Final Match - One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Final Match One Piece vs. Fullmetal Alchemist

Who wins?

• One Piece

• Fullmetal Alchemist

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcueid

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
That's like Ghost in the Shell vs SAO...

FMA, ofc!

Goral

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Poland
Claymore was garbage btw
Still better than One Piece of shit though. Funnily enough One Piece characters have more estrogen than Claymore ones, even though most Claymore characters are female. One Piece shouldn't even be published in Weekly Shounen Jump but rather in Weekly Shoujo Jump.

Anyway, Oda treats his readers like retards, Arakawa on the other hand gave hints about certain events and characters in various places so that more intelligent readers could add 2 plus 2. What's more, most characters in FMA are adults which in general also increases the quality of the story (FMA being no exception). In OP there are like 900 chapters and it's not even close to the end :D.

P.S.
Too few pictures, add more memes or images that mean nothing to me, text is for retards :).

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Still better than One Piece of shit though. Funnily enough One Piece characters have more estrogen than Claymore ones, even though most Claymore characters are female. One Piece shouldn't even be published in Weekly Shounen Jump but rather in Weekly Shoujo Jump.

Anyway, Oda treats his readers like retards, Arakawa on the other hand gave hints about certain events and characters in various places so that more intelligent readers could add 2 plus 2. What's more, most characters in FMA are adults which in general also increases the quality of the story (FMA being no exception). In OP there are like 900 chapters and it's not even close to the end :D.

P.S.
Too few pictures, add more memes or images that mean nothing to me, text is for retards :).
Why bother with text when the substance of your argument is basically "I don't like it, so it's shit" or "lel butthurt XD"? FMA could do everything better than OP, but that doesn't make it anywhere near as bad as you've described it. Almost everything you've posted so far is boorish, low-tier bait, so memes/images as replies are all it deserves IMO. :lmao
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
The only thing I can grant you is the repetition of OP, which led to me dropping it. But let's be honest, OP was designed to be this kind of series from the beginning. FMA clearly wasn't.

BluePegasus

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
I can't even get into One Piece with that dull artwork. Meanwhile, Fullmetal Alchemist defined what a shōnen should be like and therefore has a rare position in the world of manga. Fullmetal Alchemist should win this.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
One Piece is the only manga that will ever make you cry for a ship. I'll help to add the emotional moments, I think those were pretty famous too:

Bon Clay, a former enemy helping Luffy at Impel Down saga (not so famous, but he helped twice, if you read One piece, you know the hell they had been through in Impel Down):

:emocat I cried twice over the same scene.

And one of the most recent emotional moments is this whole story:

:m3j
Emotional moments !? but Asia-chan i can't forgive you, how could you forget about those (they are not deaths or necessary sad scenes but very impactful scenes that i love a lot ♥)

Oda is really a genius, he introduced the haki on the very 1st chapter and we ve been explained about it years aferwards :

Nami :pout

Also those smoker scenes in Alabasta, his sense of justice !

Zoro scene in Thriller Bark !

Also the whole Robin past.

Grey terminal (#meteorcity), Luffy, Sabo & Ace past :

Koala past as a slave (love this character a lot ♥) theres an interesting parallelism that have been draw between about her story and Nami's :

• While Nami was forced to join Arlong’s crew against her will, Koala only traveled with the Sun Pirates because they were asked to take her.
  • While both were forced to wear their crew’s mark, Koala’s “mark of the sun” was put on to replace another mark. Nami’s Arlong tattoo was removed and replaced with a tattoo of her own design. Each girl ended up with a permanent mark replacing a former mark of enslavement as a result of affiliation with fishmen.
  • When Koala joined the Sun Pirates, she was finally allowed to cry, whereas with Nami, after she was forced to join Arlong she refused to cry.
  • Koala was never forced to do any work as she was freed from slavery. Nami was forced to draw maps and act as a slave to Arlong.
  • Koala’s time in the crew was only meant to be temporary while Arlong intended to keep Nami in the crew forever.
  • Koala left the crew with good memories and was sad to leave the crew while Nami’s time was spent in misery and was happy to leave. This caused Koala to have a good opinion of fishmen while Nami had to put her feelings behind when she finally came across fishmen again.
  • In Koala’s case, her hometown exchanged her freedom with the Marines for the lives of the fishmen. In the case of Nami’s hometown, they fought against the fishmen for their freedom after the Marines betrayed them.
source : http://www.onepiecegold.net/koala-and-nami/2/ it's alos on op wikia but don't know who to credit it's been reposted countless times ive no idea who's the one who originally wrote this.

