Voting Round 3 - Naruto vs. Berserk | Page 4 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Voting Round 3 Naruto vs. Berserk

Who wins?

• Naruto

• Berserk

The results of this poll are hidden until it is manually edited by the user or site admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The President

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Before I go any further into this, I want to make clear that I think Berserk is better then Naruto in damn near every way. I'm just defending a particular character(s) that I like, not the series as a whole. So vote for Berserk.

The main theme being overcoming one's natural talent with hard work and persistence – a theme which it threw to the wayside on more than one occasion.
Thats why I said one of its themes central themes.

As far as villages went, it was established early on that Konohagakure was overly moral and just. Kakashi seemed disgusted by the hidden mist's final graduation ceremony, for example.
No such thing as a constant morally right state. There will always be those in power who arent morally right (by conventional standards at least). Danzo was one of them.

The villages were going out of their way to try and find other ways to maintain peace (such as the chuunin exams having students from multiple villages) – and even when a fight did happen, it was down to an external influence (Orochimaru) not the actual leaders of the village.
I dont see how this is any different then real life. Sure there are events that are created in an attempt to sustain good relations, but if one countries economy or head of state goes to shit you can be damn sure any other country that can afford it will take advantage of that fact. At the end of the day, peoples sense of nationalism will always prevail over any idealistic global state of peace.

If Konohagakure had actually tried dialogue with the Uchiha who weren't tried and [probably] punished for plotting a revolution, they may have had some success.
This is beyond Itachi at this point so its besides the point but I'll entertain to the point anyway. That maybe can actually be very detrimental to Konoha. Even with a 20% chance of failure, that failure could have led to another country attacking and wiping out and/or taking control of Konoha. I'm not trying to defend mass genocide here, but these types of problems occur or have occurred in real life too. You can call Danzo and the elders a bunch of idiots for having such twisted ways of thinking, but you cant call it bad writing. I actually think Danzo was a fairly brilliantly written villain in the regard that he very accurately represented the dark depths that a strong sense of nationalism can go too (and one of the few villains in Naruto that stuck to his convictions till the end).

Because Itachi (and Hiruzen, who also didn't want to kill the Uchiha) wasn't powerful enough, or smart enough to find a third solution?
Itachi most certainly did not have any say in the matter, so you can seriously start putting any "bad writing" blame on him (he was what, 13? and a mere Anbu in standing). Hiruzen wasn't very proactive on the matter, he could have punished Danzo and dismissed the idea. Perhaps the reason he didn't was because he saw where Danzo was coming from. Or perhaps he knew that even if he did Danzo would do as he liked anyways since Danzo basically run the Konoha underground.

No, you may buy that argument – but it doesn't mean that the rest of us have to also.
What? That Danzo was shady af? Or that Itachi didn't have any choice but to go along with Danzos plans? I'm afraid both are more or less factual.

No, he just invaded a foreign nation – risking a war between 2 of the most powerful nations, which would have led to massive casualties.
And, you know, killing dozens of people. Taking one of the Raikages (the equivalent of a president) limbs. Literally killing the stand-in "president" of another village. Picking a fight with ALL the other presidents. Dude was a straight up criminal, no sugar coating this.

But I don't buy that they would die anyway – nor that he would be able to bring himself to do that to all the kids.
If so, he is really hardly better than Voldemort, at that point.
If Voldemort would have killed everyone anyways, and that would have secured his victory then why wouldnt Severus kill Hogwarts to at least defeat Voldermort for good? He was a dark character and that kind of stuff wasnt beyond him (he did kill Albus on order). But that doesnt make him any less well written.

I am arguing that the whole revolution story shouldn't have been in there anyway – and not only because it was established that villages would do whatever they could to gain power (from trying to kidnap, then lie, to get a Byakugan, to forcing tailed beasts into children) – to try and kill off one of your strongest clans is tactically a rather poor plan.
Thats fine, I'm just defending a character I like that you were bashing (and if your bashing Danzo then him as well). I actually agree that it was dumb on Tobiramas part to put them in such a high position if he trusted them so little, although the Uchiha definitely were discriminated against. I mean they were literally grouped and put on the outskirts of the village. Thats pretty blatant discrimination if I've ever seen it.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
But naruto is a horrible character who got everything handed to him via his genes rather than hard work,
I actually agree with the rest of your post, but this part, HEAVILY disagree. His father isn't from a special clan, so you can't say he gained anything from that side of the family. His mother was from the Uzumaki Clan, who's only gift was unnaturally large reserves of chakra. That doesn't exactly amount to anything if you can't use it properly. It's the same as with Ichigo in Bleach, more reiatsu than anyone in the show and he still isn't a top tier fighter.
The only thing Naruto ever got handed to him was Asura's abilities. Which happened so late into the game I don't think it should even be that much of a deciding factor when it comes to looking at the series as a whole.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I actually agree with the rest of your post, but this part, HEAVILY disagree. His father isn't from a special clan, so you can't say he gained anything from that side of the family. His mother was from the Uzumaki Clan, who's only gift was unnaturally large reserves of chakra. That doesn't exactly amount to anything if you can't use it properly. It's the same as with Ichigo in Bleach, more reiatsu than anyone in the show and he still isn't a top tier fighter.
The only thing Naruto ever got handed to him was Asura's abilities. Which happened so late into the game I don't think it should even be that much of a deciding factor when it comes to looking at the series as a whole.
I disagree with you here my man. Naruto was very much handed everything. He might as well have been born with Kuramas power, one of the strongest powers in the series and he damn sure used the massive chakra pool he got from him in his training and his fights. I dont recall hard work ever paying off for Naruto like it did for someone like Lee, except for maybe with the Sage Mode training (where Kuramas chakra was actually a detriment rather then a blessing).

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I disagree with you here my man. Naruto was very much handed everything. He might as well have been born with Kuramas power, one of the strongest powers in the series and he damn sure used the massive chakra pool he got from him in his training and his fights. I dont recall hard work ever paying off for Naruto like it did for someone like Lee, except for maybe with the Sage Mode training (where Kuramas chakra was actually a detriment rather then a blessing).
Rasengan? The Summoning Technique? Rasenshuriken?
The Kyuubi point is moot because it wasn't only a detriment with Kurama's chakra, the beast itself was trying to take over his body anytime it could (And nearly succeeded in the Pain arc), it only ever became an asset when he learned to control it (To which he also needed his mom's help).
Anyone can become a Jinchuuriki in the series, Gaara was born with Shukaku's power, I don't think Jinchuuriki are exactly priviledged since we've already seen any shinobi can deal with them effectively (Half dead Orochimaru ACTUALLY surviving a Four Tailed Naruto's attack while playing the whole time is a huge indicator of this). Naruto having Kurama's power means nothing if the likes of Edo Nagato can comfortably deal with him.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Rasengan?
Maybe, I actually dont recall the rasengan training much at all tbh so I'll just concede due to lack of knowledge.

[
The Summoning Technique?
Nah, thats all thanks to the abnormally massive chakra pool he was born with. I'm pretty sure he failed miserably every single time up until Jiraiya forced him to call on Kuramas power.

Rasenshuriken?
Nah he summoned an absurd amount of clones for that training, something he wouldn't have been able to do if he was just an average joe.

The Kyuubi point is moot because it wasn't only a detriment with Kurama's chakra, the beast itself was trying to take over his body anytime it could (And nearly succeeded in the Pain arc), it only ever became an asset when he learned to control it (To which he also needed his mom's help).
Thats just blatantly wrong though. He called on Kuramas power a bunch of times, sometimes literally going face to face with the beast and commanding him to give him chakra. Even as a kid.

Anyone can become a Jinchuuriki in the series, Gaara was born with Shukaku's power, I don't think Jinchuuriki are exactly priviledged since we've already seen any shinobi can deal with them effectively (Half dead Orochimaru ACTUALLY surviving a Four Tailed Naruto's attack while playing the whole time is a huge indicator of this). Naruto having Kurama's power means nothing if the likes of Edo Nagato can comfortably deal with him.
Jinchuriki are privileged, because its kids being equipped with the power of a nuke. They get perks that no other average joe would ever even dream, as evidenced by the fact that they were all amongst the most powerful characters in the series. Any? Come on, literally only kage level fighters could. Or Orochimaru who is damn near impossible to kill regardless of sickness, not that he actually did any damage to even a 4 tailed Naruto. He just survived.

Why does Naruto having kuramas power mean nothing just because one of the strongest characters in the series could deal with him? Thats not a valid point at all when 99% of the rest of the cast cannot.

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Before I go any further into this, I want to make clear that I think Berserk is better then Naruto in damn near every way. I'm just defending a particular character(s) that I like, not the series as a whole. So vote for Berserk.
Aye, got that.

If you are worried about other people reading our conversation and voting against Berserk, we can take this to spoiler?

This is beyond Itachi at this point so its besides the point but I'll entertain to the point anyway. That maybe can actually be very detrimental to Konoha. Even with a 20% chance of failure, that failure could have led to another country attacking and wiping out and/or taking control of Konoha.
But having one of your most well known and strongest clans wiped out overnight won't be seen as weakness?

