Semifinal - Gildarts Clive vs Natsu Dragneel | Page 17 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Gildarts Clive vs Natsu Dragneel

Which fighter advances?

• Gildarts Clive

Votes: 38 45.8%
  • Natsu Dragneel

Votes: 45 54.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
Lol, I'm not blaming you bro. I was just a little curious.
I just went back a few pages and it's scaling DF Natsu to (if it was DF) DF Gajeel, Crimson Ice said that he beat Bradman without much effort, that's roughly what this is about.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Bradman flat out states that he had to take on the properties of the MBP's to hit him meaning that regular DF Gajeel wouldn't be able to hit him.
And? There is no regular DF Gajeel just the one Gajeel so it doesn't matter. Like I said my original point still stands, when Gajeek finally show his regular DF then you'll have a point.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
And? There is no regular DF Gajeel just the one Gajeel so it doesn't matter. Like I said my original point still stands, when Gajeek finally show his regular DF then you'll have a point.
He still didn't low-diff or beat Bradman without much difficulty though, anyway this is my last post on this because it's off topic...

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
He still didn't low-diff or beat Bradman without much difficulty though, anyway this is my last post on this because it's off topic...
As soon as he went into DF he rushed Bradman and punched him multiple times, Bradman couldn't do a thing. Gajeel stomped him.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
As soon as he went into DF he rushed Bradman and punched him multiple times, Bradman couldn't do a thing. Gajeel stomped him.
He then proceeded to die... Gajeel was fighting for his life and almost lost it, DF Gajeel could only touch Bradman due to changing his properties with the MBP's (upon repeated times of saying this I'm realizing how stupid it sounds...), Bradman heavily implies that a regular DF Gajeel couldn't have done anything.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I'd say the context of Erza's/Gildarts oneshots are the same.

Personally I wouldn't derive any portrayal or power level stuff from it.

Gildarts > Erza through combat feats. Gildarts beat Bluenote, even after his fight was interrupted by Azuma. Erza barely defeated Azuma, albeit both had to use the power of FT/Tenrou in their fight. And because Bluenote is much stronger than Azuma, Gildarts is therefore a lot stronger than Erza.

Fights are always the best source of information.

Not really. Gildartz is leagues/tiers above both Natsu and Erza.

Both in Tenrou and in GMG.

But Natsu in GMG already surpassed Makarov and Jura.

If you think about it, there was barely a timeskip between GMG events and Tartaros events.

GMG and Tartaros were in the same timeskip.

Natsu in GMG is pretty close to the Natsu in Tartaros, of course, Natsu could only use DF in Tartaros though.

Jura pushed Laxus to very high difficulty. Against Jellal he defended everything, pushing Jellal to attempt Sema. He's comparable to both those guys at the GMG.

Honestly if Natsu > Makarov or Jura at the GMG, he's likely on Gildarts level. But he wasn't obviously, as seen in the silent chapter.

I can't say high difficulty in Jura vs. Laxus.

It wasn't high difficulty because Laxus was able to defeat Jura with 1 spell.

Jura was literally defeated all of a sudden in 1 or 2 panels.

I place the difficulty at barely above mid difficulty.

Jellal vs. Jura wasn't finished. It ended early and neither of them went close to being serious.

Gildartz is way stronger than Natsu, Makarov, and Jura

Natsu only started surpassing Makarov and Jura in GMG.

Gajeel not activating his DF at will is completely irrelevant right now.

His DF running out only proves me point.

Bradman could not drag Gajeel down when he was in DF and only dragged him down when he reverted back to base, while Gajeel did kill Bradman because Bradman pretty much said if i'm dying I'm taking you with me.

Gajeel while in DF stomped Bradman and he only nearly killed Gajeel because he reverted back to base.

DF Gajeel>>Bradman.

Now you're using excuses.

Of course Bradman could drag DF Gajeel down.

It's not like his DF would have ripped the portal to shreds otherwise Gajeel would have done it.

Bradman may have died, but so should have Gajeel.

DF Gajeel would have lost to Bradman either way the moment Bradman opened the portal.

EDIT:

It was only a matter of time before DF Gajeel died.

Gajeel himself said that his body was turning into MBPs.

Last edited:

Woodenstool

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for responding Holt. I guess i just disagree with the reasonable speculation. To me if you go down that road it's a slippery slope and tends to negate rule number 6 of the tournament, which reads: "Because the plot is moving forward and certain characters are being developed, they can only be considered as they have been "shown" (pic or text) capable of in the manga, except for the few characters that we have imposed a limit on." I understand that the silent chapter showed Gildarts destroying a mountain, but i think it's a bit iffy to ever judge an attack on size alone, though i do agree it was somewhat impressive i suppose. From what we saw Gildarts was just fighting him CQC, but i mean what you and others are essentially saying is that until the Tenrou Tree came back up, Gildarts was just really not trying at all, I don't buy that. Considering the circumstances Gildarts was going in imo, he looked furious and was using his Crash magic on the ground at the beginning of the fight. I guess what i am saying is that if you are saying reasonable speculation is that Gildarts be scaled to this level, when his last feat was Bluenote, then why can i not just say it's reasonably speculation that Gildarts and Bluenote were both using their magic against one another? I mean they had both taken damage the next time we saw them before the Tenrou tree fell, who's to say he was not using Crash magic, considering he used it at the beginning of the fight? This is why i would prefer to leave as much speculation out as possible in this tournament. Whether or not you think my example is as reasonable as saying Gildarts is on par with the Spriggans is to me irrelevant, because it's still speculation. I do also see where you are coming from in terms of saying that there are opinions in play, but to me saying Gildarts can fight someone(Natsu) who oneshotted his best feat(Bluenote) regardless of whether it was CQC or not is to me not reasonable speculation. The problem with having Gildarts in this tournament is that we just don't have a good idea of his power level, due to him not being around for almost the entire series. Therefore he should have either been left out from the tournament, or we should judge him on pure feats alone imo. This time skip has clearly showed that Natsu has grown leaps and bounds, and with FDKM i have a hard time seeing where anyone who thinks Gildarts can win this fight is coming from, from what we know at the moment.
You are extremely mistaken, if you see the panel of the mountain being destroyed, you can see the trees. Humans aren't taller than trees, and there is a river there.

If you think about it, there was barely a timeskip between GMG events and Tartaros events.

Natsu in GMG is pretty close to the Natsu in Tartaros, of course, Natsu could only use DF in Tartaros though.

Jellal vs. Jura wasn't finished. It ended early and neither of them went close to being serious.

It's not like his DF would have ripped the portal to shreds otherwise Gajeel would have done it.

DF Gajeel would have lost to Bradman either way the moment Bradman opened the portal.

EDIT:

Natsu didn't surpass Makarov, if he could barley push Jacob away and Makarov easily knocked Jacob around.

Gildarts at the end of the day will stay superior to Natsu and even the spriggan 12. Dimaria is the only one I can see stopping Gildarts with her magic. And I doubt Irene or August would match Gildarts strength simply because he can cancel out their spells.

August unable to react to Brandish won't be able to react to Gildarts moving at God like speeds. He punched Bluenotestinger so fast, we seen his hand under his jaw, he moved so quickly that he was already several feet away and attack ing from Natsu. And Gildarts wasn't even trying.

We have never seen Gildarts go all out but that isn't the case with Natsu.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear

EDIT:

Bradman himself states that Gajeel couldn't escape death the second he released his Third Seal and while it might have seemed like hyperbole then, it's seemingly quite accurate. Also it wasn't Gajeel being in DF that allowed him to win, it was the fact he digested the MBP and took it's magical properties (which in itself doesn't make sense because why would anti-magic particles have some form of magic in them?) that he could hit Bradman, without that he would have been helpless.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Natsu didn't surpass Makarov, if he could barley push Jacob away and Makarov easily knocked Jacob around.

Gildarts at the end of the day will stay superior to Natsu and even the spriggan 12. Dimaria is the only one I can see stopping Gildarts with her magic. And I doubt Irene or August would match Gildarts strength simply because he can cancel out their spells.

August unable to react to Brandish won't be able to react to Gildarts moving at God like speeds. He punched Bluenotestinger so fast, we seen his hand under his jaw, he moved so quickly that he was already several feet away and attack ing from Natsu. And Gildarts wasn't even trying.

I have always said Gildartz > Natsu.

Bradman himself states that Gajeel couldn't escape death the second he released his Third Seal and while it might have seemed like hyperbole then, it's seemingly quite accurate. Also it wasn't Gajeel being in DF that allowed him to win, it was the fact he digested the MBP and took it's magical properties (which in itself doesn't make sense because why would anti-magic particles have some form of magic in them?) that he could hit Bradman, without that he would have been helpless.

I know.

I'm the one here saying that Bradman > Gajeel.

It's other people here saying Gajeel > Bradman, not me.

The fact is that Gajeel would have lost either way once Bradman opened the portal.. Gajeel's body was also turning into MBPs, which would have eventually killed him.

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Brandman can pretty much beat anyone, including Laxus, Natsu, Erza, Jellal because of his MBP and intangibility.

Last edited:

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
You are extremely mistaken, if you see the panel of the mountain being destroyed, you can see the trees. Humans aren't taller than trees, and there is a river there.

I am extremely mistaken about what? I clearly said he destroyed a mountain, i just don't think equating attack size with it's potency is right all the time. If you are saying that just because he can destroy a mountain, he therefore can destroy any human then i think that it should be obvious that is not true. There are a ton of characters with similar feats, they can't just go around one shotting people left and right, or maybe they can this is FT after all haha just kidding.

Last edited:

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
I know.

I'm the one here saying that Bradman > Gajeel.

It's other people here saying Gajeel > Bradman, not me.

The fact is that Gajeel would have lost either way once Bradman opened the portal.. Gajeel's body was also turning into MBPs, which would have eventually killed him.
I know I was just adding to your argument, sorry I didn't make it clear. :)

Holt

#1 Ranker
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Thanks for responding Holt. I guess i just disagree with the reasonable speculation. To me if you go down that road it's a slippery slope and tends to negate rule number 6 of the tournament, which reads: "Because the plot is moving forward and certain characters are being developed, they can only be considered as they have been "shown" (pic or text) capable of in the manga, except for the few characters that we have imposed a limit on." I understand that the silent chapter showed Gildarts destroying a mountain, but i think it's a bit iffy to ever judge an attack on size alone, though i do agree it was somewhat impressive i suppose. From what we saw Gildarts was just fighting him CQC, but i mean what you and others are essentially saying is that until the Tenrou Tree came back up, Gildarts was just really not trying at all, I don't buy that. Considering the circumstances Gildarts was going in imo, he looked furious and was using his Crash magic on the ground at the beginning of the fight. I guess what i am saying is that if you are saying reasonable speculation is that Gildarts be scaled to this level, when his last feat was Bluenote, then why can i not just say it's reasonably speculation that Gildarts and Bluenote were both using their magic against one another? I mean they had both taken damage the next time we saw them before the Tenrou tree fell, who's to say he was not using Crash magic, considering he used it at the beginning of the fight? This is why i would prefer to leave as much speculation out as possible in this tournament. Whether or not you think my example is as reasonable as saying Gildarts is on par with the Spriggans is to me irrelevant, because it's still speculation. I do also see where you are coming from in terms of saying that there are opinions in play, but to me saying Gildarts can fight someone(Natsu) who oneshotted his best feat(Bluenote) regardless of whether it was CQC or not is to me not reasonable speculation. The problem with having Gildarts in this tournament is that we just don't have a good idea of his power level, due to him not being around for almost the entire series. Therefore he should have either been left out from the tournament, or we should judge him on pure feats alone imo. This time skip has clearly showed that Natsu has grown leaps and bounds, and with FDKM i have a hard time seeing where anyone who thinks Gildarts can win this fight is coming from, from what we know at the moment.
Well I didn't say Gildarts wasn't being serious. Gildarts certainly was serious against Bluenote, but it doesn't change that their fight was mostly CQC. I doubt Gildarts was using crash with each attack as well. We only saw him using disassembly on rocks that were tossed at him by bluenote still, even if he was doing so, there's still a pretty significant difference between coating arms/legs compared to using actual spells. That difference was clear when Gildarts used Empeyrean (assuming he was using crash the whole time).
Technically, 90% of these fights are based on speculation since the fights themselves never actually happened. The feats that are used as examples are actually feats that were done against other characters, and we know that no two characters are the same. A character's strength/durability/attack potency etc could be misjudged, so this is all hypothetical. So when we saw GC or Laxus' nuke will do X damaged to Y person, we're speculating based on prior material.
It's the same thing with Gildarts here. I haven't actually attributed any feat to Gildarts that he hasn't already done, or that can't be inferred from other scenarios just like the other battles. I mentioned CQC which can be backed up by canon material (like with Natsu vs Jacob), I mentioned crash/disassembly being a possibility to cope with FD spells which again is backed up by canon material. Maybe I didn't come across clearly, but the point is that no character should be given extra feats/strengths beyond what can be inferred from other battles. Thing is, whenever said character faces an opponent, we have to speculate how the abilities and attacks match up. I guess this 'speculation' could be reasonable to some and not to others based on what is being considered but it's a matter of opinion really. Mashima didn't literally state Power levels or rankings, so everyone has to make his/her own judgements of these themselves.

Technically, Gildarts last feat was sending Bluenote flying, or actually, fodderising Tartaros Natsu in the silent chapter. None of which particularly made him look weak or so weak that he couldn't put up a fight here. In fact, Mard Geer bested Jacob (a spriggan) in this tournament. Despite Natsu using DF and Gray's help to fight Mard Geer, he never once cowered in the entire encounter and yet Gildarts got Natsu to do so with a single display (which wasn't even directed at him). Gildarts was still leagues above Natsu, and if we go by the Silent chapter, he's at least as strong as Mard, or more, if we factor in Natsu being afraid of challenging him. So, technically, Gildarts last feat implies he's potentially capable of facing/defeating a spriggan.

Like I said, it's based on opinion. As I mentioned, Natsu didn't engage in CQC with bluenote. Before Bluenote could close in to do so, Natsu roared at him. Thing is, Gildarts is in a better position to deal with a roar with Crash/Disassembly. And he should be > Natsu in CQC.

True, Gildarts could've been left out indeed, but was there really a reason to do so? Makarov, Mard Geer etc were included. Makarov is in nearly the same situation as Gildarts. He's often around but he rarely fights. Mard Geer/Kyoka and others were from previous arcs, with some even having much less significant feats than Gildarts. Thing is, we do have material to go on in regards to Gildarts. It probably isn't as easy to gauge him compared to others, but his strength can be inferred. I was hoping he'd show up before the end of the tournament so it could be easier, but we apparently won't be getting that.

Anyway, I actually voted for Natsu in this fight. Despite all the points I've made for Gildarts, I can't see him being able to best Natsu who has FDKM and DF going by his silent chapter feats. He just doesn't match up tbh. If this was just against base Natsu, then I would've have a different opinion.

Woodenstool

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I didn't say Gildarts wasn't being serious. Gildarts certainly was serious against Bluenote, but it doesn't change that their fight was mostly CQC. I doubt Gildarts was using crash with each attack as well. We only saw him using disassembly on rocks that were tossed at him by bluenote still, even if he was doing so, there's still a pretty significant difference between coating arms/legs compared to using actual spells. That difference was clear when Gildarts used Empeyrean (assuming he was using crash the whole time).
Technically, 90% of these fights are based on speculation since the fights themselves never actually happened. The feats that are used as examples are actually feats that were done against other characters, and we know that no two characters are the same. A character's strength/durability/attack potency etc could be misjudged, so this is all hypothetical. So when we saw GC or Laxus' nuke will do X damaged to Y person, we're speculating based on prior material.
It's the same thing with Gildarts here. I haven't actually attributed any feat to Gildarts that he hasn't already done, or that can't be inferred from other scenarios just like the other battles. I mentioned CQC which can be backed up by canon material (like with Natsu vs Jacob), I mentioned crash/disassembly being a possibility to cope with FD spells which again is backed up by canon material. Maybe I didn't come across clearly, but the point is that no character should be given extra feats/strengths beyond what can be inferred from other battles. Thing is, whenever said character faces an opponent, we have to speculate how the abilities and attacks match up. I guess this 'speculation' could be reasonable to some and not to others based on what is being considered but it's a matter of opinion really. Mashima didn't literally state Power levels or rankings, so everyone has to make his/her own judgements of these themselves.

Technically, Gildarts last feat was sending Bluenote flying, or actually, fodderising Tartaros Natsu in the silent chapter. None of which particularly made him look weak or so weak that he couldn't put up a fight here. In fact, Mard Geer bested Jacob (a spriggan) in this tournament. Despite Natsu using DF and Gray's help to fight Mard Geer, he never once cowered in the entire encounter and yet Gildarts got Natsu to do so with a single display (which wasn't even directed at him). Gildarts was still leagues above Natsu, and if we go by the Silent chapter, he's at least as strong as Mard, or more, if we factor in Natsu being afraid of challenging him. So, technically, Gildarts last feat implies he's potentially capable of facing/defeating a spriggan.

