Info - Official Fanbook Volume 10.5 | Page 25 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Official Fanbook Volume 10.5

Awennor

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Such high praise for Yagyuu.
Though it still seems Yagyuu only won because at that point Nationals!Niou needed a few games to use Illusion.

I'm really interested in the off-screened Marui 10-8 Jackal scoreline, Chinen 17-15 Tanishi score and the Akutsu 7-1 Kawamura scoreline.
Most of the off-screened matches only get one line descriptions. I can take a look at those for you.

I don't think that's the reason Niou didn't use Illusion, I think he just wanted to fool Yagyuu and he thought it would be enough to win. I don't think it has been stated anywhere that he needs time to get the illusion ready(correct me if I'm wrong), it could be he takes time because of his personality. When I think about why Niou didn't use illusion at all (to try and make a comeback or something) and about how Konomi thinks, it's either:
1) Konomi doesn't care about consistency and simply wanted to send Niou to the losers camp.
2) Illusion doesn't work all that well on Yagyuu because he has spent too much time with Niou (or some other reason that makes no sense given how effective illusion seens to be)
3) He was caught up in the moment of having his trick broken and did not have time to counter attack

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Niou had to throw away three games against Fuji before he could create an effective Illusion there.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Niou had to throw away three games against Fuji before he could create an effective Illusion there.
Just checked the manga, it's stated he really did need that time, so I guess what I said before doesn't make sense.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

File 3
Akaya VS Renji - opponent forfeited
Extra Notes
The proof that a bit of logical understanding reamains?! Even if he turns in to a demon, the way he speaks against Renji is still formal/respectful (TN: it's Keigo, the so called respectful Japanese that people use with bosses, seniors, older people, etc)
Kirihara remains on the camp alongside his feeling of defeat. He changes regret in to a wish for revenge.

Coaches
Saitou - He needs emotional control: he needs spiritual strength to take advantage of his increased abilities when in demon form.
Conditioning Coach - using it too much puts too much train on his body: the strain on his body is big when in demon form. If he uses it too much, he will destroy himself.

---------- Post added at 04:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

File 12 - winners
Marui VS Jackal 10-8
In the match between the strongest doubles pair, Marui's offensive that had his spirit in it breaks through Jackal's defense.
File 19 - losers
Jackal VS Marui
Jackal shows off his iron wall defense, but it cannot keep up with Marui's myougis

File 15 - winners
Akutsu VS kawamura 7-1
Akutsu who has spent 4 months away from the courts, show off his heavenly talent in a complete victory.
File 13 - losers
Kawamura VS Akutsu
Even though he challenges the match with full power, he cannot do much against the talent of a monster like Akutsu.

---------- Post added September 25, 2015 at 07:09 AM ---------- Previous post was September 23, 2015 at 04:33 PM ----------

File 4
Tezuka VS Kaidoh 7-0
Extra Notes
The balls that were supposed to go out get sucked in by the Tezuka Zone. Not being allowed to lose easily, Kaidoh finally goes in to a fighting mood against Tezuka.
Tezuka exchanges some words with Atobe, who's fighting in the next court. Their feelings towards the people who will take over the post of captain are of the same type.
Ending the match by using the Zero Shiki shot. That is the proof that Tezuka recognized Kaidoh.

Coach Notes
Kurobe - the ultimate technique to defend against the opponent's shots: The secret behind the Tezuka Zone that controls the opponent's shots is a combination of observation to read how the opponent will move and the technique to hit the ball with the correct spin.
Conditional Coach - very effective power usage: He onlys applies strength at the time of impact, limiting stamina consumption as much as possible.
Saitou - even in a bad situation, a steel mental that makes his heart never waver: even if the opponent is a junior, both his play and his facial expressions don't shake. An amazing spiritual strength.

Last edited:

-Ken-

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Thailand
It's cool to see Tezuka recognized Kaidoh ability, I wonder how far Kaidoh will go 1 year from now.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
File 5
Atobe VS Hiyoshi 47-45
Extra Notes
In order to draw out Hiyoshi to his limits, Atobe appeared to be playing equally. In truth, he was hiding a good portion of his strength.
Hearing the echos of the Hyoutei call, Atobe jumps magnificently in the sky. The attack he hits between Hiyoshi's legs is Atobe's farewell gift to his heir.

Coach
Conditional - His body balance is something else: even as he continues to do fine jumps, his mid-air balance does not break at all. His body balance is suitable.
Saitou - a nature of standing out: he's the type that finds pleasure in being watched by others. He has a personality well-oriented for a competitive sport like tennis.
Kurobe - good reading of "chance of victory" (勝機): The timing where he goes up a gear is excellent. His ability to read the flow of the match is extremely good.

---------- Post added at 05:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 AM ----------

File 6
Kikumaru VS Oishi 7-4
Extra Notes:
He pressures Oishi through his play but he cannot get rid of his worries.
In his match point, he keeps doing double faults.
Fighting in full strength is the greatest respect to his partner. Carrying his friend's feelings, he decides to stay in the camp.

Saitou - his mental is too naive: to bring private issues in to the court is a big no-no. He needs to strengthen his mental with urgency.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Kurobe - good reading of "chance of victory" (勝機): The timing where he goes up a gear is excellent. His ability to read the flow of the match is extremely good.
We haven't seen many comments like this one before, have we? It matches up quite nicely with this page though.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
We haven't seen many comments like this one before, have we? It matches up quite nicely with this page though.
True! But I don't see how it fits the match with Hiyoshi.

---------- Post added at 06:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 AM ----------

File 7
Fuji VS Fuji 7-0
Extra Notes
Even if his opponent is his younger brother, he shows no mercy. Showing his true strength is a proof of love for his brother.
By fighting with full strength, he earns his younger brother's respect.

File 8
Shiraishi VS Kenya 7-3
Extra Notes
He puts the opponent's speeds in his calculations and fights with varied shots and perfect combinations.

Everything else is one-liner.
So we are done with this section that ended at page 63. We then jump to page 89 (skipping the profiles of the MSers)
This new section is called Midway Report on Player Fortification.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
True! But I don't see how it fits the match with Hiyoshi.
Maybe it means that if Atobe hadn't ended the match there, Hiyoshi would've accumulated so much momentum that it would've actually become kinda dangerous for Atobe? Like imagine Hiyoshi gets a small boost in confidence every time he scores on Atobe and that goes on for 45 points, something like that.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Page 89
Section description
This section is a record of the MSs growth, done by using the court 5 VS court 3 change match. (I'm not sure if this line means the record of the growth was constructed as a result of the matches or if the growth itself is a result of the matches, but after reading Kurobe's introduction, it's clear it's the first option)

Introduction written by Kurobe
Bolded Text: Through real matches, we will analyse the growth process of the middle schoolers
Normal Text: Through the training in the camp, the MSs have greatly improved their fundamental abilities. We'll use the matches against the third court, which has united elite players, to see their level of growth.

Extra Note
The representative from court 5 who started the challenge was Oni! The passion of the MSs set Oni's heart on fire.

---------- Post added at 06:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

Maybe it means that if Atobe hadn't ended the match there, Hiyoshi would've accumulated so much momentum that it would've actually become kinda dangerous for Atobe? Like imagine Hiyoshi gets a small boost in confidence every time he scores on Atobe and that goes on for 45 points, something like that.
Seems reasonable!

---------- Post added September 29, 2015 at 07:46 AM ---------- Previous post was September 27, 2015 at 06:28 AM ----------

Page 89
Liliadent VS Nakagauchi
Krauser challenged Nakagauchi to a power match. He lost, but he has show improvement in body, skill and heart.

Spiritual strength to go through with his style: even though Nakagauchi showed off his robustness, Krauser kept attacking with his style until the very end.

He has difficulty with pacing: While it is true his stamina is low, he jumps ahead on the beginning and ends up running out of gas.

Enough power to make the opponent fly away: hoping off from near the ground at a highspeed, the ball makes Nakagauchi fly off the ground. What has made this possible is his improvement in arm strength.

Improvement Points
Power +5
Mental +3
Technique +3

TN: So it's pretty clear now the points are related to the camp, not to the match.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
I still think it's related to the match, otw Krauser is the strongest man on Earth ^^' (or he was a wimp when he played against Akaya).

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, I'm not going to argue, but to me two things are clear:
1) It's about the training.
2) The +5 does not mean the stat went up by 5 points, it simply mean it was improved by 5 points in some improvement scale which is not translatable to direct stats.

For the numbers to be related to the match, they would have to be completely out of context. Quite a stretch.

EDIT: I said I wasn't going to argue but I ended up what I was posting with an argument. Oh well.

Last edited:

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
There is one specific point that bugs me about it being related to the camp overall. Atobe got like +7 Stamina during his match, but his actual Stamina stat hasn't improved at all between the team shuffle and this fanbook, it's 5 both times. On the other hand he got +6 Technique and that went up from 4 to 6 between the two data points.

Also, I don't see why they'd have to be out of context for the match. For instance in Krauser's case he got +5 Power, +3 Mental and +3 Technique. Power and Technique is probably related to him using Southern Cross (he used it 3 times, so +1/+1 for each use) whereas the remaining +2 Power/+3 Mental can be attributed to the flashback he had; Nakagauchi even commented that his power went up after that.

EDIT: I said I wasn't going to argue but I ended up what I was posting with an argument. Oh well.
Well, we're not going to get closer to the correct answer by not talking about it, so unless it's actually a bother for you, keep going.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This feels like a religious debate about some poorly written scriptures.

Anyways, putting the points aside for a while, is everyone here on the same page that the section just self-described itself as being about showing the camp improvements through the matches? If we all agree on that, at least I can be sure we are on the same page.

I wish I could ask Konomi about this and that he would actually answer it seriously.

---------- Post added at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

There is one specific point that bugs me about it being related to the camp overall. Atobe got like +7 Stamina during his match, but his actual Stamina stat hasn't improved at all between the team shuffle and this fanbook, it's 5 both times. On the other hand he got +6 Technique and that went up from 4 to 6 between the two data points.
I have no argument for that. What I do think is that Konomi doesn't care enough to make it consistent, but that's not an argument.

Also, I don't see why they'd have to be out of context for the match. For instance in Krauser's case he got +5 Power, +3 Mental and +3 Technique. Power and Technique is probably related to him using Southern Cross (he used it 3 times, so +1/+1 for each use) whereas the remaining +2 Power/+3 Mental can be attributed to the flashback he had; Nakagauchi even commented that his power went up after that.
The +3 of mental is related to him keeping up his style in spite of the dude getting up, the text is there and it uses the term spiritual strength, which is used as synonym for the mental stat multiple times in the book. weather it's related to the flashback or not, it is unknown, but since there is no textual or image related to the flashback ( I think), I don't see why you would think that.

The image where is shown lying in the floor is in a small square that also contains the text criticizing his lack of stamina pacing, so the image is there to illustrate it. The image that Nakagauchi comments on the detructive power increasing during the match is put together with the text about how his improved arm strength is the thing that allows his move to make Nakagauchi fly off, so I suppose that could be one argument in the favor of the stat increasing during the match.

The image with the cross in the fence and Nagauchi looking with a dark face is accompanied by the text talking about how his mental strength allows him to keep up his style and stuff.

There is a small text near that cross in the fence image that talks about how he keeps it up even though he is losing points and this text even has an arrow pointing to the image.

Anyways, I forgot to translate the small texts (which I usually call extra notes), I'll likely do it tomorrow with the next match.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Wow, I never noticed those arrows before. That's great. Ok, I was clearly wrong about the flashback, I just attributed it to that because Nakagauchi mentions Krauser's determination right afterwards. Nevertheless, I can still attribute +3 Mental to exactly three points during the match with this. The first one is here (keeps up his style despite his shots going out), the second one is here and the third one here (keeping his style despite Nakagauchi getting back up, two points because it happened twice).

What do you think? Honestly, we can probably figure it out once we have the other reports as well and see if we can attribute the points to in-match events in a sensible way.

I wish I could ask Konomi about this and that he would actually answer it seriously.
You cannot imagine how often I've thought this in the past years.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nevertheless, I can still attribute +3 Mental to exactly three points during the match with this. The first one is here (keeps up his style despite his shots going out), the second one is here and the third one here (keeping his style despite Nakagauchi getting back up, two points because it happened twice).
While I do think that if the points were related to the match it would make sense to be in those moments, I can't see how it would come to that. Why would it be related to specific match points? I can imagine it a temporary in-match boost, but I can't imagine Konomi putting a +3 and thinking "oh, it's one point because of this moment, then that one moment and this moment here". It just doesn't seen like something that would actually happen. Not impossible but so unlikely.

You cannot imagine how often I've thought this in the past years.
I actually tweeted him asking right now. But the man is too famous, he gets tons of twitter mentions...

I'll go to sleep now. Even if this isn't answered, the upcoming translation should offer some cool insights in to some MSers and later on we get some report on the HSs side of the matches too (if I remember correctly), so that should also give some never seen before info, maybe.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
While I do think that if the points were related to the match it would make sense to be in those moments, I can't see how it would come to that. Why would it be related to specific match points?
Well, we don't see a good portion of each match, so it seems reasonable to assume that Konomi shows us the parts that are actually relevant. These stat boosts seem to be relevant as well, hence I find it likely that they're linked to parts of the match we've actually seen. Of course I can't prove that in any way except trying to connect the points to what's shown, but it just makes more sense to me that way.

Even if this isn't answered, the upcoming translation should offer some cool insights in to some MSers and later on we get some report on the HSs side of the matches too (if I remember correctly), so that should also give some never seen before info, maybe.
I think the later reports are more like the elimination match summaries (from what I can tell anyway), but if they have some nice info on the HSers as well it'll be interesting for sure.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:29 PM ----------

I feel like I didn't explain this, but I didn't mean to say each "boost moment" automatically translated to a +1. I think if it's a special move it can be more than that, but if the move gets used multiple times it has to boost by the same amount each time and the moment is either mentioned or shown.

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Well, we can continue the discussion on what the points mean once I'm done with the matches.

Anyways, from around page 115, we get those same matches from the HSers perspective.

Page 89
Krauser VS Nakagauchi
Extra Notes
With a single decisive shot, the opponent flies all the way to the fence.
Even as he loses points, he sets the stage with his special skill (image of the cross in the fence)

Page 90
Kirihara and Shiraishi doubles (Kirihara section)
While he shows growth in his stamina, he has also shown his biggest evolution yet: self-controlling strength.

Even at the latter half of the match, his stamina does not drop: (Text points to heart) Even though he used demon-mode, he keeps up until the end of the match. His stamina strengthening is something to keep an eye on.
Leg strength to keep up with the HSers (text points to leg): he reacted perfectly to the speed bragging Chikahiko. His defensive power has also went up.
Enough mental to not lose his self-control in demon form (text points to head): normally it's his anger that triggers devil mode, but with Shiraishi's help he manages to keep cool even as he entire body turns red.

Extra Notes:
Against Chikahiko's lob, he jumps high and smashes it decisively.
Without a drop of a cloud in his clear heart, Kirihara is able to use all of his potential strength to the limit.
Even as he becomes the target of Miyako, he has enough spiritual strength to not lose himself to anger.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Alright, let's play this game for Akaya then. I'm just gonna do these as you put out the reports.

Kirihara's boosts are:
+3 Speed
+1 Power
+3 Stamina
+5 Mental
+1 Technique

Even at the latter half of the match, his stamina does not drop: (Text points to heart) Even though he used demon-mode, he keeps up until the end of the match. His stamina strengthening is something to keep an eye on.
Let's start with this. The recorded Stamina drop for entering Devil Mode at that time was 2.5. The +3 recorded here basically cancels out that drop which matches this comment.

Leg strength to keep up with the HSers (text points to leg): he reacted perfectly to the speed bragging Chikahiko. His defensive power has also went up.
One.
Two.
Three.

Probably refers to him jumping up high to increase his defensive range.

Enough mental to not lose his self-control in demon form (text points to head): normally it's his anger that triggers devil mode, but with Shiraishi's help he manages to keep cool even as he entire body turns red.

Without a drop of a cloud in his clear heart, Kirihara is able to use all of his potential strength to the limit.

Even as he becomes the target of Miyako, he has enough spiritual strength to not lose himself to anger.
These are hard, but I reckon something like this:

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Five (definitely the least sure about this one since it might be linked to the previous one).

Against Chikahiko's lob, he jumps high and smashes it decisively.
Probably this one. I know this isn't the same image as shown in the book, but it matches the comment. Also notice how the shot is drawn differently here compared to all the other times (zigzagged instead of straight).

This only leaves us with +1 Technique unaccounted for and that's almost certainly this.

Last edited:

Awennor

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hey guys, just passing by to let you know that my translation pacing should go down considerably because my Master course classes have started. It'll likely become a weekly thing (if we're lucky). I should still be translating the manga because that takes way less time and flows better (has furigana and mainly dialog). Glad I helped adding some new info on this Summer vacation and an apology in advance if I end up not translating anything else in the databook or if it becomes monthly like Shin PoT itself :(

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
Hermano no need to apology, if it wasn't for you who knows when we would had those translations. Take your time, we're already super thankful for all the work you did so far ^^