronger than Base Gajeel but they are on the same level. DF Gajeel defeated Bradman who is more powerful than God Serena, imo without much effort! DF Natsu is on the same level as DF Gajeel, probably a bit stronger!!!

Indira

Banned
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Macedonia
There is a difference between FDK and FDKM.
Natsu used Fire Dragon King Spell against Ikusa-Tsunagi in his Base state while against Jacob he entered Fire Dragon King Mode and then used Fire Dragon King Spell.Those two are different in their powerlevels.His spell against war god was lot weaker than he used against Jacob as he was in FDKM state against Jacob.
Where's the proof that Natsu was using a Fire Dragon King Spell in his base state?. He could've easily been using a FDK spell in his FDKM form against Ikusa. Where's the evidence that Natsu can use fire dragon king spells in his base form? I want actual proof, not what you believe or opinion-oriented.

Jko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Why would Hiro hate Gilgarts? The only reason Gildarts is not in this war yet is that Hiro implied Gildarts could defeat most of Spriggan mid-low difficulty couse Gildarts is so awesome. But some of you think that Gildarts is below Natsu so he can not defeat most of spriggans (like Wahl) with ease. We know that this is one of the last arcs (or last arc) so Hiro definetly bring Gildarts back. What of two variants that will happen is more likely to happen?
1) Gildarts will return to fight fodder/to do nothing.
2) Gildarts will return to fight one of final bosses (Iren Aughat Achnologia) to show how powerfull he is.
This is not even debatable.

C'mon bro don't over hype Gild to a level he ain't at.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
1) First, he used it already 3 times in the manga and we saw what he was capable of doing in that mode.
2) Secondly, because of Gajeel! Base Natsu is slightly stronger than Base Gajeel but they are on the same level. DF Gajeel defeated Bradman who is more powerful than God Serena, imo without much effort! DF Natsu is on the same level as DF Gajeel, probably a bit stronger!!!

Wait..... hold up... before we go any further, I need to point something out that is crucial...

I don't really care about point number 1.....

But look at point #2, especially the part I bolded.

Ok, at which point was it ever confirmed that Gajeel defeated Bradman without much effort???....

That is just not correct on all levels.

Gajeel's DF was never confirmed, and even if we were to assume that Gajeel's recent power-up is DF....

Gajeel was supposed to be "killed" if it wasn't for some asspull.

And Gajeel definitely did not defeat Bradman without much effort.

No, the actual correct statement is:

Gajeel was fighting for his life. (And should have lost it too)

If anything, Bradman > Max-powered Gajeel

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I never said Gildarts wasn't above Bluenote, i was saying that for him to beat Wall, and Natsu, who I believe to be Spriggan level opponents, then you would have to conclude that Bluenote is on par with the Spriggans from what we know. I would actually like if Holt clarified what is reasonable speculation. I mean that is so subjective, you might as well just not have the rule about in manga feats, and let people speculate away imo. Don't get me wrong i even chose to go with my gut rather than complete feats during some of the earlier rounds because it is so hard particularly with a series like FT, which imo has some very questionable inconsistencies in terms of power levels. I just don't understand how thinking Gildarts, a character who's best feat is beating Bluenote with some difficulty, Where as a character in Natsu who he is fighting now, oneshotted Bluenote just an arc ago, is not going against the tournament rules. My understanding from the rules is that we have to judge these characters from what we have seen in the manga (pictures,texts), where in the manga does it say we can power scale Gildarts after 1 year to this level?
Yeah, I see where you're getting at but what you're essentially saying is this:
  • In order for Gildarts to be Spriggan level, then Bluenote also has to be Spriggan level. This means you're essentially equating Gildarts' power to Bluenote's power.
Anyways, I understand that there may be confusion with the rules in the tournament. After all, I fully agree. While most people were taking the fact that Natsu can go DF at face value because the "rules" state it, the more concerning part (in my opinion) is it's actual power which is why I refrained from including it in this tournament. My point is we don't know if DF is on August's level or barely on God Serena's level. It's all speculation.

Although some claim Gildarts defeated Bluenote with some difficulty. I can also see the opposite point-of-view that he wasn't and for many reasons already mentioned. However, I don't see the need to go back all the way to Tenrou Arc when we have feats from Post-Tartaros Arc.