This kind of thing happening won't lead to other countries also smelling blood in the water?

but you cant call it bad writing.
I am afraid I can and am.

I actually think Danzo was a fairly brilliantly written villain in the regard that he very accurately represented the dark depths that a strong sense of nationalism can go too (and one of the few villains in Naruto that stuck to his convictions till the end).
I don't believe that, taken as a whole, he wasn't all that badly written either.

It is possible to write good characters into a terrible story decision.

Itachi most certainly did not have any say in the matter, so you can seriously start putting any "bad writing" blame on him (he was what, 13? and a mere Anbu in standing).
Ah, only 13, yet given the responsibility to perform what you consider to be one of the most vital (and possibly emotionally destroying) tasks which someone could do?

How could they trust him not to warn any of the Uchiha?

He obviously had some degree of trust from the leaders of the village - I am sure his words wouldn't have been entirely brushed off (especially considering how the third was supposed to feel about the whole plan).

Hiruzen wasn't very proactive on the matter, he could have punished Danzo and dismissed the idea. Perhaps the reason he didn't was because he saw where Danzo was coming from. Or perhaps he knew that even if he did Danzo would do as he liked anyways since Danzo basically run the Konoha underground.
Or perhaps he was ineffectual as a leader.
This wouldn't be the first time he stood on the sidelines and let a terrible tragedy occur - he let Orochimaru escape after his secret laboratory was revealed, after all.

He also didn't do enough to make Naruto feel welcome in Konohagakure (and left him as an orphan, living by himself).
It would have been very easy to house him with a kindly family, keep watch over him (in case anything goes wrong with the seal/some other village tries to kidnap him/whatever), all under the pretence of looking after Minato's child.

He didn't even tell Naruto who his parents were...

Or that Itachi didn't have any choice but to go along with Danzos plans?
This one.

If Voldemort would have killed everyone anyways, and that would have secured his victory then why wouldnt Severus kill Hogwarts to at least defeat Voldermort for good? He was a dark character and that kind of stuff wasnt beyond him (he did kill Albus on order). But that doesnt make him any less well written.
Firstly, Dumbledore asked him to do as much (kill him I mean).

Secondly, Snape would have no guarantee that killing all the children would defeat Voldemort for good.
He acted a dark character, but he wasn't that dark.

But, anyway, that is besides the point. I am not arguing that Snape wasn't well written.

Thats fine, I'm just defending a character I like that you were bashing (and if your bashing Danzo then him as well).
No harm no foul.

You weren't rude or aggressive, just stated things as you saw them.

Happy to argue/discuss with folk that do that.
:verily

although the Uchiha definitely were discriminated against. I mean they were literally grouped and put on the outskirts of the village. Thats pretty blatant discrimination if I've ever seen it.
Check the map I posted before.
'Outskirts of the village' is really stretching it.

They are no further out than the Hyuuga, Aburame, or Inuzuka clans were.

Nii

First Shield
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I agree with zimbo regarding Itachi... heavily overrated, probably among the worst characters of the story, in my eyes.

Doesn't prevent me from voting for Naruto though, even if it's up against Berserk. Nostalgia and personal attachment is just that strong. Barely any series managed to move me as much as Naruto, not even Berserk. It does pain my heart to vote against one of the best manga out there, but Naruto it is.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Oh really? When have we ever seen a single talented person whose dad wasn't awesome? Remember hiruzen? His son was one of the more competent jonin in kohoha. Remember kakashi? his dad was regarded about as high as the sannin. Remember chouji? The guy mastered his clan's trechniques by age 16 for reasons. Shikamaru? About as smart as his dad. Shiba? Seemingly very competent at whatever his clan does. Sure, the namikaze probably were no senju but come on, the context here is clearly that if your parents are awesome then you have a more than good chance to be awesome yourself. As for the uzumaki clan's only gift being an unnaturally large reserve of chakra.... First of all, unnaturally large chakra reserves is a HUGE deal. Second, it goes well beyond than that, the uzumaki are essentially senju and get the full benefit of being such.

On top of that naruto was given a biju which gave him even more chakra. Sure, kurama wasn't always cool but even at it's worst the benefits of kurama outweighed the cons. by far at that.

And to boot naruto's genes, which made him being born morally better than the worthless peasants around him (because being physically stronger clearly wasn't enough), were also a gateway for naruto to get even more stuff (the azura stuff). And of course naruto then got chakra from all biju along with the sage's chakra which means he can use all elemental transformations and a bunch of fusion along with the black stuff which has all elements in it.

