Voting Round 3 - Yakusoku no Neverland vs. One-Punch Man | Page 3 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Yakusoku no Neverland vs. One-Punch Man

Who wins?

• Yakusoku no Neverland

• One-Punch Man

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
thxs for your honest opinion @Organizized :zomg.
If you can't decide, vote for the less popular one, you know the one OP can crush easily next round :whistle

Not so sure about TPN being unpopular seeing as it crushed one of the best manga ever, with a margin as big as FMA vs. Nana and HxH vs. AD...

I'll ponder this one for a bit.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Not so sure about TPN being unpopular seeing as it crushed one of the best manga ever, with a margin as big as FMA vs. Nana and HxH vs. AD...

I'll ponder this one for a bit.
But as I said earlier Vagabond lost mainly because Goldie was over confident about his great nomination and didn't bother even fighting, but as you know babies have a great survival instinct but still if you punch them they'll die no matter what
so pliz let this baby live a little more ♥ :zomg
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
besides its not unpopular but definitly less popular than OPm. :hmph

SirSamuel016

The One True Salt King
Reaction score
Country
Australia
No. You should have just said you like OPM more since you're not under any obligation to vote for TPN but since you gave that ridiculous reason I won't forgive you. I have a long memory Sam. I look forward to your future campaigns :blush

I did say "I really enjoy OPM" in my first post though to at least hint at my thorough enjoyment of it, but I see that doesn't cut it. So be it, cast me aside! I might struggle more without your aid but life is full of struggles and I'll overcome them all! I'll show you that you need and want me around, even if I'm a stupid bloke who makes stupid choices/mistakes!

Goodbye Belserion,
Goodbye my friend,
You have been someone,
You have been someone great to me...

:emocat

P.S: Go Neverland and OPM, both deserve to win

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
@Erinyes please allow me to do some minor campaigning in defense of the manga we both love :XD

We've seen overviews on a few of the characters but what I love about Neverland is that the characters are never black and white, good or evil. Usually in Shounen manga we have the situation where the good guy manages to convert the villain by his preachy speeches and his innate goodness that just cannot be resisted. Looking at pics of Emma and her bright smile you'd think right away "ok that's her role, how predictable" but that's really not the case. I'd like to highlight this by shining light on two specific characters.

The first character is Sister Krone.

Sister Krone grew up on a plantation just like the other characters we've met. She entered the story as someone who came to aid Isabella in keeping the plantation under control. Krone was in awe of Isabella and genuinely looked forward to working with the youngest mama hailed as a genius among her peers. However, Isabella brushed her off from the start, telling her in no uncertain terms that she was basically just a pawn and should do as she's told. Not exactly something you'd want to hear from someone you admire.

When Krone finally realized the extent of Isabella's loss of control and that she was actually careless enough to allow the secret of the plantation to be revealed, she saw this as the perfect opportunity to rise to the top and usurp Isabella's "mama" position. How quickly admiration has turned to intense hatred. Krone's first reaction was to ship out the children who knew the secret, which was procedure, but Isabella convinced her not. Krone then set out to put her own plan in motion by finding evidence that the kids knew the truth so she could take it to the higher ups. This proved difficult as her intimidation tactics didn't work. She went as far as to sow seeds of disloyalty among the children by raising issues of trust. She tried to get them to spy on each other, but Gilda, the child she tried to use, proved too loyal to her family.

The next best thing Krone could think of was the age old "if you can't beat them, join them." What better way to bring down a common enemy than with an alliance? Krone still had her ulterior motives of course, but if she could get the kids to let their guards down enough to reveal what they know, she'd essentially be killing two birds with one stone. Getting rid of Isabella and the kids. She made herself available to the kids, answering any questions they had about the outside world, the trackers, security etc.

This tentative alliance would be short lived though. Isabella chose that exact moment to implement her own plan. Everything Krone did was with the intention of being a mama. If you're an indispensable asset then you're safe from becoming food. Isabella produced a letter from headquarters with Krone's dream. The opening of a mama position and Isabella's own recommendation. But despite everything, krone wasn't stupid. She knew this was a trap, but when you play chess with a master no doubt you'll be eventually outclassed. Isabella made it impossible for krone to refuse. Despite her lack of evidence Krone still did her best to convince the higher ups that Isabella had lost control of her farm but it was to no avail. However, before she died we're shown that she made her own preparations, because even in death, bringing down Isabella was her greatest wish.

