\m/ THE METAL THREAD!!! \m/ | Page 16 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

\m/ THE METAL THREAD!!! \m/

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Yep, Aka linked me to one of the song from the album and sounded good.

ZayCon

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Norway
I've liked metal for about seven years now, and In Flames has always been my favorite band! Unlike many fans of IF, I actually like both the old and the new stuff. Their new album "Sounds of a playground fading" will be out 15. June, and from what I've heard to now, it's gonna be amazingly good!

Akainu

Magma♥
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
Metallica just announced a coop with Lou Reed - any thoughts on that?
from the tiny bits I've just heard of the latter it could work... whatever "full length album" means in that context (oldies, new stuff, anyone?)

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Palestine
hmm....anything with Metallica sounds like insta-fail to me.

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
well, not being enthusiastic about each and every thing music related is one thing, having a generally bad attitude towards one is the other...

anyway, if it's anything like their performance for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 25th anniversary it's good enough for me - even though that specific part wasn't really metally, but as far as I understood it, it was mostlly Reed who wrote the songs and 'tallica gave a little influence and is playing them, so who knows which genre it will land in (fuck genres btw :P )

Akainu

Magma♥
Reaction score
Country
Bavaria
wondering... is this in your opinion too much Metal or no Metal at all?

Aazholh

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
If you like Judas Priest's British Steel then you'll dig just about every song on this little known classic:

Last edited by a moderator:

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
So what do you guys think about Alternative Metal? I've heard a few songs that are considered AltMetal and really liked them and so I wanted to know more about the genre. Problem is that I don't even know what the genre is and I've had a hard time figuring it out. Could anyone like explain it to me and point out the differences between it and other metal sub-genres? Any cool bands?

thornofcarrion

The Original
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
So what do you guys think about Alternative Metal? I've heard a few songs that are considered AltMetal and really liked them and so I wanted to know more about the genre. Problem is that I don't even know what the genre is and I've had a hard time figuring it out. Could anyone like explain it to me and point out the differences between it and other metal sub-genres? Any cool bands?
If you haven't seen this link, check it out. Personally speaking, I started with rock>heavy metal>death metal>doom & black metal. I never really got into or liked Alternative Metal. Back then, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Nirvana etc. were some popular names. Alice in Chains and Creed had some decent songs.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alternative metal is just terrible. The whole 90's was a breeding ground for bands that sounded the same. Just about every male singer in a modern rock band, to this day, has to sound like Eddie Vedder? Does the guitarists only have to know a few power chords?

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Looking at that article I only really saw two bands which I actually like, Deftones and Rage Against the Machine (I suppose Soundgarden as well).

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
As a happy symphonic metal fan, I've been obsessed over the previews for Epica's upcoming "Requiem for the Indifferent". Nightwish's album was also a big surprise, I really enjoyed it. Good sonisphere textures. Meanwhile, Epica is happily continuing their very quotable and anvilicious lyrics. Unfortunately, it's another whole month till their interesting songs are out, just their single is out right now.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
The closest thing I like to symphonic metal is Children of Bodom, if you can consider them symphonic which some would say are more of a black metal band. Shrim.

earthforge

MH's Most High Quality Poster
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah, don't think Children of Bodom is black, let alone symphonic or melodic. Dimmu Borgir is really great though, a decent melodic black metal. What about melodeath? Fond of Scar Symmetry and Dark Tranquility. And then there's the gods of prog, Dream Theater.

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only Dream Theater album that I got into was Images and Words. Good one though.

Crude

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I'm a huge fan of Rammstein. They're actually one of my main motivations in learning German :D. Their songs are awesome, the guys seem like awesome dudes (I'd love to hangout with them), and their concerts look epic!! My favourite album of theirs is Mutter which fans seem to agree is their best album. After Mutter I'd say Reise Reise is the best, then Sehnsucht, Herzeleid, Liebe ist für alle da, and finally Rosenrot (pretty meh except for four cool songs). It's funny how last year I went from someone who happened to like a few of their songs to a huge fan. They released a "best of" album in December along with a new single which was pretty awesome and had a hilarious video (even though I dislike the director's other videos for the band).

It was hard choosing a favourite song but I think this is probably it:

Pure awesomeness...

Aazholh

Reaction score
Country
United States

In Flames

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
I came across this thread from Arrogance's signature. :)

I'll just list a few of my favorite bands here, opinions are of course in bound.

In Flames is of course an all time favorite. While I love nearly all of their material except maybe a couple songs. I do prefer their earlier work compared to more recent albums. Back in January on the 15th I went to an In Flames show, Trivium was also an opener for them. That night was easily one of the best experiences I've had. I did also write a small bit about the concert then if anyone's interested, I can post that up as well.

Trivium is also a great favorite of mine. Trivium along with In Flames were the two bands who's songs inspired me to learn the guitar. I'm not really sure what it was about them but I just feel/felt compelled to learn their music.

Symphony X is actually a band I've only recently started listening to thanks to a friend. Some amazing vocals, song progressions and crazy guitar work.

Kamelot is also another band I've gotten into not long ago, but have quickly become among my favorites.

Dream Theater is simply one of the best progressive metal bands out their to date. Although with the departure of their previous drummer Mike Portnoy, I don't think the band is quite the same.

Hopefully this post isn't too much of a mess.

Totilas

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Nah, don't think Children of Bodom is black, let alone symphonic or melodic. Dimmu Borgir is really great though, a decent melodic black metal. What about melodeath? Fond of Scar Symmetry and Dark Tranquility. And then there's the gods of prog, Dream Theater.
Haha, Dimmu Borgir brings back memories :D I used to listen to their "Enthrone darkness triumphant" album all the time..

Do you listen to other black metal bands??

Even though I don't listen to it anymore, I still remember the intro or first number (called "the oath") on the Emperor album "Anthems to the welkin at dusk" and Burzum's "Dunkelheit" from the "Filosefem" album being some of the favorites at that time :D

And even though I don't listen to metal much anymore, I still love Pantera's "Great southern trendkill" album and R.A.T.M.