Discussion - Re-write the Alvarez Arc | Page 13 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Re-write the Alvarez Arc

Would you change the Alvarez arc?

• Not at all

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Minorly

Votes: 17 9.8%
  • Moderately

Votes: 34 19.5%
  • Majorly

Votes: 72 41.4%
  • Completely

Votes: 47 27.0%

• Total voters

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I guess the only three-four real things I would change for the Alvarez arc is extending the fight with God Serena and the 4 Wizard Saints and showing all/most their powers, Acno showing up is fine, God Serena returns to give Gildarts a tough time as a Historia. Neinhart would make his own historias from his past and have new enemies that would gang up on Jellal instead of just creating Simon, the other being Bloodman's Curses, instead of reusing the Tartaros Curses, maybe have him use like the Ten Plagues of Egypt, maybe have Cobra join in too. the third being extending the fights with Zeref and Acnologia. a minor thing would be like adding the Quatro Cerberus, Magic Council forces and Fiore Kingdom army join in on the battlefield too.

Last edited:

Firnfiction

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I have to confess i cant rmb too much, what more in chronological order but these were some of the thoughts that resonated with me back when i read it. Mostly the things I felt off were the matchups or how they played out. My suggestions below are in no order, please forgive me for the mess :( :-

- generally members of other guilds should team up together bc it's not a war with FT, it's a war with Fiore!

- Historia of the Dead and Universe one only being used later in the war when things got desperate.

- Natsu being consumed by dragon seed and defeat Acno and then Zeref
: Natsu becomes a dragon first, let him face acno solo and then after acno dies, the other dragon slayers be the one to combine their effort to stop him, slaying his dragon seed or something.
: Zeref sees Natsu's victory over Acno and is convinced Natsu is finally strong enough. Zeref becomes maniacal and forces Natsu to trigger END. Mavis intervenes and follows canon:- Mavis is the one to defeat Zeref with their Ankhseram curse. Lucy and Gray maintain their roles of saving Natsu from END.

- when Universe One activated and Tenrou merged to mainland, Warrod powes up the Tenrou tree to strengthen Fairy tail members. Meredy assists Warrod to share the boost with citizens of Fiore, since the tree is part of the mainland maybe it means Fiore citizens could receive its powers.

- Juvia dies after water-make blood. Could mirror something like Reina's sacrifice for Musica in Rave Master. She didn't have much to offer anymore anyway, her character was just there as a Gray fanatic, no more growth.

----- below are different matchups i would have had for some of the spriggan-----

(Vs Bradman + Larcade)
: Larcade has not begin fighting anyone yet. He stays with Zeref throughout and suggests to hunt Natsu for him. Only then Larcade finds out he was an etherious, however he gets banished by Zeref instead of being eradicated. He becomes mentally affected and stumbles upon Yukino and Sorano while they're making up. He gets riled up with the while family scene considering his was just demolished.
: Concurrently, Mira and Lisanna are against Bradman. Bradman seems disgusted a human has been able to learn etherious magic. Lisanna doesnt provide much as usual at this point.
: Sorano+Yukino vs Larcade and Mira+Lisanna vs Bradman clash. All learn that Larcade is an etherious. Bradman suggests "unison raid" with Larcade but instead he consumes him to add Larcade's curse to his arsenal, claiming he should be the only etherious to exist
: Boosted Bradman overpowers the four girls. Sorano summons an angel, maybe named Lucifer, as her strongest skill. She reveals she has stopped using Angel Summoning magic bc of her interaction with Gray in Starry Sky arc. The magic consumes her lifespan but that is desperate times, and she's willing to do it to protect her sister again. Then Some heartfelt panels about sisterhood amongst 4 of them. Mirajane shares about how in lore, satan is a fallen angel himself, and suggest to do what Bradman and Larcade attempted - unison raid. In this case Mira uses satan soul and takes over angel Lucifer, so that Sorano's life isn't in danger.
: Satan soul Lucifer then defeats boosted Bradman and Mira takes over him (this part could be too OP for Mira after all this huhu but i biased sorry)

(Vs Wahl)
: first of all, Jenny should be involved with the fight against Wahl bc of her Machina takeover. Not the one to defeat him but her magic really should be involved in this??? Other combatants could include
: Rufus - retaliate the weakness of the bots or recreate the bots
: Sherry for doll magic to control bots
: Gajeel - iron dragon vs a robotic opponent. Gajeel can maybe eat his material
: thunder god tribe
- bickslow same as Sherry controls bots
- evergreen just normal crowd control
- freed finishes Wahl off with Gajeel

(Vs Ajeel)
- Jura, Orga, Ichiya, the Trimens (Hibiki, Ren, Eve)
: Jura and Orga reminisce their GMG fight
: trimens offer support, Eve countering sandstorm with snow, Ren clearing up sand with wind, etc.

(Vs Jacob)
- Bacchus, Elfman team up for his hand-to-hand
- Mest for his teleportation
- Cana for dimensional magic to trap him in his card or something. Maybe could play in Jacob's sensitivity to her attire too but that gag was quite unnecessary considering the intensity of this war.

(Vs Neinhart)
- Historia of the dead only affecting those with guilt. : as before, Simon to Kagura+Jellal+Erza.
: Ivan to Laxus+Makarov. Huge shocker bc nobody knew he died and that made them even more guilty., : Layla and Jude to Lucy. Lucy feels guilty for losing Aquarius's key and also not being able to reconcile with her father
Precht to maybe Warrod
Zera maybe to Mavis
:o outcome: Jellal+Laxus defeats Neinhart. Erza bonds with Kagura as big sister, Lucy becomes more empowered with protecting loved ones or something

(Vs August)
- fine with how it is but he died quite early. Should be more involved when Zeref and Mavis interacted. Also couldnt really understand the concept how mavis birthed him when she was frozen technically? Same as how Irene was pregnant with erza for so long like?? Even if enchanted with magic, that was quite intense LOL

(Vs Juliet and Heine)
Sting and Rogue vs J&H but Irene punishes Minerva for it in front of them. Minerva is at a closer tier to Erza than Mira is at this point, she is a better comparison for power scaling to foreshadow Irene

Other than these i think the other battles went on fine. The thing about God Serena i think many of yall have posted better ideas than i could. He wasnt that interesting to me to begin with so i dont feel much about him. Except for maybe Sting and Rogue could face his Historia version. Also equally embarsssing for his character.

Last edited:

Ratrace

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
these maybe changes to the story

Like Alvarez and the Spriggans were supposed to be a big threat so why weren't they mentioned before now (I somewhat already know the answer)

Zeref has at least a spy in FT and/or Fiore if FT/FH was so important to Zeref why not have someone there that could send him information

Steven

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Like Alvarez and the Spriggans were supposed to be a big threat so why weren't they mentioned before now (I somewhat already know the answer)
I still claim to this day Tartaros Arc was suppose to be the final Arc,but for whatever reasons Hiro dropped Alvarez

Firnfiction

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
what about Acnologia and Zeref
Could have just brought in Zeref after all the Demon Gates were eliminated. Then maybe Acno could come in too, or just another independent arc for Acno instead mashing all of them up

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Could have just brought in Zeref after all the Demon Gates were eliminated. Then maybe Acno could come in too, or just another independent arc for Acno instead mashing all of them up
independent arc for Acno I think would have been nice, I don’t like what Hiro did to Zeref during the Alvarez arc but I think it would of been better during the tartaros arc

Firnfiction

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
independent arc for Acno I think would have been nice, I don’t like what Hiro did to Zeref during the Alvarez arc but I think it would of been better during the tartaros arc
Agreed, it's like the attention diverted towards the spriggans, then he takes Natsu away just to save him up for Zeref, only for the one to take on Zeref was Mavis

I'd prefer if The spriggans were Acno's army instead. I thought it was random how Zeref was allowed to be detached from his empire, moping at Tenrou Island, and then reveal that he's an emperor?? Tartaros was quite a formidable army by themselves. Didn't really add up how this one depressed and isolated villain suddenly got revealed he wad ambitious or whatever. As compared to Acno, who had always been portrayed as an ambitious, power hungry villain

Last edited:

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agreed, it's like the attention diverted towards the spriggans, then he takes Natsu away just to save him up for Zeref, only for the one to take on Zeref was Mavis
Now if that happened the demon gates should have been way stronger and Zeref defeated in a team battle of course that should of happened during the Alvarez arc

Firnfiction

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Now if that happened the demon gates should have been way stronger and Zeref defeated in a team battle of course that should of happened during the Alvarez arc
Honestly no shame in having team battles to show how strong the new opponents are, as compared to some random POF

Lucy>Wendy&Elfman

Reaction score
Country
France
So I actually used the right elements for Serena in my rewrite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Any rewrite would be worse than mashima's version except if mashima rewrites it himself

Shiki_Dragneel

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
This arc was once the most terrible arc for most of the fans. I wonder if this is still the case or if the Gold Owl arc is more terrible.

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
anybody thinking they can write fairy tail better than hiro himself is being delusional asf lol

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I thought it was fine, I just say change up some fight situations and we be in a better position.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sunspear
anybody thinking they can write fairy tail better than hiro himself is being delusional asf lol
As the person who made this thread, I actually somewhat agree to some extent... but with a huge caveat - I don't think Alvarez could have been done better than anyone barring Hiro if they're held to the same kind of timeline/schedule. Like, I despised and still despise much of the Alvarez arc. That will never change. However! I also have an immense amount of respect for Hiro considering he released a chapter every week. Under that kind of pressure I don't think I would have written anything close to what he managed. Not gonna lie, I probably would have lost my mind lol.

All that being said, I don't think it's at all delusional to say Alvarez could have been MUCH better. It was a great concept but horribly executed. In fact, I would say it's the posterchild of that cliché. Hell, it only got worse and worse as the arc went on (not sure if you were around at the time, but you can actually see the reaction to each chapter become more outraged each week). Additionally, regardless of whether you acknowledge and agree with what I've said about time pressure being an issue or not, that still doesn't make it exempt from criticism. I reckon it's more than fair to argue that Alvarez is an objectively bad arc in terms of writing and pacing.

More than anything, I just wish Hiro had taken a long break after the Avatar arc and properly planned out Alvarez. It had the potential to be a brilliant arc, maybe even better than Tartaros/GMG (the best arcs of FT IMO).

Just want to re-establish (this isn't aimed at you btw) - this thread was made out of love for the franchise, the world, characters and story of FT, and the creative mind behind it, not hate for Mashima or arrogance of thinking I (or others) would do better under similar circumstances.

Last edited:

Yunkers

Reaction score
Country
Poland
I would change only one thing - reduce number of Spriggans. 12 was too many, fighting those guys made me bored in the middle of things, becuase I wanted the main plot to progress. I feel like 6 is optimal. Maybe allow them to be related to the story somehow. But I feel like you can easily cut 50 chapters of this arc, and the story would not change at all. It's just too much of nothing.

Last edited: