Round of 16 - Zeref vs Invel | Page 10 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Round of 16 Zeref vs Invel

Who will advance to the Quarterfinals?

• Zeref Dragneel

Votes: 58 73.4%
  • Invel Yura

Votes: 21 26.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I agree and he should be able to destroy Invel just as easily as END beat Dims, however END was immune to Age Seal, while even FH Zeref wont be immune to Ice Slave(as Mavis has shown).

Sure, Zeref has the feats for tanking attacks from IgNatsu, which is nothing to sneeze at, but i'm not saying Invel has the offensive power to actually do any real damage to him. However with Ice Lock and Insta-Freeze damaging Zeref is unnecessary, which imo is why Invel has a better chance at beating Zeref than most. If Zeref treats Invel the same way he treated Natsu or Gray when they confronted him, there is a fairly good chance that Invel could Insta-Freeze and Ice Lock him before he even knows what happened.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Dont need to twist anything, because August didnt say Zeref was stronger than him. The only thing August said was that Zeref with FH stands a chance at beating Acnoloiga, while August without FH doesnt.
He said,"His Majesty can defeat Acnologia if he gets FH".He didn't say,"If i or Irene or His Majesty gets FH we will be able to defeat Acnologia".That's the difference.

Seven777

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Australia
He said,"His Majesty can defeat Acnologia if he gets FH".He didn't say,"If i or Irene or His Majesty gets FH we will be able to defeat Acnologia".That's the difference.
A difference that doesnt mention anything about Zeref's strength being the reason.
Could be immortality
Could be the simple fact that Zeref is king and they're not.
Could also be that they are referring to Neo Eclipse, and beating Acno in the past, something Zeref alone is capable of doing.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
A difference that doesnt mention anything about Zeref's strength being the reason.
Could be immortality
Could be the simple fact that Zeref is king and they're not.
Could also be that they are referring to Neo Eclipse, and beating Acno in the past, something Zeref alone is capable of doing.
1)Definetly not immortality as Chapter 534 showed us.

2)Definetly not one's position as it will not help one in defeating Acnologia.

3)And definetly not "Neo Eclipse" as Zeref himself told Gray that he didn't tell about his true plan to any of the Spriggans.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1)Definetly not immortality as Chapter 534 showed us.

2)Definetly not one's position as it will not help one in defeating Acnologia.

3)And definetly not "Neo Eclipse" as Zeref himself told Gray that he didn't tell about his true plan to any of the Spriggans.
1) Almost certainly immortality since you cant reverse time if you're dead, and unlike August, Zeref cant die even while vaporized

2) Possibly because he is king since August's faith in Zeref is absolute, he would surrender FH to Zeref no questions asked.

3) Possibly(though less likely) Neo-Eclipse because Zeref only said "he doesnt believe anyone has found out yet" however August likely knew about it since he knew Zeref was trying to "save humanity" not destroy it.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
1) Almost certainly immortality since you cant reverse time if you're dead, and unlike August, Zeref cant die even while vaporized

2) Possibly because he is king because August's faith in Zeref is absolute, he would surrender FH to Zeref no questions asked.

3) Possibly Neo-Eclipse because Zeref only said "he doesnt believe anyone has found out yet" however August likely knew about it since he knew Zeref was trying to "save humanity" not destroy it.
1)He clearly said to Gray,"You are the first person hearing this.Not even the 12 knows this".Anything else is non-Canon as of now.

2)If you gain power over time and dimension then you don't need immortality.You can easily reverse the damage you recieve.And chapter 534 clearly mentions due to FH he was able to survive from scratch and come back perfect not by his immortality.

3)And regarding your 2nd point i guess,Toma E. Fiore,Crawford Seam,Gran doma(two previous Council chairman's) and God Serena will be a good candidate for FH to fight Acnologia.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
1)He clearly said to Gray,"You are the first person hearing this.Not even the 12 knows this".Anything else is non-Canon as of now.

2)If you gain power over time and dimension then you don't need immortality.You can easily reverse the damage you recieve.And chapter 534 clearly mentions due to FH he was able to survive from scratch and come back perfect not by his immortality.

3)And regarding your 2nd point i guess,Toma E. Fiore,Crawford Seam,Gran doma(two previous Council chairman's) and God Serena will be a good candidate for FH to fight Acnologia.
1) The translation i read says only that he doesnt believe the spriggans know, yet, is yours official?

2) You cant reverse time if you're dead, the only reason Zeref was actually capable of reforming his body was because he hadnt actually died.

3) Are they members of Alvarez? Does August trust them more than anyone else? Will August obey their orders without question?

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
1) The translation i read says only that he doesnt believe the spriggans know, yet, is yours official?

2) You cant reverse time if you're dead, the only reason Zeref was actually capable of reforming his body was because he hadnt actually died.

3) Are they members of Alvarez? Does August trust them more than anyone else? Will August obey their orders without question?
As i already said there is no evidence that Spriggans know about Neo Eclipse.If Zeref doesn't tell anyone how will they know?

But if Zeref is weak then there is no way he will be able to defeat Acnologia.And August didn't say ,"anyone can defeat Acnologia if he gets FH".

Most importantly if you have control over time then you will not die.Remember Ultear's Time Magic Lost world.It changed all deaths by reversing time.FH can do the same thing by reversing Time.As we can see he reverse back the damages on GH.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
As i already said there is no evidence that Spriggans know about Neo Eclipse.If Zeref doesn't tell anyone how will they know?

But if Zeref is weak then there is no way he will be able to defeat Acnologia.And August didn't say ,"anyone can defeat Acnologia if he gets FH".

Most importantly if you have control over time then you will not die.Remember Ultear's Time Magic Lost world.It changed all deaths by reversing time.FH can do the same thing by reversing Time.As we can see he reverse back the damages on GH.
August built Alvarez together with Zeref as his right hand man, him finding out isnt unreasonable, however i cant prove anything so i'll concede here, there isnt any point talking about it.

I didnt say he was weak(i did, but that was the saltiness talking) Zeref is fairly powerful, just not on the level of August/Eileen. Zeref's immortality is why him using FH is the most logical option.

But Ultear, someone who was still alive, would be the one reversing time and bringing back her mum.
Having control over time doesnt make you un-killable, immortality does. Why would being able to control time be a reason for you still being alive despite being vaporized? Or are you seriously telling me that Natsu killed Zeref right then and there, and Zeref just reversed time from beyond the grave?

Its like this, August cant reverse time if he is dead, once Acno tears off his head the fight is over, thats why Zeref gets FH, his indestructible body makes him the only option. FH itself more than makes up for the gap in power between him and August. If both August and Zeref both get infinite magic in the end then what is the point of choosing August over Zeref? The only advantage to giving August FH is his superior magical knowledge and skill, but since Zeref is also a genius anyway, choosing the guy who is immortal is obviously the right choice.

XXEliteXXAceXX

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
But that's the thing, August said Zeref with Fairy Heart is the only person that can stand a chance against Acnologia. He never said it's because Zeref was stronger; for all we know August blindly believes Zeref should have Fairy Heart, and that with it he can take on Acnologia, even if August himself is stronger. Sign of respect and deference, unless August outright states that "base" Zeref > August. Besides which, if Natsu can't beat Acnologia then this indicates Acnologia > FH Zeref.

Though, I do think Zeref could break out of Invel's ice quickly enough. But I'm going by hype here.
That could be the case so I'll accept defeat regarding August's words as I have no way of disproving your analysis. However, I still think Zeref (leader) is stronger than any of the Spriggans (subordinates) individually. This has been kept fairly consistent (surprisingly) among the main villains throughout this series. We even have Marin who is weaker than Brandish, Bakel & Kareem who are weaker than Ajeel, Juliet & Hynhe who are weaker than Irene, and the fodder knights who are weaker than Neinhart.
I agree and he should be able to destroy Invel just as easily as END beat Dims, however END was immune to Age Seal, while even FH Zeref wont be immune to Ice Slave(as Mavis has shown).

