Discussion - How to Combat Procrastination? | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How to Combat Procrastination?

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
besides, inspiration comes at the very last minute, no? :grin

vintagemistakes

Vintage Reboot
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
win answer.

truth is, you can't combat procrastination...it's like fighting jealousy or terrorism. Actually, it's like trying to beat up vin diesel, you just can't. Just accept it, and wait for those sweet last minutes when you're scrambling.
Not to get off topic or anything, but whats with you and Vin Diesel... are you Vin Diesel? should we be calling you Vin "Bean" Diesel from now on?

Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
that is off topic. -_-;

and for that you get a :offtopic2 plus a :modsmack

anyway, recently i have improved with doing things that should be done, and I think the main reason is dropping Naruto and Bleach. :o

I have now more time at hand, and since I stopped playing games, I really have nothing left to do but do the necessary stuff.

well okay, i know that's not an option for people who read naruto and bleach, and play games. -_-; probably a more concrete reason is that i keep repeating to myself "priorities". so I remember my priorities and I can do it. sometimes I also think "do or die" and I just do it. :thumbs

socai

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
India
Help with Procrastination – Read the Cases!

Help with Procrastination – Read the Cases!
Procrastination can be what makes the difference between a successful you and a typical you. I mean, we all have stuff to do all the time, and we do things that we hate doing and sometimes we delay the things that we truly dislike hoping that they will take care by themselves. The thing is, once this happens with just about everything in your life, you should really start worrying since procrastination may be knocking on your door. Procrastination is what makes life stressful and annoying, it what takes your free time away, and sends your opportunities out the door. Now you understand why it is so important to stop procrastination at once. Since procrastination presents itself in numerous forms, within this article we shall discuss about some of the most common types of procrastination, and how to overcome them. However, before we start, understand that in order to stop procrastination you have to really want to get ahead, you should want to really have your life organized in a way that will allow you to do the things you need to do and want to do.
• Dealing with the little things
In order to stop procrastination you have to understand why the little things should be dealt with at the appropriate time. You see, often when we have a huge project, we only take care of that and forget the little chores. The unfortunate part is that even if we forget about them, we still have to do them at one point or another - meaning that these will remain similar to some little irritants that will constantly prick on you. Soon, the little thing you delayed doing in the first place will increase your stress levels, will become bigger than it was due to the short time span remaining, not to mention the rest of the side effects such as goofing off on your big project and so on. The truth is, as soon as you start working on that little thing you realize it was not was bad as you thought it was in the first place. The easy solution for this case is never to leave the little things behind – in order to stop procrastination, it is easier to do the little things before you start the huge project, because after you actually finish them, you can take of whatever is important for you in peace and quiet.
Another way to stop procrastination with these types of situations is by adopting the “Do It Now!” habit – doing it right will add to a sense of righteousness, not to mention that it will improve your morale along the way. Oppressive, useless weight will be lifted from your shoulders, and you will finally be able to focus on the really important things in your life.
I will suggest you really good site which will really boost your self to overcome so called Procrastination

http://helpprocrastination.com/dont-be-a-victim/help-with-procrastination-–-read-the-cases.php

Dorothea

Reaction score
Country
United States
Schools usually have some resources, like at the counseling center, for people with procrastination problems. I'd suggest doing that. The people who work there have all kinds of advice for study techniques.

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Being a procrastinator sucks I've been trying to chage myself and the only solution I can think of is will power.

I usually take 7 minutes to reach the bus station and I used to left 5 minutes before the bus left and I allways had to run, Now I leave home 20 minutes before the time.

And i used to do homework late in the night and in the next day I couldn't wake up for ealier classes but now i do them as soon as I reach home. And School projects were done 3 days before deadline. As you see is all a matter of will power.

Oh and making a time table is pretty important a study callendar as well.

Last edited:

Erimia

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
stress and depression are huge factors in procrastinating, so a counseling might be a good idea

BP123

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I know that when it comes to studying I always found it easier to study by knowing what topics I needed to cover and then going down to the local starbucks. This way you don't have the opportunity to turn the TV on or surf the net or talk on the phone. Just go to the coffee shop (one that's not too busy) order a drink and sit there. The other important thing to do is you have to know how much you want to accomplish (ie set goals). I think that rewarding yourself for achieving your goal makes procrastination easier to manage. Every time you achieve your goal you should buy something for yourself or do something immediately after that makes you happy. I know after acheiving my study goals I'd go home eat something I like and watch a favorite show. Hope this helps...

Alan
http://www.basinpipes.com

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Your teory is really good BP123 it's like training a dog lol but yeah that works really well. For me wining against procastination and finishing my school works make me really happy. Because after I make everything I can relax and be at ease.

Belisar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
If you want to improve your life then it’s tempting to want to add more. One problem with this may be that you don’t really have the time or energy to do more though. And so your efforts to improve become short-lived.

Adding more and more just creates more stress and anxiety. Removing clutter and activities, tasks and thoughts that are not so important frees up time and energy for you to do more of what you really want to do. And as the clutter in your outer world decreases the clutter in your inner world also has a tendency to decrease. This has the added benefit of making it easier to actually enjoy whatever you are doing even more while you are doing it.

Adding more thoughts and thinking things over for the 111:th time may create a sense of security. It’s also a good way to procrastinate and to avoid taking that leap you know you should take. And the more you think, the harder it gets to act. Perhaps because you want to keep that comforting sense of security and avoid the risk of wrecking that feeling.

Thinking has its place. It can help you plan a somewhat realistic route to your goal and help you avoid future pitfalls. Overthinking is however just a habit that will help you waste a lot of time. It’s more useful to replace that habit with the habit of just doing it.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Unfortunately, the only person who can you combat procrastination is yourself. Yeah, yeah, this sounds too pedestrian to listen, but that's the truth. All other persons can offer you pieces of advice but the integral part is whether you will those pieces of advice or not.

Hidari

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I'm not too sure if someone has mentioned this before, but you could try to get a few buddies to study together. They'll help keep you in check. Or if something in particular is a distraction, for example, your computer, then try not to be in the same location. That was what I did during my exam period last year ^^ But in the end, yes, you have to have the determination to do it. Just tell yourself, all it takes is just one action to be away from procrastination ^^

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
How to Combat Procrastination?
procrastinate more, one day you will get tired of procrastination then (i am still experimenting this theory, and hopefully will get a result soon)

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
How to Combat Procrastination?
procrastinate more, one day you will get tired of procrastination then (i am still experimenting this theory, and hopefully will get a result soon)
On the contrary, I believe that procrastination is a bad habit - meaning it can not easily be broken. I think we cannot just get out of the system by getting tired of it. Great will power is needed to overcome procrastination. :amuse

OneClash

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, one thing is a method I found online called the 10*2 method. You work on something for 10 minutes, then take a break for 2 minutes. At the end of two minutes, work for 10 minutes of focused, undistracted work time. (and efficient.) Repeating this cycle will get you 10 minutes of free time and 50 minutes of work done per hour.

Don't worry I also procrastinate too, but not as much anymore because of this equalizing method I made up.(It's really simple.)

So today, I got assigned Current Events and Unit 3 on my Word Wise. ( You don't have to know what they are.)

I took 10 minutes to find how long it would take me to finish each of them.
Word Wise: 2 hours.
Current Events: LOL, show details:
10 Current Events by March 7th. Can be turned in before due date. 2 MUST be World Events or civilizations studied in History.
So, it takes me about 1-2 hours to find and finish one current event. So (Lemme open up iCal real quick.)

So, I can do about 1 current event per week for 9 weeks. To make it easier for me, I can manage in on holidays. Since I have some holidays on the way, I'll do an extra current event on that day.

So, you see, procrastinating is mostly about managing your time wisely and motivating yourself. If you would like to know a bit about these two topics: Motivation Google Search, Managing Your Time Google Search.

Well, I hope that post helped you. If you need any help, please feel free to ask me! :D :ghost

Oh, and BTW, One Piece is epic!

Last edited:

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Usually the problem is to start with something, isn't it?

I haven't been to school for a while as I finished abitur this year and will only start studying next summer semester, so I didn't have to bother with this question for a while, but I thought that some kind of "ritualisation" properly is most helpful.

For me this means: Just start off doing something totally different, which still interrupts me from what I did before, and has a fix time limit. Such as boiling water and make a tea. It's easier than to start off right with stuff like homework.
However, once the tea is done there's nothing I'ld be currently doing, so it's easier to start with homework at that point.
Just repeating it a couple of times, already makes it some kind of ritual. It's way easier to follow such a procedure than the usual "Ok, I'm currently reading, but when I'm done with this chapter I'll certainly start doing my homework.", because that never works for undisciplined people like myself :amuse

silver_soul

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Usually the problem is to start with something, isn't it?

I haven't been to school for a while as I finished abitur this year and will only start studying next summer semester, so I didn't have to bother with this question for a while, but I thought that some kind of "ritualisation" properly is most helpful.

For me this means: Just start off doing something totally different, which still interrupts me from what I did before, and has a fix time limit. Such as boiling water and make a tea. It's easier than to start off right with stuff like homework.
However, once the tea is done there's nothing I'ld be currently doing, so it's easier to start with homework at that point.
Just repeating it a couple of times, already makes it some kind of ritual. It's way easier to follow such a procedure than the usual "Ok, I'm currently reading, but when I'm done with this chapter I'll certainly start doing my homework.", because that never works for undisciplined people like myself :amuse
You know, I'd probably open the kitchen draw to find that I have no teabags, go to the shops and do all my other shopping at the same time only to come back feeling hungry. Then, after making an extravagent meal, I'd feel the need to relax and end up falling asleep, thinking I'll do it tomorrow. Same thing tomorrow, only this time, I have no SEMI-skimmed milk. :p

But I know what you mean, do a set of actions for long enough and your body will automatically form a routine. It's a pretty good idea. Worth trying.

steelwingcrash1

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I'm pretty sure that if you try NOT procrastinating for once and you'll see the benefits from it, you'll eventually stop doing that bad habit of yours.

For example, NOT procrastinating will mean more time to sleep, more time with your girl, etc. I think those are pretty good reasons enough for you to quit that inveterate habit.

Roflkopt3r

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I'm pretty sure that if you try NOT procrastinating for once and you'll see the benefits from it, you'll eventually stop doing that bad habit of yours.

For example, NOT procrastinating will mean more time to sleep, more time with your girl, etc. I think those are pretty good reasons enough for you to quit that inveterate habit.
The thing about such indisciplines is, that they have nothing to do with common sense. Logics only make an awfully small part of human behavior, many people are so to say forced to break their habits indirectly, including me.

You know, I'd probably open the kitchen draw to find that I have no teabags, go to the shops and do all my other shopping at the same time only to come back feeling hungry. Then, after making an extravagent meal, I'd feel the need to relax and end up falling asleep, thinking I'll do it tomorrow. Same thing tomorrow, only this time, I have no SEMI-skimmed milk. :p

But I know what you mean, do a set of actions for long enough and your body will automatically form a routine. It's a pretty good idea. Worth trying.
Thanks ^^
I guess that's solvable. Once there is a certain bit of discipline (happens once in a while, even fur students) just prepare everything so there is no return for the next time :p

EureKA

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Unplug the internet cable (or disable it if it's wireless). That usually helps me a lot.
QFT. My education is entirely focused around computers and when you have an unlimited amount of crap floating around on the internet you are bound to get distracted a lot.

Unplug the cable is something to live by, seriously i should be working right now, Look at me!, I just can't help it.