Semifinal - Jellal Fernandes vs Laxus Dreyar | Page 15 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Semifinal Jellal Fernandes vs Laxus Dreyar

Which fighter advances?

• Jellal Fernandes

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • Laxus Dreyar

Votes: 36 45.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
i guess instead of beforehand, one could say in the midst or early stages of the battle. They will most likely be feeling each other out before going with their best moves.

THAT is when Jellal, as i believe, being the better strategist, will provide the difference. A potent spell, set up early on.
What would Jellal do for strategy though?

I'm pretty sure Laxus will aim to make it CQC, while Jellal should aim to keep it ranged. There'll probably be small momentum changes through the fight, where someone dictates for a short time.

Jellal or Laxus probably don't have enough weaknesses for strategy to be much of a factor. Jellal will probably try to do more "hit without being hit", and Laxus will try to "slug it out".

Orgastthemage

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Philippines
While I'm still half and half about this (this is the toughest match, I thought this would be the finals), I could actually see this happening but I'm not sure if it would damage Laxus enough. While I kind of dislike Laxus' endurance (it feels like straight up plot armour sometimes) it's still there and I don't think anything short of a fully accurate GC is going to put a dent in him.
yeah, but we can not deny Laxus is one heck of a physical specimen. Perhaps an even strongwr spell than GC( We lack moves from Jellal). Perhaps an Abyss break or an upgraded version of GC( but that is moe or less speculation, albeit it being reasonable considering his improvement, an even better GC than the one we last saw).

Ebony Maw

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth

I'm pretty sure Laxus will aim to make it CQC, while Jellal should aim to keep it ranged. There'll probably be small momentum changes through the fight, where someone dictates for a short time.

Jellal or Laxus probably don't have enough weaknesses for strategy to be much of a factor. Jellal will probably try to do more "hit without being hit", and Laxus will try to "slug it out".
Jellal will take the Dark Souls approach. :P

Being serious, I could see Jellal using a bind snake + Sema strategy but it would be late game, perhaps too late.

Orgastthemage

Reaction score
Country
Philippines

In a fight this tense, I can not see any clear winner here, strategy will play the difference. in a fight between two people of comparable skill, strategy always plays the integral role for the efficient win. jellal has slightly better strategy feats and MP cntrol, so i think he'll edge Laxus out. With immense Luck as well.
Both of them need luck for a winner to be decided here.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
In a fight this tense, I can not see any clear winner here, strategy will play the difference. in a fight between two people of comparable skill, strategy always plays the integral role for the efficient win. jellal has slightly better strategy feats and MP cntrol, so i think he'll edge Laxus out. With immense Luck as well.
Both of them need luck for a winner to be decided here.
I actually agree a little luck might be the decider.

TBH I think both with implement decent strategies. I think Jellal is more intelligent, but they're both equal in combat intelligence.

Anyway I can see your point about what can sway the fight either way when things are tight. In a different way, I think it's Laxus' physicals that will be pivotal over other things like strategy (which I believe are equivalent). If they have similar attack power and mobility, then the person who can stay on their feet for the longest will have the greatest chance of winning.

Of course lady luck can tip the balance. Luck can come down to simply anticipating the right way in a 50-50 decision.

Orgastthemage

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I actually agree a little luck might be the decider.

TBH I think both with implement decent strategies. I think Jellal is more intelligent, but they're both equal in combat intelligence.

Anyway I can see your point about what can sway the fight either way when things are tight. In a different way, I think it's Laxus' physicals that will be pivotal over other things like strategy (which I believe are equivalent). If they have similar attack power and mobility, then the person who can stay on their feet for the longest will have the greatest chance of winning.

Of course lady luck can tip the balance. Luck can come down to simply anticipating the right way in a 50-50 decision.
Its either Diversity, Strategy, Physicality, or plain luck that will pick the winner.
I hope Mashima gives Jellal one more fight, he seriously lacks feats.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Its either Diversity, Strategy, Physicality, or plain luck that will pick the winner.
I hope Mashima gives Jellal one more fight, he seriously lacks feats.
That's true it is that close.

Jellal's going to fight big this arc. Surely in an arc where Zeref is the main antagonist that we get Jellal v Zeref, or something big like Jellal v August. But that's getting too far off-topic :)

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
While I'm still half and half about this (this is the toughest match, I thought this would be the finals), I could actually see this happening but I'm not sure if it would damage Laxus enough. While I kind of dislike Laxus' endurance (it feels like straight up plot armour sometimes) it's still there and I don't think anything short of a fully accurate GC is going to put a dent in him.
yeah, but we can not deny Laxus is one heck of a physical specimen. Perhaps an even strongwr spell than GC( We lack moves from Jellal). Perhaps an Abyss break or an upgraded version of GC( but that is moe or less speculation, albeit it being reasonable considering his improvement, an even better GC than the one we last saw).
I do agree Laxus is durable. But he isn't some god where he will tank Jellal's attacks without much difficulty or damage. Let's not forget that Jellal has one of the highest attack power in the series. This includes attack potency, destructive capacity, and AoE. Honestly, if a Spriggan is able to damage Laxus, a simple Grand Chariot (that is easily Spriggan level power) should still be quite as effective against Laxus.

I fully agree that Laxus has plot armor. That is a known fact with all Fairy Tail mages. Too bad Jellal is in Crime Sorcière.

Instead of questioning Laxus' defense though, let's talk about Jellal's defense mechanisms. I still don't see how Laxus can counter Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water. I'm sure Jellal will use this as part of his strategy. I agree with you guys though that Jellal should take the win.

For jokes, I guess Red Lightning would negate Laxus' immunity/resistance to lightning (since it isn't exactly lightning). Jellal just needs to wait for that chance when Laxus uses that attack and then cast Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water to reflect it back. Laxus will instantly one-hit KO himself.

Nemispelled

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alright, it's about time I jumped in.

Honestly, I was planning to ignore this battle all together, but after Jellal's side recently called out "Mirror Water", I have no choice but to counter.

I was against Jellal borrowing Mystogan's magic from the beginning, but it seems people are using it as a feat for Jellal.

To state my claim:

Laxus wins because of Lightning Body.

Jellal's attacks can't hit him.

It's as simple as that. Jellal is no Mystogan. Jellal doesn't have Mist Body.

Therefore, Jellal is at a severe disadvantage because Laxus can hit him at any time...

But Jellal's spells won't have any effect on Laxus when he is in Lightning Body.

I honestly can't see a counter for Jellal against Laxus' lightning body.

Jellal can't win.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States

Honestly, I was planning to ignore this battle all together, but after Jellal's side recently called out "Mirror Water", I have no choice but to counter.

I was against Jellal borrowing Mystogan's magic from the beginning, but it seems people are using it as a feat for Jellal.

To state my claim:

Therefore, Jellal is at a severe disadvantage because Laxus can hit him at any time...

But Jellal's spells won't have any effect on Laxus when he is in Lightning Body.

Jellal can't win.
If you don't want Jellal using Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water, then that's fine by me. Honestly, Jellal doesn't need it to win. The only reason why I said Jellal can use that attack is because he is constantly being denied durability feats. It doesn't matter though because we know which side has more fans. I expected Jellal to be downplayed and lose this one anyways. The finals will probably be between the most popular fandoms. In other words, Laxus vs Natsu. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it will come down to a popularity vote in the end, seeing that it already headed towards that direction.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Lol plot armor never gets brought up in a Gildarts discussion :) Mainly it's for Natsu and Erza unfortunately, because people like to bash them for whatever reason. Why can't their feats just be treated as feats? Laxus is physically one of the toughest characters in the series, it's silly to deny that or downplay it. Heck Laxus was a victim of the plot... he had his magic being resisted (fair play it's Wahl's precaution) BUT also anti-magic sickness brought back in just 1 chapter before.

Jellal would need to cause enough damage to surpass Assault Wahl's attacks + internal dying by anti-magic particles. And this would need to be done while Laxus is fighting back. Not to mention, even under all that duress Laxus can still make a Jutsu Shiki. This is a tall order here, because Red Lightning would likely defeat Jellal if he's hit.

Mirror water reflected Jura's rock snake thing didn't it? So how high are we going to hype this now? What if Laxus dropped a nuke, a lightning bolt or roared? I'd expect those to plow right through Mirror water. Jellal admitted that using Mystogan's borrowed magic isn't going to cut it against Jura ie against a tough opponent. So he went to using Heavenly Body magic.

Jellal.S.N

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Singapore
@Nemispelled
Great post. I almost forgot about that intangiblity thingy. However, the only weakness of lightning body is that the caster should be in motion while using it. So the moment he attacks Jellal, he is not in a state of motion (I think) so then, he loses lighting body. Now I am not saying he can't use it again but if Jellal can attack him during that short time... However, I am not implying that Jellal will win.

@Brandish
Yep, mirror water is no hax magic. In fact, the only time it will work is when the opponent does not have enough mastery over the magic. Since Jura was good with rock magic, he could revert it again. However, it could act as a shield once or twice or at least I guess?

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
Lol plot armor never gets brought up in a Gildarts discussion :) Mainly it's for Natsu and Erza unfortunately, because people like to bash them for whatever reason. Why can't their feats just be treated as feats? Laxus is physically one of the toughest characters in the series, it's silly to deny that or downplay it. Heck Laxus was a victim of the plot... he had his magic being resisted (fair play it's Wahl's precaution) BUT also anti-magic sickness brought back in just 1 chapter before.

Jellal would need to cause enough damage to surpass Assault Wahl's attacks + internal dying by anti-magic particles. And this would need to be done while Laxus is fighting back. Not to mention, even under all that duress Laxus can still make a Jutsu Shiki. This is a tall order here, because Red Lightning would likely defeat Jellal if he's hit.

Mirror water reflected Jura's rock snake thing didn't it? So how high are we going to hype this now? What if Laxus dropped a nuke, a lightning bolt or roared? I'd expect those to plow right through Mirror water. Jellal admitted that using Mystogan's borrowed magic isn't going to cut it against Jura ie against a tough opponent. So he went to using Heavenly Body magic.
The reason it doesn't come up for Gildarts is because he doesn't have plot armour, in fact it's taken away because he isn't in the plot lol. About Laxus, does he still have the MBP's in this?

By the way, the only reason I mentioned plot armour for Laxus was due to him surviving the MBP's and a Spriggan fight, I'm still salty as hell about the MBP's and Wahl (dat Spriggan hype) being beat like that lol. In fact most Spriggan fights have irritated me tbh. All of this being said, I'm not (purposefully lol) downplaying Laxus, I'm actually on the verge of voting for him.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i guess instead of beforehand, one could say in the midst or early stages of the battle. They will most likely be feeling each other out before going with their best moves.

THAT is when Jellal, as i believe, being the better strategist, will provide the difference. A potent spell, set up early on.
What is this potent spell that he's setting up? I doubt he'll even be able to set up a spell since Laxus' first tactic is to charge straight at someone, Jellal either has to stand his ground to set up the spell or try to avoid Laxus and run away with meteor so that he can find a way to take Laxus down without Laxus getting too close, otherwise he gets taken down in CQC.
I wouldn't call it plot armour, it's a trait of his that puts him at the level that he's at, his endurance is one of his best abilities.
Grand Chariot is also the worst spell to use against someone with Laxus' speed because the spell is fixed to 7 points on the ground, Laxus just has to go right or left and he's avoided it, I don't see grand chariot actually hitting him in a million years.

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
I wouldn't call it plot armour, it's a trait of his that puts him at the level that he's at, his endurance is one of his best abilities.
Grand Chariot is also the worst spell to use against someone with Laxus' speed because the spell is fixed to 7 points on the ground, Laxus just has to go right or left and he's avoided it, I don't see grand chariot actually hitting him in a million years.
I've never been a fan of characters that endlessly endure things tbh, so I think it's just my salty AF perception. That said, I think it's the MBP's that did it for me but I acknowledge his walking tank status.

As for GC, while it may be bad due to Laxus' speed, it has a pretty good AoE so if it went off he'd probably cause some damage. Honestly, this fight is too tough to decide on, might go for Laxus soon though otherwise I can see the finals going badly...

Jean Grey

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Croatia
I've never been a fan of characters that endlessly endure things tbh, so I think it's just my salty AF perception. That said, I think it's the MBP's that did it for me but I acknowledge his walking tank status.

As for GC, while it may be bad due to Laxus' speed, it has a pretty good AoE so if it went off he'd probably cause some damage. Honestly, this fight is too tough to decide on, might go for Laxus soon though otherwise I can see the finals going badly...
no matter who goes into the finals, Natsu will win for sure even if goes against Jellal and Laxus. i can already imagine that discussion in my head.

Stormsfury

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's too much speculation here and not enough feats, you have to use facts and not say things like "perhaps" and "maybe", because it could just prove unfair to the other competitor, the same thing happened in Natsu vs God Serena.

To state my claim:

Jellal can't win.
I'm pretty sure Laxus can still be hit while in Lightning Body because Jura was able to do it, Lightning body does not completely negate all magic, however I don't think Mirror Water is working against someone of Laxus' speed, the ranged attacks that Laxus drops are almost instantaneous, Jellal actually has to do symbols and cast the spell for Mirror Water, I doubt he has the time to actually cast it in that regard.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Except I don't see Laxus being downplayed or denied durability feats. It's the other way around. Many are not taking into consideration that Jellal could fight DF Natsu while being injured, soloing the Oración Seis single handedly, being able to fight Jura as equals (arguably could've won without much difficulty), and one-shotting a Spriggan while tanking attacks from him like it was nothing. The only baseless argument I see here is that Laxus muscles gives him better physicality.

Sure, Laxus is a victim of plot, but he gets plot armor to help him get back on track. Meanwhile, Gildarts and Jellal are lacking feats and are barely relevant to the plot itself...

That's not much to ask actually. Jellal's Flame of Rebuke alone would rival Wahl's Etherion. Now take a higher level spell like Grand Chariot. And even higher like Sema. This is me being lenient and not adding in hyped attacks like Abyss Break or Altairis. Doing this while Laxus is fighting back isn't that hard. Jellal isn't just standing there for Laxus to hit him. Laxus will have his hands full by Jellal fighting back as well. Besides, Laxus' Jutsu Shiki is useless here due to the amount of time it takes to write the runes. Jellal can cast Grand Chariot in a few panels while also using two attacks at the same time (Meteor + Grand Chariot).

Red Lightning would only defeat Jellal if you rate his durability low which has not been shown or indicated in the manga.

Three Layered Magic Circle: Mirror Water didn't work on Jura only because he can redirect his magic attacks. Something Laxus can't do or Gajeel wouldn't have taken the hit for Natsu back in the Battle of Fairy Tail Arc because Laxus would just "redirect" it back to hit Natsu again. Considering that magic actually blocked an attack from a mage like Jura, I can see it reflecting Laxus' attack because as we saw, Jellal massively improved. It was to the point that the atmosphere totally changed just because of him increasing his MP and getting angrier while casting Grand Chariot.

Last edited:

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
The reason it doesn't come up for Gildarts is because he doesn't have plot armour, in fact it's taken away because he isn't in the plot lol. About Laxus, does he still have the MBP's in this?

By the way, the only reason I mentioned plot armour for Laxus was due to him surviving the MBP's and a Spriggan fight, I'm still salty as hell about the MBP's and Wahl (dat Spriggan hype) being beat like that lol. In fact most Spriggan fights have irritated me tbh. All of this being said, I'm not (purposefully lol) downplaying Laxus, I'm actually on the verge of voting for him.
Well Gildarts was able to get through a fight with Bluenote, even though Bluenote was stomping him when Azuma intervened. So it's a little like Laxus' situation. Either I say the both had plot armour (Laxus got hit with lightning, Erza defeated Azuma in time); or I say that physically Laxus and Gildarts can endure their situations.

I don't know if Laxus still has the MBP's. They're either inert and still in his body, or they're wiped out.

I can understand the saltiness with the Spriggan losses, the way the lost was underwhelming for the most part. I believe you're not really downplaying him, maybe I just reacted poorly to use of plot armour :)

Ebony Maw

Reaction score
Country
Sabertooth
Well Gildarts was able to get through a fight with Bluenote, even though Bluenote was stomping him when Azuma intervened. So it's a little like Laxus' situation. Either I say the both had plot armour (Laxus got hit with lightning, Erza defeated Azuma in time); or I say that physically Laxus and Gildarts can endure their situations.
Fair points, I never really thought how convenient Tenrou was for Gildarts, I mainly focused on the Erza shenanigans. That being said, at least Gildarts wasn't having his insides destroyed while fighting Bluenote and I do question how much trouble Gildarts was having considering he one-shotted him after.
I don't know if Laxus still has the MBP's. They're either inert and still in his body, or they're wiped out.
I think it would make more sense if the MBP's were gone now, by the sounds of it they steal your MP and then life and that's it, they don't really need to stick around for long, maybe they have a time limit?
I can understand the saltiness with the Spriggan losses, the way the lost was underwhelming for the most part. I believe you're not really downplaying him, maybe I just reacted poorly to use of plot armour :)
Thanks and no problem, I'm pretty sure that Jellal or Laxus will win the tournament so I'm not too bothered about who wins this.

Status
Not open for further replies.