If you love a trashy thing, then it's really a treasure. | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

If you love a trashy thing, then it's really a treasure.

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Norway
I haven't read ToG, but I've heard all kinds of praise for the series. Your fellow reviewer blackjack keeps highlighting it in his "one-line reviews", often as the best series of the week to mention one example. I was thinking of reading Shingeki no Kyojin next though. Haven't been in a manga mood in ages. Picking up new series is rarely something I do these past years.

Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (the books the HBO hit Game of Thrones is based on)? The arguable main character there pretty much fits your decription for "everyone being against him" and him having to really strive to accomplish things. I don't know where your "excess emotion bar" goes, almost all major events in the books are at least partly driven by emotion, but I rarely feel like there's "over-emotion" in it. It's much more the case in the tv series than the books.

Gats

The Green Knight
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
France
I haven't read ToG, but I've heard all kinds of praise for the series. Your fellow reviewer blackjack keeps highlighting it in his "one-line reviews", often as the best series of the week to mention one example. I was thinking of reading Shingeki no Kyojin next though. Haven't been in a manga mood in ages. Picking up new series is rarely something I do these past years.

Have you read A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin (the books the HBO hit Game of Thrones is based on)? The arguable main character there pretty much fits your decription for "everyone being against him" and him having to really strive to accomplish things. I don't know where your "excess emotion bar" goes, almost all major events in the books are at least partly driven by emotion, but I rarely feel like there's "over-emotion" in it. It's much more the case in the tv series than the books.
Do it dude, no, Bro. You won't regret the reading, really.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
In addition of his insanity issues, he had to deal with countless plots against him by the people/kingdoms he basically is trying to unite and save. So I would say he handled quite well his amount of suffering until now.

And yeah Mat FTW. Perrin has become also very enjoyable quite lately. Did you read the first chapter of the incoming book ? :wtf

Considering the huge place women are taking in this serie, who is your favorite one ?
Rand kinda gets a pass because he's inanse but generally speaking I just don't like it when the going gets tough and the protagonist breaks down. That's just not the kind of main character I like to read about.

I like both Matt and Perrin. My favorite female character is Brigette pretty easily but I like quite a few of the others too, like Perrin's wife I forget her name.

What I don't like about the wheel of time is the Aes Sendai in general. They are just so arrogant and condescending. I feel like Jordan was going for a lot of strong female characters and they came out twisted somehow and not the awesome Androssi or Azula kind of twisted.

I've read both.

To be honest, I'm not a Shingeki no Kyojin fan. It's "ok" but I haven't been at all impressed with the characters. They haven't struck me as believable, relateable, or all that interesting. Though there definitely are other schools of thought.:p

Tower of God is just unbelievable though. I was reluctant to get into it at first because I was afraid it would be "weird", I guess. The whole "Tower" thing just was not something I was interested in but then I started reading and... my god. It goes from good to great to wonderful in 30 chapters and gets better from there.

That's a point of contention between my friends and me actually. I've read only the first book and did not enjoy it; which, I'm told, is a form of sacrilege.:darn

The reason being that I am such a character oriented reader. I want an author to give me characters that I can like, grow to care about, and really feel an emotional connection to. The Game of Thrones had a wide cast of characters none of whom I really liked; for me that's a deal breaker. I'd rather have one character to invest in than 8 character I don't care about. I run into this problem a lot when reading epic fantasy.

Last edited:

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So could you tell me how did you find Gintama for the first time? It seems that you're a huge Gintama fan since a long time ago.

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Currently on my shelf are Borderlands 1, Borderlands 2, Red Dead Redemption, Dragons Dogma, Rune Factory Tides of Destiny, The Uncharted Games, and Disgaea 4
Thinking about getting Black Ops 2?

Because it's the kinda thing that once made Naruto special. It's not an overpowering technique but used at the right moment, by the right shinobi, it's a game changer. If you think about it, theoretically it should pwn Susannoo.
True. Is it your favorite, design-wise?

No sir, their is a strict code that applies to gym locker rooms; Eyes front and no touching. (The same code applies to mens bathrooms)
Would you like to touch those men?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
So could you tell me how did you find Gintama for the first time? It seems that you're a huge Gintama fan since a long time ago.
I started watching the anime completely randomly and I'm not exactly sure when that was.

Ironically, I didn't like it a first. I watched the first 10 episodes or so and kinda just pushed it aside. Later on, I got pretty bored and was really looking for something to watch so I gave it another try. By then I was a exposed enough to Japanese culture to get the jokes and enjoyed it a lot more and then I hit the Benizakura arc..and that was that..

Now I'm just blown away every week. It can go from making you howl with laughter and making you want to cry in a split second; sometimes both at the same time. I can't ever get enough.:pleased

Thinking about getting Black Ops 2?
Not at the moment I have quite a few PC games I want to play, on top of there rapid fire borderlands expansions that keep getting released.:zomg

True. Is it your favorite, design-wise?
It is. I've always liked Jiriaya's skills in general but swamp of the underworld is the technique that if it was in an RPG I would use all the time.