Naruto was never untalented. The notion that he was untalented is asinine and indefensible. Naruto did poorly at ninja school at first because literally the entirety of society was kicking him down. You know what happens to a normal human being when the entirety of society kicks him while he is down? Depression, drugs, probably death. To naruto the bulk of that just made him sad and he got over it with a tiny shred of positive reinforcement which allowed him to learn taju kage bushin, a kage level feat, over the course of a few hours. hard work? naruto learned the rasengan, an A rank technique in months when he was 10. That would have been a feat for a grown ass man. Rasenshuriken? His chakra reserves allowed him to do decades worth of training in a day. Sage mode? His chakra reserves allowed him to do that in weeks. And even better than jiraiya did at that. Unless anyone wants to pretend naruto working hard for two whole weeks for sage mode counts as hard work clearly naruto had it EXTREMELY easy. Not a single thing naruto did is explained by hard work. In turn each and every thing he did is perfectly explained by naruto having the superior gene set. Unless you expect me to believe naruto's peers could have learned the rasengan if they worked hard....

As for ichigo, there is one big difference there. No one pretends ichigo got to where he did because of hard work. Bleach never even references that. Bleach embraced the simple fact that ichigo was awesome because he was born stronger than everyone and simply went with it. Anyone pretending ichigo did any of the stuff he did because he worked hard is delusional. The entirety of training arcs we saw in the manga, which is literally all of the time ichigo trained altogether, probably is at the most several months. There is more merit to ichigo's grades than his overall power.

The President

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If you are worried about other people reading our conversation and voting against Berserk, we can take this to spoiler?
All good, Berserk gonna win anyways.

But having one of your most well known and strongest clans wiped out overnight won't be seen as weakness?

This kind of thing happening won't lead to other countries also smelling blood in the water?
Surely better then the alternative of civil war, at which point Konoha would be fighting essentially two enemies. Hell, the Uchihas would have been able to strike a deal (which im actually confused as to why they didnt) with another country to help take down the Konoha establishment all the easier as many rebellions actually went down that way in real life.

It is possible to write good characters into a terrible story decision.
Sure, but the "terrible" story decision is directly linked to Danzos actions here. So claiming the decision was badly written is no different then claiming Danzo, or at least his actions were. And doing so would be ignoring the type of character he was written to be in the context of the story. And thats not even getting into Itachi.

Ah, only 13, yet given the responsibility to perform what you consider to be one of the most vital (and possibly emotionally destroying) tasks which someone could do?
His age was meant to be a reflection on his status rather then his capabilities. Point is who tf would take a 13 year olds opinion on Konohas state seriously, regardless of how talented/effective they are as killers?

How could they trust him not to warn any of the Uchiha?
Because he was leaking all the Uchiha information to them.

He obviously had some degree of trust from the leaders of the village - I am sure his words wouldn't have been entirely brushed off (especially considering how the third was supposed to feel about the whole plan).
But he didn't. At no point did the elders ask of his opinion on the matter, and I dont think it would be logical to do so anyways.

Or perhaps he was ineffectual as a leader.
This wouldn't be the first time he stood on the sidelines and let a terrible tragedy occur - he let Orochimaru escape after his secret laboratory was revealed, after all.

He also didn't do enough to make Naruto feel welcome in Konohagakure (and left him as an orphan, living by himself).
It would have been very easy to house him with a kindly family, keep watch over him (in case anything goes wrong with the seal/some other village tries to kidnap him/whatever), all under the pretence of looking after Minato's child.
Yeah, hes not the most efficient hokage. He got dupped a number of times. That doesnt speak on Itachi tho, who is the character I'm defending here.

This one.
Well its true. Danzo straight up told him, either you help us take out the Uchihas and we could afford to spare the one thats most precious to you or we take out all the Uchiha ourselves including yourself. Itachi opted with the decision that at the very least saves his younger brother and prevents a potential civil war which would number up even more casualties. I dont see anything wrong with that at all.

Firstly, Dumbledore asked him to do as much (kill him I mean).

Secondly, Snape would have no guarantee that killing all the children would defeat Voldemort for good.
He acted a dark character, but he wasn't that dark.
Yea I know. Im talking under the circumstances that there was a guarantee, like there was the guarantee that his brothers life would be spared. I believe not only by Danzo (who admittedly cant be trusted) but Hiruzen himself.

Check the map I posted before.
'Outskirts of the village' is really stretching it.

They are no further out than the Hyuuga, Aburame, or Inuzuka clans were.
Were they? Then you have a point. Fair enough, the Uchiha rebels were dumb af as well. But that still has no barring on Itachis character or descion (if anything, maybe he killed them because they were dumbasses :yodawg)

z.5

Only Half Psychic
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All good, Berserk gonna win anyways.

