Feedback - MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread | Page 17 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Feedback MangaHelpers Development Suggestion Thread

Estranho

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This problem with ads is strange because here I've never seen any ads in the forum since I became member. The forum is free of ads and I don't use ad blockers.
Do a scan with your antivirus, see your browser extensions and so on. For my experience with the forum, the problem is not with it.
I've never seen any ad too, in all these years since I became a member (a quite long time, actually). This problem started this month.
And I access this forum at least in 3 different computers, in 2 different browsers (Chrome and Firefox), no adblockers in anyone, and I get the same problem in all of them. So I'm pretty sure it's not a problem of my hardware/OS/browser.

REN KOUEN

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you close the ad now?
the add pops up, right where you are reading posts, and replying to posts and it has reduced my posting on manga helpers significantly

which i know you guys dont want, because i bet im not the only one who is posting less because of annoying ads

Estranho

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
We're considering changing our ad provider, hopefully it'll put an end to those problems.
Any conclusion on this? The ads are still there.

Pat

Lost and Found
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
Any conclusion on this? The ads are still there.
Site management has been notified of the issue, such changes may take time, there's not much else that can be done at this point.

REN KOUEN

Reaction score
Country
United States
Site management has been notified of the issue, such changes may take time, there's not much else that can be done at this point.
could we set it up so that members who donate dont get ads at all?

Pat

Lost and Found
Reaction score
Country
Gotei 13
could we set it up so that members who donate dont get ads at all?
We don't have such plans at the moment but we may implement that kind of system in the future if site management deems it appropriate.

hopeandlight

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's a video that pop-up on every page I click and when I try to close it, it redirects me to the forum's main page. Is that normal?

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
The "Like" Feature

This forum is fantastic, especially with the new forum software. Aesthetically too, the forum is pleasing to the eyes, I'd personally like to see more themes or better contrasting themes as to make reading easier, but I'm sure this will be a progressively improved aspect; overall, great job on the upgrade.

I'd like to point out that the use of the "Like" feature in my opinion should be brought under scrutiny. I think it somehow implies that certain comments are far more worthier to read, than those without likes.

It's something I personally find myself doing without always realising, a tendency so to speak and I would imagine others may possibly share this view too, not sure. Would be much better in my opinion if this feature was just scrapped so people could read comments without discrimination such as:
  1. Looking for likes to decide whether a comment is worth reading.
  2. Looking for likes from certain persons or x-amount of people to decide it's worth reading.
  3. or Being influenced because of the likes.

It's a nice feature, but I don't think it's the best feature where community is concerned. If a comment is liked or disliked, simply just quoting it whetaver the response may be does a good enough job.

The "Like" feature is somewhat crude and unrefined in my opinion, i.e. lacks constructive feedback any shape or form.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The system was originally implemented with the hopes that it would cut down on oneliners and/or gratitude spam. Posts seeming like they're valued differently just ended up as a byproduct.

I understand the criticism, and this sort of thing is usually aimed at internet culture in general. Especially with a site like reddit. Thankfully though, we don't have Dislike as an option and posts don't get buried as a result of not being "liked". So I think it's a rather minor gripe compared to other sites.

Not sure I agree with it stifling feedback, as I think the people who Like a post but have nothing to add aren't necessarily going to be compelled to post just because they can't expressed agreement or gratitude by pushing a button.

Gradonil_Ral

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
It's a nice feature, but I don't think it's the best feature where community is concerned. If a comment is liked or disliked, simply just quoting it whetaver the response may be does a good enough job.

The "Like" feature is somewhat crude and unrefined in my opinion, i.e. lacks constructive feedback any shape or form.
Okay, so tell me this - haven't you ever ran across any posts you agree with wholeheartedly, while, at the same time, not having anything else to add?
What do you do in such situation? Press "Like", right? Or would you rather reply "I agree"?

Personally, I'm not a fan of one liners such as this. Be it "I agree" or "Thank you", if the "Like" function disappeared, we'd get flooded with these messages.
Also, what about older threads? The quote+reply method might work out nicely for active threads, but would you really want to bring out hundreds of long-dead threads that are still helpful to some users?

Hannibal Psyche

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Okay, so tell me this - haven't you ever ran across any posts you agree with wholeheartedly, while, at the same time, not having anything else to add?
What do you do in such situation? Press "Like", right? Or would you rather reply "I agree"?

Personally, I'm not a fan of one liners such as this. Be it "I agree" or "Thank you", if the "Like" function disappeared, we'd get flooded with these messages.
Also, what about older threads? The quote+reply method might work out nicely for active threads, but would you really want to bring out hundreds of long-dead threads that are still helpful to some users?
Well, if you read a comment you disagreed with? Do we need to have a dislike button, or thumbs down button to degrade it? Surely not, it comes across as negative.

What we're all sharing here is our opinions, not trying to win merit for our opinions.

If a comment is disagreed with, it's more constructive to say exactly why it's disliked assuming there were a dislike feature.

Surely, if a comment is liked, wouldn't it be more constructive and progressive of the topic if one could say exactly why they liked what was said?

And if one had nothing to add, then is there really need to add anything? Can't a comment simply be appreciated without some sort of visual merit to it?

MCG_Raven

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I would suggest a System to be set in place that if one of your post is deleted it shows you in that message which post it was. Be that partially repeating that comment or sending an automatic PM containing the entire post. Why is that? Mostly because there will be times when like just now for me people will come back here seeing one of their posts deleted and thinking. "Uhm...yes but what post exactly?..." Because i can't for the life of me remember it but wanna know just what kind of post was considered a One-Liner just so i can elaborate more on those kind of posts to avoid leaving other one liners.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'd like to suggest a new User Status: MH Council Member or MH Committed
This user group would be for members who actively immerse themselves in the forum as a whole. For people who participate in lots of events, are friendly with all other members, participate in many different forums and more. This would be like a badge of honour for those members who can truly be considered a Team Player.
As far as user requirements go I've got a few:
  1. You must be Member rank or above
  2. You must regularly participate in more than 6 forums, Competitions, Events and the Fun Forum
  3. You must have a good reputation. If the staff decide that you aren't a "good" member then you cannot qualify for this status
  4. You must have contributed something lasting to the forum. National Flags, Banners, Ideas in this thread that were implemented etc
  5. (If anyone else has any opinions or elaborations on my idea please do tell :) )
My second proposal: The user group: Intelligence Officer
This status would be given to qualified users who have fulfilled the following criteria:
1. The user has submitted a total of 10 manga spoilers and translation posts to Spoiler Threads.
2. The user will continue to post at least 2 spoiler posts a month thereon
3. The user properly credits the translations and spoiler image sources to the appropriate individuals

Last edited:

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
This, like most community-related usergroups runs into the same problem. How does maintaining said requirements factor into them maintaining the status? Not even staffers are going to be active for life, even though users who've contributed to the site in the way of translating, submitting artwork usually end up retaining said status indefinitely.

It's an okay suggestion, but the most important members on MH have no special username color or title, they're the reason the site is active and exists. Plus, we've had other means to recognize active members such as these in our yearly Community Awards as well as User Rankings.

There are also other possibilities provided by Xenforo that we're aware of, but they aren't something we're willing to comment on just yet.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
This, like most community-related usergroups runs into the same problem. How does maintaining said requirements factor into them maintaining the status? Not even staffers are going to be active for life, even though users who've contributed to the site in the way of translating, submitting artwork usually end up retaining said status indefinitely.

It's an okay suggestion, but the most important members on MH have no special username color or title, they're the reason the site is active and exists. Plus, we've had other means to recognize active members such as these in our yearly Community Awards as well as User Rankings.

There are also other possibilities provided by Xenforo that we're aware of, but they aren't something we're willing to comment on just yet.
You present a fair argument there. It was only a suggestion but I can see why it might not actually do any good. :)

Notice me Escanor senpai

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Morocco

Good point about the first part, not to mention that writing stuff like "I agree" is seen as a one liner.

What I would suggest is adding a rating system that allows multiple options, as seen on other sites that run on Xenforo such as NF, and a few of the options it allows are :"Like", "Dislike", "Agree", "Disagree"...and many more. It allows a lot more options rather than the standard like.

I'm not sure how that would impact the like count here, but I think it works the same.

Also this is about the visual aspect of the site, would it be possible to make the user bar, the one on the left, larger(in width obviously)?It would allow a larger avatar and username area, obviously.

Oh and another suggestion(I'm so creative these days) and that would be allowing members to customize their title. Anyone can put what he wants there, if he so pleases,along with the standards post ranking system.There's plenty of other sites who have that option, even on vBulletin. Right now I think only the mods/admins are able to change the custom titles.

Last edited:

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
But adding a dislike feature would just create a sense of negativity. If someone doesn't like your posts, they won't click that like button. But when posts start getting dislikes, it'll end of being no better than the Subreddits
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Since nobody really uses any of the MH Chat systems (At least as far as I can tell), I was wondering it you could start a Discord MH Server? It's easy to run, use and operate. Some of the Subreddits have them and they're successful

ProGoddess

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
Since nobody really uses any of the MH Chat systems (At least as far as I can tell), I was wondering it you could start a Discord MH Server? It's easy to run, use and operate. Some of the Subreddits have them and they're successful
It is a very good programme for gaming.

What do you aim to achieve by having Discord? Do you think it will generate participation?

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I'm on a few forums that use Xenforo, and I was wondering if you guys were ever planning on enabling the Profile Post function?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Profile posting existed in some form when we had vBulletin but we never used it, so disabling it when we upgraded to Xenforo only seemed natural. In various subforums there are hangout threads and we have sections in the Member Zone and stuff like the Fun Forum that allows people to "let loose" and be a bit more casual with conversation. In the past, we had concerns over it being difficult to moderate every single member's profile in case things got abusive, etc.

I'm personally not 100% against it ever being an option, but there are other concerns regarding it when it comes to technical side as well.