Krone was an individual who fought for nothing but her own, personal, agenda. She played nice when she had to play nice, scheming and plotting continuously while trusting no one but herself. She fully realized the evil of her own actions, and how the twisted system she was brought up in made her this way, but still carried on nevertheless. Her goal was ultimately just to survive, to be on the "Eat" part of the food chain. Krone was never reformed. She was unapologetic for the things she had done and would have done given the chance. Her last play was also selfish. She didn't care about the kids actually escaping other that it would bring down Isabella. Krone didn't allow herself to be swayed by pretty words of hope, or the fact that these were children. Thats what made her an interesting villain in my opinion.

And since this was a little longer that I intended I'll be back later to talk about the character of Song Juu.

Spirit

Certified Sensei
Reaction score
Country
Australia
@Erinyes please allow me to do some minor campaigning in defense of the manga we both love :XD

We've seen overviews on a few of the characters but what I love about Neverland is that the characters are never black and white, good or evil. Usually in Shounen manga we have the situation where the good guy manages to convert the villain by his preachy speeches and his innate goodness that just cannot be resisted. Looking at pics of Emma and her bright smile you'd think right away "ok that's her role, how predictable" but that's really not the case. I'd like to highlight this by shining light on two specific characters.

Sister Krone grew up on a plantation just like the other characters we've met. She entered the story as someone who came to aid Isabella in keeping the plantation under control. Krone was in awe of Isabella and genuinely looked forward to working with the youngest mama hailed as a genius among her peers. However, Isabella brushed her off from the start, telling her in no uncertain terms that she was basically just a pawn and should do as she's told. Not exactly something you'd want to hear from someone you admire.

When Krone finally realized the extent of Isabella's loss of control and that she was actually careless enough to allow the secret of the plantation to be revealed, she saw this as the perfect opportunity to rise to the top and usurp Isabella's "mama" position. How quickly admiration has turned to intense hatred. Krone's first reaction was to ship out the children who knew the secret, which was procedure, but Isabella convinced her not. Krone then set out to put her own plan in motion by finding evidence that the kids knew the truth so she could take it to the higher ups. This proved difficult as her intimidation tactics didn't work. She went as far as to sow seeds of disloyalty among the children by raising issues of trust. She tried to get them to spy on each other, but Gilda, the child she tried to use, proved too loyal to her family.

The next best thing Krone could think of was the age old "if you can't beat them, join them." What better way to bring down a common enemy than with an alliance? Krone still had her ulterior motives of course, but if she could get the kids to let their guards down enough to reveal what they know, she'd essentially be killing two birds with one stone. Getting rid of Isabella and the kids. She made herself available to the kids, answering any questions they had about the outside world, the trackers, security etc.

This tentative alliance would be short lived though. Isabella chose that exact moment to implement her own plan. Everything Krone did was with the intention of being a mama. If you're an indispensable asset then you're safe from becoming food. Isabella produced a letter from headquarters with Krone's dream. The opening of a mama position and Isabella's own recommendation. But despite everything, krone wasn't stupid. She knew this was a trap, but when you play chess with a master no doubt you'll be eventually outclassed. Isabella made it impossible for krone to refuse. Despite her lack of evidence Krone still did her best to convince the higher ups that Isabella had lost control of her farm but it was to no avail. However, before she died we're shown that she made her own preparations, because even in death, bringing down Isabella was her greatest wish.

Krone was an individual who fought for nothing but her own, personal, agenda. She played nice when she had to play nice, scheming and plotting continuously while trusting no one but herself. She fully realized the evil of her own actions, and how the twisted system she was brought up in made her this way, but still carried on nevertheless. Her goal was ultimately just to survive, to be on the "Eat" part of the food chain. Krone was never reformed. She was unapologetic for the things she had done and would have done given the chance. Her last play was also selfish. She didn't care about the kids actually escaping other that it would bring down Isabella. Krone didn't allow herself to be swayed by pretty words of hope, or the fact that these were children. Thats what made her an interesting villain in my opinion.

And since this was a little longer that I intended I'll be back later to talk about the character of Song Juu.
May Sister Krone live on in eternal glory. Still my favourite character of the series to date.

TotalEconomist

For the Empire!
Reaction score
Country
United Nations
@Organizized OPM will always be a webcomic first, Manga second~ So yea, I am aware that I posted the webcomic.

