Discussion - Unpopular Opinions | Page 12 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Unpopular Opinions

SleipnirX

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I humbly do see an opportunity, for the return of E.N.D. (Note that this is a personal opinion and that would seem great to me).

There could be a mental meeting between Natsu and E.N.D. (resource used in the world of entertainment), a fight in which the winner takes everything, and I give an example of what happens in the Mortal Kombat X comic:

In these scenes it is shown how Hanzo Hasashi in a mental encounter fights against Scorpion, his spectral counterpart (because the human Hanzo Hasashi died and then was reborn as Scorpion, something similar to Natsu's situation).

I would like something like this to happen between Natsu and E.N.D., it would be very good for Natsu's growth, also to control those demonic powers much better apart from the dragon ones that he has.

But I repeat, this is a personal desire of how I would handle the situation of E.N.D. which in my opinion would be fine, but we know that each one of the readers of this series therefore have very different ideas and ways of seeing the narrative.

Mashima has the last word and decision on how to carry out the story and at that moment we will see if he convinces us or not.
Hmm, but the trouble I see with this is it requires END to be a full second personality for Natsu, where nothing so far has indicated that is the case. Indeed quite the opposite, Natsu was still Natsu when fighting Gray, he’d just gone berserker mode and was focused on eliminating Zeref. Indeed he still recognised Gray and reacted to Erza stopping the fight. So at the bare minimum this would feel like a last minute retcon of what END is. As far as I can see Natsu is END and has been from the start of the series. For whatever he said about being Human with the seeds, he isn’t, he’s an etherious, the Human Natsu died as an infant hundreds of years ago. If anything Mashima seems to be signalling a new but similar effect from Ignia’s flames, but that’s obviously more likely to be linked to his dragon slayer magic than his demonic origins. Therefore we might get a partial recycling of what Mashima had in mind for END (assuming he was meant to be Natsu under Zeref’s control) with Ignia.

Pablinski

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Bolivia
Hmm, but the trouble I see with this is it requires END to be a full second personality for Natsu, where nothing so far has indicated that is the case. Indeed quite the opposite, Natsu was still Natsu when fighting Gray, he’d just gone berserker mode and was focused on eliminating Zeref. Indeed he still recognised Gray and reacted to Erza stopping the fight. So at the bare minimum this would feel like a last minute retcon of what END is. As far as I can see Natsu is END and has been from the start of the series. For whatever he said about being Human with the seeds, he isn’t, he’s an etherious, the Human Natsu died as an infant hundreds of years ago. If anything Mashima seems to be signalling a new but similar effect from Ignia’s flames, but that’s obviously more likely to be linked to his dragon slayer magic than his demonic origins. Therefore we might get a partial recycling of what Mashima had in mind for END (assuming he was meant to be Natsu under Zeref’s control) with Ignia.
At least I don't see a problem with that, in the case of Scorpion, he was always the same being, only when he became human again he found some peace, Scorpion was his vengeful part that after that mental fight managed to dominate and also dominate hellfire powers

The same thing can happen with Natsu, he and E.N.D. they are the same being, only that the last one is the part that only seeks destruction and burn everything, a fight of those would seek to dominate that destructive part of him.

But I repeat again, this is an idea that at least to me seems like a good way to bring E.N.D. Again, if you and several others don't think so, there's no problem, it's your opinion and it's respected.

Now also what you propose can also be a quite viable option in the event that Mashima wants to recycle the idea of E.N.D., waking up that berserk mode with the power of Ignia can also be an important part in terms of the God-Dragon's plan of fire has in mind for Natsu.

These debates are very interesting, but in the end I hope Mashima comes up with something good and doesn't rush things, we'll discuss it as soon as what Mashima is proposing for this situation happens and we'll see how he carries it out.

Darklord#10

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Gildarts using a name attack to one shot historia god Serena doesn't really mean anything to me. I don't place much emphasis on using named attack to take out somebody

Tirl

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Gildarts using a name attack to one shot historia god Serena doesn't really mean anything to me. I don't place much emphasis on using named attack to take out somebody
Especially when those named attacks look the same as any normal punches. Like Laxus' Roaring Thunder, which he definitely used against Ivan without naming it, or Lightning Bolt against Ajeel

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Especially when those named attacks look the same as any normal punches. Like Laxus' Roaring Thunder, which he definitely used against Ivan without naming it, or Lightning Bolt against Ajeel
I don't know why people place emphasis on them especially in a series like fairy tail
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Why do people place emphasis on it? Natsu and suzaku were using not named attacks for majority of the fight. Kirin wasn't even using any named attacks throughout

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t care about feats because Hiro will sometimes increase some characters power levels faster than other

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I don’t care about feats because Hiro will sometimes increase some characters power levels faster than other
I care about feats. Feats is what many battle debates goes by. When there's statements and zero feats the statement is not credible. Feats a lot of the time shows us how strong a character really is. If we go by the plot setting Mira would be as strong as erza which doesn't make sense because erza has better feats than Mira. Same with gray and gajeel with natsu.

I'm not saying feats is the end all be all but a lot of the times it tells us how strong a character really is but when it comes to fairy tail I understand why people don't use feats. But in this manga everything fucking contradicts everything. Feats portrayals and statement. Look at ignia vs selene and acnologia vs igneel. Acnologia had a tougher time against half dead igneel than ignia with selene. Selene is supposed to be as strong as acnologia but she didn't even do any lasting damage on ignia for now at least. Everything fucking contradicts everything.

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
I care about feats. Feats is what many battle debates goes by. When there's statements and zero feats the statement is not credible. Feats a lot of the time shows us how strong a character really is. If we go by the plot setting Mira would be as strong as erza which doesn't make sense because erza has better feats than Mira. Same with gray and gajeel with natsu.

I'm not saying feats is the end all be all but a lot of the times it tells us how strong a character really is but when it comes to fairy tail I understand why people don't use feats. But in this manga everything fucking contradicts everything. Feats portrayals and statement. Look at ignia vs selene and acnologia vs igneel. Acnologia had a tougher time against half dead igneel than ignia with selene. Selene is supposed to be as strong as acnologia but she didn't even do any lasting damage on ignia for now at least. Everything fucking contradicts everything.
Your right feats do help to know how strong someone is, problem is Hiro in most cases will favor some characters over others which is one of the reasons why characters like Natsu and Ezra have better feats than most. Also I’m not a big fan of comparing recent feats to feats that happened over a year ago

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Your right feats do help to know how strong someone is, problem is Hiro in most cases will favor some characters over others which is one of the reasons why characters like Natsu and Ezra have better feats than most. Also I’m not a big fan of comparing recent feats to feats that happened over a year ago
I agree that mashima definitely favors some characters over others

Kenneth Latorre

Reaction score
Country
United States
Selene is awsome

Selene is supposed to be as strong as acnologia but she didn't even do any lasting damage on ignia for now at least. Everything fucking contradicts everything.
The fuck you even talking about?

Not only is Selene holding the number 1 feat in the series, which elevated the god tiers to at least Moon Level, she also was only fucked by Ignias breath attack. Prior to that, she was doing equally good against ignia. Were the fight to stop there, she would be completely fine.

Stop overthinking shit just cause. Sometimes it's y'all who are nonsensical.

WoWfan

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
Selene is awsome

The fuck you even talking about?

Not only is Selene holding the number 1 feat in the series, which elevated the god tiers to at least Moon Level, she also was only fucked by Ignias breath attack. Prior to that, she was doing equally good against ignia. Were the fight to stop there, she would be completely fine.

Stop overthinking shit just cause. Sometimes it's y'all who are nonsensical.
actually when you look at RoT Acno and FH Zeref, they hold the spot for that with infinite magic power and eating an entire dimension of magic, Zeref being able to destroy an entire universe to create a new one.

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I will never respect mashima's portrayals. I sincerely believe that feats is the absolute best judge of a fight in fairy tail power scaling.

Ratrace

Reaction score
Country
United States
I will never respect mashima's portrayals. I sincerely believe that feats is the absolute best judge of a fight in fairy tail power scaling.
Personally don’t like either one of them but if I had to pick one it would be feats because Mashima contradicts his portrayals almost all the time

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
For me, established rules are the prime factor for me over feats or portrayals as that is what makes any form of power scaling understandable.

sree

Reaction score
Country
India
In FT guild, Mashima follows certain set of rules like no one can surpass S class. He has maintained that status quo till now. And if at all someone reach above S class, it will be undoubtedly Natsu and most likely not others. Gildarts may not have feats for now. But it is highly probable that Mashima still makes him OP and the strongest in the guild.

So the best approach is to have a balanced way of looking at things.

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I mean things like magic rules, like how individuals can’t change the rules of physics and such without new research, societal standards can change overtime.

SleipnirX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I mean things like magic rules, like how individuals can’t change the rules of physics and such without new research, societal standards can change overtime.
I guess you basically mean a hard magic system? Yes, as someone who generally prefers soft magic systems in literature, for a series like this you 100% need a hard system, with clear, set rules. The rules can occasionally be subverted or twisted, but this has to be sparing, usually part of a clever tactic, and it’s best if there’s a real consequence to doing so. Certainly at this point Fairy Tail’s magic is much more of a soft system, it’s very vague on how exactly it works, and the early ground rules have been long disregarded. That makes writing it a lot easier as whatever needs to happen can just be fudged, and as long as it looks cool people might overlook it to an extent, but it’s so far gone it all just constantly feels like asspull, retcon, convenience, deus ex etc. Dragonslayers’ magic was the worst offender in the original series, but now Wendy’s enchantments have started rivalling it.

Darklord#10

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Erza is a Mary Sue

Nobody reads fairy tail for fights or plots, people read it for ships and fan service for wanking. It's the only thing keeping this series alive and
@grey matter is right this series is barely a battle Shounen.... the mangaka rather focuses on drawing Lucy in lewd positions and erza in fan service rubbish than give satisfying fights. Tbh I even removed fairy tail from my top 5 animanga recently I just can't take it seriously anymore. It's a joke.
Erza fanboys are so annoying
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Power scaling discussion and power levels discussion isn't meant for everyone. They should just keep to their ships and fan service stuff

WoWfan

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
FT Discussions should be civil and not based on antagonism.