Voting Round 4 - Naruto vs. Gintama | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 4 Naruto vs. Gintama

Who wins?

• Naruto

• Gintama

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
To the tell the truth if Naruto can defeat Tokyo Ghoul and Berserk there is no reason why it can't beat Gintama.Even though I voted for Gintama,the nostalgia for Naruto is too Stonk and the number of fans of it.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
To the tell the truth if Naruto can defeat Tokyo Ghoul and Berserk there is no reason why it can't beat Gintama.Even though I voted for Gintama,the nostalgia for Naruto is too Stonk and the number of fans of it.
I too get nostalgia from bad series that I thought were awesome when I was younger. (Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, Dragonball, Inuyasha, etc).

That shouldn't stop people for voting actual good series like Gintama.

Reebi

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Voting Naruto here. Nostalgia plus @Emperor Spriggan 's surprisingly appealing campaigning from previous rounds is enough to get my vote.
Nostalgia = Terrible memories that have been erased and replaced with non existent good ones
Thank you to all who voted Naruto!! I can't say this enough, but your support has really been heart warming in this event:zomg

Now, @Gryffindor, what's the best way to deal with you? :heh

Oh, I know what I'll do :3c Let's get to the good stuff then now shall we? :hip

Story Arcs
Aside from the characters who I touched in the first round, one other thing that jumps out to you the moment you read a new manga are the sagas in it. What we'd defined as a contained piece of the plot, divided into several segments all throughout the series's run. And the story pieces you reread/rewatch in the event you don't feel like reading the entire thing from scratch. One of the most commonly asked questions you ask a fan you meet of the same series as you is:

Which is your favorite story arc?

The Chuunin Exams Arc

Noteable Participants
Konoha: Uzumaki Naruto, Nara Shikamaru, Sasuke Uchiha, Hyuuga Neji, Rock Lee, Mitarashi Anko
Sunagakure: Gaara, Temari, Kankuro
Otogakure: Orochimaru, Kabuto Yakushi

My favorite arcs in manga, or fiction in general tend to be tournament based arcs (In Harry Potter my favorite book is Goblet of Fire solely due to the Triwizard Tournament). Seriously, throw in a tournament, new characters, and I'd pretty much fall in love with you anytime:blush Likewise with Naruto, the Chuunin Exams Arc is my favorite arc in Part 1 (Tied with another arc actually, but I'll get to that later;)).
What's not to love about this arc? It has some of the best moments in Naruto, hands fucking down. Even with everything that came later on in Shippiudden, this arc still managed to remain one of the best.

Synopsis
Having just shown up from the Land of Waves after their first mission, Naruto and his team find themselves suddenly caught up in an annual event in the village. An exam tournament, where all the Genin of the village get the chance to become Chuunin, the next step in becoming a full fledged shinobi. Of course, you'd think this will be like any run of the mill exam, but, think again. From the Land of Sound, Orochimaru plans on making his move in order to aim for Sasuke's body, after earlier failing to capture Itachi's body for his own nefarious purposes. From the Land of Wind, Gaara, the One Tailed Jinchuuriki, who is also a participant in the exams, is a ruthless cold blooded killer who will stop at nothing to validate his own existence. And from Konoha itself, one of the participants, Hyuuga Neji, has bad blood between the main branch and his own house. With INCREDIBLE new abilities, brilliant fights, and also amazing emotional moments, this arc provides some of the best shonen moments in history, period.

The Sasuke Retrieval Arc

Participants

Konohagakure: Uzumaki Naruto, Hyuuga Neji, Nara Shikamaru, Rock Lee, Inuzuka Kiba, Akimichi Chouji
Otogakure: The Sound Four

This....fucking...arc :wtf:wtf:wtf
I can't decide which arc I like between this one and the Chuunin Exams Arc more. Seriously, they're both THAT good,

Synopsis
But this arc.....I've rewatched it 3 times already. My second favorite arcs in general in fiction tend to be arcs revolving around a rescue mission of sorts, or simple infiltration(My favorite arc in One Piece to date is the Impel Down arc for this exact reason). The Sasuke Retrieval Arc is this arc in a nutshell. One of the appeals in this arc is in the fact that characters who were previously at each other's throats, have to work together in order to retrieve a rogue Uchiha Sasuke,who had finally given in to the desire for power he had received from Orochimaru in the Chuunin Exams Arc.The result?
We get some of the best, absolutely spine chilling battles in this story, rivalling even those of the Chuunin Exams, now, keep in mind that these opponents (The Sound Four) are all Jounin level, while Naruto and his team are all Genin and Chuunin level. High stakes battle or what? ;)
And to make things even juicier? These guys join in the fun :datass:

How fucking awesome is that? Yesterday's enemies are really today's friends :blush The pay off too, we get what is quite possibly the best fight in Part 1 of the series
:

Bonus (For You @Jammin :hurr):
:waah:waah
These 2 are my favorite arcs in Part 1 Naruto, so I figured why not fanboy over them a little :gaw
I'll make more posts later on, stay tuned :zomg

I can't read half of this as I am in Ultraviolet mode :p

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I too get nostalgia from bad series that I thought were awesome when I was younger. (Vampire Knight, Fruits Basket, Dragonball, Inuyasha, etc).

That shouldn't stop people for voting actual good series like Gintama.
If they didn't care for nostalgia then Naruto wouldn't have passed Tokyo Ghoul in the first place.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
Trying to trigger me :cop

No you can't.
I hate TG for one simple reason: It makes searching for male turned into female art harder on DA.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
I hate TG for one simple reason: It makes searching for male turned into female art harder on DA.
???

But anyway it's not TG thread let's not go off-topic.

Better if we take this to Hangout thread.

Gryffindor

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

Bonds of trust built on a firm relationship

The relationships between characters are an integral component of any story and something that Gintama performs so well, creating a myriad of relationships, each unique in their own way and each with their own unique purpose. There are too many to count, so in this post I'll focus on a select few.

The Fractured Relationship
Sakata Gintoki and Shinsuke Takasugi

Divided souls standing under the cherry blossoms is actually the perfect way to describe this relationship.

From fellow students:

*Gintoki and Takasugi are the two kids to the left, the one on the right is Katsura, who also shares a deep past with these two, but we'll save that for a later time.

To fighting side by side in a war:

To spilling each other's blood:

A relationship founded thanks to the actions of one man, coupled with events(that I will not spoil) which lead to the deterioration of a friendship. Why? No spoilers remember, but I'll just leave this here:

Bonus pic since I love the message this moment sends::pout

The Utmost Respect
In a previous post I mentioned how despite being a character always involved in comedic moments that may deter the reader from taking this character seriously, I also made the point that this character is one who commands the utmost respect, a man who has guided the Shinsengumi to its current glory, whilst paving a future for them.

The Shinsengumi(Main Trio)

I'll let the panels speak for themselves:

Having given these men something to dream for, these following panels display the bond of respect and appreciation these characters share:

The Family

Siblings who look out for each other.

One big happy family! And then...

A family that fights each other.

A father telling his children to stop.
The strained relationship this family has is built up throughout the series and provides and interesting dynamic regarding Kagura's love for her family by blood and her love for her new family(the Yorozuya). Keeping in mind that she isn't an earthling.
You're probably wondering what role the mother plays in this, well............no spoilers;).

Donuts

A late introduction in the series, but a really amazing relationship based off a young girl who loves donuts and a police officer who likes to describe himself as "elite". Never has bestowing a name on a child been so hilarious and emotionally gripping at the same time.

Royalty

The Shogun(Shigeshige) and his sister(Soyo). Simply a man burdened ruling the country, and his little sister. This one isn't as prominent as the others mentioned, but it's also a very beautiful relationship. A cup of sour tea that tells a big story.

Since this has gotten too long, I'll put off the others for a different post in a day or two. There are still more character relationships I want to talk about, maybe I'll even go into some romantic ones(maybe). Until then, thanks for reading!

Vote GINTAMA!