Sanji past :

Oh wait... what am i doing ? didn't i vote for FMA ?

see how i m erratic and inconsistent ! :derp

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Emotional moments !? but Asia-chan i can't forgive you, how could you forget about those (they are not deaths or necessary sad scenes but very impactful scenes that i love a lot ♥)

Oda is really a genius, he introduced the haki on the very 1st chapter and we ve been explained about it years aferwards :

Koala past as a slave (love this character a lot ♥) theres an interesting parallelism that have been draw between about her story and Nami's :

• While Nami was forced to join Arlong’s crew against her will, Koala only traveled with the Sun Pirates because they were asked to take her.
  • While both were forced to wear their crew’s mark, Koala’s “mark of the sun” was put on to replace another mark. Nami’s Arlong tattoo was removed and replaced with a tattoo of her own design. Each girl ended up with a permanent mark replacing a former mark of enslavement as a result of affiliation with fishmen.
  • When Koala joined the Sun Pirates, she was finally allowed to cry, whereas with Nami, after she was forced to join Arlong she refused to cry.
  • Koala was never forced to do any work as she was freed from slavery. Nami was forced to draw maps and act as a slave to Arlong.
  • Koala’s time in the crew was only meant to be temporary while Arlong intended to keep Nami in the crew forever.
  • Koala left the crew with good memories and was sad to leave the crew while Nami’s time was spent in misery and was happy to leave. This caused Koala to have a good opinion of fishmen while Nami had to put her feelings behind when she finally came across fishmen again.
  • In Koala’s case, her hometown exchanged her freedom with the Marines for the lives of the fishmen. In the case of Nami’s hometown, they fought against the fishmen for their freedom after the Marines betrayed them.
source : http://www.onepiecegold.net/koala-and-nami/2/ it's alos on op wikia but don't know who to credit it's been reposted countless times ive no idea who's the one who originally wrote this.

Sanji past :

Nothing will beat Hughes daughter at
his funeral. Saddest moment in manga history!!!! :sad I cry like a baby everytime.

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
YES @Goral ! THIS IS WHAT THE PEOPLE IS ASKING FOR!

Anyways, as I don't know which one vote I will use Reebi's method.

OP
Art: 8,5/15
Story: 10/15 (because of repetition)
Characters: 9,5/15
Fights/Conflicts: 3.5/5
Universe: 9/10
Feels: 9/15

FMA
Art:8/15
Story: 13/15
Characters: 12.5/15
Fights/conflicts: 4/5
Universe: 7,5/10
Feels: 11,5/15

So I have to add up everything to get the total rate?
So this makes 49,5/ for OP and 56,5 for FMA. Still pretty close. I guess I m gonna wait for more campaaigns but I am more leaning toward FMA. :amuse
So...should I read Fullmetal Alchemist or no?
Yes!
And afterwards resume D.Gray-man :super

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
YES @Goral ! THIS IS WHAT THE PEOPLE IS ASKING FOR!

Anyways, as I don't know which one vote I will use Reebi's method.

OP
Art: 8,5/15
Story: 10/15 (because of repetition)
Characters: 9,5/15
Fights/Conflicts: 3.5/5
Universe: 9/10
Feels: 9/15

FMA
Art:8/15
Story: 13/15
Characters: 12.5/15
Fights/conflicts: 4/5
Universe: 7,5/10
Feels: 11,5/15

So I have to add up everything to get the total rate?
So this makes 49,5/ for OP and 56,5 for FMA. Still pretty close. I guess I m gonna wait for more campaaigns but I am more leaning toward FMA. :amuse
But to be more accurate you should take in account the fact that FMa is wrapped up and that op has still at least some 10 years before it ends and it started way before FMA, de facto Op universe is way broader and ambtious, but at the same time, author has to take more risks to keep capturing the reader interest over the years and he has to keep in mind that reader's tastes are constantly changing depending on various factors and work accordingly. it's not an easy task and i guess the feeling of repetition is likely due to its very long running statute. It's been 20 years op started, but still it always kept consistent and faithful to its ideals.
Also take in account that Fma was a monthly relased series while Op is weekly, writing conditions are not the same. And fulfillment is not the same when you assess a still on-going manga/series and a completed one (depending on if its ends up in a satisfactory way what fma did perfectly) in storytelling its common sense to say that a satisfactory/good/powerful ending is what contributes to make a story memorable. for intance when writing a uni paper/exam writing conclusion is so important that we are often told to start to work on it before the body of the text to avoid to dash it off, because that's where the last impression on the reader lies.

desin24

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Austria
I love One Piece and follow its story since I was 10 years old, so for more than half of my life and I've basically grown up with Luffy's adventures. It's full of fantastic memories linked to amazing panels and stories.
BUT
It's a huge story with a myriad of characters, of course not all of it can be amazing but the majority is at least enjoyable. Here also lies the reason why I vote for FMA. Being a much more concise and character-driven story allows for an overall "greater more focused" story, from start to finish. What I'm talking about is the payoff, of course you should appreciate the journey for what it is the reason Naruto could advance so far despite its shit ending. but the payoff is the icing on the cake.Of course One Piece is not finished yet but I fear it will not be able to deliver the pay off that FMA had for me.

It can be summed up by one panel and and actually one line of dialog in particular that seems kinda insignificant in the middle of that conversation. It's not the ending words of the manga. "I've always been an ordinary human" that line literally brought tears to my eyes simply because it was such a beautiful payoff to not only a fantastic character arc but to the whole story and actually, now that I think about it, maybe even the whole shounen genre in particular. These are all characters with crazy abilities and epic fights but in the end they are just "ordinary humans" who go through a lot of shit. It just made the story come full circle and gives a satisfaction that barely any other fictitious story ever gave to me.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Bon Clay, a former enemy helping Luffy at Impel Down saga
I think the scene with Bon Clay allowing the Strawhats to escape at Impel Down would have been oh so much better if he had died. That would have been one of my favourite deaths in all of manga, but because he just ended up surviving and living a life arguably even better then his previous one it just feels like there was no consequences to that scene, so in hindsight there is nothing to be sad about for me.

As for Ace, its hard to feel for the dude when he died due to low-tier baiting. His death takes the term baited to a whole new extreme. It made his character hella unlikeable, because he basically threw away everything WB and his fleet worked for.

These are the problems with Odas emotional moments, a lot of them just arent executed well (Corazons was great though). I think FMAs are far better executed, from the tragic Maes Hughes death to the more lowkey moments like the dilemma Alphonse had about being human. The saddest moment in OP for me is actually the Chopper flashback with the doctor, that doctors story was very touching.

OP is also terribly formulaic, which is probably its biggest weakness as a series. I cant think of a series more formulaic then OP. The only real arcs that went against the grain somewhat was Impel Down and MF, which is probably why they are the best arcs in OP. The whole Water 7 business was another highlight of OPs due to the amount of good plot points and revelations packed into it, the CP9 felt like a legitimate threat too. Ever since that string of good arcs from the start of Water 7 to the Timeskip though, OP simply hasnt been able to re-capture its magic. I have found every arc in OP post-ts a complete snooze fest, some good moments but as a whole, mediocre at best. And thats what, going on 300 chapters of mediocracy now? Not a good look. The Naruto war all over again, except at this point Id deem it even worse.

The reason I continue OP is because Oda is really good at world building, and there is still a lot of stuff that I am looking forward too as a result. But that doesnt change the fact that as of now, half of OP is mediocre, which doesnt give it the luxury of competing with a consistently great series start to finish like FMA.

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
I'm voting for One Piece simply out of spite of @Purity of Magi lack of campaigning.

But the line truly is the fact that I actually read a lot more One Piece than FMA and I am still 600 chapters behind one piece. FMA has gone and past, but One Piece still lives on and is only 60 percent complete.

I like how @Reebi is pulling numbers out of the air again, but let's be real. One Piece's art is great and unique on it's own. Matched with awesome storytelling, there's a reason why Oda is King of Shounen or Goda.

He's really that amazing.

Also, One Piece is the last of the Big 3, which doesn't include FMA if memory serves correct. :cheez

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
But to be more accurate you should take in account the fact that FMa is wrapped up and that op has still at least some 10 years before it ends and it started way before FMA, de facto Op universe is way broader and ambtious, but at the same time, author has to take more risks to keep capturing the reader interest over the years and he has to keep in mind that reader's tastes are constantly changing depending on various factors and work accordingly. it's not an easy task and i guess the feeling of repetition is likely due to its very long running statute. It's been 20 years op started, but still it always kept consistent and faithful to its ideals.
Also take in account that Fma was a monthly relased series while Op is weekly, writing conditions are not the same. And fulfillment is not the same when you assess a still on-going manga/series and a completed one (depending on if its ends up in a satisfactory way what fma did perfectly) in storytelling its common sense to say that a satisfactory/good/powerful ending is what contributes to make a story memorable. for intance when writing a uni paper/exam writing conclusion is so important that we are often told to start to work on it before the body of the text to avoid to dash it off, because that's where the last impression on the reader lies.
That's right. The presence of ending does certainly play a lot in term of fulfilment. However I personally (well, I guess this is uncommon) don't feel that entrailed by the presence of an ending or its absence. I mean, an ending is cool but what drags me the most into a series is the in-going hype, the desire to want mysteries resolve, to know the fate of the character that I enjoy etc.

It IS impressive that OP managed to create such a universe that remains consistent with such a long story. However I feel like it could have gained by renewing the arc formula arc more. For instance
during the Dressrosa arc, It would have been better if Law had played a more significant role in the defeat of Doflamingo. I mean, that's HIS revenge! And Luffy because he is the heroe and needs to always shine and beat the villain STEALS it from him. .
Oda did make arcs that vary the formula (the Marineford saga and lately Zoo) but I feel he could have done it more.

Also I can't take into account the criting condition because I must stay true to what I said in the previous VS (that is we should judge the work by itself and only itself regardless of real world/outer parameters) but I salute Oda's immense work!

Ps: Man, I think I tried to use english phrases that are too complex for my level, I must have made outstanding errors. x)

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

Sanji past :

Lol, I just said the moments I had on mind at the time:XD, there's more: Sanji's story (the part with Zeff, not with his family), Tom (Franky's teacher) case when he constructed Gol D. Roger ship.

@The President I talked about Bon Clay, because he stays locked in Impel down in order to aid Luffy's escape, even if he doesn't die, staying on a prison for the rest of his life sounds quite sad.

Erin-chan I should be the one saying "I can't forgive you", how can you do campaign for One piece and not vote on it? The backstabbing of this war never ends.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Erin-chan I should be the one saying "I can't forgive you", how can you do campaign for One piece and not vote on it? The backstabbing of this war never ends.
Asia-chan please, did you vote or support at least a single time my nomination (TPN) or my ♥ nomination (hxh):twitch.Not only you never voted for them but you kept bashing them, :emocat even though im still supporting you and and orga despite you being so mean ♥ :pout !
Who's the backstabber then, again

will never forget that words, i was too naïve :feelsbadman

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Asia-chan please, did you vote or support at least a single time my nomination (TPN) or my ♥ nomination (hxh):twitch.Not only you never voted for them but you kept bashing them, :emocat even though im still supporting you and and orga despite you being so mean ♥ :pout !
Who's the backstabber then, again

will never forget that words, i was too naïve :feelsbadman
Erin-chan, I didn't bash your nominations and I'm glad you're helpig the campaign. I only voted for my favorites, I only voted for One piece and Gintama with my heart.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
@The President I talked about Bon Clay, because he stays locked in Impel down in order to aid Luffy's escape, even if he doesn't die, staying on a prison for the rest of his life sounds quite sad.
Nah, especially not when hes pretty much living his dream as being the queen of okamas. Hes probably enjoying it far more right now then he ever did working for Croc or whatever. For a sacrifice to be sad there has to be a loss, Bon Clay did not loose anything, if anything he benefited from the "sacrifice" lol, so there is an emotional disconnect for me there.

Shobu_Yoruichi

Reaction score
Country
Chile
What are you doing!??
Edit the post and put some gif, i liked the post after reading and then saw the user, i couldn't believe it was you xd

Great post, that's what Oda always tries in every chapter, tries to make things interesting, he works in the most capitalist magazine of manga, thus he doesn't makes his story alone, he's forced to adapt everything in a weekly basis, while in a month issue, things are different and give more freedom to his author, you specified that system very good.

@The President your thoughts about Ace are exactly as mine, i was shocked when in a pic of One Piece Magazine, Oda said that he didn't understood why people where so attached to Ace and that he planned to kill him before introduce it in the story xD

Let's follow Reebi's scale :p

One Piece
Art: 14/15 (Oda uses 3 forms of drawing styles, while you can perceive in every chapter crowds that resemble to "find wally" and there's sketches of ships)
Story: 11/15 (Incoherent, lacks of logic sometimes, yet simple and through all, it takes you to journey places and people)
Characters: 15/15 (Recycled system, where 700 characters round his part in the world and some are picked to leave great impressions on readers, Katakuri)
Fights/Conflicts: 2/5 (Two systems of power, typical conflicts and rescues, dragging a lot)
Universe: 10/10 (Perfection, best World Building manga ever made)
Feels: 13/15 (Chopper and Merry highpoints, Ace go and bury yourself, a lot of drama that sometimes is a drag but neccesary for characters)

65/75

Full Metal Alchemist
Art: 13/15 (One type of drawing style, great detail in gag and serious plot, not superb but good)
Story: 13/15 (Coherent, boring sometimes, typical human desire, MC's lost their wish half the story, but great at keeping the "Dark fantasy" theme)
Characters: 13/15 (Mere tools, well used though, but yeah, like old school manga, so very good)
Fights/Conflicts: 3/5 (One system of power, but with better fights than OP, there was more versatility here)
Universe: 6/10 (Nice, just nice, very inconsistent, but oh well)
Feels: 10/15 (Ling, mah bro, you, only you are here, and the Quimera girl, such a bad daddy, all for money)

58/75

As i thought, the tree with more branches wins! D:

YumaKuga

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I voted Fullmetal because I like it

And I think I have stated why I hate One Piece

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Voted for FMA as it has been consistently good, and those who like it will agree. OP however has been said to not have hit its stride until arcs later, and the last few arcs have been meh.

Reebi

Reaction score
Country
Canada
What's with all the OP having good art? It looks like something from the 70s with an acid trip. Where is the shading, where is the detail? Why do the women look like their waists are going to snap in half? Oda tries to do expression artwork but the way he does his facial expressions and the lack of detail is just lazy drawing.

Keep in mind, Hiromu Arakawa did FMA without a mat leave. That's right, she had a screaming baby and body feeling tired and she pulled out something amazing. :redface
What are you doing!??
Edit the post and put some gif, i liked the post after reading and then saw the user, i couldn't believe it was you xd

Great post, that's what Oda always tries in every chapter, tries to make things interesting, he works in the most capitalist magazine of manga, thus he doesn't makes his story alone, he's forced to adapt everything in a weekly basis, while in a month issue, things are different and give more freedom to his author, you specified that system very good.

@The President your thoughts about Ace are exactly as mine, i was shocked when in a pic of One Piece Magazine, Oda said that he didn't understood why people where so attached to Ace and that he planned to kill him before introduce it in the story xD

Let's follow Reebi's scale :p

One Piece
Art: 14/15 (Oda uses 3 forms of drawing styles, while you can perceive in every chapter crowds that resemble to "find wally" and there's sketches of ships)
Story: 11/15 (Incoherent, lacks of logic sometimes, yet simple and through all, it takes you to journey places and people)
Characters: 15/15 (Recycled system, where 700 characters round his part in the world and some are picked to leave great impressions on readers, Katakuri)
Fights/Conflicts: 2/5 (Two systems of power, typical conflicts and rescues, dragging a lot)
Universe: 10/10 (Perfection, best World Building manga ever made)
Feels: 13/15 (Chopper and Merry highpoints, Ace go and bury yourself, a lot of drama that sometimes is a drag but neccesary for characters)

65/75

Full Metal Alchemist
Art: 13/15 (One type of drawing style, great detail in gag and serious plot, not superb but good)
Story: 13/15 (Coherent, boring sometimes, typical human desire, MC's lost their wish half the story, but great at keeping the "Dark fantasy" theme)
Characters: 13/15 (Mere tools, well used though, but yeah, like old school manga, so very good)
Fights/Conflicts: 3/5 (One system of power, but with better fights than OP, there was more versatility here)
Universe: 6/10 (Nice, just nice, very inconsistent, but oh well)
Feels: 10/15 (Ling, mah bro, you, only you are here, and the Quimera girl, such a bad daddy, all for money)

58/75

As i thought, the tree with more branches wins! D:
It's

Art
Story
Characters
Fights/Conflicts
Enjoyability

Status
Not open for further replies.