Discussion - What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I read two volumes of Spice & Wolf and now I'm going back to Mahouka, until Nine Schools Competition arc ending, if everything goes well. Spice & Wolf is very nice; Holo, principally, and Lawrence are very good characters, I'm gonna resume the reading later.

My problem is that I can't continue reading the same thing for a long time. SAO was my longest. XD

Last edited:

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I was recommended 珈琲店タレーランの事件簿 (Coffee-ten Tareeran no Jikenbo) by Takuma Okazaki and Otomodachikara Onegaishimasu by Shion Miura.

They were recommended by a Japanese friend who has a lot of common interests with me so I'm definitely willing to give the two novels a try.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Started reading The Unexplored Summon://Blood-Sign, a new LN by Kamachi.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I read the first chapter of DOWL Masters today.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I read the first chapter of DOWL Masters today.
How is it?

---

Read the 2nd chapter of the Into Illusion BL Light Novel releasing by suBLime manga here. Pretty good thought really light on the BL this time. More focused on developing the plot of the tragedy, death mystery and magic powers, and the survivors parents jealousy.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
How is it?
It's OK.

Chapter 0 introduced the major characters, who are teen soldiers. The male MC is the type who lacks self confidence, the following translated parts are not focused on him but on his sister, the other female MC and world building. It seems there is another male MC but he did nothing significant yet.

Chapter 1 and a part of Chapter 2 are here.

---------- Post added November 23, 2014 at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was November 12, 2014 at 01:27 PM ----------

I caught up with Mushoku Tensei. Started reading DanMachi today.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bought Accel World v2, reading it now. Mecha battles are so hard to visualize a bit in the light novel form though since I watched the anime, I just inserted Sunrise mecha visuals while reading his meeting of Scarlet Rain.

---------- Post added December 09, 2014 at 12:09 PM ---------- Previous post was December 01, 2014 at 12:24 PM ----------

Finished v3 of Mokushiroku Arisu.

Fantastic volume, good twists and good friendships. I love the action and character development/interaction ratio.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Finished v3 of Mokushiroku Arisu.

Fantastic volume, good twists and good friendships. I love the action and character development/interaction ratio.
I know it might not be good to compare a LN with a manga but since it's by the same author, how is it compared to Seraph of the End? I just have to catch up with Mondaijitachi and complete Oregairu Vol 3 and I will have nothing to read.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I know it might not be good to compare a LN with a manga but since it's by the same author, how is it compared to Seraph of the End? I just have to catch up with Mondaijitachi and complete Oregairu Vol 3 and I will have nothing to read.
I like how in the v3 afterward he did take a line or two to say how he is learning from writing the Seraph of the End manga in 45 pages (or 20 pages of script) and using that experience to really help to make the Mokushiroku Arisu pacing faster paced than how he previously wrote books. I like it, and he does good descriptions in the LN.

I think some plot elements of both series share similar aspects, like character interactions and comedy. Both feel well paced too.

He's one of my favorite writers so I think both series are great. Check our the LN, its written in first person though and lots of short sentences, which sometimes turns people off.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I like how in the v3 afterward he did take a line or two to say how he is learning from writing the Seraph of the End manga in 45 pages (or 20 pages of script) and using that experience to really help to make the Mokushiroku Arisu pacing faster paced than how he previously wrote books. I like it, and he does good descriptions in the LN.

I think some plot elements of both series share similar aspects, like character interactions and comedy. Both feel well paced too.

He's one of my favorite writers so I think both series are great. Check our the LN, its written in first person though and lots of short sentences, which sometimes turns people off.
I started reading it, it is very easy to read, even more than Rokka no Yuusha, as you said the pace is fast, it's good so far, the obligation to make friends and the age-limited labyrinths made me think of ONS and the disease affecting people.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished what was available of Overlord. Pretty good, it was better at the beginning than toward the end. Mainly because the protagonist was seeming less and less sympathetic.

Next up are going to be some recommendations from Demonseed and perspherspley.

• Mahouka
  • Re: Monster
  • The Zombie Knight

Also going to give a try to the light novels of some anime that caught my eye.

• To Aru Majutsu no Index
  • Tokyo Ravens

Last edited:

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I started The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor today.

Slowly but surely I am catching up with SAO...

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just finished 7 volumes of Re: Monster. I'll probably stop there with that one. As the story went on it seemed like it became more and more apparent what a terrible person the main character is.

Also finished the 1st volume of Mahouka and am about halfway through the 2nd. It's pretty different from the anime in the sense that Tatsuya has a lot more personality. I'm liking that a lot. The sister, Miyuki, is also an order of magnitude creeper... and I'm liking that too.:amuse

Decided to add Tate no Yuusha no Narigari to my "to read" pile and am considering adding Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai

animalia

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently reading Vampire Hunter D, the Toaru franchise, and Absolute Duo. I am also working on translating Slayers Special, and Look For Avenir

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Found a light novel I've taken a quite a liking to that's actually being published in English.

Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?
Japanese Title (Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka)

It's something I knew a little bit about having read some of the manga adaptation(which is good but much like Mahouka's anime doesn't quite capture the MC's personality) but the novel really impressed me. Of the RPG setting fantasy novels I've read this is a clear favorite.

The basic plot goes that a downtrodden kid/wannabe adventurer who gets taken in by an equally down on her luck goddess. She decides to make him the first member of her Familia. Which is kinda like wizards guilds in Fairy Tail but each one is centered around a God. The adventurer(s) handle adventure the gods handle leveling them up through managing their blessings in the form of a skill tattoos on their backs. The world makes sense. The characters are an entertaining bunch. I've found a lot to like with this story.

I hope a lot more of these light novels get English publication. $7.99 is a little on the expensive side for the average digital book but I'd happily pay that to read some of these stories with consistent translations and improved editing. I hope Yen Press keeps it up.

Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Planning to start Magical Index this weekend. Should be getting v2 in the mail today so I dont want to fall too bar behind the english releases and have the books stack up.

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
I am planning to start reading Kino no Tabi soon. I had never heard about it before last week, but someone recommended it to me in case I want to read something come-of-ageish.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright started Accel World v3. Forgot that Kawahara books always have a slowish start, compared to other LN writers.

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I started reading Tenkyou no Alderamin.

shaheer

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I m reading Zhan Long and Mo tian Ji(gravity translation) and hope to restart God of thunder(putty translation) soon.