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This wasn't easy for me but I chose Naruto.
When Gintama shines, it shines brighter then almost any shonen manga, it's just the fact that it takes too long to get going sometimes which puts me off. The Shogun Assassination Arc was godly, the arcs after that just haven't been able to match it and the constant flaffing around is funny but can get irritating after time. Naruto gave us many good arcs before it went to the dogs, the Chunin Exams, Zabuza, Pain, The Kage Summit, Hidan & Kakuzu etc were all fantastic. It's easy to forget the incredible stories and word building Naruto had because of the 4th Great Ninja War :(

Anti Hero 3:16

Reaction score
Country
United States
Naruto uzumaki is crap as a MC. By far the most overrated MC of all time. Winning everything by a special technique known as talk no jutsu in which he brings opponents down by talking. But entire naruto series has very well constructed plot and great storyline and great villains. Sasuke as a rival is probably one of the best rivals there are. As for this matchup it is tough to decide, so I will go with naruto here.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Some Naruto pics to start your day;):

Hey show some itachi, sasuke and pain images too if you want to promote more.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
How many villains did commit suicide due to Naruto?

Luca Blight

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
Voted Gintama.

I thoroughly enjoyed pre-timeskip Naruto but Shippuuden was rather inconsistent, with a mediocre final arc that overstayed its welcome.

One area I think Naruto smashes Gintama in is the main antiheroes/villains. Kamui is meh, and emo boy Takasugi is even worse than Sasuke. Isaburo is awesome but not quite up there with Itachi, Nagato as he's not central enough to the story. Housen and Utsuro are pretty kickass but one lacks depth, and the other is under construction. Also Akatsuki >>> Tendoshu

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

@Emperor Spriggan it hurts me a lot, you re doing such a great job with your campaign that really it hurts to vote against you, you really deserve all the support and to make it considering all your commitment and this genuine campaign you re making despite Naruto being constantly bashed. :pout

I like a lot Naruto, theres a part of nostalgia sure, but it has impacted me a lot too, I do dislike some stuff especially after pain arc, but still enjoyed it a lot. But I love gintama too, that doesnt mean i don't see its flaws, gintama has some flaws, some stuff that irriates me, plus i tend to think sometimes it's way too hyped (especially since last anime seasons ) its not an anime/manga within the grasp of everyone, its hard even for japanese audience, also many references are totally hard to understand for non-japanese readers/audience. I do think many people enjoy it bc its trendy more than for what it is. Sadly its not even a joke, I ve seen people starting watching gintama at episode 266 without watching/reading whats prior, not knowing the plot, the story, characters, and still writing reviews, doing videos about it, and commenting how great gintama was just because... well hypetrain, i guess :facepalm. Anyway i love gintama for its humor, for the parodies, for its society issues reflection, for its characters writing, for its non conformist aspects, for the references for a ton of stuff, and for elizabeth !!! :zomg but it doesnt prevent me from not not being sometimes bored (for instance im not a huge fan of the overuse toilet jokes , its just no funny at all for me, can't help it). Im sorry this time i can't vote against gintama, its one of my fave. Its a hard choice my apologies spriggran-kun, you have all my respects

:teehee

♥♥♥

Last edited:

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Story Arcs
Part 3

The Kage Summit Arc

Participants

Konohagakure: Uzumaki Naruto, Hatake Kakashi, Yamato, Haruno Sakura, Danzo Shimura
Kirigakure: Mei Terumi, Chojuro, Ao
Kumogakure: A, Bee, Cee, Darui, Omoi, Karui, Samui
Iwagakure: Onoki, Kurotsuchi, Akatsuchi
Akatsuki: Uchiha Sasuke, Karin, Jugo, Suigetsu, Tobi

My second favorite arc in Shippudden, we went from the Akatsuki hunting down Tailed Beasts to launching an attack on the leaders of the Five Great Nations, the Five Kage. This is what elevated their status from just S-Rank Missing Ninja in the bingo book to international criminals, something which had been building up since the beginning of the story.:hip We got introduced to the other Four Kage, plus shinobi from other villages, so in a way this is like a tournament arc as far as the world building goes ;)

Synopsis
After launching a full scale assault on the village, Pain fails to capture Naruto in the end, instead giving up his life to revive the villagers who he had killed during the attack. Of course, this doesn't mean everything is well and dandy. Tsunade, having used most of her chakra to protect the villagers from Pain's village leveling technique, falls into a coma, leaving the seat of Hokage open. Danzo finally sees this as his chance to rise to the top, assuming the position of Sixth Hokage. Sasuke's actions in the Hidden Cloud village earlier where he was involved in a mission to capture Killer Bee infuriate the Raikage, so he calls for a meeting of the Five Kage, along with sending Samui, Karui and Omoi to Konoha to meet with Danzo and inform him that the Cloud fully intends on disposing of Sasuke, since Konoha seems incapable of handling their own missing Ninja. Tobi, disappointed at Pain's failure to capture the Nine Tails, and Konan's defection, along with Sasuke's blunder in capturing the Eight Tails, decides to send Sasuke to the Land of Iron to eliminate Danzo, as per his initial objectives.

All the Kage arrive at the Land of Iron, where the summit is supposed to be held, owing to the neutrality of the place. The meeting room is paraded everywhere by Samurai, who are the natural guardians of the territory. All starts out really well, until a decision is reached that there should be an Allied Shinobi Forces made to counter the Akatsuki, who's crimes cannot be ignored. The leader of the Allied Shinobi Forces is decided to be Danzo, the interim Hokage of the Leaf, by Mifune, the presiding watcher of the meeting. Which is well and dandy, until...something goes wrong. Mifune is revealed not to be in control of his own actions, Danzo having placed him under his jutsu. But before any action can be taken, the Akatsuki launch a preemptive strike on the Summit, Zetsu revealing Sasuke's whereabouts in the building.
The pay off?

Naruto had his chance to shine against Pain in the earlier arc, so this was Sasuke's turn to shine in battle. I find Sasuke to be generally a more interesting fighter than Naruto, with a more diverse set of abilities, so imagine him going head to head against none other than the Five Kage :hip This was the best version of Sasuke to me, hands down. No fucks given about anyone else ,Kishimoto ventured out to write a villain and the results were wondrous. Plus this panel is just :zomg
Plus we had the reveal of how the Tailed Beasts came to be, along with Tobi declaring war on the Five Kage, which I would call a really solid set up into the next arc :verily This is the portion of the arc that has the best parts to me, since we also had this gem ;):

Plus this on the sideline:pleased:

The icing on top is also this fight, which is my second favorite in Part 2 of the story :wtf:wtf

All in all, a really well done fight. Izanagi is one of my favorite techniques in the series, and seeing Sasuke use all of his visual prowess to fight Danzo was really entertaining. I confess to rewatching this in the anime from time to time :p

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

@Emperor Spriggan it hurts me a lot, you re doing such a great job with your campaign that really it hurts to vote against you, you really deserve all the support and to make it considering all your commitment and this genuine campaign you re making despite Naruto being constantly bashed. :pout

I like a lot Naruto, theres a part of nostalgia sure, but it has impacted me a lot too, I do dislike some stuff especially after pain arc, but still enjoyed it a lot. But I love gintama too, that doesnt mean i don't see its flaws, gintama has some flaws, some stuff that irriates me, plus i tend to think sometimes it's way too hyped (especially since last anime seasons ) its not an anime/manga within the grasp of everyone, its hard even for japanese audience, also many references are totally hard to understand for non-japanese readers/audience. I do think many people enjoy it bc its trendy more than for what it is. Sadly its not even a joke, I ve seen people starting watching gintama at episode 266 without watching/reading whats prior, not knowing the plot, the story, characters, and still writing reviews, doing videos about it, and commenting how great gintama was just because... well hypetrain, i guess :facepalm. Anyway i love gintama for its humor, for the parodies, for its society issues reflection, for its characters writing, for its non conformist aspects, for the references for a ton of stuff, and for elizabeth !!! :zomg but it doesnt prevent me from not not being sometimes bored (for instance im not a huge fan of the overuse toilet jokes , its just no funny at all for me, can't help it). Im sorry this time i can't vote against gintama, its one of my fave. Its a hard choice my apologies spriggran-kun, you have all my respects
Hahaha its fine Erin ;)
No hard feelings, may the best one win this round :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.