Discussion - What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List | Page 5 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What Light Novels are You Reading, What is Next on Your List

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Got Reki Kawahara's The Isolator today, was surprised it was hardcover.

animalia

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently reading Owari No Chronicle

SharkBait

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finished reading Kawahara's THE ISOLATOR. Cant wait for v2 eventually.

Good third story from him. No relation at all to SAO and apart from just the subconscious based generation of the Eye ability, it had no similarity to Accel World either. I think its his strongest written story yet and its quite unique and actiony. Main characters shield was impressive for a lead too, you dont see a defensive lead character these days.

Inspector fan

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Finished Log Horizon vol 1 and preordered Vol 2, but up next is Spice and Wolf vol 1!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been reading Konjiki no Word Master.

It's actually pretty good. I had tried a bunch of other highschool kid transported to a fantasy realm ones and most of them didn't really tickle my fancy. Death March and Arefura to name a few. I think Konjiki caught me because the main character is just a really entertaining and weird guy; and because the series does a good job at laughing at itself.

Demonspeed

The Hero of the Trojan War
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Just have to catch up with the translation of some LNs I am reading already and I will start Gekitotsu no Hexennacht. I have always wanted to try one of works, since this one is new it's the perfect opportunity, maybe it'll motivate me enough to read the others... :eyeroll Also wanted to read a good SF series.

Machi-tan

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright so i just got to the halfway point of Rokka no yuusha... and i love it.

Anyone have any good recommendations for Fantasy/action light novels ? It'd take a good thriller/mystery one also.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Alright so i just got to the halfway point of Rokka no yuusha... and i love it.

Anyone have any good recommendations for Fantasy/action light novels ? It'd take a good thriller/mystery one also.
There are so many LNs of this genre translated that I don't read but among those I read:

Danmachi
Mahouka
Mondaijitachi
NGNL(more of a fantasy though)
Apocalypse Alice
Mushoku Tensei
Index

I am planning to read Seirei Tsukai and DxD as well but I have not started yet. Alice, Mushoku and Danmachi are the simplest to read IMO.

Last edited:

Machi-tan

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are so many LNs of this genre translated that I don't read but among those I read:

Danmachi
Mahouka
Mondaijitachi
NGNL(more of a fantasy though)
Apocalypse Alice
Mushoku Tensei
Index

I am planning to read Seirei Tsukai and DxD as well but I have not started yet. Alice, Mushoku and Danmachi are the simplest to read IMO.
I actually just downloaded Danmachi for my Kindle! I loved the anime, and the manga was taking forever to update, then i found out there was a Light novel. And i figured eh... why not?

The others definitely look good. No game no life is on the list, i loved the anime adaptation, too bad we don't seem to be getting a season 2 because of the copy right situation.

The other's i haven't heard of but I look forward to reading them. Thanks for the list.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I love Danmachi.

The cool thing about the novels is that they always show the stats of people. Which as an RPG nerd I just eat up.

raz3x

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Reading:

• Mahouka (15th volume) - I like the fact that magic has an actual explanation, it makes Tatsuya even more badass, and those info dumps, damn, call me weird but I love them info dumps hahaha.

• Hataraku Maou-sama (2nd volume) - This was the shit back then, one of the funniest anime I've ever watched. Sometimes it has a serious approach, but nothing that would ruin the experience if it's a comedy you're looking for. So if you want a good laugh, this is a must read.

• Oregairu (10th volume) - Great slice of life with some real character development, picked it up for the sake of a more detailed experience. Watch Batman first for the best experience.

• Rakudai Kishi no Eiyuutan (3rd volume) - A High school setting with aspiring magical knights, MC meets heroine half-naked (trouble) but they eventually get close afterwards. It looks like your generic shit at first, and in a way it is, but who said generic can't be good. MC gains some points for not being as dull as... well, there's a lot of them, not worth mentioning. And also, points for actual romance (if you're into that kinda stuff).

Plan to Read:

• Overlord - Looks pretty neat, and I've heard the anime has been greatly adapted so far which gives me a good idea of how it's gonna be.

• Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari - Manga has little content even though still ongoing, so I plan on reading it soon.

• Koten-bu Series - Because Hyouka...

Zasz

Bishoujo Collector
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Marine Headquarters
I'm still sticking with Highschool DXD, but after the latest anime, I might start Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry and some others.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Will start Youjo Senki this week now that a team picked it up :zomg .

Niffer

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a terrible person and although I have a mountain of light novels on my shelf , I've never been able to finish one! They're super cheap in Japan so I keep buying the ones I want to read but then get distracted by something else. I'm slowly working my way through Maoyuu: Mao to Yuusha, (and it's a fantastic read!) but I'm tempted to translate it into English I love it so much. Most of the light novels I do own have already been picked up and translated by Yen Press, but I don't feel like I can read those until I've read the originals ><

I'm hoping that reading threads and what other people are reading here will motivate me to carry on reading and actually finish a novel!

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
You can do it Niffer!

I recommend a nice cup of tea. When I make myself some tea I can't help but want to sit down and read something with it. Before I know it the teas gone and the book's done.

The last light novels I read were the Yen Presses translations of Danmachi and I'm looking forward to the new one that comes out this month. It's just such a light and fun read. Very shounen in a way that appeals to me.

Mahouka was another big time page turner for me too but I'm stuck in limbo on that one since I was reading the fan translations and Yen Press is way behind where I was.

Demonspeed

Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
I planned to read Horizon later but I started it already. I thought it would be harder to start but it's surprisingly easy to read, the world building is amazing.

I Am Atomic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Reading right now:
Tales of Demon and Gods [TDG]
I Shall Seal the Heavens [ISSTH]
Against the Gods [ATG]

Planning on reading:
Coiling Dragon
Martial God Asura

I recommend these guys. Best website to read this is: http://www.wuxiaworld.com/

Sky

Otaku Overlord
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Finished the first 3 volumes of NGNL recently.

At the moment I am reading Danmachi and Strike the Blood at the same time.

In the near future I finally wanna start SAO, Accel World and Index.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
The series I'm actively reading are...

- DanMachi
- Mahouka
- Konjiki no Word Master
- Overlord

I'd like to read No Game No Life next but I have quite a long reading list so it will probably be a little while.

Saithan

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
I'm reading 35th test platoon, on volume 4 atm. It's pretty good, and have to say it's really light reading.