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Wow ths so so so so much thats so lovely ♥

Aizen

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Organizized OPM will always be a webcomic first, Manga second~ So yea, I am aware that I posted the webcomic.
Except this is the manga that is nominated and the webcomic therefore means nothing. Not to mention as I said, he does not get paid for the webcomic. ONE works directly with Murata on the manga, so that is arguably the revised project.

Dunno1978

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Tartaros
So it's a Dark Shounen vs. Shounen Parody, eh? :derp Voted for OPM. It's 5 years early for TPN to triumph over it.

HereNThere

Alive Ain't Always Livin'
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
Jammin put up the One Punch Man signal for voting backup. So here I am and here I voted.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
So earlier I highlighted Krone and her role in the series. Why she did what she did and how unapologetic she was even in the face of hope and innocence. Now we look at another character. This time we'll look at Sung Joo.

After the kids escaped Grace Fields House (the plantation) they wandered a while through the forest looking for William Minerva's shelter. Of course it wasn't as simple as that considering even the vegetation was against them. At one point, their demon pursuers managed to catch up to them. Particularly Ray. This is when we meet Sung Joo.

So now we're all thinking we've made a new ally. Well if you read Neverland that's actually the last thing you think. In fact everything about this screamed more danger. You're in a demon forest surrounded by the enemy when this man on a horse appears out nowhere to save you. The Promised Neverland is almost the epitome of Murphy's law. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong for these kids.

After making it to safety and reunited with Emma and the others, Ray and Emma realized Sung Joo and his comrade Musica were in fact not humans but demons. After reassuring the kids that they weren't like the demons hunting them and they ate anything except humans because of their faith, they were put at ease. Apparently their God forbids eating anything that wasn't "natural" and being born on the plantations is considered unnatural, or what we would call processed.

Like Krone, Sung Joo answered many of the kids questions about the world they lived in, learning of the separation of the human and demon worlds, the promise made by their ancestors to keep both species from hunting the other. This gave them renewed hope of not only surviving, but escaping the demon world.

Sung Joo and Musica gave the kids food and shelter, basically treating them like siblings. Later on, Emma followed Song Juu to the forest asking him to teach her to hunt. He was sceptical at first but decided to help her in the end. After spending a short time with their new demon friends, the kids had to continue their journey to find Minerva. After an emotional goodbye they left. This is when we get the conversation between Sung Juu and Musica that proved sometimes first reactions are the right reactions. It turns out this "big brother" figure the kids found had his own motivation all along.

The reason I chose to highlight these two characters was to show that nothing is ever really that simple in Neverland.

We had Sister Krone, who on the surface was your typical opportunistic villain that wanted to be at the top. But in reality she wanted to survive. In the world they live in humans are at the bottom of every chain, from food to evolution. Only the Mamas and Grandmas are seen as necessary or indispensable to some degree. Even as a helper you weren't guaranteed survival so it's only natural she made the best of her situation. That included walking over persons trying to survive just like herself and sending children to their deaths. She did this willingly and without remorse.

Then we had Sung Joo, who rescued the kids, taught them to survive, killed the demons chasing after them, all with the hopes that they either broke the Promise made between humans and demons that would allow him to once again hunt and eat natural humans, or if they failed to break the promise hopes to one day hunt the children of the very kids he just saved. Not because he has to. It's not for survival since he and Musica have been surviving just fine all these years, but because he wants to.

Both selfish characters. One seen as an enemy. One seen as a friend. But despite their portrayal I personally find Krone to be the more sympathetic of the two, perhaps even more relatable, less despicable.

And these are only two characters. The Neverland cast isn't huge, but the characters as in the case with Krone, Sung Joo, Isabella, "Baelish", Grandma, are all unique and morally ambiguous in their individual situations. It's never boring:zomg

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I would like to praise you @Erinyes. Your army of zealous followers is strong and Neverlands aura of depression has whittled away the weaker masochists among our ranks but if you think this is over. Your wrong. Because now I'm getting serious.

Originally, I had wanted to hold back the one most commonly underestimated aspect of what makes One Punch-man the best manga around but clearly you are worthy of everything I've got. So here goes. Allow me to show why the manga artwork is actually objectively superior to the anime artwork in my special attack.

"Hisatsu Infinity Big Bang Blazing Manga Artwork Stooooooorrrmmm!!!"

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've been meaning to ask this but.. why are the head dimensions in Neverland so messed up?

Are they supposed to be humans? I can't tell.:errr

Status
Not open for further replies.