Discussion - How to Combat Procrastination? | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion How to Combat Procrastination?

Assymilum

Manga Editor
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I'm having a terrible time with procrastination. I have exams all this week and it's so hard to study :( I have papers I need to do too >__< Usually I can just get done and do things by making a list of everything I need to do, in order, but this week is just meh D:
I try to like divide the stuff I need to do... Like, multi-tasking, you know. So when I'm downloading something from the web, I take that 1 hour or so to study and do homeworks. If that's not enough, then I'd come to school earlier do the rest before the class starts.

But on more difficult tasks e.g. projects, I would try to at least work on it little by little. I keep the files on my beloved computer, so whenever I got bored of checking the forums and when there's nothing to download, I can just always open the file and work on it, even though just a little bit. :p

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
It actually works, i think, if you have this whiteboard that you list all your tasks. It's better than on paper since it's kinda bigger, and you see it all the time (provided you put it in a strategic location).

If the list is too long and it overwhelms you or discourages you (like it usually does to me), what my friends and I do, we put progress bars next to it. Filling the bars depending on the percentage done. Somehow when you see that you've done a little percentage of everything on the list it motivates you to complete the progress boxes. ^^

Ramen4ever

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I used to procrastinate a lot. Best solution is to put yourself through a test. Do you have the determination and constitution to finish the work? At that point I just do it. First step is always just sitting down and finding the first step. It get's easier along the way.

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
I usually go and check what grade i have in what subject, and when i see my grades are going down i start to procrastinate like i'm doing now. 15hours / weekend or something... 3hours procrastination then like 1hour of random lulz and so on...

_Zac_

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Unplug the internet cable (or disable it if it's wireless). That usually helps me a lot.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
but then you find other things to do like... play the piano or some other music instrument and stuff..

blai

Corporate
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Been there lots of times baboy! If the net's are down and i got hw's to do or something. I usually sit down at the guitar for 5mins (i think) and then one and a half hour later it's like "oh shit!"..

notoriousnougat

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
"night-before-exam" procrastination fails and i fail with it.

enough said

*emo*
This always happens for my last paper. Like yesterday. :scry

I find it helps to take subjects you're interested in. Then reading the textbook is actually fun! Or cause I'm taking econs, I like reading blogs of famous economists to see if I understand what they're talking about (which I don't actually).

Belisar

Reaction score
Country
Germany
I really need to learn how to overcome that habit. I found out that I am a last-minute person, so I tend to push everything towards the eleventh hour and cram for my exams and papers. I can't function well at all when I have 5 more days before the deadline.

That kind of studying habit becomes a problem because I know that I work better under pressure; Thus I tend to do my works really late and that often jeopardize the grades that I later receive. =/ When I have a computer in front of me, the distraction amplifies but if I don't sit in front of a computer while I'm studying, I'll fall asleep and accomplish nothing.

Procrastination is getting too much for me to handle. I keep putting everything to the last minute even though I know very well that there is no way I can finish everything within such a short span of time. Plus, I do not have photographic memory that enables me to memorize things easily. Not only that, I'm studying economics right now and economics is not something that you can master in 1 night. It is not like bio where you can simply memorize everything and regurgitate the facts out verbatim the next morning. Economics require lots of consistent reading to get used to the different models and to actually understand the concepts behind it.

See, I know my problems. But I just can't throw off this stupid habit of procrastinating (yeah, including making this thread instead of studying econ). Does anyone have a good suggestion to let me study more consistently and less distracted by my environment?
omg.... are you me? you must be me.....

suddenly i begin to realize that this disease have hit much more people than i thought.

we had a course in the university that should provide us some learning methods. what i have learned is that you must separate the place where you are learning and space where you are doing all the other stuff. if you have a computer right beside you than you will have problems to concentrate. if you don't need the computer for studying than go into another room.

well, the problem here is that the most people just have one place/room for everything, like me. it's difficult to separate. there are many methods and i don't have the time to write them all down (maybe i will someday). organize the study should help. you write notes for yourself what you need to study and you force yourself to work them through. if you don't have the will than nothing will work.

people can concentrate for about 20 minutes. than we start to think about everything but study. breaks are essential here. every 20 minutes a five minutes break. one 20 minutes break after few hours and one big (1-2 hours) break for dinner. go outside and breath fresh air. do some sports.

if you start to think about random things during the work, than just write them down and put them aside. you will know in your consciousness that you deal with them later. i have not tried this part myself though.

that are just a few things that were us told. i'm trying to find a method for learning myself. i must test a few methods to see if they work but you know, i think they are quite bugging and time-consuming. as you see i'm a lazy bastard. ^^
i try to force me through sheer will to study and it's not working quite well. you need a will made of adamantium. ^^ but you know that already. ;) it's the fastest and safest method to learn but also the most difficult one, too.

i think i just try the will-thing...maybe it works. if not...than i have the learning methods though. peace and out from the study front.

