Discussion - New Roles and New Rules Suggestion Thread | Page 63 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion New Roles and New Rules Suggestion Thread

GrySun

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Submissions for new roles need to follow the next format in order to be considered:

I. [Place Holder Name]

II. [Affiliation]

III. [Short Description]

IV. [Long Description/Idea/Premise/Scope]

V. [Priority/RoleType/Interactions/other Specifics]

I. Troublemaker

II.
Town

III. Can once per game make a Day phase lynch be the top 2 voted people instead of regular 1 top voted person. Every player has 2 votes but cannot vote the same player twice.

IV. PMs the host on the night before the day he wishes to use his power on. Host announces at start of day that the 2 top voted players will be lynched.
Everyone gets 2 votes that they can use on 2 individual players. Both can be moved once like usual. Example:
!votekill1 PlayerX
!votekill2 PlayerY
!votelock2
(locks on PlayerY).

Any other format is also fine as long as players specify who they are voting and if it's a new vote or they are changing their first one.

V. Doesn't have a Priority, happens at the end of night after all other actions. Doesn't target another player. Primary role.

Since it happens at the end of a phase, the player can be both blocked and killed to prevent it happening.

I. Psychiatrist

II. Townie

III. The Psychiatrist investigates one person per night phase to see if the player has a Secondary Role. They get a "Your target has a secondary role" if that is the case, and a "Your target does not have a secondary role" if it's not. The Psychiatrist does not find out the allegiance of the target.

IV. It's a counter for scum secondaries without outright revealing them, leaving room for guess work and player reading.

V. Priority 2, Primary Role.

Current roles Approved for testing here

Rules on including those in a game:
  • A host can take any of these roles and test them in their game. Depending on results from testing the role it will either be included into the Role list or need more changes/testing.
  • A host at the very least has to announce in the opening post of the game that new roles are being tested, or alternatively even more specifically reveal the roles that are being tested.
Link to the last update post with the roles that are either close to approval or were not approved: here.

Last edited by a moderator:

James Rye

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I prefer courtesan

:rolleyes:
Wouldn't a courtesan that poisons her customers lose customers real quick? Have you been watching Zombieland Saga 2nd season with Yugiri and her cool sword skills lately?^^

Anyway, seems like everyone's okay with the role description so that's good to hear. If Townie and Mafia got blocking roles so should Third Party as well. If the name needs to be changed to courtesan then so be it. Maybe Devious Courtesan to explain why she poisons her customers.

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
jokes james :lmao
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

juicy fruit became crack fruit thl

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
jokes james :lmao

juicy fruit became crack fruit thl
I was wondering why you were fine with an Opium Whore but draw the line at a Crack Whore. And what do you mean with juicy fruit became crack fruit thl? Did mango do something I haven't heard of yet?
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Well, it's Devious Courtesan now. Changed description to fit it better.

Lambu

Reaction score
Country
Spain
These roles...

The first batch of three are "ok", the rest not so much.

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
I was wondering why you were fine with an Opium Whore but draw the line at a Crack Whore.
I don't, I was being facetious :lmao

And what do you mean with juicy fruit became crack fruit thl?
You responded to her quote so I jokingly made her out to be the inspiration to your crack role

Did mango do something I haven't heard of yet?
She's always up to sth 😩

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Considering posting all 100 rejected roles so that people read those before suggesting...

For example, Huntsman and Berserker had similar suggestions already (Desperado and Werewolf respectively).

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
How much roles were actually up for discussing during ano time

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Considering posting all 100 rejected roles so that people read those before suggesting...

For example, Huntsman and Berserker had similar suggestions already (Desperado and Werewolf respectively).
But a night kill townie role is a niche that could increase the importance of the Mafia Doc role. Maybe it needs to earn the right to kill first before using it similar to how Apprentice changes its role only after two successful followings.

Hardy

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
But a night kill townie role is a niche that could increase the importance of the Mafia Doc role. Maybe it needs to earn the right to kill first before using it similar to how Apprentice changes its role only after two successful followings.
We discussed those points and voted against it as I just said.

How much roles were actually up for discussing during ano time
That one specifically was iirc. Most weren't even liked conceptually so went straight to the bin.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Granted, if people sent less roles there would be more space and willingness to discuss them.

Farfalla

The Witch of Drama
Reaction score
Country
Tuvalu
Hm... worth mentioning (maybe someone did it already and I missed it) that when a concept seems appealing to one or more evaluators but people dislike specific stuff, then we've been proposing versions of it during the validation process. So a version can be accepted (adjusting the original idea) or the concept as a whole just gets refused. There isn't really a point in submitting new versions of roles now.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
While I know that for example the Mafia Ghoul was rejected, I do believe that considering how popular the Necromancer is in the past games that it even made its way as a game mechanic, the Mafia also need their own version of a Necromancer. Given that Town got plenty of roles interacting with the dead or the bodies of the dead (Investigator, Mortician, Spirit Medium and now Necromancer) I think it is just fair to give Mafia some role to be able to slow down/prevent the dead being used against them. Like a Graverobber stealing bodies so they can't be used/investigated on or a Mafia Necromancer who hopes to get first dip on the dead before any of the other town roles to prevent them from finding out some good information to be used against Mafia. Maybe the Mafia Necromancer could be weakened as that he might be able to take dead town bodies but can only use the roles of dead mafia buddies or something like that. Which is why I brought back the Mafia Ghoul in this new format, ofc the name can be changed just like it just happened with the Third Party Blocker/Poisoner hybrid suggestion. I mean we got a Hider/Killer hybrid and from what I saw of its uses so far it wasn't a game breaking one and pretty enjoyable to both the owner as well as of its victims who were able to keep playing, none the wiser they had turned into an Illusion. I figured the Devious Courtesan could enter a similar role for our games but as a sole blocker leaving behind constant danger to dying to poison. Or crazy luck and surviving the poison status three nights in a row, lol.

I. Trapper

II. Third Party

III. At night the Trapper lays out a trap at a target of his choosing. That target will from now on be treated as if he was a PGO additionally to his regular role. Traps can also be defused by the bomb defuser Role. If the Trapper tries to add a 2nd trap to a target who's trap has yet to activate his action fails. The Trapper cannot be killed by his own traps.

IV. A 3rd party that doesn't kill directly and gives the bomb defuser another chance to shine. The idea is basically a mad trapper who no longer hunts animals but humans, maybe this can show in its name as Mad Trapper or Human Trapper. Not sure if the trap needs to be a secondary role similar to Illusion, aka the target being unaware he's a trap=PGO for others. Added the last two sentences to make sure people understand that if a trap has been activated that the trapper may use the same target again.

V. Priority 2, RoleType Antagonist, Interactions

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Here I had 3 role ideas but it‘ll be lost amongst the James horde.. :feelsbadman
Once Lambu and co went through their killing spree I'd be surprised to see one or two ideas left standing from my "horde", lol. What are your ideas, Gry? And what do you think of the Devious Courtesan (thanks for the name suggestion btw) or the (Mad/Human) Trapper? Any of those two, Blocker/Poisoner hybrid or PGO effect adder, got a chance to widen the small TP role group we got?

Copy Panda

Reaction score
Country
China
Here I had 3 role ideas but it‘ll be lost amongst the James horde.. :feelsbadman
Worry not, our resident truffle pig will sniff them out when review season comes around

But if you're worried about that sorta thing, post it on a new page so it remains at the top or sth

Evil3ye

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum

I. Mad Doctor

II. Third Party

III. Mad Doctor can "save" a person per night phase i.e. he will PM the host during the night phase and can request to protect a player. However, that player instead dies during the night phase. The Mad Doctor does not know about his role as he gets told to be a regular Doctor by the host, and appears as such upon investigations.

IV. This is a detective-immune serial killer role who starts out thinking to belong to the townies group. Only later in the game upon odds revealing that insanity becomes less likely realizing he belongs to third party, and starting acting as such.

V. Prio group 3 (prio 2 is also possible for a little further buff), appears as "Doctor" at M.Det. investigations or other reveals, can only win as TP

Last edited:

SonOfDaws

Reaction score
Country
Tartaros

I. Mad Doctor

II. Third Party

III. Mad Doctor can "save" a person per night phase i.e. he will PM the host during the night phase and can request to protect a player. However, that player instead dies during the night phase. The Mad Doctor does not know about his role as he gets told to be a regular Doctor by the host, and appears as such upon investigations.

IV. This is a detective-immune serial killer role who starts out thinking to belong to the townies group. Only later in the game upon odds revealing that insanity becomes less likely realizing he belongs to third party, and starting acting as such.

V. Prio group 3, appears as "Doctor" at M.Det. investigations or other reveals, can only win as TP

Ok, I'm interested.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I. Mafia Informant

II. Mafia

III. Each Night the Mafia Informant can ask if Role X is in the game. Host can deny or affirm in response.

IV. Works like Mafia Detective but cannot be blocked and unlike MD can ask the right questions to help Mafia buddies figure out what roles Town does not have so they have a better chance of claiming a believable role as a cover. Basically MD finds out what roles town got while MI finds out what roles are in the game or more importantly are not. This role is here since MD loses its usefulness after two/three nights with all towns revealing their roles, same might happen to MI but at least it can figure out two-three roles the mafia know nobody else got and which they can use as cover stories.

V. Since it can't be blocked, I guess it doesn't really matter what priority it has. Prio 2, I guess. Primary Role.
I really like the idea behind this role. How about a few modifications like making it ask only about primary roles and limiting the number of times it could be used, like say twice per game, so it would look like this (in this modified version it is blockable, but that can be up to debate):

I. Mafia Informant

II. Mafia

III. Each night, the M. Informant can ask the host in a PM whether (primary) Role X is present in the game or not. Host can deny or affirm in response. After two successful usages, the M. Informant loses his ability (but can still kill). The M. Informant cannot be chosen for a kill the night he chooses to use his role.

IV. The M. Informant gives his Mafia team slightly more flexibility with choosing their fake claims. Example of a PM to the host:

"Is Detective in the game?"
  • If the action was successful: the host can answer "Yes" (in case Detective is in the game), or "No" (in case it isn't).
  • If the action was not successful (in case of a block, for instance) or if the role was (successfully) used twice already: the M. Informant receives nothing.

The M. Informant cannot know about sanities, so for instance if he asks about a role with sanity (say Insane Detective) and that role is in the game, then the host's "Yes" only applies to the 'Detective' role, not the sanity.
In case the M. Informant asks about the existence of a secondary role (by mistake), the host asks him to send in a primary role instead.

V. This is an antagonist+investigative role type, with Priority 2. As long as he asks, the Informant can know about the existence in the current game of any primary role, even roles such as Jesus, Sleeper, Miller and Death miller, and even if the role is hidden by the Janitor's ability. Here is the only interaction I can think of with other roles at the moment:
  • Mafia Pirate: The number of times they can use informant ability after a successful steal is: Twice if the ability was never used successfully by previous owner, once if it was used one successful time by previous owner, and zero times if it was used two successful times by previous owner.

Last edited:

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia

I. Burger Flipper

II. Third Party

III. The Burger Flipper can serve a Burger to a player of their choosing once per night, giving them food poisoning. The player targeted will die from the food poisoning in 1-3 days (random roll).

IV. Death is preventable through blocking the Flipper's action or by protecting the target on the night he gets the burger.

V. Priority group 3. Can only win as TP.

James Rye

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Small change to Trapper after talking to someone who made me realize a grave flaw in the role for the endgame:

I. Trapper

II. Third Party

III. At night the Trapper lays out a trap at a target of his choosing. That target will from now on be treated as if he was a PGO additionally to his regular role. Traps can also be defused by the bomb defuser Role. If the Trapper tries to add a 2nd trap to a target who's trap has yet to activated his action kills the target.

IV. A 3rd party that doesn't kill directly on first contact and gives the bomb defuser another chance to shine. The idea is basically a mad trapper who no longer hunts animals but humans. Not sure if the trap needs to be a secondary role similar to Illusion or if the hosts just put a * next to the name in their own check list to remember that the next action from someone on that name ends with a death. Changed the last part to give Trapper a chance to kill close to the endgame when most active roles/Mafia roles are gone.

V. Priority 2, RoleType Antagonist, Interactions

I. Mafia Shaman

II. Mafia

III. At night the Mafia Shaman may chose another player who will be under his ritual's watch. If the target dies in the same night phase or the next day phase, instead of being revealed, his role changes into a Wraith. A Mafia Shaman may hold two Wraiths at most. A Mafia Shaman can release a Wraith instead of choosing another player as a target for his ritual. If the Mafia Shaman dies, all Wraiths associated to said Shaman perish with him.

IV. I got this idea after our current little group of 3 Mafias lost two members in a single day. Unlike Mafia Ghoul/Necromancer the idea here was to "save votes" and not unused or good roles. How Wraiths work will be explained in the Wraith role suggestion.

V. Priority 3, Effect adding, Recruiting, RoleType Antagonist,

I. Shaman

II. Townie

III. At night the Shaman may chose another player who will be under his ritual's watch. If the target dies in the same night phase or the next day phase, instead of his old role being revealed, his role changes into a Wraith. A Shaman may hold two Wraiths at most. A Shaman can release a Wraith instead of choosing another player as a target for his ritual. If the Shaman dies, all Wraiths associated to said shaman perish with him.

IV. Townie Version, same idea of saving votes but ofc in towns favor. Or so the Shaman hopes at least.

V. Priority 3, Effect adding, Recruiting, RoleType Protagonist Primary,

I. Wraith

II. Third Party

III. A player who changed his role into a Wraith after being killed/lynched, is not allowed to join the Deadpad but will instead remain in the game. A Wraith does not count to the player pool but as an additional vote with free will. If the Wraith was killed at night, his death will not be announced. If killed at day, he will be revealed as a Wraith instead of his original role. A Wraith is not allowed to speak and can only vote/votelock per day phase, he receives no penalty on doing so. A Wraith cannot be interacted with by any player day/night action (kill/vote change/sickly, etc). If the Wraith's Shaman dies or release his Wraith, the Wraith finally dies as well and his actual role gets revealed.

IV. A way of continue holding onto votes and make the game "tighter" as Townie will look with a frenzy for the Mafia Shaman to get rid of known TP Wraiths who might have been Mafia. However also a problem for Mafia as a Townie Shaman might give Town two extra votes which could throw a wrench into the Mafia day plans. Also a way for dead players to continue being a part of the game even after death, even in a limited way.
I first thought of Mafia Wraith and normal Townie Wraith but then thought if it wouldn't be more interesting if Wraiths, if revealed during day, show up as TP so that Town has a harder time figuring out if said Wraith was a townie or a Mafia.

V. No Priority, Passive

Last edited: