Movies - Oscar's Contest 2022 | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies Oscar's Contest 2022

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire

Trying to forget the on-stage drama and focus the drama on the screen, let's just say that now a lot of people will learn after googling what CODA stands for, and that is a good thing. A safe film might have won the biggest award, but one with good intentions and warm heart. I'm very tired, and I really hope I counted these right. I'll link the sheet at the end of the post, so anyone can re-check.

Now let's see who won our Oscar!

🥉 At 3rd place with 17 points - was me, Riku. 🥉

🥈 At shared 2nd place with 18 points are @Organizized @goldb and @PhillyG 🥈

Congratulations, well done, but just not quite well enough. The second place could have gone to user @phipps13 with 19 points, but since that nick doesn't exist, too bad. (Contact me, Riku, if you have have misspelt your nick or something and I just didn't find it)

But now a reveal, that for me is the real best part of this years Oscars. After so many close calls this mysterious DiCaprio of Mangahelpers finally takes the prize that is much deserved and has been a long time coming. Dear people,

🥇
The 1st place with 20 points goes to the one and only, the legend @George Monkey
🥇

Congratulations!

The point score is shared with user @Dnanni1, but since that is once again a non-nick, it is ignore (contact me, Riku, if there has been a mistake of some sorts)

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I must agree with that sentiment. Like 1,5 hours of the running lenght of Nightmare Alley were absolute bore. Only things going for it were production design, cinematography and the performances of Dafoe, Blanchett and that one guy from HBOs Watchmen. And none of these despite good, were among the best of the year in that category. It almost felt lime a pastiche of the film noir genre.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Huge thxs @Riku for hosting and to everyone who joins, Congrats Monkey boy and other winners ! :zomg

That was my 1st participation to this, and that was pretty fun. i havent watched a lot of movies (only 5 or 6 of the selected ones), I should have watched dune and coda at least, even if i had watched everything, I probably would have failed :arf

I m so happy Summer of Soul got an award. looking for next year edition, I hope Passing will get nominations it deserves.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
I'd be very surprised if he still has his Oscar tomorrow. No way IMO they should let him keep it.
But Polanski and Woody Allen get to keep theirs?

It was a very jarring thing and an assault. But anyone acting like there's some sort of moral high ground the Academy should take over this and still choosing to honor or work with those types are silly IMO.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Also

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
But Polanski and Woody Allen get to keep theirs?

It was a very jarring thing and an assault. But anyone acting like there's some sort of moral high ground the Academy should take over this and still choosing to honor or work with those types are silly IMO.
The difference here is that they didn't assault a presenter during a ceremony over an extremely tame joke (not that it matters since there's no excuse for what he did, period), only to then boast about being a "vessel of love" and such minutes later after winning an award.

Polanski and Allen arguably never were as popular/idolized as Smith who certainly was a hero to many kids in many movies across the years.

It's an absolutely disgusting thing to witness, not only seeing someone you deemed "good" to just act violently for no good reason, but then also see no consequence whatsoever come from it, with people giving him a standing ovation and clapping after all that love and family talk when he just assaulted a man some minutes prior.

It's a bad look for the Academy because it happened at its very heart, live on television, it's disrespectful to every single person in the audience, especially all of those that were nominated and/or won, he single-handedly destroyed the night for many people when it was meant to be countless people's big moment.

I've seen some videos already on this and yeah, a lot of people say he should keep the award because he had been picked as the winner prior to it all and because of his acting.

That's all true, but coming over to a presenter during the ceremony, slapping them across the face in a very sucker-punch-y way, completely lose it in a expletive-filled tirade, and then sit there for the rest of the thing and still accept an award like it was no big deal, the whole thing is extremely bad.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
The difference here is that they didn't assault a presenter during a ceremony over an extremely tame joke (not that it matters since there's no excuse for what he did, period), only to then boast about being a "vessel of love" and such minutes later after winning an award.

Polanski and Allen arguably never were as popular/idolized as Smith who certainly was a hero to many kids in many movies across the years.

It's an absolutely disgusting thing to witness, not only seeing someone you deemed "good" to just act violently for no good reason, but then also see no consequence whatsoever come from it, with people giving him a standing ovation and clapping after all that love and family talk when he just assaulted a man some minutes prior.

It's a bad look for the Academy because it happened at its very heart, live on television, it's disrespectful to every single person in the audience, especially all of those that were nominated and/or won, he single-handedly destroyed the night for many people when it was meant to be countless people's big moment.

I've seen some videos already on this and yeah, a lot of people say he should keep the award because he had been picked as the winner prior to it all and because of his acting.

That's all true, but coming over to a presenter during the ceremony, slapping them across the face in a very sucker-punch-y way, completely lose it in a expletive-filled tirade, and then sit there for the rest of the thing and still accept an award like it was no big deal, the whole thing is extremely bad.
I didn't really set out to address how it was received by his peers or even the public. I understand your point. I'm just saying that the Academy choosing to strip him of an award when literal child rapists still have theirs isn't a good look. I'm not sure what idolatry has to do with it though, an Oscar recipient is an Oscar recipient in my view. That's like saying a gesture like this is only important if the person is famous enough.

And Polanski and Allen are definitely revered among actors and the people that still choose to work with them (or even advocate for them in some cases). But I guess it's not the same as the general public, so I digress.

Evil3ye

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Fun Forum
Watched the Dog movie now, it was OK. What should I watch next?

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
I think I'll watch Flee today or tomorrow. It just got added to the national broadcasters free streaming service.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
@Riku we didn't touch on this during the ceremony but me and my wife talked about it.. when they brought out three live action Disney princesses to present the Animated Feature category, and basically said "these movies shape us as kids and we watched them over and over and kids this and kids that"... I'm glad a film like Flee was nominated, in three categories nonetheless, because I really want to see this view the Academy has of animation change. Every year they make these kinds of comments, downplaying it to the kiddie category. Voters saying they didn't watch any of the films, just picked the one their kids watched the most. It's infuriating.

Imagine if Flee had won, after that presentation of the award. In a better world..

Riku

Dirty Blonde
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Torumekian Empire
Yeah, that annoys me as well. It's the best animation, not best children's film.

I didn't know there was some sort "didn't watch, just voted my kids favorite" shit going on. That sucks. Some categories should just simply be open for representatives of that specific craft. Animation included.

That knowledge in mind though, that makes Spirited Aways win even more miraculous than it already is.

George Monkey

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you to all of you on this site for your kind words. The Monkey appreciates it fully.

I can see many of you know A LOT about film ... and thus, The Monkey needs to pay a visit here more than once a year.

Yet I will have to balance that with continuing to maintain the aforementioned level of Monkey Mystery.

You have made me laugh and smile ... and I want to wish all of you the best in everything that is happening in your lives.

Your friend,

George Monkey.