Discussion - What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Since Wowzers introduced me to Wuxia world, and chinese webnovel translations, I've realized I'm just going to have to give up on sleep altogether. I've read so much...and there is so much more. It's both glorious and hopeless at the same time.

Am up to date on..
- Against the Gods (so awesome)

I plan to read...
- Tales of Demons and Gods
- Panlong
- Battle Through the Heavens
(maybe)

It's surprising how much easier it is to read the Chinese webnovel translantions over the Japanese ones. I expected them to be kind of similar it quality but the Wuxia is a lot more readable.

azanimefan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
What I've read/finished
Mushoku Tensei
Full metal panic
Coiling Dragon

What I'm reading
Overlord
Index
Sword art online
mahouka koukou no rettousei
'Monogatari
Against the gods
I shall seal the heavens
A Tale of demons and gods

Probably forgetting something; on the whole the Chinese and Korean LNs I've seen get much better translations and much faster then the Japanese.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm finally coming up from the Wuxia and Xianxia rabbit hole. The final tally of those that I managed to get up to date on and that I am 100% sure I will keep reading are..

- Against the Gods
- Long Live Summons
- A Tale of Demons and Gods
- Otherworldly Evil Monarch

Next on my reading list is Highschool DxD

And I'm still thinking about picking up No Game No Life but haven't pulled the trigger on it for some reason. I guess it's just hard to image how the light novel could compare to the anime. Can anyone tell me how it holds up?

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
DxD... Every time I think about reading ti when a new season starts but I start something else... Probably won't start this before a while...

As usual LNs are better to understand the characters and for world building. Steph and Jibril benefit a lot from this especially but it's the case for less important characters too. They spent more effort on the siblings but I'd say that it's with Sora and their relationships in general that they did a good job, although it's not perfect, my impression of Shiro completely changed while reading the LN. It's still crazy awesome with tactics and stuff.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
DxD... Every time I think about reading ti when a new season starts but I start something else... Probably won't start this before a while...

As usual LNs are better to understand the characters and for world building. Steph and Jibril benefit a lot from this especially but it's the case for less important characters too. They spent more effort on the siblings but I'd say that it's with Sora and their relationships in general that they did a good job, although it's not perfect, my impression of Shiro completely changed while reading the LN. It's still crazy awesome with tactics and stuff.
DxD is pretty intimidating to start reading when you realize how freaking huge it is. On my kindle it's like 5000 pages, which means about 2500 pages by normal novel standards. That's a hell of a lot of ecchi... even for me.:p

Glad to hear the novel holds up. That's probably going to be the next light novel I go for.

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Personally, one of many reason for me to read the the LN series is because of their stories and arcs.
  1. Madan no Ou to Vanadis (aka Lord Marksman and Vanadis)
  2. High School DXD
  3. Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut
  4. Hybrid X Heart Magic Academy
  5. Kou 1 Desu ga Isekai de Joshu Hajimashita
  6. Legend

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
How is Madan no Ou to Vanadis? I really liked the anime and had no idea it was a light novel.

Chingaruna517

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
How is Madan no Ou to Vanadis? I really liked the anime and had no idea it was a light novel.
Well, Madan no Ou to Vanadis is actually a light novel series and it packed more details event than that of the Manga and Anime adaptation. The light novel adaptation is interesting because it provide a detailed story in every arc, as well of how are the Vanadises interaction with Tigre even deeper. BTW, for the longtime readers of the series, the Light Novel counterpart has already reaches Arc Three (Current Saga).

Imperium

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Heard and McDonald Islands
Since Wowzers introduced me to Wuxia world, and chinese webnovel translations, I've realized I'm just going to have to give up on sleep altogether. I've read so much...and there is so much more. It's both glorious and hopeless at the same time.
Ahaha glorious and hopeless is the best description. I almost coughed up a mouth full of blood.

I just came out of a similar xianxia binge. Dropped everything besides I shall seal the heavens, World of Cultivation and Douluo Dalu. I think I reached a tipping point with all that xianxia, binged so much till I couldn't see anything but the tropes. In any case, a few of the ones I dropped (ATG, Martial God Asura, Tales of Demons and Gods etc) I will probably catch up with once they are fully translated, not really holding up much hope they become better plots but you never know. The writers might cultivate their writing and open their writing meridians.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Completed the first volume of Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku a few hours ago. Reading Sword Oratoria's first volume right now.nWIll catch up with MGRP's translations after this. And there is Re:Zero.

Leoat12

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I just read Sword Art Online Progressive vol. 4, sensational as expected. Now I'm reading Seraph of the End Catastrophe at Sixteen vol.3. I'm also reading Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Sword Oratoria vol.1, which has been better than the main story. XD
I plan to read Re:zero vol.2 after Seraph of the End. The Isolator vol.3 will be next when it arrives.
I will try to read Outbreak Company entirely in Japanese during my vacation.
Long list. XD

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I caught up with Mahoiku current translations and fell in love with it. The next volumes are much better than the first one.

animalia

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D
Kaze No Stigma
Toaru Kagaku No Railgun SS
Kyoukai Senjou No Horizon

Saithan

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I'm reading The spear master and the black cat. It's a pretty crude story, and somewhat longwinded.

I have noticed that many manga and LN that evolves around being transfered to another world and getting upgraded with weird powers is trending currently.

animalia

Reaction score
Country
United States
Vampire Hunter D
&
Chrome Shelled Regios

Venior

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been hooked reading and re-reading Overlord LN. I'm so impatient while I wait for volume 12 to come out.

khouji

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm reading the "Tales of Demons and Gods"

Venior

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm reading the "Tales of Demons and Gods"

How is it? I've been meaning to get into it but never had the time.

I glanced at the manga earlier and it looked like something I might enjoy.

Phileos

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm reading Chivalry of a Failed Knight over and over again... it's just hyped
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
How is it? I've been meaning to get into it but never had the time.

I glanced at the manga earlier and it looked like something I might enjoy.
It's very nice. It has a good storyline and pretty op main character in general. Just to clarify; I never read the manga, I speak based on the novel that I've read.

LightYagami563

Reaction score
Country
England
I'm reading the Saga of Evil Tanya by Carlo Zen. It's amazing! :D