TV - Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire - TV Adaption) | Page 159 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

TV Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire - TV Adaption)

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Ah, right, aegon is allegedly rhaegar's son. I keep confusing cousins siblings and aunts in that family. From what I have found around not even targaryan is able to become a dragonrider and even dany's fire resistance is situational at best. I am not sure if his plot line is easy so far. He traveled half of essos only to be told dany likely won't give two shits about him. And is now on his way back hoping lords rally behind him because of his possibly heritage. realistically speaking its an all around bad plan that has a non zero chance of working. but if it does it has some interesting implications.
Not necessarily his upbringing, but by the time they leave Volantis and land in the stormlands, they pretty much run roughshod over everyone. He already has taken Storm's End, Doran Martell sends Arianne to meet him because he plans to ally Dorne with him, and is going to meet the forces of Mace Tyrell early on in TWOW.

Agreed, I don't think jon will be aegon in the books either. Its way too much of a dick move and it serves no real purpose. My first idea on this was that in the tv show they kinda fused jon and would be aegon but I am not sure if that makes sense at this point. Fusion would imply that tv show jon serves the purpose of two different aegons but it doesn't seem like tv show jon has done stuff which would fit with aegon. I suppose this makes more sense as a nod than anything else. If in the show rhaegar's kids weren't named then its not actually weird that jon's original name was aegon at least.
Maybe fused in the sense that he's a secret Targaryen, but not much else I guess. Dany isn't going to learn of Jon's heritage before hearing about Aegon's exploits. The moment she comes back to civilization from the Dothraki Sea, she's probably going to hear about what he's done.

Yeah, I can't find evidence of Aegon and Rhaella being named in the show. They didn't even have Dany's vision of Rhaegar naming his newborn son Aegon either, so I guess they thought it'd be the most Targaryen name they could come up with, and they're not wrong I guess.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
The Starks are the real winners.

Sansa queen of the North. Bran king of the south, Riverlands and Valle in the hands of weaklings relative, Stomrlands in the hands of a friend (and if Arya accepted the proposal even better), half of the small council, including the Hand of The King, composed of Stark friends .....

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India

Goes without saying that the whole season and finale especially has been massively disappointing as heck but the music was still top notch. The music being so good really makes me wish we had a proper, well-done adaptation. :(

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I'd say the majority of the aspects of the show are pretty good to great. That's what makes it so disappointing that D&D failed so miserably at writing it. And it's probably part of the reason why so many fans didn't really notice the writing going down the shitter until this season. because it was that bad and the other aspects of the show could cover for the less blatantly obviously writing fails.

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Bad season and ending. I think if they added more time to the episodes or added more episodes, it'd have been much better even with the same results. Varys turned on Dany too quickly, Jon and Tyrion turned on Dany too quickly, Dany went off the deep end too quickly, the wars ended too quickly with little to no suspense, and etc. Not enough proper build-up or whatnot

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
I'd say the majority of the aspects of the show are pretty good to great. That's what makes it so disappointing that D&D failed so miserably at writing it. And it's probably part of the reason why so many fans didn't really notice the writing going down the shitter until this season. because it was that bad and the other aspects of the show could cover for the less blatantly obviously writing fails.
I totally agree. Everything in this season was amazing such as acting, choreography, cinematography, music etc but the writing was horrible. Which is tragic because the writing is the most important part imo.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I totally agree. Everything in this season was amazing such as acting, choreography, cinematography, music etc but the writing was horrible. Which is tragic because the writing is the most important part imo.
There's still things I would nitpick with acting and choreography though, but that wasn't limited to just the latter seasons. Like, I don't understand why all examples of spear/staff fighting in the show had to employ a wushu or asian style. Oberyn Martell and Arya this season are examples of that. It's like the fight choreographers and stunt doubles had no experience with anything else, or just thought it looked cool. Given that Westeros is an analogue for medieval Europe, it always felt really out of place in the show. I also didn't like Arthur Dayne fighting with two swords in the Tower of Joy flashback either. Examples of dual-wielding are shown almost exclusively in asian martial arts and dueling/fencing. Someone in plate armor isn't going to be using another sword in their offhand, it's almost certainly going to be a shield if he's fighting against multiple enemies. That fight looked awkward and pretty anachronistic to me. If you wanted to show off Dayne's legendary prowess as a fighter, having him do all that with a longsword and choreographing it well would have been 10x more impressive to me.

