Discussion - How to Combat Procrastination? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How to Combat Procrastination?

Leen

MH's Peacemaker
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
I really need to learn how to overcome that habit. I found out that I am a last-minute person, so I tend to push everything towards the eleventh hour and cram for my exams and papers. I can't function well at all when I have 5 more days before the deadline.

That kind of studying habit becomes a problem because I know that I work better under pressure; Thus I tend to do my works really late and that often jeopardize the grades that I later receive. =/ When I have a computer in front of me, the distraction amplifies but if I don't sit in front of a computer while I'm studying, I'll fall asleep and accomplish nothing.

Procrastination is getting too much for me to handle. I keep putting everything to the last minute even though I know very well that there is no way I can finish everything within such a short span of time. Plus, I do not have photographic memory that enables me to memorize things easily. Not only that, I'm studying economics right now and economics is not something that you can master in 1 night. It is not like bio where you can simply memorize everything and regurgitate the facts out verbatim the next morning. Economics require lots of consistent reading to get used to the different models and to actually understand the concepts behind it.

See, I know my problems. But I just can't throw off this stupid habit of procrastinating (yeah, including making this thread instead of studying econ). Does anyone have a good suggestion to let me study more consistently and less distracted by my environment?

EvilGenious

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just horrible when it comes to working on papers, studying, etc. The best way that I have found is having someone (for example, my college roommate) breathing down my back.

You can try going to the library or somewhere where distractions are less likely to occur, or maybe study with someone that gets less distracted by their surroundings. As a college student graduating in May, this is the best advice that I have to offer.

SoulReaporKoul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Leen, I feel your pain, I too am a "Last minute" person and have been trying to deal with procrastination myself. I would say the best way to combat procrastination is to get rid of the computer and switch it with an ipod, open up the textbook and just study, sadly you have to force yourself. What EvilGenius also suggested works as well but I would not try to study with a friend (unless you're studying the same thing and thus can help each other out), you end up talking and hanging out rather than studying. The library idea is great, just sitting in a library atmosphere makes you feel like studying as your somewhat motivated by everyone else along with you. As for your comment on BIO, I respectfully disagree, I would much rather do Econ that makes SENSE and is INTERESTING than have to memorize a whole bunch of useless facts that I'll forget the moment the exam is over. :D

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Aye, I believe myself to be queen of procrastination, and I have just been served for this disease of mine. I am a graduating student, and just last week my grades were already released, showing that most of my subjects were incomplete due to unsatisfactory papers (because I didn't work hard on them because of cramming) :shakefist And now I'm cut from my summer break because I'm working on them again! And I am no longer included in the graduating roster.

I mean, I've been procrastinating all my college life (5 years) and I'd been passing my subjects just fine. Just when I'm about to graduate karma hits on me. :scry

I should unlearn this habit, is what my mom says. :faint I dunno how :s

miyi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Leen:

I also have a history of procrastinating, but I've developed techniques to minimize them, and it's worked well for me.

We all have different techniques and different ways of doing things, and so my advise might not necessarily work for you, but it's worth a try.

Attend classes regularly, it helps you keep motivated and keeps you aware of what's going on generally in class, so that you don't phsychologically feel left behind. Also, develop great note-taking skills, and it also helps if you read over your last lecture notes before class, and then read over your lecture notes you've just taken immediately after class. It helps it become ingrained in your memory and you also learn things that you may have not picked up the first time.

You need to make a few sacrifices, such as cutting back on leisure activities. I'm not suggesting give it up altogether, but minimize it.

Your brain functions well when it's well rested, and not under stress, so it's important to adopt a healthy lifestyle (i.e. sleeping well, eating right), and reduce your stress level as much as possible.

I try to devote weekdays to study (not too much, you want to avoid exhausting yourself). Then I reward myself by taking weekends off, do something social, or whatever. This reduce stress, at least for me.

Lastly, you have to keep focused. It helps when right before you go to bed, you plan what you want to get accomplished the next day, repeat it if you have to. So that the next day, you try to accomplish as much as what you have planned as much as possible. Don't get discouraged if you didn't accomplish all of what you have planned, the important thing is that you've actually done something productive that you wouldn't have otherwise been able to do in the first place.

Also, when you make a list of stuff you want to get done, be realistic. Set realistic "short-term" goals for yourself, stuff you'd be able to realistically accomplish. For example, don't set a goal such as:

read 100 pages today. That's just impossible. Break it up into bits....read 10 today, for the next ten days. Alot enough time to realistically accomplish these short term goals. Stay positive, and I hope everything works out.

@baboysai:

sorry to hear about that. I've had similar experiences. Heck, I'm a 6th year senior.......well, actually, I took 2.5 years off from school. I'm glad I decided to go back to school, and seriously this time (serious being the operative word, lol). Best of luck!

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Attend classes regularly, it helps you keep motivated and keeps you aware of what's going on generally in class, so that you don't phsychologically feel left behind.
you know what, I think that's great advice, miyi! I tried that with my one subject (just one, you notice >.>) but it was also because I was really so interested in the subject. But yes, attending it regularly keeps the motivation up.

mrcongojack

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
What usually causes me to procrastinate....hmmm... It's one of two things. 1. Television. I just start watching TV and I lose track of time. The other thing that may cause me to procrastinate is annoying background noise. For example, all today whenever I tried to start reading my personality psych textbook, someone would start an incredibly loud conversation upstairs. It's been driving me crazy. To tune out the sound of the idiots, I would turn on the TV, and so begins a cycle. I've tried asking them to keep it down, yelling at them to keep it down, smashing my head into the wall (seriously...I smashed my head into a wall. Hit the stud), and then shouting at them to keep it down. Eventually I gave up, got out my punching bag, and knocked it around the room with a plunger. Didn't solve anything, but it was fun.

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
Reaction score
Country
United States
I do have a habit of procrastinating way to much and I probably should try to do something about it. However for some reason I love that feeling you get when the pressure is on and you know you have to get something done. There are no if, ands or buts... it just has to be done and done well. I just seem to work at my best when that happens.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
i think like that too, VM. It's like, ideas only come out when you're cramming, because you have no choice but to do it, haha. But i take it it's not a good habit :s It's all psychological. :shakefist

arslan

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
knowing how much time it would take you to do something always helps. I have a bad habit that I don't do things in parts. If I have to write a paper, for example, I will do it all in one day but I keep on planning for it randomly. And yeah, going to classes and taking notes helps A LOT. Library does help and procrastination is not necessarily bad as long as you make sure that too many things are not going to pile up on you. And honestly, even if you are backed in a corner worrying about it never helps. Just relax and start working. Think " It was my choice to procrastinate but now I am going to get it done no matter how long it takes or how much I suffer." Again, know how long it would take you to do a task and leave adequate time for it even if leave you it until the end. This seems to work for me and I hope it helps.

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I'm in the same boat as you Leen.

Found out last monday that my 1month project about books (reading, analyzing, writing and making a presentation) was only half made and it was supposed to be handed in last tuesday (one week ago) so i sat at the comp with music on and a cup of coffee (five acually)... The fun thing is that the first half of the project was made the first four days, i mean, i read and analyzed in four days, then i couldnt be arsed to do anything until the day before the deadline.. Good job!
Same now with the national exams... this is not going too well.. -.-
I need to spend more time at the lib with a mate.. and to prioritize better!
I rather do 20mins work every day for two weeks than five hours work one day.

I might even start taking notes on classes..... *shudder*

BusoZero

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
First post in this forum, not really used to this...

Ahhh, procastination. One of the many hardships in studying. I remember back when I was in 6th grade, I had many hardships that time due to procrastination. Anyway, though I don't have the solution to completely "destroy" procrastination, I do have some tips in slowing down procrastination, though, it isn't the best there is...

1. Limit your computer time.
Instead of using a home computer to play while doing homework, I suggest using the library computer. Which limits the time you can go on it (Well, my library does that...). And if you don't really need the computer to type out an assignment, use paper, so that you'd get into the habit of limiting your computer uses.

2. Work with a friend
[Warning: This is a double edge sword technique, it might not always work]
Working with a friend is helpful. While working, if you have a temptation to go on the computer, your friend might somehow stop your temptation, thus, help your studies further. A few other good points are how your friend can help you study faster and also how it might give you a motivation to study.

3. Motivation
If you have motivation to study, procrastination might not be a big part in your study life.

But then again, these are just tips. Some might work, and some might not. Use at your own risk.

Dash4

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I can agree with you on how difficult it is to get rid of procrastinating.
It is such strong habit to break.Just like any other habits though.
I would say from experience that the only way and quickest way to deal with it is to focus on your most important task.What I mean is I would pretty much forget everything else except the task on hand until it is completed at least.

Hana

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I have never found a good way to fight procastination. I keep procastinating my attempts at doing something about my procastination. I don't even think I learned to spell it properly. XD

Anyways, the solution for me seems to be to not think about procastination at all, and pay for it when I'm stuck with whatever I procastinated in the last minute. Maybe you should try to work with it instead of fighting it? Maybe it can help you handle stress or something?

Oh, I'm such a bad advice giver -.-

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Well there seems to be a good feeling when you procrastinate and then start cramming, and you finish it anyway, and you feel the adrenaline and stuff...

but that didn't contribute at all to the topic now did it? :p

Hermie

vs. The World.
Reaction score
Country
Norway
Hmm...

Eh, I'll post something here later.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
:rofl

Maybe the ideas will come later.

LadyHatake

Aristocratic Assassin
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm having a terrible time with procrastination. I have exams all this week and it's so hard to study :( I have papers I need to do too >__< Usually I can just get done and do things by making a list of everything I need to do, in order, but this week is just meh D:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Yeah and I understood you tried to keep away from MH because of exams... since... a year ago?

wow. That is a serious problem indeed :s

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
"night-before-exam" procrastination fails and i fail with it.

enough said

*emo*