Last edited:

Monte

Manga Editor
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Easy, just don't.

baboysai

Pink Warrior
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
that's the hardest thing to do for us with that problem... it's like an addiction, really :shakefist

what I always do when procrastinating is looking for other stuff to do right? And by that time I know I'm procrastinating already. But I can't stop not doing it. So when I find something else to do, the least i can do is get it over and done with immediately, etc. etc. until I've done everything except the thing I should be doing, and I'm left with no choice but to do it :shakefist

~Lilium~

Reaction score
Country
British Antarctic Territory
I have this same problem as well. :( I've been trying to keep away from the computer (and am succeeding actually) but i just do other stuff anyway and stray from my studies and what-not.
(I have 3 exams this week and a paper due on thursday... still haven't started much on anything...) :darn

I haven't found a solution to this, as you can see, i'm still a procrastinator. lol :D. but i usually do some work/writing/studying whenever i feel a boost of initiative that randomly pops out of nowhere I'd be studying for an economics exam for the next week in an accounting class during the day.... yeahh.. :p but it does help because i won't have to cram as much when deadlines are very near.

I suggest that whenever you feel like finally doing the work or study, wherever you are, just do it. At least you'll get something done, even if its just a little bit. And when the feeling passes... then do something else. lol :p

and as for tidbits that might help... i find that thinking 'oh no! i'm gonna fail!' seems to work. Whenever I know that i'm procrastinating, like now, I keep on saying to myself, if i don't start this essay/study...etc.. soon i'll fail. It helps sometimes, though its really pessimistic, it makes me start doing what i need to do.

Keeping things scheduled as bb said, also works. For me anyways, but not all of the time either. :p

Oh, and i find whining about it helps! :XD i dunno why, i find that whenever i just whine and complain enough about doing my homework, i finally get to do it. Especially if i whine to a friend, because they'll keep telling me to just do it already. :D

i guess there's no solution to this but plain ol' will power!
or you could get someone into tricking you that the deadline is actually the next day and not next week. :big-smile. You'll end up finishing your work a week in advance! :p (and correct/improve it later)

BigCamaro

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The hardest part is getting started. When I was disciplined I'd set limits for myself. When I got home, no kicking off my shoes until I finish a page of something like if I have a paper due. No water until I do something else. No tv until..well you get the point.
Somewhere along the line I lost that discipline and became a wreckless drunk though..But Ive been there. Don't abandon all hope yet!

reinen

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
I just realized that this entire "study corner" could be closed with one simple advice on how to study: :p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ihWymC6_Dw
:blink Are there people doing things like that? Kinda harsh y'know. :p But, it was an anime, not a real people.

So yeah, I read this thread to find how can i defeat my procrastination urge. It's just too hard to do. I'm an easygoing type of guy so that makes it worse. I'm glad there are people like me. This problem began when I'm entering college life. It was a sudden change of pace, and I'm not really getting used to it. It was so different from when I was in high school. Assignments and tasks are coming like a never ending circle, and the deadlines is not a good news. Sigh... and things piled up when I realized I'm past deadlines.

I think I'll take some suggestions from members that posted here. Like, making lists, know how long it'll take, etc.

And lastly, I have a quote that I remembered from Futurama, "You gotta do what you gotta do" :tem

-rei

Paper

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Earth Kindom
Setting standards, goals and deadlines for yourself can greatly help you overcome procrastination. You see, following your own deadline, and setting standards for yourself will make you feel more accomplished once you've completed them on time. It will also give you a deeper sense of remorse if you fail, since you've failed yourself and not someone else. A little prize at the end of the finish line might help as well (e.g. allowing yourself an hour of gaming time after you've passed X amount of deadlines). Having a high standard for yourself can also help you achieve goals quicker. In effect, using and reinforcing on these traits will show other people around you that you are a capable individual, and that you're not one to be taken lightly; this process will also help you gain the respect of others, but more importantly, it will help you gain respect from yourself.

Last edited:

razor

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I think the best way to fight it is by believe to yourself. It is hard to believe to yourself, but once you start to believe it, then you will succeed.
As for me, procrastination can be avoided if you really set your mind that you will definitely do it. It is just how to set your mind....that is what I'm thinking.
I am a researcher and I know there are many things that can procrastinate my research (surfing, pc and console games, and few others). But I set my mind, between 9.30 until 12 pm there is no surfing except research. Starting from very eask tasks and move toward hard tasks. But I must make sure that I follow that path from beginning.
But again, it is not an easy task -> set our mind

Delbi

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Joker
If you are in college, make spaces between your classes when schedualing and go to the library in between classes to get work done. I find this helps out a lot because you are already in "work" mode because you just got out of class and can thus concentrate and get stuff done. If you get your work done, they you won't have to procrastinate in doing it:tem

Also, I find it helpful to listen to music while writing something like a paper as it helps me concentrate. I like rock, so I blast that and somehow I am able to concentrate.

Doragon

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll answer that question later.

bean

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll answer that question later.
win answer.

truth is, you can't combat procrastination...it's like fighting jealousy or terrorism. Actually, it's like trying to beat up vin diesel, you just can't. Just accept it, and wait for those sweet last minutes when you're scrambling.