I also wasn't the biggest fan of Lena Headey as Cersei either. I feel like she was far too brooding, and didn't really show enough of Cersei as a two-face or unhinged personality.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The story would have been even more asinine if he had, unless he was the one to kill Dany instead of Jon. Dany's entire supposed motivation for ending up mad was her losing everyone close to her. Jorah was literally Dany's first knight, someone she banished despite what she wanted and who somehow miraculously survived Greyscale as an adult and made his way back to her. Just goes to show D&D had no clue what they were doing, not even having Jorah's character arc planned out before sitting down to write the final season.

It also casts a lot of doubt for me concerning how much of this end is actually canon, considering stuff like this appeared to have been changed last minute. I could easily see GRRM putting Jorah on The Wall, serving just like his father did.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
I thought it was clear that they didn't really care and just wanted to rush while trying to keep what shock value they could. Though at least they made a decent decision in killing off Jorah along with Missandei to make Dany want revenge, but it also made it everything look weird because neither Jon nor Tyrion tried to understand why Dany did what she did. It was just "oh she's mad and razed a city to the ground, let's kill her!"

Oh and it's been revealed that Kit Harington checked himself into a luxury rehab center to deal with his depression (?) and alcoholism because of GoT ending.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
but it also made it everything look weird because neither Jon nor Tyrion tried to understand why Dany did what she did. It was just "oh she's mad and razed a city to the ground, let's kill her!"
Not really, it was written poorly and Dany clearly thought she was doing the right thing and wouldn't listen to otherwise. If you look at her behavior and think of her like a nutjob, their actions make perfect sense. The problem is it was rushed as hell and came from nowhere.

Oh and it's been revealed that Kit Harington checked himself into a luxury rehab center to deal with his depression (?) and alcoholism because of GoT ending.
He had a history with public drunkenness before this, not really surprising

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Not really, it was written poorly and Dany clearly thought she was doing the right thing and wouldn't listen to otherwise. If you look at her behavior and think of her like a nutjob, their actions make perfect sense. The problem is it was rushed as hell and came from nowhere.

He had a history with public drunkenness before this, not really surprising
But often Dany was more receptive and listened better. The exception I can remember is when she had the Tarlys burned. "Rushed as hell" is an understatement as well, everything felt way too quick.

Ah, I didn't know that. Did learn he cheats on his wife though.

Copy Panda

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
China
Weak character on screen and off screen too it seems

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
I thought it was clear that they didn't really care and just wanted to rush while trying to keep what shock value they could. Though at least they made a decent decision in killing off Jorah along with Missandei to make Dany want revenge, but it also made it everything look weird because neither Jon nor Tyrion tried to understand why Dany did what she did. It was just "oh she's mad and razed a city to the ground, let's kill her!"

Even if the reason for dany burning down kings landing wasn't her being batshit crazy for coco puffs.... why would anyone bother trying to understand what they were? What could dany possibly say to justify what happened at kings landing? Dany burned kings landing after it had already surrendered. Dany burned a city that already belonged to her. Heck, the fighting between armies actually restarted because she started burning her city.

Hasn't the guy been a violent drunkard for years now?

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Yeah, I think there's been multiple stories about his public drunkenness. As far as cheating goes, who knows. It's all hearsay.

I'd probably be frequently intoxicated as well if 10 years of buildup for a character was wasted by giving the kill to his OP sister/cousin because writers thought it would be unexpected. Then having to take the Black after getting rid of a tyrant.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
It seems the Bran king is an idea of Martin....

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
If you remember, Bran is the first chapter in A Game of Thrones. His father also talks to him about how to be a good ruler, etc. So as much as it wasn't obvious to most beforehand, I could buy Bran becoming King somehow.

Before that I wasn't really convinced that Bran would ever leave the Weirwood cave though. Perhaps he has someone else's body... like Jon's. :notsure

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
TBH I don't specifically object to bran being king. Or dany going insane. Both things are within the scope of what martin could do in the books IMO. The problem is how the tv show executed this. Anyways, when I read the series I honestly don't care about who ends up in the throne. I don't even find that to be so important in general. I mean, it is an important plot point but from reading the books I don't get that this whole thing is about who sits in the damn chair.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Something which I'd note hasn't been all that much discussed is that the GOT finale basically shows the end of the stark line. As in, starks are pretty much extinct. If sansa is crowned queen then her kids will not be starks, they will belong to whichever other line. Specially considering that john, the last potential legitimate stark, went of to live as a wildling for a whole bunch of indefensibly stupid reasons. So.... there's that.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Even if the reason for dany burning down kings landing wasn't her being batshit crazy for coco puffs.... why would anyone bother trying to understand what they were? What could dany possibly say to justify what happened at kings landing? Dany burned kings landing after it had already surrendered. Dany burned a city that already belonged to her. Heck, the fighting between armies actually restarted because she started burning her city.

Hasn't the guy been a violent drunkard for years now?
Because of their love for Dany and understanding of who she was (someone who wanted to break the wheel and bring peace to the land)? Not to mention, the losses she faced.

Dunno
If you remember, Bran is the first chapter in A Game of Thrones. His father also talks to him about how to be a good ruler, etc. So as much as it wasn't obvious to most beforehand, I could buy Bran becoming King somehow.

Before that I wasn't really convinced that Bran would ever leave the Weirwood cave though. Perhaps he has someone else's body... like Jon's. :notsure
Same until he became One-Eyed Raven and became quite... apathetic. The last scene with Meera made me think he would not be a good ruler.
TBH I don't specifically object to bran being king. Or dany going insane. Both things are within the scope of what martin could do in the books IMO. The problem is how the tv show executed this. Anyways, when I read the series I honestly don't care about who ends up in the throne. I don't even find that to be so important in general. I mean, it is an important plot point but from reading the books I don't get that this whole thing is about who sits in the damn chair.

Something which I'd note hasn't been all that much discussed is that the GOT finale basically shows the end of the stark line. As in, starks are pretty much extinct. If sansa is crowned queen then her kids will not be starks, they will belong to whichever other line. Specially considering that john, the last potential legitimate stark, went of to live as a wildling for a whole bunch of indefensibly stupid reasons. So.... there's that.
I think Dany going evil will be in the books, and didn't Gary list the factors that would start her downward spiral? Didn't D&D or articles say that they know a plot that'll be in the books and will include that in the show?

Jon can't be a legitimate Stark as his mom married a Targaryen. Perhaps Arya on her adventure might find a way to make Bran's dick work again.

xi0

あの術
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
If Sansa is queen she could do whatever she wanted. Marry Harry the Heir and name their kids Starks, who knows. She could legitimize Jon too. It was passed over in the show, but that was Robb's intention when he was at war, just in case anything happened to him. It was at a point where Bran and Rickon were thought dead, and no one knew what became of Arya. He sent Maege Mormont and Galbart Glover with letters up The Neck with after mentioning this. It's one of those unresolved things still in the books, not sure what will come of it.

There's also the fact that we don't know what will happen to Rickon either. I guess he could still be killed, but it seems a bit off. The circumstances certainly won't be the same as I don't think The Battle of the Bastards will even happen in the books. As that's pretty much what replaced the showdown between Stannis and Ramsey. In the show Jon is brought back to life in a day, in the books there's no way that's happening.

Same until he became One-Eyed Raven and became quite... apathetic. The last scene with Meera made me think he would not be a good ruler.
That's just shit writing honestly IMO

Jon can't be a legitimate Stark as his mom married a Targaryen. Perhaps Arya on her adventure might find a way to make Bran's dick work again.
A king or queen could do whatever they wanted. Robb wanted to make Jon a Stark way back in Clash of Kings.

You could say, oh, but Jon wouldn't be a Stark, he'd be a Targaryen. Unless he finds out and people are convinced it's true, his actual parentage wouldn't be relevant as it pertains to family lines and what not. In the show it was obvious that Jon's real identity was pushed forth as a replacement for fAegon not existing in the show. Jon's parentage will probably only be relevant as a means to fulfill prophecy, something D&D stopped caring about seasons ago.