Info - Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament II - Information & Discussion | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Shin Prince of Tennis Tournament II - Information & Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
Well, against Hirakoba, Fuji didn't have those things, no evolved triple counter, no cord balls, no 5th counter, no 6th counter, the only thing he had during that match that he didn't have against Jirou was Kagero Zutsumi, and he didn't need it to return Habu. The gap between the Fuji that played against Jirou and the one that played against Hirakoba was quite negligible.
Actually it depends on what you would state his said improvement was based around when he beat Kirihara.
Was all that hype he was given about completely surpassing Tezuka just about his Closed Eye state?
Or was that genuinely Fuji they were saying had surpassed Tezuka? If you get what I mean.
They never really specified despite the former being implied.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Yeah, I see what you're talking about. I'd say it's actually kind of both. On a real power level, I'd say it included the CE state (like how he saw the flag after the match and that's what pushed him - I'd actually compare his CE state in that match to after he got serious against Shiraishi maybe?), but as a signal to the reader he was supposed to be stronger.

Basically I'd say he wouldn't have won against Regionals!Tezuka without CE, but he was portrayed as stronger if that makes sense. But yeah, I'd compare CE in that match to his serious state against Shiraishi I guess. So in context of our discussion, I'd say the Fuji in the Higa match was weaker than the one against Rikkai.

Hardy

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Basque Country
When you put it that way, Kikumaru seems better than Prefecturals!Ryoma. But its also the Ryoma that beat Akutsu. Like, its the exact same Akutsu.
Is this saying Nationals!Kikumaru and Nationals!Kai > Prefecturals!Akutsu?
Or rather, Kikumaru and Kai > Prefecturals!Akutsu? Since neither Kikumaru nor Kai were given notable improvement in SPoT.
Yeah sure, why not. Almost every important character got a huge buff in the nationals. Players like Jirou didn't get a buff at all and in the Nationals looked very weak even if they shouldn't... I guess Akutsu is one of them too.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Since this will be closed in a day and a half, I figured I'd give my own impressions of the whole tournament as well.

Starting with the planning stages, I decided to try and focus on the first and second rounds more so than the final one as far as close matches were concerned. There were two reasons for that, firstly it's safer than having to hope for the "right" people to advance, secondly, while the finals are supposed to be the most exciting matches, they're just 1/7 of the whole tournament.

As such, I attempted to make the block matches as even as possible and then focused on arranging the blocks in a way that would make for interesting semi finals for the majority of possible combinations.
Maybe the greatest unknown variable for both singles and doubles for me was Momoshiro in this regard, as I wasn't sure how highly everyone would value his Black Jack Knife by now. Also, I restricted myself a bit with the choice of characters overall and at least in singles I wanted to avoid having the same type of player (which is why Yanagi wasn't in the high tier group), and I also decided not to use any pure power players for reasons everyone should be aware of.

Moving on to the matches themselves, high tier played out about the way I expected it to, although I thought more people would argue for Shiraishi against Yamato.
Low tier on the other hand went completely against my expectations. Instead of Kikumaru, Hirakoba and Akutagawa winning their first round matches, they dropped out right away, especially the amount of votes Hiyoshi got over the course of the tournament surprised me.
I can't really say anything about the doubles matches in this section since I went into them without any elaborate predictions.

As far as activity is concerned, I think we did a pretty decent job there since it was at most five or six people arguing at the same time and for that the number of posts isn't bad. One thing I'm definitely going to change next time though is that there won't be any parallel matches anymore. In I believe every round, high tier got discussed for a day and a half to two days, and it was only afterwards that the attention shifted to the other two categories (doubles more so than low tier).
I'm also leaning towards removing low tier as a category for good as even after high tier was done for the day, low tier got very few posts (Kikumaru vs Shishido being the only exception). In exchange, a bigger doubles category should be doable.

That's should cover everything, again thanks everyone for participating and I hope you will be looking forward to the next tournament as well.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm also leaning towards removing low tier as a category for good as even after high tier was done for the day, low tier got very few posts (Kikumaru vs Shishido being the only exception). In exchange, a bigger doubles category should be doable.
Gosh no.
Low tier was like that only because it ran parallel with High tier.
Immediately after, we always took it to the Tournament general discussion thread for ages.
In fact, scope this thread, and you'll find in here is mostly Low tier.

Low tier are just as interesting to me and I reckon I'm not alone on that one.
Great characters, and basically PoT's most loveable ones are in the Low tier section like Kikumaru, Akutagawa, Sengoku, Shishido, Kamio etc.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I believe the only low tier match that was really discussed in here after it was over was Shishido vs Kikumaru (which I already noted as an exception), although we went on a few tangents.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I believe the only low tier match that was really discussed in here after it was over was Shishido vs Kikumaru (which I already noted as an exception), although we went on a few tangents.
I disagree, Hiyoshi was discussed a lot here. Akutagawa was discussed here too.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
That was only because of the reveal that Akutagawa is actually Hyoutei's No. 2, not something you can count on happening again.

-Ken-

Reaction score
Country
Thailand
Yeah sure, why not. Almost every important character got a huge buff in the nationals. Players like Jirou didn't get a buff at all and in the Nationals looked very weak even if they shouldn't... I guess Akutsu is one of them too.
I don't think Kikumaru would come close bring 6-4 score against Ryoma. I don't think he'll even get 6-4 against Akutsu, who lost to Ryoma. And which, Hiyoshi manage to get.

Ninomiya

Intl Translator
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I don't think Kikumaru would come close bring 6-4 score against Ryoma. I don't think he'll even get 6-4 against Akutsu, who lost to Ryoma. And which, Hiyoshi manage to get.
We're talking Nationals!Kikumaru VS Prefecturals!Ryoma here.
Kikumaru knows him too well to let the Twist Serve rape him imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.