Voting Round 3 - Yakusoku no Neverland vs. One-Punch Man | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Yakusoku no Neverland vs. One-Punch Man

Who wins?

• Yakusoku no Neverland

• One-Punch Man

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady pompom

Hell Kaiser Ryo
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
He's trying to hurt my feelings Asia-chan. But it's not going to work because my heart was already broken when @Sky betrayed me.:emocat
There, there

Let's make a good campaign for One Punch man. And @Vici-san Tatsumaki has to come among the pics because she's one of the strongest heroes, you know in both tsundere cuteness and power.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
One Punch Man gets my vote.
Better Art
Better Characters
Better Comedy
Superior Subversiveness
Superior Action

One packaged experience that will leave you wondering why you even read something as bad as Neverland in the first place.
>Better Art

Hahahahaha...no.

No seriously, OPM looks worse than Homestuck when it comes to visuals.

My vote is for TPN.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyway I really enjoying the among of Tatsumaki pics in OPM threads :heh
Too much?

We aim to please here in the OPM fanart thread (*Thread name stolen*). Pick your poison. Would you prefer more Genos, Fubuki, or Sonic? Or perhaps some fresh ensemble pieces?

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
>Better Art

Hahahahaha...no.

No seriously, OPM looks worse than Homestuck when it comes to visuals.

My vote is for TPN.
Madam....please. Neverland looks like the dream of a pedophile on an acid trip. My little brother can draw better "art" then that.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I'll vote later in the round. I am leaning toward TPN mainly because I was one of the Vagabitches last round and felt bad for not supporting TPN's campaign.

But remorse is fleeting and I've seen Fubuki... so anything can happen! Plus Jammin's been solid all war too.

• I like OPM's cast more than TPN's
  • OPM is funnier
  • TPN is more thrilling
  • OPM has better hype
  • OPM would have better art (but not by much)
  • TPN has a story and a world worth talking about...
..this isn't easy for me.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
Reaction score
Country
India
Going with TPN because of it's dark and mysterious plot and also because of my strategic alliance with Erin chan.

Sky

Otaku Overlord
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Too much?

We aim to please here in the OPM fanart thread (*Thread name stolen*). Pick your poison. Would you prefer more Genos, Fubuki, or Sonic? Or perhaps some fresh ensemble pieces?
You know exactly what I want. :hurr

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Better art ? But the original OPM art-wise is...
Murata has just been redrawing it. I enjoy OPM its fun... and thats all, its just an enjoyable superhero parody, with nothing that exceptional. Yeah good Saitama can onepunch anyone, sugoi... and then ? so great we ve already been spoiled the ending :arf

Again many think that "OPM is great because its a seinen" "TPN is crappy because it's a shonen " and honestly OPM was not even that popular, the anime is what makes it that susccessful (thxs Madhouse), how many of you were caring about OPM before its adaptation ? Its a manga war not an anime war, at least TPN is not fighting with any kind of adaptation, only with its original material.

Im copy pasting what i wrote earlier about TPN

Part I- Main character

1st, the authors wanted to write a shonen witha female lead. Emma is often compared to characters like Luffy or Naruto, but actually Emma is very smart, she's not exactly the stereotype shonen main characters, those children are very young, and have experimented some trauma. Emma was also raised to be like Isabella and become the next mama, so yes she may be slightly naïve but not that much, from the very start its implied she has something into her, that reminds me of Gon (HxH)

we're already hinted she has a kind of dark side that may be growing in the series, I wont be surprise if she ends up doing weird stuff, making some bad choices or even be killing, actually she reminds more characters like Arya From GOT than Luffy or naruto, she already knows that to survive she may have to kill.

Part 2- Cast

- Protagonists
Ray and Norman like Emma show from the very beginning of the story some darker side, main cast unlike most of shonen seem to have some unexpected features due possibly to the lack of adult models, the only adults they met betrayed them. They definitely have some crazy side, which make theme even more interesting.

Norman case is very interesting considering there's some possibility he's dead which would be incredibly audacious for the authors to kill of one of the main cast this early, i personnaly prefer he's dead as much as i love him, but if he's not there's high probability he turns antagonist (mere asumptions of course) as he reminds a lot of Johan liebert (Monster)

- Antagonists

The main antagonist we met so far is Isabella she is very interesting considering she was a former orphan from GF that was so briliant she ended up being mama to survive. She knows very well their condition, she even
bore a child by insemination who happened to be Ray, but still even being his "genetic mother" doesnt prevent her for being ready to send him to death.

she's definitely a complex character who became an antogonist due to her own pains. and again it shows how much the past, the background the sufferings, can impact on some individuals. Thats a path Emma could definitevely have taken considering how close she's to what was Isabella.

