Discussion - My Hero Academia The Movie: World Heroes' Mission (August 6th, 2021) | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion My Hero Academia The Movie: World Heroes' Mission (August 6th, 2021)

TagiKun

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
Apparently black whip goes berserk due to the trigger bombs so maybe that's why he becomes wanted for mass murder.
Black Whip is extremely powerful and we know that it is possible to use to catch several things at the same time, so it is possible that during the rage it ends up killing civilians.

cracker

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Black Whip is extremely powerful and we know that it is possible to use to catch several things at the same time, so it is possible that during the rage it ends up killing civilians.
Yeahhhh....that didn't happen. Hori would not ok them letting Deku kill anyone, not even accidently. He was framed. They might have used deep fake technology. I'm wondering if this is a group of hypocrites and they have quirks too. Maybe they plan to kill themselves after the job is done. Some fanatics can be like that.

TagiKun

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vatican City State
Yeahhhh....that didn't happen. Hori would not ok them letting Deku kill anyone, not even accidently. He was framed. They might have used deep fake technology. I'm wondering if this is a group of hypocrites and they have quirks too. Maybe they plan to kill themselves after the job is done. Some fanatics can be like that.
I also don't think that will happen, but who knows.
I don't think they are going to kill themselves, but I'm sure they also have quirks and maybe they have another goal.

cracker

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
So the movie had a release date before the script was even done?

Ilyia

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Caleb Cook works for Viz. He is a creditable source of information about this subject.
No, a company translating something are not really an official source. As an example look at what happened with the anime "Ghost Stories". That was an official translation/dub but you can hardly call it canon. translating companies are not reliable sources.
He wouldn't say a spin-off is canon unless he knew for a fact it was.
I see you have never had the "pleasure" to professionally have to deal with some of these people working in the western anime translator industry.
Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four haven't been written by their creators in decades.
Arguably no. Much like how you the Disney Star Wars movies aren't truly canon, anything created by other people and not directly supervised buy the original creator/creators, would not be real canon even if it belonged to the canon universe. that said, marvel had multiple writers and creators so it is a bit different. The problem with Something liek Vigilantees is that Horikoshi has so far not directly referred to anything that happens in it nor has he come out to state that it is direct canon. On the contrary as pointed out, he has come out and used words such as "connected to" and "adjoint". IN other words, what he is saying is that they are NOT canon, but that people are allowed to see them as canon. This is a concept that might seem a bit alien to people in the west, but if you have ever talked with any Japanese artist etc and you ask them specifics about some of their drawings they will often say "I will leave tha up to the people that look at it to decide". So when a translator says that it is "canon", he is likely referring to this because a translator would interpret this as it being canon even though it really isn't.
The Star Wars movies not written by George Lucas?
Yeah, those are not really canon. This is why people referr to them as "Disney Star Wars".
Caleb Cook, the official English translator, has said it's "100% canon".
What a translator says holds no value. The only people that decide if something is canon or not is Horikoshi and his editor.
My Hero Vigilantes is canon.
Vigilantes are not canon. It is tied to the canon but what happens there isn't necessarily 100% what happened in the original canon.
Theres interviews with Kohei where he claims that movies are "connect", "adjoint" to manga. Never saying they are canon though.
No, what Horikoshi is saying that the the movies are either alternative realities that "could have happened" if certain events had played out differently, or they are in an entirely different universe as seen with the Marvel Movies. If it is the later then the movies are all in the same universe but if it is former then the movies are not related to each other and each diverge from different points in the manga or anime. Frankly speaking since it isn't in the same canonical universe as the manga and anime, Horikoshi should not be afraid to change things up and kill off characters in the movies or even make movies where the villains suddenly become heroic or win or whatever. What I am saying is that since this is not directly tied to the canon continuity, then instead of just doing these milk-toast movies he should pander to the fans of some of the other characters and actually explore plot possibilities there which we will never see in the actual canon. I mean in the canon Izuku will win and the villains will all get humiliated, defeated and arrested/killed. Since this is (in my opinion crap) at the very least he should do a movie where the villains win.

Last edited:

nectar

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
"Yeah, those are not really canon. This is why people referr to them as "Disney Star Wars"."

That was the moment I realized there's no point debating with you on the subject. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.

NegaiFreak

Reaction score
Country
United States
"Yeah, those are not really canon. This is why people referr to them as "Disney Star Wars"."

That was the moment I realized there's no point debating with you on the subject. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree.
Yeah, that's what I dislike about some 'fans' sometimes. Even if I don't like a series or movie as part of a larger universe, I'm not going to ignore its canonicity. I didn't really love the new Star Wars trilogy, but you don't see me ranting about it like crazy.

Anyways, back to the movie. I wonder if our villainous cult here is going to have a better backstory and/or character development compared to the previous movie villains. Most anime movie villains seem to really lack a defining trait to them aside from wanting to destroy/rule the world. Maybe this group could be like the Flag Smashers from The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. Or something along those lines. It'd at least be interesting.

nectar

Reaction score
Country
United States
With them going up against so many heroes, I hope they're at least strong enough to give them trouble. They kinda have to use their quirks to fight even if they hate them. It's that or using technology.

As for their backstory and character development, I doubt we'll get much. Probably most development on the leader and maybe one or two others. And then there's "the movie character" (Melissa or the 2 kids in the second movie). Could we get that this time too?

Demonspeed

Master Escapee Kotarou
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
France
Looks very androgynous. I thought it was a girl at first.

Cat Sidhe26

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
United States