Discussion - Road to Laugh Tale (Vol. 4 Released) | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Road to Laugh Tale (Vol. 4 Released)

catagon87

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
What is it exactly?
"One Piece Road to Laugh Tale is a project that composes a set of booklet series which will exhibit Eiichiro Oda’s previously unseen character designs, initial sketches, and storyboards that did not make it into the final work. It is scheduled to be published with the same name across Weekly Shonen Jump Issue #30, #31, #32, and #33 between June 27, 2022, to July 25, 2022. The booklet is divided into four volumes."

TitaniumOxide

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thoroughly enjoyed reading this... ...infographic. nothing new but it sums it up with very nice pictures, no bs, just basically a hey here's what happened so far and great pics to go with it.

Vanshrimp

Reaction score
Country
Vandenreich
i think there is a little info that may indirectly lead to know more about ancient weapons , in the panel showing roger on fishmen island, roger refered to shirahoshi aka poseidon as the weapon that control neptunians = which means sea kings as we know. if there are seakings in diifferent seas, then her king dom is wider than the current island...shirahoshi could control any sea if there are any sea kings...which is too much power for one being from perspective of wg.

Last edited:

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anything, it serves as a nice visual representation of where we are now in terms of poneglyph information and what other clues have been left.

I enjoyed the sketches showing the evolution to the current Scabbards and how Hitetsu was originally intended to be part of that group.

Also the booklet touches on some questions that have been previously brought up in the community; such as the reason Ace is named after his father's sword and the link between Kaido's devil fruit and God Valley Incident.

Crusherix

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Reading through this made me feel melancholy...
We're in the endgame now and apparently we only have one? arc left but i hope there's many more years to come.
It doesn't need to end with beating Im or finding the one piece.
At the very least my wish is for us to get a "citadel dlc ala mass effect" for our straw hats, Bleach and Naruto ending made me sad, One Piece closing gonna make me cry :(

Fox666

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Reading through this made me feel melancholy...
We're in the endgame now and apparently we only have one? arc left but i hope there's many more years to come.
It doesn't need to end with beating Im or finding the one piece.
At the very least my wish is for us to get a "citadel dlc ala mass effect" for our straw hats, Bleach and Naruto ending made me sad, One Piece closing gonna make me cry :(
Keep in mind that the Yonko "saga" technically started 10 years ago. I don't think the last saga will take 10 years, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't composed of mini-arcs (and a couple of big arcs).

I think with Oda has an ending in mind that he's had since the beginning. It could have changed but that's the last I heard. That does NOT mean it has to be a good ending (see: George R R Martin). A lot of it is going to be related to how he gets there. He's got a huge war in the works that will probably either make or break the end of the series.

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
its true, a lot depends on the ending on OP which defines the series as it follows a linear progression in the storyline... but the message has also been about enjoying the journey to get there and with that in mind, its done a terrific job so far. The last saga should be 5 years roughly. Oda may extend the point till we get to Raftel, but my guess is the raftel part itself won't be siignificantly long, maybe 10 or 20 chapters itself.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Naruto was overall disappointing because the end of the road part was haphazard and not focused... too many last minute introductions as the "main villain" detering the build up to the final fight... I have my concerns about Im sama but unless a villain above him is written, i dont see that as an issue.

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Naruto was overall disappointing because the end of the road part was haphazard and not focused... too many last minute introductions as the "main villain" detering the build up to the final fight... I have my concerns about Im sama but unless a villain above him is written, i dont see that as an issue.
The problem with Naruto is that the final chapter was a follow-up to the 1st chapter, but not for chapters 2-699.

But at least we know One Piece won't be like that. The ending should tie everything together...

hokageji

Reaction score
Country
United States
The problem with Naruto is that the final chapter was a follow-up to the 1st chapter, but not for chapters 2-699.

But at least we know One Piece won't be like that. The ending should tie everything together...
Well, if One Piece ends up being a cup of sake for instance, like some theories floating around, that can be a bit disappointing... But getting to One Piece will still tie everything together, which makes the journey worthwhile...

With Naruto, i think the last fight should've been Madara since he had a significant buildup. But introducing Zetsu as someone who kills him and that lady who ate the devil fruit just seemed unnecessary..
Sasuke and Naruto beat Madara together and fight each other to decide who gets to beat Hokage would've been nice after that... A series where the ultimate villain has changed hands way too many times would still seem like to closed well imo...
Not picking on Naruto as a series... some fights in Naruto are way better than OP, just the late introduction of the villain..

Here, BB still seems like the final villain, and if its Im instead, there's going to be enough buildup by the time we get there...

Fox666

Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
Well, if One Piece ends up being a cup of sake for instance, like some theories floating around, that can be a bit disappointing... But getting to One Piece will still tie everything together, which makes the journey worthwhile...

With Naruto, i think the last fight should've been Madara since he had a significant buildup. But introducing Zetsu as someone who kills him and that lady who ate the devil fruit just seemed unnecessary..
Sasuke and Naruto beat Madara together and fight each other to decide who gets to beat Hokage would've been nice after that... A series where the ultimate villain has changed hands way too many times would still seem like to closed well imo...
Not picking on Naruto as a series... some fights in Naruto are way better than OP, just the late introduction of the villain..

Here, BB still seems like the final villain, and if its Im instead, there's going to be enough buildup by the time we get there...
Worst case scenario is that One Piece ends up like Lost...

It had hundreds of mysteries, which kept the audience hooked, but the writers never really thought about it

And in the end the writers looked up for fan theories on Internet

One Piece doesn't look like that, but we are too close to the end with too many unanswered things.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Next week's volume is looking great. Looks to be some stuff about OP Swords, Blackbeard's crew, and Shanks.

Battle Wolf

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So many informations holy shit! Roger sword named Ace, Murakumogiri from WB... We still have Kitetsu I with a unknown wielder, we still have 3 islands (said on last week) to investigate (Vira, Elbaf and Fullalead), the mistery surrounding the last Poneglyph, the news about Sabo...

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
English version.

Really cool seeing the design iterations on Kaido's hybrid form, as the design of that form was a big topic of discussion until the day of its debut.

The information on the Swords was pretty cool too.

Last edited:

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ulti - originally planned to be a genderless "scarecrow"
Black Maria - originally a stegosaurus
WW - originally a 2 sword style fighter

Beast Pirates really feel like Oda playing out some child-hood dream of getting paid to draw dinosaurs.

zetsu banned

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
English version.

Really cool seeing the design iterations on Kaido's hybrid form, as the design of that form was a big topic of discussion until the day of its debut.

The information on the Swords was pretty cool too.
I actually really dig the longer neck version. Emphasizes Kaidou's odd proportions

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
They were largely disappointing, but man do I still like the concept of the Flying 6. Wish we could've seen a finalized version of Stego Maria.

I can understand why Oda went with the Kaido Hybrid design he did, but I do like the more serpentine hybrids as well. Maybe Oda could've blended the two or had Kaido switch out forms.

First page is also a nice reminder that all of BB's crew will likely have Devil Fruit reveals when they pop back up. I wonder if Stronger will get a fruit ability as well.

catagon87

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder if Stronger will get a fruit ability as well.
It’d be awesome if he got something like the “strong strong” fruit that actually makes him stronger, so he’s not so flimsy anymore.