Semifinal - Jellal Fernandes vs Laxus Dreyar | Page 16 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Jellal Fernandes vs Laxus Dreyar

Which fighter advances?

• Jellal Fernandes

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • Laxus Dreyar

Votes: 36 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Except I don't see Laxus being downplayed or denied durability feats. It's the other way around. Many are not taking into consideration that Jellal could fight DF Natsu while being injured, soloing the Oración Seis single handedly, being able to fight Jura as equals (arguably could've won without much difficulty), and one-shotting a Spriggan while tanking attacks from him like it was nothing. The only baseless argument I see here is that Laxus muscles gives him better physicality.

Sure, Laxus is a victim of plot, but he gets a plot armor to help him get back on track. Meanwhile, Gildarts and Jellal are lacking feats and are barely relevant to the plot itself...
Jellal wouldn't have beaten Jura without much difficulty. He didn't do anything to Jura in that fight, other than attack and be blocked. Jellal opted to go straight to Sema, probably because nothing else was working.

Laxus has better physical feats, Idk how the muscles help, he's bulkier than Acno and is nowhere near as tough.

Gildarts got offered the same plot armour as Laxus, as Erza defeated Azuma who went CiS/PiS by letting Erza have a shot. Laxus got some lightning to get him out of his sickness temporarily.

That's not much to ask actually. Jellal's Flame of Rebuke alone would rival Wahl's Etherion. Now take a higher level spell like Grand Chariot. And even higher like Sema. This is me being lenient and not adding in hyped attacks like Abyss Break or Altaris. Doing this while Laxus is fighting back isn't that hard. Jellal isn't just standing there for Laxus to hit him. Laxus will have his hands full by Jellal fighting back as well. Besides, Laxus' Jutsu Shiki is useless here due to the amount of time it takes to write the runes. Jellal can cast Grand Chariot in less than a panel while also using two attacks at the same time (Meteor + Grand Chariot).

Red Lightning would only defeat Jellal if you rate his durability low which has not been shown or indicated in the manga.
Flame of Rebuke equals Jellal's MP, which is equivalent to a few chunks of Etherion. Wahl's MP is leagues above ToH/OS Jellal in MP. It's not close. Wahl's etherion cannon is featless, so I wouldn't bother trying to compare Wahl's etherion cannon to Jellal's attacks. Moreover, casting something like GC/Sema doesn't use up all of Jellal's MP either, and thus it doesn't make sense to compare the power in Flames of Rebuke to the power in Sema/GC. FoR > Sema > GC; logically.

Yea that's right, Jellal isn't going to stand there. He's going to be receiving blows just as he's giving them. Laxus' Justu Shiki would cancel Sema, given the prep time. It didn't really take Laxus all that long, it even surprised Wahl. Laxus could evade GC with about the same reaction time he used for Wahl's bullets; while forming a lightning bolt as a counter immediately after. Depends on when Jellal decides to use GC.

Wahls' durability isn't low. His physical feats are at least equal to Jellal's.

Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water didn't work on Jura only because he can redirect his magic attacks. Something Laxus can't do or Gajeel wouldn't have taken the hit for Natsu back in the Battle of Fairy Tail Arc because Laxus would just "redirect" it to hit Natsu again. Considering that magic actually blocked an attack from a mage like Jura, I can see it reflecting Laxus' attack because as we saw, Jellal massively improved. It was to the point that the atmosphere totally changed just because of him increasing his MP and getting angrier.
Yes I agree on Mirror water - but how strong is Jura's Rock snake? The feat of Mirror water is to redirect that level of attack, which I don't think covers some of Laxus' offence.

More importantly, Mirror Water is a magic derived from the staves Mystogan used. Unless Jellal is walking around with them, then Idk if he will be using Mirror water at all.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Fair points, I never really thought how convenient Tenrou was for Gildarts, I mainly focused on the Erza shenanigans. That being said, at least Gildarts wasn't having his insides destroyed while fighting Bluenote and I do question how much trouble Gildarts was having considering he one-shotted him after.
Well had Tenrou not fell down there wouldn't need to be any convenience for Gildarts either :)

It's true that Laxus enduring anti-magic attacks might come across as extreme. It's quite possible that other tough characters can live through that, but also being a dragon slayer helps a little I guess (ingesting things is something they can cope with better).

I think it would make more sense if the MBP's were gone now, by the sounds of it they steal your MP and then life and that's it, they don't really need to stick around for long, maybe they have a time limit?
I hope they're gone, I really don't want to see them again. I don't know the complete mechanism of MBP's, other than they cancel or eat ethernano, so they're a poison to mages. Laxus was coughing up blood from them, so it does organ/tissue damage over time. I think Laxus was having fits here and there. I believe his body just can't handle it at times, rather than the MBP's turning on and off.

Thanks and no problem, I'm pretty sure that Jellal or Laxus will win the tournament so I'm not too bothered about who wins this.
I like Laxus more than Jellal (I like Jellal too) so I was a little upset they had to battle but the same would apply for the other 2 left in the comp.

Am Shegar

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Laxus MBP was nullified IMHO that means they gone for good (to have Laxus ill alll the time is bad thing so I hope he was healed). Despite I voted for Jellal due to more spells like self-destruction and experience (he was not frosen in time for 7 years and instead was fighting dark guilds all the time) I must admit that Laxus will be stronger(full health) this time. This means we do not know limits of full health (full power) Laxus yet. Both Laxus and Jellal need fair fight to show all they got.

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
Laxus MBP was nullified IMHO that means they gone for good (to have Laxus ill alll the time is bad thing so I hope he was healed). Despite I voted for Jellal due to more spells like self-destruction and experience (he was not frosen in time for 7 years and instead was fighting dark guilds all the time) I must admit that Laxus will be stronger(full health) this time. This means we do not know limits of full health (full power) Laxus yet. Both Laxus and Jellal need fair fight to show all they got.
I want them to tag team August tbh. I can't decide who to vote for, it's basically "a pick your preference" match for me as they're neck at neck IMO.

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
this tournament should have been started after Alvarez arc. there are some characters that are basically featless. I'm going with Laxus in this one.

Coné

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Though Laxus has slightly better durability and is stronger in close-quarters combat, Jellal is faster and he can take this fight if he starts going long range.
this tournament should have been started after Alvarez arc. there are some characters that are basically featless. I'm going with Laxus in this one.
Jellal isn't featless. He's already proved to be faster than Laxus in the GMGs (Laxus hasn't shown any new speed feats) and he one-shotted Neinhart.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
Jellal isn't featless. He's already proved to be faster than Laxus in the GMGs (Laxus hasn't shown any new speed feats) and he one-shotted Neinhart.
as we said, no feats prior Alvarez arc nor he was that much faster than him during GMG. Jellal didn't show any speed feats in this arc. no use of ranged attacks if he will be nuked immediately. Laxus beating Wahl is far more impressive than Jellal beating Neinhart.

I think I will let you guys to discuss this. I'm kinda done here. nice discussion guys.

Last edited:

Coné

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
as we said, no feats prior Alvarez arc nor he was that faster than him during GMG. Jellal didn't show any speed feats in this arc. no use of ranged attacks if he will be nuked immediately.
When Jellal fought with Jura, Jura couldn't react to Meteor on two different instances, but when Jura fought with Laxus, Jura always kept up with Laxus. And in Tartaros, Jellal outsped all of Oracion Seis' members at the same time. Again, Laxus has no new speed feats that prove he's gotten any faster.
Laxus can't deal with Meteor. Even if Jellal does take it in the close range, he'll manage to outspeed Laxus and get more hits than Laxus. Though the nuke is big, Ajeel stated he would have tanked it, and Jellal has better durability feats than Ajeel as he managed to take Neinhart's magic blast and then keep fighting (you may say he drowned, but he just fell in the water in a damaged state; once he got back up, he one-shotted Neinhart).
Whether Jellal takes this fight in close range or long range, he'll manage to outplay Laxus. As he gets more hits on Laxus than Laxus gets on him, he'll eventualy get Laxus in a very damaged state and get an opening to cast Grand Chariot or Sema.

Plus, Jellal has always had better portrayal than Laxus. Jellal was WS level since the first chapter, with half of his power. Where was Laxus then? Portrayed as one of the strongest in the guild. Against Natsu, Jellal was mid diffing base Natsu and he actually managed to tank two hits from DF Natsu and keep fighting, but Laxus lost against base Natsu with some support from Gajeel. Against Jura, Jellal managed to make Jura shit his pants, while Laxus almost lost against him. In Tartaros, Jellal soloed one of the main dark guilds by himself, Laxus defeated Tempesta and was down for the rest of the arc. On the current arc, Laxus defeated a Spriggan in an extreme-diff fight, Jellal one-shotted another one.

