Discussion - One Piece General SBS Discussion Thread | Page 23 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion One Piece General SBS Discussion Thread

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Info from SBS volume 106
(Thanks to MountCorvo_Off on Twitter)

We learn the justice of the two new Admirals
Fujitora : Honorable Justice
Aramaki : Deadly Justice

Every CP9 member is now part of CP0 and those with a mask like Lucci/Stussy/Kaku are very powerful compared to those without masks

The "K" in Kroom is the K for "Knife".
Kroom allows Law to connect a remote room to his Kikoku and operate in it from a distance.
Oda comments that "It's normal that it's confusing".

Sentomaru's backstory : In a lumberjack village, a little kid was mocked for his strength. Having witnessed the young sumo's prowess, Doctor Vegapunk himself took him under his wing to make him his bodyguard.

Those who get turned to stone by S-Snake find her adorable like you would find a baby or a cute child adorable.

Katakuri's Mogura and Law's Kikoku of they were real people:

When Nami was kicking Lucci she was saying something like "You're no longer acting so tough mister "I was the boss when it came to bully Robin in Enies Lobby"

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Those who get turned to stone by S-Snake find her adorable like you would find a baby or a cute child adorable.
I want to note that I stood by Usopp's side all along when he was turned into stone and people slandered him. I said exactly this all along, people just love to hate on my king. :hmph

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to note that I stood by Usopp's side all along when he was turned into stone and people slandered him. I said exactly this all along, people just love to hate on my king. :hmph
While it was pretty obvious that Oda wasn't trying to make characters out to be pedos, he *really* could've done a better job leading up to the reveal of the mero mero's ability working outside of explicitly sexual/romantic attraction. Oda had *just* had her fight with Blackbeard and could've snuck in some line hinting at that. Out of all the things to be vague or clumsy about while telling your story, you probably don't want 'is X a pedo' to get within a hundred miles of your fans' discourse.

Franckie

Reaction score
Country
United States
Usopp beating the allegations

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oda implying Shanks is gay, us Shanks fans stay WINNING

😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Suddenly Shanks being the master of CoC makes so much sense 😏

Oda's foreshadowing is God level

WILDCARD 1 7

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Translation/ clarification from Eternalboy and Redon.

Oda: Shanks is more popular with women, but Ben is more flirtatious because he loves women.

Oda: Shanks is more like Luffy/ Zoro, Ben is more like Sanji, but Ben is more popular with women.

Also here is the order of best drinker's on the crew from Oda.
Jimbe
Zoro
Nami
Franky
Sanji
Robin
Brook
Ussop
Luffy
Chopper

shailks

Reaction score
Country
India
Ben is like Sanji but not really as he manages to score sometimes -Oda.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
While it was pretty obvious that Oda wasn't trying to make characters out to be pedos, he *really* could've done a better job leading up to the reveal of the mero mero's ability working outside of explicitly sexual/romantic attraction. Oda had *just* had her fight with Blackbeard and could've snuck in some line hinting at that. Out of all the things to be vague or clumsy about while telling your story, you probably don't want 'is X a pedo' to get within a hundred miles of your fans' discourse.
Sanji and 9-years old Nami in film Z

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does Oda get assistants that help him? I wonder why he doesn't just focus on the story, panels and basic drawing? Make his assistants do the shading and whatever else?

Same with HxH author Togashi? His drawing is basic anyway, get some decent assistants and make them draw. Idk

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Does Oda get assistants that help him? I wonder why he doesn't just focus on the story, panels and basic drawing? Make his assistants do the shading and whatever else?
Pretty sure that's already the case.

I remember reading that Oda said he draws all characters and everything else with movement (crowds, smoke, animals, seas etc). Meaning assistants draw backgrounds and all that jazz, based on his setting art.

That's still a lot for Oda to draw, though, compared to many other mangaka.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Pretty sure that's already the case.

I remember reading that Oda said he draws all characters and everything else with movement (crowds, smoke, animals, seas etc). Meaning assistants draw backgrounds and all that jazz, based on his setting art.

That's still a lot for Oda to draw, though, compared to many other mangaka.
He probably does as much work as minimum possible

The important thing is what is "minimum possible"

Regarding characters, he must draw their skeleton, faces, hair, etc... but something like clothing would be up to the assistants

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
It was in the SBS for volume 52:

D: Oda-sensei, you have assistants like other artists, right? Other manga you can recognize when stuff is obviously done by assistants, but when you look at One Piece from the first volume, it doesn't seem that way! Do you draw everything that appears in the art?
P.N. Girl Who Reread it from Volume 1

O: Absolutely not, I couldn't draw every single thing. My staff draws the backgrounds for me. When I show them my setting art, they deconstruct it and ensure that everything gets displayed perfectly. My staff is incredibly talented. Perhaps the difference you're seeing is that I draw 100% of anything "living or moving", including mob scenes, animals, smoke, clouds, seas, etc. When you leave the movement up to someone else, it can't help but cause abnormalities in your art. It becomes awkward. This is all just my particular obsession within my work, however.
I imagine assistants do a lot of the shading, inking etc as well, as they do for most.

I remember ad well he's said his assistants dread any time that Crocodile shows back up in the story because they have to draw the sand effects when he uses his fruit and it's the most time-consuming thing they have to draw.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
It was in the SBS for volume 52:

I imagine assistants do a lot of the shading, inking etc as well, as they do for most.

I remember ad well he's said his assistants dread any time that Crocodile shows back up in the story because they have to draw the sand effects when he uses his fruit and it's the most time-consuming thing they have to draw.

That stippling is nightmarish. Every time I see Croc's attacks my hand aches.

WILDCARD 1 7

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
This is pretty sweet
For those that don't know that's Mayumi Tanaka the voice actor for Luffy giving away the Straw Hats.

Last edited:

Australopithecus

Reaction score
Country
Akatsuki
Oda implying Shanks is gay, us Shanks fans stay WINNING

😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰
Wut? Where does he do that? Because of the similarity between him and Luffy? Nah. No way Shanks is gay. Jesus! He has a son with Makino for God's sake.

Pirate Queen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wut? Where does he do that? Because of the similarity between him and Luffy? Nah. No way Shanks is gay. Jesus! He has a son with Makino for God's sake.
I was just joking.
It implied that Shanks didn't like women but it was just saying he is like Luffy/Zoro where he doesn't go out seeking love.

I mean, he has a child with Makino for goodness sake 😂

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
wait is it canon that Makino's kid is Shanks'?

DeadlyBeast

Reaction score
Country
United States
wait is it canon that Makino's kid is Shanks'?
No the only canon child he has is Uta and she ain't even his bio kid. Knowing Shanks he probs has dozens of children out there he never stuck around to raise. If you haven't noticed his style is to parent a kid for a short period, make them care about him, and then to leave.