there's also Sonju whos for now a protagonist but may ends up being against the children and Minerva who for now seems to be an allie but whose motives are totally unknown, he definitely may not be the one we expect him to be.
So basically there's neither white or black characters, but rather grey personalities for most of them, except maybe the younger ones, and except Musica which is genuinely kind. Like Connie case, being an extremely gentle characters in TPN universe sounds to me like a deathflag

Part 3 - Main topics

- Tolerance
From the very 1st chapter we know that there s no ethnic barrier in the orphanage, children are drom everywhere of the world and form a "family" so they have been raised without any racial prejudice and with acceptance despite differences. Also Demons & humans antagonism reminds a lot Chimera ants vs human in HxH, demons are depicted as evil but meeting Sonju and Musica make us realize that they are basically like humans. Those children met with demons that were kinder and more attentive to them, and who didn't betray them while humans did. I think one of the possible conclusion we can draw is probably similar to Chimera's ants, human can likely in TPN universe be like or even worse than demons.

- Human condition
Human condition is one of the main aspect, one of the 1st disturbing we were introduced to, are the tattooed codes on children neck, which already hinted us there s something wrong, children are labelled as cattle/marchandise, delicacies, its all about subjection/objectified humans/slavery, its even more disturbing when we know about batteries farms, and its even worse than in other mangas like Snk or Tg because it's involving very young children. Eugnics experiments is a topic that has been introduces implicitely all along the story (with Isabella pregnancy) with which reminds a lot the Kinderheim 511 concept fromMonster (Urasawa) and the notion of premium cattle which refers to breeding eugenics.
So again the story is Spartacus-like kind of enslaved children trying to look for freedom to escape their inhuman fate.

4-Misc

- Horror
TPN feat some incredibly mature topics, even if it's not too graphic it's still very disturbing. People tend to think of The Promised Neverland as a fake dark manga, but horror is not necessary visual, it can be suggestive or implied. Horror being evocative more than graphic doesn't mean it doesnt exist, it can sometimes be even more impactful/powerful than pure gorenography. TPN is about human and more precisely children traffic, it shares also many similitudes at least at the start with Bratherley no Basha from Samura except BnB is extremely graphic & disturbing.

In Bnb things are very graphic which increases a lot the shock value, but there are some other works that handle such topics like children abuse, rape, torture and so without showing that much sometimes without showing anything, that's for instance the case of Ima Soko ni iru Boku (anime) we know very well what's happening but we don't get to see the most disturbing things, but it still an anime tagged horror with some creepy scenes.
In Neverland tthings are quite balanced we saw from chapter 1 some visual stuff with Connie's death.

But is the manga lighter or a so called "fake dark manga" because we haven't seen more deaths or more graphic things ? i would say no, we know it's still a manga about children abuse, anthropophagy, and so on with its worst and darker side. We also get some main cast being mutilated. I think Neverland is close to Madoka magica in terms of portraying horror, it does still exist we are hinted or showed some stuff, but its somewhat "candifed" by the tale aspect of storytelling (cute characters, children, idealistic main char., sheer optimism, and art aspect).

- Writing/art
Promised Neverland contrary to Vagabond which is an historical manga, is a more like Fantasy/tale like. The word Neverland ofc reminds Peter pan, its, i would call it a kind of thriller tale, it shares some similitudes with children stories (involving demons, "oni" in Japanese) but still is incredibly mature. Thats why the art can't be compared to Vagabond, as an historical manga, Vagabond has to be very "realistic" art-wise, it s about a martial artist so it has to focus on the character gesture, actions, charism and on the sword art/battle aesthetics, while Tpn as a mind games story with very little actions, has to focus more on emphasized facial expressions to convey emotions.

- credibility
Despite being an imaginary fiction with fantastic aspects, authors try to be as much credible as possible, for instance calandar is true to real time calendar see pic above ( https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/monthly.html?year=2045&month=10&country=1 ) regarding human capacities there's no superhuman powers, everything which is introduced is plausible. For instance, there's non instant recovery afer bones breaking, Emma coudn't walk for 2 months after Isabella broke her lag, no limbs regrowing either like in many manga.

@syx Raaay :zomg such a great set, love it a lot !

Last edited:

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
PFFFFFFFT

Here's the first page of OPM

I've seen better drawings from a 5 year old @The President . Wait, unless you now have double standards for what is deemed as art. :yodawg

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
Going Neverland here, easy choice once again :p
Because it has my baby :wtf

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was on board with TPN here, albeit barely because I really enjoy OPM. Erin's arguments have been great but she ruined her campaign here for me by posting that disgusting eyesore Phil so for hurting me in this way OPM gets my vote.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
PFFFFFFFT

Here's the first page of OPM

I've seen better drawings from a 5 year old @The President . Wait, unless you now have double standards for what is deemed as art. :yodawg
For every post you make I have to go check if you're nominated for Best Troll Member..
Obviously you know that's not the actual manga you're linking to, but the webcomic... right? ... Right?