Last edited:

Static

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
India
Ok so after literally rereading through the entire thread I came up with my conclusion - Jellal takes this very extreme difficulty. Both have the same skill set, similar feats, stats etc but Jellal has displayed slightly more strategy and speed in combat and has ridiculously high attack power which will be the deciding factor in this battle. And many here are saying his durability is terrible although it isn't (though I do agree Laxus has much greater overall toughness). However he won't go unscathed from this battle either. Both Laxus and Jellal have strengths and weaknesses in this fight.

Also, like @Orgastthemage stated, luck will also come into play but we can't really implement that on paper.

Jean Grey

Reaction score
Country
Croatia
ok this my final post.

first of all, Jellal literally has no durability feats nor he has higher that Ajeel. he only has that one from Neinhart. its up to debate if he was KO'ed or not but that was his only durability thing that he had.

second, I never said that Ajeel would have died. Ajeel said that he wouldn't die which doesn't mean he wouldn't be either injured or KO'ed. August statement also goes against Ajeel and Ajeel is cocky as hell.

and third Jellal is probably slightly faster than Laxus but that is not really noticeable. Laxus can react to him. his nuke will prevent Jellal from using GC or Sema or Meteor or any other spell which needs cast time. this will let Laxus to get close in range while Jellal is recovering and Laxus will use Roaring Thunder and Jellal is done.

Laxus takes this.

Last edited:

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When Jellal fought with Jura, Jura couldn't react to Meteor on two different instances, but when Jura fought with Laxus, Jura always kept up with Laxus. And in Tartaros, Jellal outsped all of Oracion Seis' members at the same time. Again, Laxus has no new speed feats that prove he's gotten any faster.
Laxus can't deal with Meteor. Even if Jellal does take it in the close range, he'll manage to outspeed Laxus and get more hits than Laxus. Though the nuke is big, Ajeel stated he would have tanked it, and Jellal has better durability feats than Ajeel as he managed to take Neinhart's magic blast and then keep fighting (you may say he drowned, but he just fell in the water in a damaged state; once he got back up, he one-shotted Neinhart).
Whether Jellal takes this fight in close range or long range, he'll manage to outplay Laxus. As he gets more hits on Laxus than Laxus gets on him, he'll eventualy get Laxus in a very damaged state and get an opening to cast Grand Chariot or Sema.

Plus, Jellal has always had better portrayal than Laxus. Jellal was WS level since the first chapter, with half of his power. Where was Laxus then? Portrayed as one of the strongest in the guild. Against Natsu, Jellal was mid diffing base Natsu and he actually managed to tank two hits from DF Natsu and keep fighting, but Laxus lost against base Natsu with some support from Gajeel. Against Jura, Jellal managed to make Jura shit his pants, while Laxus almost lost against him. In Tartaros, Jellal soloed one of the main dark guilds by himself, Laxus defeated Tempesta and was down for the rest of the arc. On the current arc, Laxus defeated a Spriggan in an extreme-diff fight, Jellal one-shotted another one.
The Jura comparison is unfair because Jellal never headed straight for Jura in an attempt to engage in CQC, he went around Jura while Laxus charged straight at him, meteor is also being overrated here because Jura was able to hit Jellal using flying rocks while he was in that form, if Jura's flying rocks can hit Jellal while he's in meteor, than a casual Laxus nuke which completely outspeeds Jura's flying rocks as it is almost instantaneous and is x10 more devastating most certainly can hit him. If Laxus' nuke is considered stroger than Neinhart's blast (which I'm pretty sure everyone knows it is) then Jellal is in huge trouble, I'm not saying it would one-shot him, I'm saying it would most certainly cripple him.

You also said Laxus doesn't have new speed feats, which is wrong, he completely blitzed a member of the spriggan 12, that's more impressive than outspeeding the OS not to mention he was doing this while dying from MBP, he also has one of the best reaction and precision feats in the manga when he completely dissolved the bullets fired by Wahl in mid air faaar before they reached him. We were literally shown the bullets move in slow motion as Laxus destoryed them using electricity, so I'm pretty damn sure he can react to meteor, so if Jellal even attempts to go in for CQC he loses. The only other option is ranged attacks and even then Laxus has faster and more instantaneous ranged attacks than Jellal. All of Jellal's ranged attacks require cast time, while Laxus' don't, if you think Laxus is just going to be a sitting duck while Jellal blitzes him using meteor than you're wrong. I don't really care about dark guilds being soloed by Jellal and his team, I'm not taking potrayal and assumptions into this battle, just the facts.

Laxus' durability isn't slightly better, it's far better and Jellal didn't continue fighting after Neinharts blast, he had been knocked out by it, sure he would have been able to avoid it had it not been for Kagura, but he was hit by it and he was out. Ajeel saying that he would have tanked it doesn't necessarily mean that he would have, no one can be sure.

Coné

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
So you kinda ignored my speed argument and my portrayal argument and just kinda went with your take again. Dem great debating skillz lmao
The Jura comparison is unfair because Jellal never headed straight for Jura in an attempt to engage in CQC, he went around Jura while Laxus charged straight at him, meteor is also being overrated here because Jura was able to hit Jellal using flying rocks while he was in that form, if Jura's flying rocks can hit Jellal while he's in meteor, than a casual Laxus nuke which completely outspeeds Jura's flying rocks as it is almost instantaneous and is x10 more devastating most certainly can hit him. If Laxus' nuke is considered stroger than Neinhart's blast (which I'm pretty sure everyone knows it is)

You also said Laxus doesn't have new speed feats, which is wrong, he completely blitzed a member of the spriggan 12, that's more impressive than outspeeding the OS not to mention he was doing this while dying from MBP, he also has one of the best reaction and precision feats in the manga when he completely dissolved the bullets fired by Wahl in mid air faaar before they reached him. We were literally shown the bullets move in slow motion as Laxus destoryed them using electricity, so I'm pretty damn sure he can react to metero, so if Jellal even attempts to go in for CQC he loses. The only other option is ranged attacks and even then Laxus has faster and more instantaneous ranged attacks than Jellal. All of Jellal's ranged attacks require cast time, while Laxus' don't, if you think Laxus is just going to be a sitting duck while Jellal blitzes him using meteor than you're wrong. I don't really care about dark guilds being soloed by Jellal and his team, I'm not taking potrayal and assumptions into this battle, just the facts.

Laxus' durability isn't slightly better, it's far better and Jellal didn't continue fighting after Neinharts blast, he had been knocked out by it, sure he would have been able to avoid it had it not been for Kagura, but he was hit by it and he was out. Ajeel saying that he would have tanked it doesn't necessarily mean that he would have, no one can be sure.
I was already expecting this. I'll reply when I feel like it, but I feel like I've gone through this 100 times with you. "completely blitzed" - more like kept up with.
I'll tag Nova to see if he feels like it. Well, it's lunch time. @Cobra

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So you kinda ignored my speed argument and my portrayal argument and just kinda went with your take again. Dem great debating skillz lmao

I was already expecting this. I'll reply when I feel like it, but I feel like I've gone through this 100 times with you. "completely blitzed" - more like kept up with.
I'll tag Nova to see if he feels like it. Well, it's lunch time. @Cobra
Bruh....... I'm taking Jellal's speed into account, if you read my long ass post on page 2, you'll see that I actually have Jellal just ahead of Laxus in speed.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Though Laxus has slightly better durability and is stronger in close-quarters combat, Jellal is faster and he can take this fight if he starts going long range.
Then Jellal gets nuked? Laxus has range game. And can bridge the distance between them with his own speed, which isn't that far behind Jellal's.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
really healthy and good discussion here. I'm fine with whoever wins. I was so close to changing my vote to laxus but now i'm fully committing to Jellal. he outclassed racer's speed and he could predict/hear cobra's movement, evaded/defended angels attack and broke midnight's illusion. add the 1yr gap, and he's meteor must have gotten faster. he can predict laxus movement and i think he can break jutsu shiki. he's pretty knowledgeable about magic after all. he showed more knowledge than august so far. August couldn't even heal himself while zeref just casually healed himself after the fight with natsu.

Jura with the top 3 ws who is said to be far stronger than him couldn't take on a solo God Serena while Jellal soloed all Oracion Seis who Eileen said was gonna be trouble for bradman and larcade, so she sent her two underlings.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
really healthy and good discussion here. I'm fine with whoever wins. I was so close to changing my vote to laxus but now i'm fully committing to Jellal. he outclassed racer's speed and he could predict/hear cobra's movement, evaded/defended angels attack and broke midnight's illusion. add the 1yr gap, and he's meteor must have gotten faster. he can predict laxus movement and i think he can break jutsu shiki. he's pretty knowledgeable about magic after all. he showed more knowledge than august so far. August couldn't even heal himself while zeref just casually healed himself after the fight with natsu.

