Shounen - Undead Unluck | Page 56 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Undead Unluck

lexx

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Guessing Fuuko's going to try to change the manifestation of unfeel to be a voluntary targeting thing, allowing the Union to fight Sol without pause due to injury.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Phil actually getting an arc.....every week I'm genuinely blown away by how good the writing has been in this second loop.
I think the pacing in this chapter was a bit too fast. Also Billy is way too good. How is he mastering all these abilities so quickly...

With the new interpretation of Unfair he is really overpowered now.

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I think the pacing in this chapter was a bit too fast. Also Billy is way too good. How is he mastering all these abilities so quickly...

With the new interpretation of Unfair he is really overpowered now.
He's mastered Untell and I still don't understand the new Untell. :XD

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Nico the GOAT. Loved his reactions this chapter to the Phil thing, felt very in character with him, both from a Science angle and a character angle.

@Demonspeed Kinda sad this thread isn't as active :(. I wish we had our own section like Jujutsu Kaisen has. Maybe an anime will help us gain more popularity.

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Nico the GOAT. Loved his reactions this chapter to the Phil thing, felt very in character with him, both from a Science angle and a character angle.

@Demonspeed Kinda sad this thread isn't as active :(. I wish we had our own section like Jujutsu Kaisen has. Maybe an anime will help us gain more popularity.
I’m genuinely surprised this one isn’t more popular. The problem, seemingly, with more inventive stories like this is they’re less relatable than the “ordinary kid without magic abilities succeeds in a fantasy world through sheer grit” type stuff that composed most shonen titles.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I’m genuinely surprised this one isn’t more popular. The problem, seemingly, with more inventive stories like this is they’re less relatable than the “ordinary kid without magic abilities succeeds in a fantasy world through sheer grit” type stuff that composed most shonen titles.
Also the whole Andy being a sex offender thing in the beginning seems to have turned people away. I have to admit, those first five or so chapters were annoying to get through with him on like, every panel :-_-

Gina was always my favorite girl in the series, cant even put it into words how glad I am she has become such a main character in this second loop. Even nobodies like Creed and Yusai are getting more focus this arc which has shocked me a lot.
With most shonen you usually see the rest of the cast fade away into oblivion as the story arcs pile up. Here the rest of the cast is becoming more and more important with each new chapter. Such a brilliant experience to follow weekly :amuse

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Also the whole Andy being a sex offender thing in the beginning seems to have turned people away. I have to admit, those first five or so chapters were annoying to get through with him on like, every panel :-_-

Gina was always my favorite girl in the series, cant even put it into words how glad I am she has become such a main character in this second loop. Even nobodies like Creed and Yusai are getting more focus this arc which has shocked me a lot.
With most shonen you usually see the rest of the cast fade away into oblivion as the story arcs pile up. Here the rest of the cast is becoming more and more important with each new chapter. Such a brilliant experience to follow weekly :amuse
Heh, never considered that. Then again, I was raised on shit like "Love Hina" so the stuff Andy pulled didn't even raise an eyebrow for me.

Gangster Gastino

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
When the anime gets 10 episodes in this gonna get real big, pretty much once they join up with Union and start doing missions is when the popularity will grow exponentially

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
It's good to have that mindset but Nico should know the dark side of science...

Three people for the mission this time huh? And none of the new recruits besides Creed. I wonder if the others will have to take on a quest since the "Rescue Phil" mission isn't one of them.

I found it funny when Fuuko said Gina isn't going because she needs to rest. She is too broken :lmao.

Heh, never considered that. Then again, I was raised on shit like "Love Hina" so the stuff Andy pulled didn't even raise an eyebrow for me.
People like to complain about anything now it's insane.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
A Gina-Sean team up was the last thing I expected to see in this manga :XD

Fun chapter. That bit where the weight kept on going up and down and they thought it was an Uma, lmao :lmao

Nie Li

Marine Hunter
Reaction score
Country
Spain
I like the weight that side characters keep getting, it's the good part to omnipotent Andy being missing for so long. I hope Billy, Shen and Feng also get to shine later on and develop their abilities further (and Nico whenever he awakens his power). Best bois.