Sure, Zeref has the feats for tanking attacks from IgNatsu, which is nothing to sneeze at, but i'm not saying Invel has the offensive power to actually do any real damage to him. However with Ice Lock and Insta-Freeze damaging Zeref is unnecessary, which imo is why Invel has a better chance at beating Zeref than most. If Zeref treats Invel the same way he treated Natsu or Gray when they confronted him, there is a fairly good chance that Invel could Insta-Freeze and Ice Lock him before he even knows what happened.
I don't see why we should put so much weight and argument into such a baseless hax. Exactly what has it achieved that makes it so impressive? It's been used on characters that were around his level or lower. And even then, they broke out. This is no different from saying Brandish, Dimaria, and Jacob can give Zeref a run for his money. In my opinion, that's absurd.

Personally, I don't think Zeref even needs to use any of the spells he used on Natsu to defeat Invel. This should work (and is somewhat instantaneous):

Once Invel is immobilized, he is a goner. Also, ignore Mest in the pages above because he won't be here to bail Invel out.

Seven777

Reaction score
Country
Australia
That could be the case so I'll accept defeat regarding August's words as I have no way of disproving your analysis. However, I still think Zeref (leader) is stronger than any of the Spriggans (subordinates) individually. This has been kept fairly consistent (surprisingly) among the main villains throughout this series. We even have Marin who is weaker than Brandish, Bakel & Kareem who are weaker than Ajeel, Juliet & Hynhe who are weaker than Irene, and the fodder knights who are weaker than Neinhart.

I don't see why we should put so much weight and argument into such a baseless hax. Exactly what has it achieved that makes it so impressive? It's been used on characters that were around his level or lower. And even then, they broke out. This is no different from saying Brandish, Dimaria, and Jacob can give Zeref a run for his money. In my opinion, that's absurd.

Personally, I don't think Zeref even needs to use any of the spells he used on Natsu to defeat Invel. This should work (and is somewhat instantaneous):

Once Invel is immobilized, he is a goner. Also, ignore Mest in the pages above because he won't be here to bail Invel out.
Nothing is impressive about Invel's hax, i have most FT fighters breaking out of his Ice and most FT fighters being too fast for Ice Slave.
But i also have most FT fighters as actually competent fighters, warriors even, while i have Zeref as more of a wizard(the old fashion kind). That initial blast that smashed Gray into the wall? Would easily do the same to Zeref imo, and Ice Armor would easily freeze him in CQC.
My point is that all Invel needs to do is catch Zeref off guard and he wins with Ice Lock, and catching Zeref off guard is imo, easier than most spriggans and FT top tiers.
Look how easily Gray froze him with incomplete Ice Shell, the spell had yet to use Gray's body or memories and Zeref was still completely immobilized, unable to retaliate

The attack Zeref used on Makarov is as likely to work as Invel insta-freezing Zeref and then Ice Locking him at the very start of the fight imo

Solitrine

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Well clearly August says the different.

"He is not an opponent we can hope to defeat.However if his Majesty were to obtain FH...That may no longer be the case".

However you want to twist or distort this statement this is admitted by August.And as it is after Chapter 533 we get to know FH gives you power to control Time and Dimension.So your statement on immortality doesn't fit here as when you can re-create your body from molecular level destruction you don't need immortality.

But the main thing is August and Irene didn't know that Zeref was planning to go to past and erase this timeline.They made their statements on the idea that Zeref would get FH and fight Acnologia in this timeline.
They knew about Fairy Heart what Zeref told them, if Zeref told them that he was going to use Fairy Heart to kill Acnologia in battle then it still doesn't mean anything about his strength in relation to August/Irene, Zeref is the only person who knows the capabilities of Fairy Heart so it is natural that he would be the wielder considering he is their leader and the only one with knowledge of FH and a plan to kill Acnologia. Nothing I can remember August saying indicates that Zeref is superior to them as Mages.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
August built Alvarez together with Zeref as his right hand man, him finding out isnt unreasonable, however i cant prove anything so i'll concede here, there isnt any point talking about it.

I didnt say he was weak(i did, but that was the saltiness talking) Zeref is fairly powerful, just not on the level of August/Eileen. Zeref's immortality is why him using FH is the most logical option.

But Ultear, someone who was still alive, would be the one reversing time and bringing back her mum.
Having control over time doesnt make you un-killable, immortality does. Why would being able to control time be a reason for you still being alive despite being vaporized? Or are you seriously telling me that Natsu killed Zeref right then and there, and Zeref just reversed time from beyond the grave?

Its like this, August cant reverse time if he is dead, once Acno tears off his head the fight is over, thats why Zeref gets FH, his indestructible body makes him the only option. FH itself more than makes up for the gap in power between him and August. If both August and Zeref both get infinite magic in the end then what is the point of choosing August over Zeref? The only advantage to giving August FH is his superior magical knowledge and skill, but since Zeref is also a genius anyway, choosing the guy who is immortal is obviously the right choice.
How can he find though?As we can see from Zeref's words,he personally didn't mention about "Neo Eclipse" to any Spriggans so it's unlikely August knows.Especially i find it abnormal August would not even react to a plan that will leave him erased.No grief,regret or tears.Even if he accepts the plan he should have showed some emotions.

They knew about Fairy Heart what Zeref told them, if Zeref told them that he was going to use Fairy Heart to kill Acnologia in battle then it still doesn't mean anything about his strength in relation to August/Irene, Zeref is the only person who knows the capabilities of Fairy Heart so it is natural that he would be the wielder considering he is their leader and the only one with knowledge of FH and a plan to kill Acnologia. Nothing I can remember August saying indicates that Zeref is superior to them as Mages.
Irene-A DS.

August-A mage knows more magics than Zeref.Infact they have better chances if they get FH.Especially Irene who is a Dragon Slayer and a prodigy in Enchantments.But still they pinned their hopes on Zeref.

Invel > Zeref

Reaction score
Country
United States
Whose giving Zeref feats he doesn't have? Natsu with Power of Feelings isn't above Igneel-powered Natsu. Igneel powered Natsu had the power to kill Zeref, Natsu without Igneel's power doesn't. Even if Natsu with Power of Feelings was above Igneel-powered Natsu, this is still not the same version of Natsu that "fought" (and fought is a generous word here) Invel. No, Natsu wasn't pumped up on POF versus Neinhart. At least, not anywhere near the same extent as he was against Zeref. Natsu burned his own arm fighting Zeref. I think you can actually see the bones on Natsu's fingers. It is absolutely absurd to say this version of Natsu was comparable to the previous versions of Natsu that fought Neinhart, or broke out of Invel's ice.
POF is turning emotions into magical power, and not everyone is equally strong with it. Natsu with POF is stronger than everyone else with POF because of his feats are better. Also, the guildmark was glowing right before Natsu used the final attack against Zeref

Natsu broke out of Invel's ice with fairly weak flames. Natsu would break out of it faster with stronger flames, such as when he fought Gray. Zeref is arguably stronger than this version of Natsu.

Gray can copy the ice from the divine raiment for his gauntlet. He used that gauntlet to crush Invel's armour. Right of the bat that should tell us that Gray's ice is stronger. Gray can use the same ice as Invel's divine railment if he wanted to, but he still resorted to lost iced shell. Ice-Make: Impact was never shown to be a particularly fast spell. Rufus reacted to it back during the GMG and Silver reacted to it during Tartarus. Invel only reacted to Zero Longsword after Gray tagged him twice with it. And this was Gray before he thought Juvia died. After Gray was pumped up on POF, Invel was basically a punching bag.
Again you are using 'he should from hype' instead of actually examining his feats. When was Zeref shown to be able to produce flames both as powerful AND hot as base Natsu's flames or partial end's flames?
Yes, Gray had to use his trump card to have hope of beating Zeref but I don't see how that means that Gray's other types of ice wouldn't work against him. Gray clearly wasn't in a condition to fight so he immediately went for what he believed to be a sure fire way to bring Zeref down before his friends got hurt. Would Gray's imitation of divine raiment work on Zeref? I see no reason why it wouldn't. Would he be able to hit Zeref with it in his injured state? Hell no.

Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Again you are using 'he should from hype' instead of actually examining his feats. When was Zeref shown to be able to produce flames both as powerful AND hot as base Natsu's flames or partial end's flames?
Yes, Gray had to use his trump card to have hope of beating Zeref but I don't see how that means that Gray's other types of ice wouldn't work against him. Gray clearly wasn't in a condition to fight so he immediately went for what he believed to be a sure fire way to bring Zeref down before his friends got hurt. Would Gray's imitation of divine raiment work on Zeref? I see no reason why it wouldn't. Would he be able to hit Zeref with it in his injured state? Hell no.
Zeref managed to overpower Natsu and forced him to use dragon force to escape his black magic. I actually have Zeref's flames as stronger than Natsu's until Natsu started using dragon force. Even then, the only attack I would say definitely outclassed Zeref was an exhaustive demolition fist. The power of feelings attacks are obviously an exception, seeing as Natsu pretty much burned his own arm using it.

Gray's gauntlets might work on Invel if it tags him, and that's a maybe. When we see it hit Invel, it didn't really trap Invel in ice. More importantly, I don't actually think Invel would be able to land hits against Zeref. Zeref can go toe to toe with Igneel-powered Natsu in CQC, and his blasts can be cast at a distance. Invel was never shown being particularly skilled in CQC. He's probably not terrible, but he couldn't keep up with Gray's hand to hand attacks. I don't actually recall invel being able to land a hit against Gray in their rematch. The same Gray went on to fight END Natsu with a stronger form, and it turned out to be pretty even. Zeref kept up with a version of Natsu that is stronger than END mode.

CaptainTorch

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Jeez, don't tell me people are seriously still dicussing Zeref vs Invel? :facepalm
I just hope Hiro explains how Natsu managed to use the attack that "burns time" so people stop comparing Natsu "Power of the Guild" version to base Natsu. It's starting to get annoying already...

Invel > Zeref

Reaction score
Country
United States
Zeref managed to overpower Natsu and forced him to use dragon force to escape his black magic. I actually have Zeref's flames as stronger than Natsu's until Natsu started using dragon force. Even then, the only attack I would say definitely outclassed Zeref was an exhaustive demolition fist. The power of feelings attacks are obviously an exception, seeing as Natsu pretty much burned his own arm using it.

Gray's gauntlets might work on Invel if it tags him, and that's a maybe. When we see it hit Invel, it didn't really trap Invel in ice. More importantly, I don't actually think Invel would be able to land hits against Zeref. Zeref can go toe to toe with Igneel-powered Natsu in CQC, and his blasts can be cast at a distance. Invel was never shown being particularly skilled in CQC. He's probably not terrible, but he couldn't keep up with Gray's hand to hand attacks. I don't actually recall invel being able to land a hit against Gray in their rematch. The same Gray went on to fight END Natsu with a stronger form, and it turned out to be pretty even. Zeref kept up with a version of Natsu that is stronger than END mode.
The first arcs of the series establish that different forms of fire magic have different qualities. So just because Zeref's black flames may be able to match Natsu in sheer power, that doesn't mean it also generates enough heat to melt Invel's ice. I believe that heat and not just explosive power is what helped Natsu melt Invel's ice and Zeref's black flames don't seem to generate a lot of heat. Plus we have no means of comparing partial END's flames with Zeref's anyway. Invel made his presence known before freezing Natsu by freezing his attacks first. Natsu tried to burn away the cold, realizes he's getting frozen, yet he couldn't do anything to prevent that. That was just a casual Invel who didn't think any of them where a threat. Unless they start the fight right next to each other I see Invel freezing Zeref's black flames and Zeref just long enough (Only a couple seconds) to ice lock him. Then he uses divine raiment to ensure victory. I doubt that Zeref can counter one of Invel's hax's but two at the same time? Nah

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
The first arcs of the series establish that different forms of fire magic have different qualities. So just because Zeref's black flames may be able to match Natsu in sheer power, that doesn't mean it also generates enough heat to melt Invel's ice. I believe that heat and not just explosive power is what helped Natsu melt Invel's ice and Zeref's black flames don't seem to generate a lot of heat. Plus we have no means of comparing partial END's flames with Zeref's anyway. Invel made his presence known before freezing Natsu by freezing his attacks first. Natsu tried to burn away the cold, realizes he's getting frozen, yet he couldn't do anything to prevent that. That was just a casual Invel who didn't think any of them where a threat. Unless they start the fight right next to each other I see Invel freezing Zeref's black flames and Zeref just long enough (Only a couple seconds) to ice lock him. Then he uses divine raiment to ensure victory. I doubt that Zeref can counter one of Invel's hax's but two at the same time? Nah
What makes you think Zeref's flames wouldn't be as hot as the ones Natsu used to overpower Invel? Frankly speaking, I think Zeref's black exploding flame blade is actually stronger than the flames Natsu used to escape Invel's ice. It was able to match one of POF Natsu's FDK demolition fist in chapter 536. It might be true that he heat was what allowed Natsu to melt the ice, but that's only if you want to melt it. It doesn't take any heat to shatter ice, and Invel's ice was never stated to be unbreakable or even particularly durable. Even if Invel's ice cannot be melted, whose to say that Zeref's magic wouldn't just shatter it? Gray was able to shatter it with brute force after all.

Natsu had no idea he was fighting someone on Invel's level. As far as Natsu was concerned, he was just fighting the Alvarez troops and someone within the troops managed to freeze one of his smaller roars. Invel knew who team Natsu were and where they were located, before any of them even knew Invel existed. This would not be the case with Invel and Zeref in this match. First of all, Invel wouldn't start the match knowing where Zeref is, but not vice-versa. They would most likely start the match with both people knowing exactly where the other are. They would also know exactly what each other are capable of. Whoever makes the first move would boil down to whoever has the faster reaction speed. Again, Zeref can keep up with Igneel-powered Natsu. Invel cannot keep up with base Gray with POF.

Last edited:

Invel > Zeref

Reaction score
Country
United States
What makes you think Zeref's flames wouldn't be as hot as the ones Natsu used to overpower Invel? Frankly speaking, I think Zeref's black exploding flame blade is actually stronger than the flames Natsu used to escape Invel's ice. It was able to match one of POF Natsu's FDK demolition fist in chapter 536. It might be true that he heat was what allowed Natsu to melt the ice, but that's only if you want to melt it. It doesn't take any heat to shatter the ice, and Invel's ice was never stated to be unbreakable or even particularly durable. Even if Invel's ice cannot be melted, whose to say that Zeref's magic wouldn't just shatter it? Gray was able to shatter it with brute force after all.

Natsu had no idea he was fighting someone on Invel's level. As far as Natsu was concerned, he was just fighting the Alvarez troops and someone within the troops managed to freeze one of his smaller roars. Invel knew who team Natsu were and where they were located, before any of them even knew Invel existed. This would not be the case with Invel and Zeref in this match. First of all, Invel wouldn't start the match knowing where Zeref is, but not vice-versa. They would most likely start the match with both people knowing exactly where the other are. They would also know exactly what each other are capable of. Whoever makes the first move would boil down to whoever has the faster reaction speed. Again, Zeref can keep up with Igneel-powered Natsu. Invel cannot keep up with base Gray with POF.
Have we ever seen Zeref use exploding flame blade outside of fairy heart mode? Why would Fairy Heart Zeref use a move he could do at the same level of strength in base mode? Larcade didn't get burned by Zeref's magic and if base Natsu was capable of instantly shattering/melting Invel's ice he would have done so. In chapter 497, Natsu sees himself getting frozen, say's "No way" while getting frozen. Invel's attack was so quick and undefensable that Natsu still couldn't use his heat to melt it or power to shatter instantly. Unlike Zeref's attacks, Invel's freezing presence is omni-directional and doesn't seem to take any effort or movement to effect non-ice mages. It doesn't matter if Zeref knows Invel's location because unless the battle starts with them as close as Zeref was to Larcade, Zeref gets himself and his black magic frozen in the beginning of the fight

Last edited:

Axiomus

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Have we ever seen Zeref use exploding flame blade outside of fairy heart mode? Why would Fairy Heat Zeref use a move he could do at the same level of strength in base mode? Larcade didn't get burned Zeref's magic and if Natsu was capable of immediately shattering/melting Invel's ice he would have done so. In chapter 497, Natsu sees himself getting frozen, say's "No way" while getting frozen but Invel's attack was so quick an undefensable that Natsu still couldn't use his heat to melt it or power to shatter instantly. Unlike Zeref's attacks, Invel's freezing presence is omni-directional and doesn't seem to take any effort or movement to effect non-ice mages. It doesn't matter if Zeref knows Invel's location because unless the battle starts with them as close as Zeref was to Larcade, Zeref gets himself and his black magic frozen in the beginning of the fight
Fairy Heart is his black magic, isn't it? I don't see why Zeref can't use exploding flame blade at a weaker level without Fairy Heart. Even if it's weaker without infinite magical power to support it, it should be so weak that it's weaker than Zeref's original magic, which again is stronger enough to trap Natsu and force him to enter DF.

Natsu had no idea what he was dealing with. Natsu had no idea where Invel was attacking him from, or that he was fighting someone on Invel's level. If Natsu knew he was fighting a Spriggan from the start, I have no doubt that he would use his stronger flames like entering FDK mode. That would melt the ice a lot faster than his base mode flames, assuming he even gets frozen in the first place. Zeref wouldn't have this problem. He should know what his Spriggans are capable of from the beginning. Zeref was standing as close to Larcade that Gray was standing to Invel. Unless Zeref's eye glare is somehow slower than Gray's punches, then Zeref is most likely getting the first hit in. We've never actually seen Invel freeze something without hand movements. In that regard, it's still whoever can make the first move and that should just boil down to whoever is faster - which imo is Zeref.

Last edited:

Invel > Zeref

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fairy Heart is his black magic, isn't it? I don't see why Zeref can't use exploding flame blade at a weaker level without Fairy Heart. Even if it's weaker without infinite magical power to support it, it should be so weak that it's weaker than Zeref's original magic, which again is stronger enough to trap Natsu and force him to enter DF.

Natsu had no idea what he was dealing with. Natsu had no idea where Invel was attacking him from, or that he was fighting someone on Invel's level. If Natsu knew he was fighting a Spriggan from the start, I have no doubt that he would use his stronger flames like entering FDK mode. That would melt the ice a lot faster than his base mode flames, assuming he even gets frozen in the first place. Zeref wouldn't have this problem. He should know what his Spriggans are capable of from the beginning.

Zeref was standing as close to Larcade that Gray was standing to Invel. Unless Zeref's eye glare is somehow slower than Gray's punches, then Zeref is most likely getting the first hit in. We've never actually seen Invel freeze something without hand movements. In that regard, it's still whoever can make the first move and that should just boil down to whoever is faster - which imo is Zeref.
Fairy Heart is infinite power. If Exploding flame blade can get combatted by friendship base Natsu even when Zeref had unlimited power then there is no feats to support that flame blade is powerful at all without Fairy Heart.
Invel's magic is faster than his physical reflexes so the only person who has managed to blitz him with punches is someone immune to Invel's insta-freeze. Larcade was not only closer to Zeref than I think Zeref vs. Invel will start out but he also wasn't expecting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.