Jura with the top 3 ws who is said to be far stronger than him couldn't take on a solo God Serena while Jellal soloed all Oracion Seis who Eileen said was gonna be trouble for bradman and larcade, so she sent her two underlings.
To be fair about the Jura/God Serena thing, I think it's pretty clear that Serena is a high tier Spriggan considering he solo'd 4 (at least) Erza tier opponents and then stomped them with 3 spells after he was pushed.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
To be fair about the Jura/God Serena thing, I think it's pretty clear that Serena is a high tier Spriggan considering he solo'd 4 (at least) Erza tier opponents and then stomped them with 3 spells after he was pushed.
that's true... and he only got killed by acno aswell. but I still think it pretty lame that jura was close or on par with laxus during gmg and he had the top 3 ws whom ooba said are monsters compared to jura beaten by a solo spriggan. God Serena might have been a high tier spriggan but I don't see him winning against 2 spriggans(Ajeel was even looking down on him). Eileen was worried for bradman and larcade when saw/sensed the arrival of Oracion Seis.

Cosmicstar

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jellal high difficulty

Honestly it depends on the type of Jellal we are talking about. Jellal can use a lot of different types of Magic in which case would more than likely give him the edge. He has Mystagon's magic, Dark Magic, Projection, and Heavenly body Magic. Almost forgot self destruction Magic also.

As far as Durability goes I don't get where people got Laxus has better durability.

kira

Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Jellal high difficulty

Honestly it depends on the type of Jellal we are talking about. Jellal can use a lot of different types of Magic in which case would more than likely give him the edge. He has Mystagon's magic, Dark Magic, Projection, and Heavenly body Magic. Almost forgot self destruction Magic also.

As far as Durability goes I don't get where people got Laxus has better durability.
well laxus surviving and coming out as a victor against a spriggan when he had MBP was pretty impressive. Jellal got knocked out by an unnamed neinheart spell but I see only see that as a plot for him and kagura to reconcile. he showed no damage when he got back.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Then Jellal gets nuked? Laxus has range game. And can bridge the distance between them with his own speed, which isn't that far behind Jellal's.
Jura could hit Jella while he was in meteor with flying rocks if he can do that then somemone like Laxus who's attack is instantaneous and much faster than Jura's rocks can most cetainly hit Jellal while he's in meteor, Laxus' reaction speed and precision is unmatched after this...........

A lot of this argument is based on expectation and speculation, yes I also think his meteor has gotten faster but he hasn't displayed that yet, we need to use feats in our arguments instead of just assuming things. I'm not sure why you think he's more knowledgeable then the king of magic but whatever floats your boat, I'm not sure what that regeneration argument is meant to mean either, Eileen said that they could prove to be troublesome, she didn't say she was worried for Bradman and Larcade, not to mention you are comparing two different timelines, the OS a year ago were much weaker than they are now, if they haven't improved then Eileen most certainly wouldn't view them as a threat. We have clearly seen that some Spriggan's are far stronger than others, I think without a shadow of a doubt that God Serena outclasses Wahl, Dimaria, Bradman, Neinhart, Brandish, Jacob and Ajeel. He is one of the strongest ones, I doubt that Gajeel or Laxus would be able to solo the GOI.
If you think Jellal is your choice then that's fair enough, they're both top tier competitors and this is one of the most difficult fights for me.
Jellal high difficulty

I'll ask you the question then, what feats does Jellal have that say he has superior durability? What feats has he shown that even show he has comparable durability?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Jura could hit Jella while he was in meteor with flying rocks if he can do that then somemone like Laxus who's attack is instantaneous and much faster than Jura's rocks can most cetainly hit Jellal while he's in meteor, Laxus' reaction speed and precision is unmatched after this...........
Yea I think that is something Laxus can do to dodge nearly any ranged attack. The power of a lightning bolt he uses as a counter probably isn't too strong, though something similar stopped Sands of death.

That speed in the panel is probably faster than Meteor. Imo it goes Lightning transportation >= Meteor > Lightning coat (or whatever it is that he uses most of the time). I don't count Laxus' lightning speed that often, as he tends to use the lightning coat (so he can dish out his own attacks).

Status
Not open for further replies.