Like the grease spell in Dragon Age. Or the bramble spell in Baldurs gate.

Would you like to touch those men?
Too vague. Give me hypothetical situation and I'll give you a hypothetical answer.:amuse

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
would you like to touch those men if it weren't disallowed?

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Do you read Beelzebub?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
... Why? :oh

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Black Dragon Pearls. It's like drinking liquid silk but smoother.

In more general terms I like black teas. Green's always seem a bit grassy for my tastes.
The only tee I had like that was a green tea at a friend's house a while back and it wasn't as bad I thought it'd be. Not particularly a fan of green teas, normally stick to my English Breakfast or Earl Grey from time to time when I do have tea.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Why do I like Furuichi or why do I like Beelzebub?

The only tee I had like that was a green tea at a friend's house a while back and it wasn't as bad I thought it'd be. Not particularly a fan of green teas, normally stick to my English Breakfast or Earl Grey from time to time when I do have tea.
Green tea is funny in how different it is from black teas. Which is what Earl Grey and English Breakfast are.

I think they are ok if you get the steep time just right but over steeping, even a little, results in something pretty hard to drink. There is a popular Japanese tea Gyokuro and, man, the slightest mistake on water temperature or steep time and it becomes absolutely horrendous.

Nii

First Shield
Reaction score
Country
Germany
The short answer would be Tower of God.

But a more complete answer would be that...

Tower of God is such a brilliantly written character driven story. You have all these characters who are nothing alike and the way the author brings all of that together with amazing dialogue and characterizations throughout the course of climbing the tower makes it hard to beat. Measuring chapter per chapter it's hands down the best story I've read. It's done more in 117 chapters than most series ever manage.
I love you :hurr

Tower of God would really deserve more popularity here

I'd love it if it did. I have nothing against Casca but..

GutsXCasca = :errr
GutsXFarnese = :hurr

I mean, I got nothing but pity for the character but she's been a fruit loop since before I started reading manga so there just isn't any emotional connection there for me.
To be honest I never was much of a Farnese fan, to me she's rather bland and I can't say that I've felt much for her besides feeling sorry because she was so "pathetic" at the start. Granted it got a lot better but for some reason I just bring myself to like her =/

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love you :hurr

Tower of God would really deserve more popularity here
Tower of God deserves to be more popular everywhere.

It always annoys me a little when I see series go to "shades of grey" morality and then make everybody the same shade, like Naruto does. If you do that what was the point? With Tower of God they are so many individuals, for better and worse. Androssi's gentle cruelty. Anak's simple forcefulness. Rak...being Rak.:nod

To be honest I never was much of a Farnese fan, to me she's rather bland and I can't say that I've felt much for her besides feeling sorry because she was so "pathetic" at the start. Granted it got a lot better but for some reason I just bring myself to like her =/
Perfectly understandable, she is "normal" compared to everyone else there is no doubt about that.

The best explanation of why I like her so much would be that she's so far away from the world she's become accustomed to and so different from the person she once was. She's really carved out an entirely new life. That evolution of her character is the kind of thing I just eat up.

I hate her bob haircut though. Symoblic statements be damned! Long hair FTW!!!:yelling

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Why does seeing Furuichi be tortured bring you joy?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
By the way, some other series I'm really high on right now are, besides the obvious,...

• Nisekoi
    I'm in love with how expressive all the characters are.
  • Magician
    Be warned when I say it's paced slowly. I mean, "slug crossing Antarctica" slow but if you can deal with that it really is a wonderful story with some surprising twists.
  • Ubel Blatt
    A must read for all seinen fans, I think. A lot of people are turned off by the first chapter but don't be, after about 4 chapters you'll be hooked.
  • The World God Only Knows
    Comedy about a gal game obsessed otaku is forced, by demons, to woo various girls in order to save them. The main character reminds me of Lelouch from Code Geass, nuff said..
  • The Breaker: New Waves
    Falls under the category of "Manhwa I think everyone should be reading". Perhaps not as special as Tower of God or Noblesse but it's not far behind. The only downside is that in order to really enjoy it to the fullest you need to read The Breaker. Which is good but not nearly as good as New Waves in my opinion.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Why does seeing Furuichi be tortured bring you joy?
Because it makes him the perfect "crooked straight" man.

When Oga does something insane you need somebody to like "WTF!!!!" and that's Furuichi. While beautiful girlsl swoon over Oga, Furuichi cries tears of blood as a misunderstanding labels him a lolicon. It's kind-of the same thing Shinpatchi does for Gintama but he's downright lucky compared to Furuichi. How could I not love that?

Last edited:

M3J

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Ubel Blatt does get boring midway though. BUt it picked back up.

YOU'RE STILL EVIL :gwah

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Baam x Androssi or Baam x Yuri?

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Baam x Androssi or Baam x Yuri?
Androssi, not even a millisecond of hesitation.

Yuri's great and all but she's not Androssi.

Who's your pick?