The only thing that bugs me this chapter is that Fuuko and Nico really hadn't planned for anything right after arriving to outer space. lol

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I like the weight that side characters keep getting, it's the good part to omnipotent Andy being missing for so long. I hope Billy, Shen and Feng also get to shine later on and develop their abilities further (and Nico whenever he awakens his power). Best bois.

The only thing that bugs me this chapter is that Fuuko and Nico really hadn't planned for anything right after arriving to outer space. lol
Agreed, IMHO it's sloppy writing that Fuuko's plan basically fails at literally the moment they reach the space station.
//what this means is that Gina's un-change is so OP she basically breaks the plot, so there's needs to be reasons to nerf her power.

An interesting new spin on Unseen's potential here. His ability, unseen, is starting to behave more like (and I hate to use Bleach as a comparison here) that very inventive Quincy, "Vanishing Point" Guenael Lee. Expanding his interpretation of Unseen to even indirect detection via mass is a step in the direction of erasing his entire corporeal existence - and those he touches. If he were able to expand his ability in the same way that "Vanishing Point" uses in Bleach, a plausible victory at Ragnarok could be Unseen using his ability to make the entire Earth and all of Humanity vanish from the awareness and even memories of "God". Such a victory would, in a funny way, kind of fit his character - who yearns to be seen but succeeds in saving everyone simply by accepting anonymity.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Gina couldn't be kept out of the arc after all :lmao.

It's cool but maybe she is really overdoing it and will suffer the consequences in this arc.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Sean what are you trying to do... :handgun

I guess he is the one who helped them.

Seeing a mosaic with Andy missing felt weird :XD.

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not super impressed with "Entruster" being basically another "Rebellion" artifact. It gives "power" but takes the feelings and body of the person wielding it, whereas Rebellion takes your life and converts negative emotions into power.

If you can't think of something interesting don't just copy another artifact, author!

Hrathgrath

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not super impressed with "Entruster" being basically another "Rebellion" artifact. It gives "power" but takes the feelings and body of the person wielding it, whereas Rebellion takes your life and converts negative emotions into power.

If you can't think of something interesting don't just copy another artifact, author!
You have a point.. It seems like it was "designed" to be countered. Like, Moon makes this badass artifact "Powered by feelings!", but Sun goes "Great. But only unfeel can use it.*gives Moon a razz" 😝

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I’m quite fond of this series but I will say that the author’s treatment of it is uneven. Too much of it was “how’s Andy going to use Fuuko to nocliphax this particular encounter?”

Second major arc was probably the “Fuuko finding her own voice” story. Between willingly going with Under, to journeying into Andy’s past, to empathizing with Spring, Fuuko kind of had her arc there.

Then a bunch of it was a refreshingly fun and light “time traveller Fuuko assembles a crew” - funny enough that the crew assembly portion is what, half the fun of heist movies? But this section is getting long in the tooth and not particularly rewarding, emotionally. Maybe it’s just me but cyborg Pinocchio having feelings like a real boy isn’t particularly resonating.

hopefully the next few negators Fuuko saves will have better stories. The author is already telegraphing how they’re going to remove Gina from play - she just got burned, and badly, by touching unfeel during re-entry. So Trip and Top won’t have unchange to invisible wall their lover and friends respectively.

Admiral Teach

Reaction score
Country
Water Tribe
I would still have preferred a totally different world. Like one that still has dinosaurs. I'm telling you, it would have been wild. Or start with some of Fuuko's past, since she has had some adventures back then, surely. And why not acquire Round Table members earlier? They will all die off of old age, if she keeps them alive through the quests, and could have had many, many things in the bag by the time she encounters her old comrades. Guess she didn't want to chance it but... yeah... it still makes sense she'd want to. Then again, I think once the quests start... they kind of keep going by force?

My hope is that Andy handled the horrific traumas of looping worse than Victor and he is now basically Sun's right hand. Especially now that he's guaranteed death by Sun.

lexx

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ahahaha so Unfeel's artifact turned him into a real boy. Well, one with Terminator T-1000 or maybe Inspector Gadget level shape transformations and high speed regeneration when he eats...like a real boy. So his physical abilities are now "whatever the plot demands", and his limits are "whatever the plot demands" and his weaknesses are none. I'm sorry author, this is sloppy writing. I know the whole "negator" rule set has an entertaining balance between expectations and unpredictability, but I can't help but think you hit a writer's block when it came to "Unfeel" negator and "Entrust" artifact.

Unfortunate, because "Unfeel" as a concept could have some really cool plot effects, manipulating characters' motivations and enemy's perceptions or emotions. Imagine if everyone could fight Sol without their sense of touch, heat, pain limiting them, or if suddenly Unruin's fanatic devotion to God and/or bloodlust was negated at a critical moment, making them ineffective in a fight.

Funny enough I'm actually super excited about the martial arts tournament plot, and martial arts tournaments are USUALLY a shitty "I'm out of ideas" moment in shonen manga. Shen's a really fun character, and I feel like Feng will be an absolutely outstanding addition to the team, which is most likely going to be what Fuuko demands as the prize for defeating him. Feng DID live up to his end of the bargain: become the strongest man on earth, so Fuuko's making good on hers: reward him with another fight. Let's hope that Feng also took Shen in and trained him like Fuuko instructed.

Also, in a martial arts tournament, Billy's going to absolutely dominate. His own combat abilities, plus all the abilities of the other negators whose strength he's acknowledged? Dude's a BEAST.

Update: *chef's kiss* love today's (2023/06/11) chapter. Fantastic all around. More hints at Feng's rehabilitation and conversion to an ally (I guess the first hint was at last loop's Ragnarok when he helped oppose God right at the end). Feng really did raise the kids - changed diapers, made food, trained them both fully. Sure he's been nursing the grudge of 26 years worth of suppressed bloodlust and fully raising two children against his own will, but he's going to get the fight of his life and a future of nothing BUT life or death struggle as a member of the union as reward.

So all of that is obvious and without a single twist. What if the twist were to be that Feng actually becomes a negator? He's tough enough with his artifact(s?) on his own, but if he suddenly became a negator mid-fight that would be a helluva twist.

Not surprised that Shen had the "blink...blink...ok then" disbelief. I also love the explanation at how the other negators all had various degrees of disbelief of Fuuko but went along with her anyway.

Dear lord, talk about trial by fire. Shen's gotta survive unavoidable, undraw, unfair, and unluck, in that order, and then fight Feng. Oh, while charged up with Unluck. I can imagine him besting Void, as he can skip the "unavoidable" effect by aiming counterstrikes instead of trying to dodge. Can't imagine how his fight with Undraw will go...her ability isn't fleshed out well enough for me to imagine how that fight would play out. As for Billy, no chance he'll beat Billy unless he's got Untruth, same with Fuuko.

As for Feng, I'm thinking he won't just have to use Untruth but the interpretation of it will need to expand.

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I just read Chapter 160. If it wasn't for Fuuko's knowledge of the previous loop Gina would be the undisputed MVP of their group. She wasn't even supposed to come, but she saved Phil with her actions.

A martial arts tournament in China right after rescuing Phil? Fuuko looks nice in Chinese clothes.

Interesting bracket :lmao. Pretty much a boss rush for Shen.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

So Mui is a battle genius. I don't remember her being this strong in the previous loop though. Did her talent change in this one?
--- Double Post Merged, ---

I was kinda excited to see Shen VS Billy's fight, but Billy wasn't even trying and the former won simply by knocking him out of the ring.

Mui's talent seems to be the only thing that's changed.

A new trailer got released a few days ago. It's pretty good: