Discussion - How to Combat Procrastination? | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How to Combat Procrastination?

steelwingcrash1

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
The computer is indeed a very strong mechanism for distracting us in our obligations. Sometimes, I had to keep my wallet off me so that I will not be tempted to rent a computer in a cafe. Whenever I say that I will be typing a requirement in the cafe, I always spend an awful amount of time just playing, resulting to not being able to finish what I was supposed to do. This often leads me to procrastinate a lot. Even teachers like me are still prone to procrastination.

I need to constantly refrain from bringing my wallet with me.

Day

Translator
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Getting away from the computer and my cellphone helps but overcoming procrastination can be a challenge at times because it's like proven fact that there is something else we'd all rather be doing than studying. Study in increments and reward yourself after an hour or two of studying with breaks!

Momotaros

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the greatest thread ever! For me, it's always starts with the mindset; "Alright, you want to study, you have to study" and then it's the first move. The first move (opening bookbag, taking book out) is always the hardest but it's the most important. If you can do that, then studying should be a breeze. Of course, there's the chance that you get distracted which is another story. Lol

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
heh this is a nice thread. i had the problem of procrastination, it's kinda fixed now. The first thing you need is to develop a study/working habit. You need some ORGANISATION.

-first thing: if you're addicted to something (facebook, video game etc...) , learn how to control your addictions.
-take 1h or 2 everyday ( always the same hours), close everything on the web try to work. Even if you do nothing else than starring your copybook, it's fine cuz little by little it'll become an working habit
-try yo find interest in what you do. Yeah it's hard to like your work, but you need to have a goal. Try to challenge yourself.
-Find a working method, to be more productive. personally i use a time management technique called the "Pomodoro technique". You can find it if you check on google. that method alone changed a lot of thing to me. I used to be a lazy mofo, now when i study i'm super productive.

some things that can help:
-having a physical activity always make you organized and more responsible and help a lot in life. For example people who do martial art are always disciplined. People spend most of their time sitting on chairs and on they computers, it's only normal that they grow lazy. Having a physical activity will help you to get out of your laziness, internet addiction and stuff like that.
-If you enjoy music, you can try studying while listening music. its work for some people

Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
My tips :

1) Eliminate distractions. Turn off your mobile phones, internet, TV or anything else that may distract you. Everything else besides your study material would become interesting to watch/read/listen during studying :p
2) Begin with the easiest task first. Usually if I want to write an essay, I begin with turning on my computer and shutting down my internet connection. That actions stimulate me to focus and begin my work.
3) Don't overdo it. If you start losing your focus, better take a rest for 15-20 minutes rather than continuing without focus.

Hope that will help.

Crown Clown

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Sometimes procrastination can indeed be a really annoying problem...especially if the Internet is the distraction

The best solution for me to temporarily deal with it is to set a decent period of time to do entertain myself by whatever means possible without touching a single piece of work :celebrate (but try not to do this if you're already pretty behind your work)

Besides that, perhaps one tends to procrastinate because they are not very satisfied with what they have been doing the entire day. Try to bring in some elements into your day that make you feel like you have accomplished something fun and yet significant. As for what it should be, it depends on your taste I guess? (Sorry I don't have examples here to demonstrate :leaving)

Last thing I can come up with is to do some exercises that require great concentration (Yoga for instance; I know many may laugh at this or find it silly but sometimes the strangest things work for you). If you're the type that procrastinates because you aren't used to working consistently without somebody pressuring you, that may help.

I guess it mostly depends on what causes your procrastination. But I'd prefer to not always look at it as an intrinsically bad problem. Sometimes procrastination just means you're not a person who easily conforms to rote learning perhaps? Or that you need some recreation.

That's the best I could suggest unfortunately :/

Reactions: Day