Gildarts' hype was backed by feats (which I generally accept) when he was shown to beat Natsu with almost No Difficulty. Yes, there were some gag moments int he silent chapter. But the same scenes have been replayed countless times that it may be Hiro Mashima's way of showing exactly how strong he truly is. Note that Gildarts was never even trying while Natsu was actually being quite serious especially when he was trying to become S-Class. So the amount of training that Natsu needs to close the gap is tremendous (which he has achieved but not to this extent).
  • Gildarts > Natsu [No Difficulty]
  • Gildarts > Natsu [Low Difficulty]
  • Gildarts > Natsu [Medium Difficulty]
  • Gildarts > Natsu [High Difficulty]
  • Gildarts > Natsu [Extreme Difficulty]
  • Gildarts = Natsu
  • Gildarts < Natsu [Extreme Difficulty]
  • Gildarts < Natsu [High Difficulty]
  • Gildarts < Natsu [Medium Difficulty]
  • Gildarts < Natsu [Low Difficulty]
  • Gildarts < Natsu [No Difficulty]
Don't get me wrong. I know that there are inconsistencies in the manga itself, but for once, we should look at the community votes as well. Gray was stomped by Gildarts to no ends in his match. Meanwhile, Wahl lost by approximately 10 votes. To have Natsu win here, especially with comments like "Natsu stomps Gildarts... No Difficulty... Easy Win... No Comparison Here..." means that there is a problem with the way we're voting.

True. But two of the times he used an external source for power. That one time in Tartaros may or may not prove that Natsu can activate DF at will. But I don't really care to debate that because I'm fine with Natsu being able to activate it at will. I have more of a problem with the speculation involved in claiming the power boost Natsu attains from it.

There are problems with this kind of logic. For example, I happen to disagree that Bradman was more powerful than God Serena. He was taken out by one punch. God Serena, on the other hand, defeated 4 wizards on the caliber of Erza and higher.

Sure DF Gajeel is strong, but the only characters we've seen who could defeat a Spriggan with "one-attack" are Jellal, Laxus, and Natsu. We know Natsu trained more than anyone else while Jellal and Laxus were already stronger than Gajeel. So how could Gajeel do something as significant as what Natsu, Laxus, and Jellal did to their respective Spriggans?

That either means Bradman is indeed an average Spriggan or that DF Gajeel is just as powerful as Natsu, Laxus, and Jellal. Besides, Bradman's performance and feats weren't really that impressive given his hype. Plus, there is no proof that Bradman is actually dead although it seems like it just like when we thought Gajeel died.

Last edited:

Woodenstool

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Wait..... hold up... before we go any further, I need to point something out that is crucial...

Ok, at which point was it ever confirmed that Gajeel defeated Bradman without much effort???....

Gajeel's DF was never confirmed, and even if we were to assume that Gajeel's recent power-up is DF....

This a Gildarts vs Natsu thread.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
  • In order for Gildarts to be Spriggan level, then Bluenote also has to be Spriggan level. This means you're essentially equating Gildarts' power to Bluenote's power.
Anyways, I understand that there may be confusion with the rules in the tournament. After all, I fully agree. While most people were taking the fact that Natsu can go DF at face value because the "rules" state it, the more concerning part (in my opinion) is it's actual power which is why I refrained from including it in this tournament. My point is we don't know if DF is on August's level or barely on God Serena's level. It's all speculation.

Although some claim Gildarts defeated Bluenote with some difficulty. I can also see the opposite point-of-view that he wasn't and for many reasons already mentioned. However, I don't see the need to go back all the way to Tenrou Arc when we have feats from Post-Tartaros Arc.

Gildarts' hype was backed by feats (which I generally accept) when he was shown to beat Natsu with almost No Difficulty. Yes, there were some gag moments int he silent chapter. But the same scenes have been replayed countless times that it may be Hiro Mashima's way of showing exactly how strong he truly is. Note that Gildarts was never even trying while Natsu was actually being quite serious especially when he was trying to become S-Class. So the amount of training that Natsu needs to close the gap is tremendous (which he has achieved but not to this extent).
  • Gildarts = Natsu
Don't get me wrong. I know that there are inconsistencies in the manga itself, but for once, we should look at the community votes as well. Gray was stomped by Gildarts to no ends in his match. Meanwhile, Wahl lost by approximately 10 votes. To have Natsu win here, especially with comments like "Natsu stomps Gildarts... No Difficulty... Easy Win... No Comparison Here..." means that there is a problem with the way we're voting.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

True. But two of the times he used an external source for power. That one time in Tartaros may or may not prove that Natsu can activate DF at will. But I don't really care to debate that because I'm fine with Natsu being able to activate it at will. I have more of a problem with the speculation involved in claiming the power boost Natsu attains from it.

There are problems with this kind of logic. For example, I happen to disagree that Bradman was more powerful than God Serena. He was taken out by one punch. Sure DF Gajeel is strong but the only characters we've seen who could do that is Jellal. We know Natsu trained more than anyone else. So how could Gajeel do something as significant as what Natsu did to Jacob? That either means Bradman was weaker than an average Spriggan like Jacob or that Natsu is weaker than Gajeel. Besides, there is no proof that Bradman is actually dead yet although it seemed like it just like when we thought Gajeel died.
Gildarts was punching bluenotestinger with regular punches. His first hit with crash infused punched sent him into the clouds. It actually divided the clouds and stopped the storm on tenro. That's how powerful the shockwave was.

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I would actually like if Holt clarified what is reasonable speculation
Well let me clarify, for example, we've not seen Post TS Jellal cast Sema. However, we've seen that he's increased a fair bit in strength as his GC is not on the same level as before. Reasonable speculation in this case would be an acknowledgment that Post TS Sema is leagues above pre TS and thus scaling it to an appropriate level. Basically, reasonable speculation is intended for feats that haven't yet been shown but can be inferred going by canon material.

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Sure DF Gajeel is strong, but the only characters we've seen who could defeat a Spriggan with "one-attack" are Jellal, Laxus, and Natsu. We know Natsu trained more than anyone else while Jellal and Laxus were already stronger than Gajeel. So how could Gajeel do something as significant as what Natsu, Laxus, and Jellal did to their respective Spriggans?
It is a mistake to think that Gajeel defeated Brad with strenght. Never mind how strong Gejeel can be, he cant beat Brad with his fists bs Brad intangible (I hope it is right word). Only way why Gajeel defeated Brad is his own (Brad) antimagic which been absorbed by Gajeel and allow him to do damage to Brad. With the same ability even Max can kill him.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich

Please tell me how you interpreted the fight that way. No funny shit, I am dead serious, Gajeel literally mops the floor with him while using no actual Dragon Slaying moves but Bradman is stronger. Please, I am generally curious.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well let me clarify, for example, we've not seen Post TS Jellal cast Sema. However, we've seen that he's increased a fair bit in strength as his GC is not on the same level as before. Reasonable speculation in this case would be an acknowledgment that Post TS Sema is leagues above pre TS and thus scaling it to an appropriate level. Basically, reasonable speculation is intended for feats that haven't yet been shown but can be inferred going by canon material.
Thanks for clarifying this Holt, so in other words though, Gildarts being scaled power wise to this level is not reasonable speculation?

• Gildarts = Natsu

There are problems with this kind of logic. For example, I happen to disagree that Bradman was more powerful than God Serena. He was taken out by one punch. God Serena, on the other hand, defeated 4 wizards on the caliber of Erza and higher.

That either means Bradman is indeed an average Spriggan or that DF Gajeel is just as powerful as Natsu, Laxus, and Jellal. Besides, Bradman's performance and feats weren't really that impressive given his hype. Plus, there is no proof that Bradman is actually dead although it seems like it just like when we thought Gajeel died.