Both series beat a series I voted for. TPN crushed Vagabond, which I thought was infinitely wrong. OPM just barely scraped by Death Note, which I'm not as upset about as that was a tough decision for me (in the end I went with the superior story).

One Punch Man has much more detailed art, and it's frankly quite astounding sometimes... but Neverland definitely has its original style on its side in that department. And for a weekly series it does manage some really great art. Honestly, while I'd definitely call OPM's art "better" objectively, it's not by any means leagues above YnN imo.

When it comes to story, YnN is definitely more interesting. It has suspense, mystery and a more interesting world building than OPM already.

Let's be honest: OPM isn't about a compelling story, it's pure action comedy. But it never gets boring. Even if it's basically the same thing over and over with a few variations, that thing was really good to begin with, and Saitama is just such a great character even though he's almost an anti-character. Tbh I don't care for most of OPM's characters. Most of the heroes are kinda forgettable, just fodder really. Even so, characters like Saitama and King make up for it.

YnN has great characters too, with more growth, more character progression and development. Definitely more interesting, but less entertaining.

That's pretty much this whole round in a nutshell. Neverland is more interesting and compelling, but OPM is more entertaining.
YnN shows more potential for growing and keep getting better, but One Punch Man is such a consistent series already.

Agh. Still can't decide.

MonkeyD-Dragon

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
OPM takes this, not only because the manga is great, but also because I read the webcomic which has the best arc in the series.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
For every post you make I have to go check if you're nominated for Best Troll Member..
Obviously you know that's not the actual manga you're linking to, but the webcomic... right? ... Right?

Both series beat a series I voted for. TPN crushed Vagabond, which I thought was infinitely wrong. OPM just barely scraped by Death Note, which I'm not as upset about as that was a tough decision for me (in the end I went with the superior story).

One Punch Man has much more detailed art, and it's frankly quite astounding sometimes... but Neverland definitely has its original style on its side in that department. And for a weekly series it does manage some really great art. Honestly, while I'd definitely call OPM's art "better" objectively, it's not by any means leagues above YnN imo.

When it comes to story, YnN is definitely more interesting. It has suspense, mystery and a more interesting world building than OPM already.

Let's be honest: OPM isn't about a compelling story, it's pure action comedy. But it never gets boring. Even if it's basically the same thing over and over with a few variations, that thing was really good to begin with, and Saitama is just such a great character even though he's almost an anti-character. Tbh I don't care for most of OPM's characters. Most of the heroes are kinda forgettable, just fodder really. Even so, characters like Saitama and King make up for it.

YnN has great characters too, with more growth, more character progression and development. Definitely more interesting, but less entertaining.

That's pretty much this whole round in a nutshell. Neverland is more interesting and compelling, but OPM is more entertaining.
YnN shows more potential for growing and keep getting better, but One Punch Man is such a consistent series already.

Agh. Still can't decide.
thxs for your honest opinion @Organizized :zomg.
If you can't decide, vote for the less popular one, you know the one OP can crush easily next round :whistle

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
I was on board with TPN here, albeit barely because I really enjoy OPM. Erin's arguments have been great but she ruined her campaign here for me by posting that disgusting eyesore Phil so for hurting me in this way OPM gets my vote.
You voted OPM because of a Phil picture, yet I voted SNS despite that nauseating pic of "the brave barbarian" rindou I saw in your post. Now I'm sorry I didn't help Vagabond crush SnS considering it's these simple things that sway our votes :awe

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
You voted OPM because of a Phil picture, yet I voted SNS despite that nauseating pic of "the brave barbarian" rindou I saw in your post. Now I'm sorry I didn't help Vagabond crush SnS considering it's these simple things that sway our votes :awe
But Bel-kun, I really enjoy OPM too! :emocat It was a hard choice, and betraying the TPN campaign after it got revenge for SnS is definitely something I'm not happy with but I can't stand Phil, I just can't! Forgive me :emocat

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
But Bel-kun, I really enjoy OPM too! :emocat It was a hard choice, and betraying the TPN campaign after it got revenge for SnS is definitely something I'm not happy with but I can't stand Phil, I just can't! Forgive me :emocat
No. You should have just said you like OPM more since you're not under any obligation to vote for TPN but since you gave that ridiculous reason I won't forgive you. I have a long memory Sam. I look forward to your future campaigns :blush

Status
Not open for further replies.