Quarterfinal - Gildarts Clive vs Wahl Icht | Page 7 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Quarterfinal Gildarts Clive vs Wahl Icht

Which Fighter Advances?

• Gildarts Clive

Votes: 41 56.2%
  • Wahl Icht

Votes: 32 43.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Jellal isn't above Laxus nor is Gildarts portrayed to be above Jellal, this isn't Tenrou anymore.
Jellal is above Laxus by portrayal.

Why do you keep saying "this isn't Tenrou anymore"?

If powerscaling follows, Gildarts should be well above someone like Laxus.

~Charging Lightning~

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

I'd say that Jellal and Laxus are equal based on portrayal.

How does powerscaling put Gildarts well above Laxus?? We haven't even seen Gildarts make an appearance since the timeskip.

Takuan

Reaction score
Country
France
I've always thouht that by the end of the series, near the end Natsu would be able to surpass Gildarts. Either by beating him in a straight fight (which i dont think), or (more likely) by beating someone Gildarts failed to defeat. I thought August would be that man, with Gildarts showing off to save Natsu, getting hsi ass kicked after a good battle, and saying to Natsu "i can't beat that monster, but you... You're stronger than i am now. Beat him up." The student having surpassed the master.
With that in mind i've always thought Gildarts to still be top tier by the end; right now i'd put him still above Laxus, by a small margin. This is assuming Natsu still has some room for progress (with END awakening etc).
That's only an assumption though. I think Gildarts is still superior than Natsu or Laxus, but the difference in terms of power is becoming shorter and shorter.

Mirage

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Yeah, because one was portrayed to be a wizard saint with half of his power ever since the first page of the first chapter while the other one was in a guild.

Jellal had a much easier time with Jura.

Jellal was handling DF Natsu.

Yeaaaah, Jellal being portrayed stronger than Laxus isn't really debatable.

How does powerscaling put Gildarts well above Laxus?? We haven't even seen Gildarts make an appearance since the timeskip.
Because he was > Laxus the last time we seen him. So, logically, if the powerscale follows, he should still be > Laxus.

Crimson Ice

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich

No Jellal isn't.

Because it isn't.

Power scaling doesn't work in this arc like the way it used to or Natsu and Gajeel would be below Erza.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Yeah, because one was portrayed to be a wizard saint with half of his power ever since the first page of the first chapter while the other one was in a guild.

Because he was > Laxus the last time we seen him. So, logically, if the powerscale follows, he should still be > Laxus.
Oh lord. Laxus was above casually above WS level fighters. Being in a guild means jack shit as well because Jura, Makarov and Jose were all I guild and were all WS.

Jellal needed to go all out to get past Jura's defence.

Jellal GOT STOMPED as soon as DF came out. Please show me one scan of handling, because I'm fucking curious.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Logic proves your point, but FT logic works the other way round. I bet you'll all be surprised when Glidartz comes back. Or not, we're just assuming.
Well, I haven't ruled out gildarts showing up and defeating a springan. I am not saying it is impossible, I am saying it is improbable he will catch up to a springan in terms of magical power. What would legitimately surprise me is gildarts showing up and defeating august or eileen since, well, normal springan seem to be well weaker than them. That said, even at the last level gildarts showed it wouldn't necessarily be impossible for gildarts to somehow scrape a win here... He might luck out or have a convenient matchup or even some help.

~Charging Lightning~

Reaction score
Country
United States

You keep bringing up stuff that happened pre time skip like it's still relevant now... Show me Jellal being portrayed stronger than Laxus in this arc, not in the beginning of the series.

Erza was > Natsu pre time skip. Does that mean she's still stronger than him? Powerscaling changes over time bro.

Mirage

Reaction score
Country
Canada
No Jellal isn't.
Nice rebuttal.

Because it isn't.
Again, nice rebuttal. This doesn't tell me shit. All it tells me is that Gildarts has been away for awhile.

Power scaling doesn't work in this arc like the way it used to or Natsu and Gajeel would be below Erza.
What is this? And why not? Because you say so? Please, Gildarts get scaled to Laxus at the very least.

Oh lord. Laxus was above casually above WS level fighters. Being in a guild means jack shit as well because Jura, Makarov and Jose were all I guild and were all WS.
Jellal was WS level since the FIRST chapter, with HALF of his power. Where was Laxus then? Portrayed as one of the strongest in the guild.

WS level with half of your power gone > Being one of the strongest in your guild.
Making Jura shit his pants > Almost losing to Jura.
DF Natsu > Base Natsu
One-shotting a top tier > almost dying against a top tier.
Being portrayed to fight Zeref > Being portrayed to do shit.

Jellal needed to go all out to get past Jura's defence.
Jellal has yet to go all out 100%, so not sure what you're saying here.

Jellal GOT STOMPED as soon as DF came out. Please show me one scan of handling, because I'm fucking curious.
Do you know what getting stomped is? Because Jellal tanked two DF hits and was about to unleash Abyss Break until PIS kicked in.

Like I said, Jellal is portrayed stronger than Laxus. Not debatable. Keep in mind portrayal and feats are two different things.

You keep bringing up stuff that happened pre time skip like it's still relevant now...
Portrayal carries on dude, it doesn't just disappear. It's like when everyone freaked out that Natsu was > Gildarts.

Yes. x791 Gildarts.

Not x792 Gildarts.

Show me Jellal being portrayed stronger than Laxus in this arc, not in the beginning of the series.
Not just the beginning of the series. The ENTIRE series.

And for one, he one-shotted a Spriggan while Laxus almost died against another.

inb4 "Lol Neinhart was weak".

By feats he's weak, by portrayal he's portrayed just as strong as any other Spriggan bar the obvious Irene and August.

Erza was > Natsu pre time skip. Does that mean she's still stronger than him? Powerscaling changes over time bro.
She is portrayed stronger than his base self though. :cookiestare

Last edited by a moderator:

Mard Geer

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
Mid-diff. Gildarts win. Without a doubt that Wahl can create a Weakness bot in an instant. But Gildart's Crash Magic can destroy Wahl's main body in a process of longer battle against Wahl.

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I don't know from where are people getting this Jellal > Laxus. Jura didn't even took Jellal seriously until Sema and Sema wasn't cast so we don't know if it would even work. that's just baseless speculations. Jura took Laxus seriously and he was beaten. that's enough for me. we might as well say that Laxus didn't cast Fairy Law so he was holding back :)

currently its hard to say. Laxus fought a Spriggan who was immune to his powers while Jellal fought someone who just creates corpses to fight and was KO'ed by Neinhart's nuke.

I say Wahl wins this one.

Last edited:

Tirl

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
And for one, he one-shotted a Spriggan while Laxus almost died against another.
While Jellal bring sky help to power up his GC, Laxus oneshot two of spriggans with his casual attacks

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
[mod=Brandish]Please keep discussion civil, and on topic. This is Gildarts vs Wahl. Laxus and Jellal discussion can be done in other threads.[/mod]
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
[mod=Brandish]And that is the end of discussion for this fight between Gildarts Clive and Wahl Icht. Voting will remain open until 12pm GMT on the 19th of June, 2016.[/mod]

Kiki

Ruin me, Ruan Mei
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
Here is the result!

Gildarts CliveWahl Icht
41 votes32 votes

Gildarts Clive advances. Congratulations!​

Status
Not open for further replies.