Yeah i get you on this, but i think people need to ask themselves something simple, why would Gildarts not be going all out against Bluenote who was threatening their sacred ground and all of FT? He was worn out after the fight that much can not be denied. whether that was due to Bluenote beating on him when he had no magic power, or whether it really did just tire him out is unknown. To me if Gildarts could have defeated Bluenote easily he would have, the fact he did not imo means they are somewhat close in power with Gildarts having the edge. All i was saying is that if Gildarts beat Natsu high diff or whatever, and Natsu is Spriggan level at least, then what is the difference between Bluenote and Natsu now? To be clear i am only talking about what we know, i personally believe Gildarts will be stronger when he comes back, and therefore would give Natsu a really good fight. Were going off what we know though and to me what we know is that Gildarts best feat is beating Bluenote with some amount of diff depending on your perspective, and that Natsu oneshotted that same character recently. I should mention that i personally disagree with Gildarts beating Wall the same as Natsu, as i see them as being on the same tier, perhaps Natsu is slightly higher but not by much at his current level. I should also mention i don't think we should all be taking DF into consideration either, as he has not used it since Tartaros, and therefore for all we know FDKM could have replaced it.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
I just read something very interesting, and reminiscent of what i personally said as well about Natsu.
Alright i want to know you guys' opinion about it: Gildarts in this tournament defeated Wahl, Gray as well as some guys from Group A (where he finished 1 vote away from Jellal's first place).
You guys claiming that Gildarts can't be Spriggan level and that we can't speculate because rules blabla. Can you guys explain me how this tournament can remain credible if Gildarts beats Wahl in quarterfinals, whereas in semifinals he is said to NOT be Spriggan level.
We should definitely all agree that Gildarts is, in fact, Spriggan level. Whether or not you agree, we all have to accept it. If you guys don't agree with it you're basically saying all previous round have no value and this whole tournament has no value.
The majority of people voted Gildarts over Wahl is what it means. In this tournament, Gildarts beated a Spriggan 1v1. He beated Gray as well. Now Natsu can be stronger and i won't disagree with it, but at the very least, let's not say Gildarts isn't relevant blabla. He beated Gray AND Wahl and that has been decided by us all.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please tell me how you interpreted the fight that way. No funny shit, I am dead serious, Gajeel literally mops the floor with him while using no actual Dragon Slaying moves but Bradman is stronger. Please, I am generally curious.

Curious about what?

Are you trying to tell me that Gajeel mops the floor with Bradman?

Seriously, I can accept that you vote Natsu in this thread, but if you think that Gajeel can mop the floor with Bradman, then I don't think we are reading the same manga anymore.

Your very statement contradicts itself:

"Gajeel literally mops the floor with him while using no actual Dragon Slaying moves but Bradman is stronger"

See how this doesn't make sense?

How can you say "Gajeel literally mops the floor with him" in the exact same sentence that you say "but Bradman is stronger"??

That in itself is a contradiction. It's either one or the other.

Thanks for clarifying this Holt, so in other words though, Gildarts being scaled power wise to this level is not reasonable speculation?

No, that's not correct.

First of all, you can't change the rules on us. The battle already started, so there are no changing the rules.

If you wanted to make rules, you should have done it at the very beginning.

Secondly, I'll quote what Holt says here:

"Basically, reasonable speculation is intended for feats that haven't yet been shown but can be inferred going by canon material."

Now, I don't see anything in this statement that does not fit the criteria for us to powerscale Gildartz the way we want to.

Gildartz has not shown feats yet, but he does have canon material to back him up.

It is canon that Gildartz has beaten Natsu 2 times.

One by making Natsu surrender. And the other by one punch.

From those, we can infer that Gildartz is still superior to Natsu.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
Curious about what?

Seriously, I can accept that you vote Natsu in this thread, but if you think that Gajeel can mop the floor with Bradman, then I don't think we are reading the same manga anymore.

"Gajeel literally mops the floor with him while using no actual Dragon Slaying moves but Bradman is stronger"

How can you say "Gajeel literally mops the floor with him" in the exact same sentence that you say "but Bradman is stronger"??

His sentence is a contradiction, but it is sarcasm. He's saying that Gajeel mops the floor with Bradman and quotes you saying G>B. Thus contradiction. He's not saying G>B, he's actually denying it

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious about what?

No, that's not correct.

First of all, you can't change the rules on us. The battle already started, so there are no changing the rules.

If you wanted to make rules, you should have done it at the very beginning.

Secondly, I'll quote what Holt says here:

"Basically, reasonable speculation is intended for feats that haven't yet been shown but can be inferred going by canon material."

Now, I don't see anything in this statement that does not fit the criteria for us to powerscale Gildartz the way we want to.

Gildartz has not shown feats yet, but he does have canon material to back him up.

It is canon that Gildartz has beaten Natsu 2 times.

One by making Natsu surrender. And the other by one punch.

From those, we can infer that Gildartz is still superior to Natsu.
Yeah and that's before the timeskip where Natsu gained a massive power up. Honestly if we are going to say that power scaling characters that don't fight for arcs at a time is ok then why have this rule at all? My understanding is that it is intended to keep the focus on character feats not speculation, which is exactly what power scaling a character is.

Status
Not open for further replies.