Like I said, it's based on opinion. As I mentioned, Natsu didn't engage in CQC with bluenote. Before Bluenote could close in to do so, Natsu roared at him. Thing is, Gildarts is in a better position to deal with a roar with Crash/Disassembly. And he should be > Natsu in CQC.

True, Gildarts could've been left out indeed, but was there really a reason to do so? Makarov, Mard Geer etc were included. Makarov is in nearly the same situation as Gildarts. He's often around but he rarely fights. Mard Geer/Kyoka and others were from previous arcs, with some even having much less significant feats than Gildarts. Thing is, we do have material to go on in regards to Gildarts. It probably isn't as easy to gauge him compared to others, but his strength can be inferred. I was hoping he'd show up before the end of the tournament so it could be easier, but we apparently won't be getting that.

Anyway, I actually voted for Natsu in this fight. Despite all the points I've made for Gildarts, I can't see him being able to best Natsu who has FDKM and DF going by his silent chapter feats. He just doesn't match up tbh. If this was just against base Natsu, then I would've have a different opinion.
It's not based on opinion, it's based on facts. Gildarts would wipe the floor with the spriggan 12 pretty easily.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
He then proceeded to die... Gajeel was fighting for his life and almost lost it, DF Gajeel could only touch Bradman due to changing his properties with the MBP's (upon repeated times of saying this I'm realizing how stupid it sounds...), Bradman heavily implies that a regular DF Gajeel couldn't have done anything.
I'm not going to repeat myself again, there is only one DF Gajeel which was the one against Gajeel which can touch Bradman.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

EDIT:

No, he couldn't, Gajeel couldn't do anything because Bradman was intangible while the portal itself was made from Bradman himself and no Gajeel couldn't have done that because he had ran out of DF and couldn't use it again.

DF Gajeel>>Bradman

Woodenstool

Banned
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not going to repeat myself again, there is only one DF Gajeel which was the one against Gajeel which can touch Bradman.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

No, he couldn't, Gajeel couldn't do anything because Bradman was intangible while the portal itself was made from Bradman himself and no Gajeel couldn't have done that because he had ran out of DF and couldn't use it again.

DF Gajeel>>Bradman
Can you quit talking about Gajeel!? This is a debate between Gildarts and Natsu even though we know the winner, we are still open for other opinions.

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Yeah i get you, i just think we will have to agree to disagree here which is fine. First of all i don't think that Mard Geer is Spriggan level from what Hiro has portrayed/showed, even though i wish he was. I should also mention i never have said that Gildarts would get Fodderized by Natsu, i just don't think i can see him doing better than losing to Natsu mid diff as of what we have seen in the manga so far. I just don't think we should be speculating the power level of a character that we have not seen in so long, who's best feat is beating Bluenote, someone Natsu beat with one attack, and someone Gildarts did have some trouble with regardless of whether it was mid or high diff. Therefore the way you and others are looking at it is going against rule number 5 of the tournament for the reasons i have outlined, at least that is the way i see it. I think if you wanted to make those points more legitimate you just should of gotten rid of that rule all together, because in reality people are just going to vote how they want anyways, which is pretty much what you are outlining in your post imo. The point of the tournament is just to have fun which i am all for, but if we are just going to get rid of a rule, which imo we are by speculating on such an unknown then let's be honest that we are. I have said my peace though on the subject, however i will look forward to a tournament when FT is over if you guys do one, as i believe that would be far better. I don't mean any offense by my comments, i just think the way the rule is worded is not being followed, but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
Can you quit talking about Gajeel!? This is a debate between Gildarts and Natsu even though we know the winner, we are still open for other opinions.
I know Natsu can wipe out Gildarts handily, I don't need you to tell me to keep on subject.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States

DF Gajeel>>Bradman

It doesn't matter, DF Gajeel would still be dragged down into the portal regardless because the portal is not a physical form.

DF Gajeel could destroy Bradman's physical body, but as you saw, DF Gajeel couldn't destroy the remnants left.

That's why the remnants could form the portal and drag Gajeel down.

If anything, Bradman > Gajeel. If that pisses you off, I'm willing to accept Bradman = DF Gajeel....

Raven

Registored User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Natsu Dragneel win high diff

Status
Not open for further replies.