Surely better then the alternative of civil war, at which point Konoha would be fighting essentially two enemies.
The Uchiha were taken out within the course of a single night.

Sure, there were strong Uchiha in the village, who would have been harder to kill, but the majority were probably children, the elderly, and people who weren't mission-experienced expert battle-hardened ninja.

Also, look how long it took for the Sand village attack to get cleaned up. It is likely that they brought some of their strongest ninjas to that fight (they brought Gaara, their only jinchurichi, ffs) and it was over in an afternoon.

The Uchiha would have been having to fight every clan within Konohagakure.

Best I could see them doing would be a tactical retreat.

Hell, the Uchihas would have been able to strike a deal (which im actually confused as to why they didnt) with another country to help take down the Konoha establishment all the easier as many rebellions actually went down that way in real life.
Firstly, the leaders in Konoha knew what the Uchiha were plotting (due to Itachi) and were always knew their plans 1 step ahead of them.

Secondly, the Uchiha probably understood that there was no way they could trust any of the other countries.

Also, they probably wondered what the point in trying to brutally overthrow one leader, to sell yourselves into subservience to another, would be.

Sure, but the "terrible" story decision is directly linked to Danzos actions here. So claiming the decision was badly written is no different then claiming Danzo, or at least his actions were.
Danzo's actions were pure plot convenience – they don't impact on the integrity [in a narrative sense] of his overall character at all, in my opinion.

He had to act like an idiot, otherwise Kishimoto wouldn't have had an even harder way of pushing that plot twist into the story.

Point is who tf would take a 13 year olds opinion on Konohas state seriously, regardless of how talented/effective they are as killers?
Someone who wants to train smart, effective, ninjas.

Someone who is asking a 13 year old boy to kill his family (and trusts him to do as much).

It appears that in the Naruto world, children grow up fast. They are given much greater responsibility at a much younger age.

Of course they would trust the opinion of a Uchiha, when they are trying to plan out a horrific genocide on the Uchiha – through the use of that said Uchiha.
He knows his clan best.

He knows how they think, what they are likely to do, what they desire, who they are, better than anyone else.

Because he was leaking all the Uchiha information to them.
Asking someone to leak information about their family and asking them to brutalize their family are 2 different things.

But he didn't. At no point did the elders ask of his opinion on the matter, and I dont think it would be logical to do so anyways.
Well, Hiruzen, the defacto leader, certainly did discuss with Itachi.

And about the logic of doing so, I guess here is another place where we are in disagreement.

Yeah, hes not the most efficient hokage. He got dupped a number of times. That doesnt speak on Itachi tho, who is the character I'm defending here.
He was duped into murdering his girlfriend, his friends and family.

You said
Perhaps the reason he didn't was because he saw where Danzo was coming from. Or perhaps he knew that even if he did Danzo would do as he liked anyways since Danzo basically run the Konoha underground.
I was arguing against that.

His ineffectual nature meant that it isn't possible to say what he was thinking.
Had he wanted to, arresting Danzo would have been possible, as would arresting the Uchiha leaders.

Well its true. Danzo straight up told him, either you help us take out the Uchihas and we could afford to spare the one thats most precious to you or we take out all the Uchiha ourselves including yourself. Itachi opted with the decision that at the very least saves his younger brother and prevents a potential civil war which would number up even more casualties. I dont see anything wrong with that at all.
I think I have dealt with the fact that I don't believe that would be the only method to stop a civil war.

As for 'saving his younger brother' – he knew he couldn't trust Danzo in this either. He'd have been better taking Sasuke with him and mind-fucking him into thinking something else happened (thus having to flee), had he really wanted to ensure Sasuke's safety from Danzo.

There are many things he could have done.

Hell, he could have told the Uchiha who were living happily in the city and the regular civilians about the plot. He could have forced the Uchiha leader's (and Danzo's) hand for them – it is likely that not all the Uchiha would suddenly take up arms.
The third would have been able to get ANBU/ninja there ready (had Itachi prewarned him).
The fight might happen, but it would have been brief, the Uchiha could have been captured alive (there are numerous techniques shown in the series to do as much), tried – fairly, and the rest of the Uchiha would have seen justice prevail.

That's just one potential way the whole shitty event could have been stopped, which wouldn't make Itachi appear such a contemptible character.

If you really see nothing wrong with what happened, then I am not sure we will ever be able to reach an accord.

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
I wouldn't necessarily justify Itachi's actions, but I wouldn't completely bash them. He was a cool character imo, but morally, well, he wasn't always the best. I'm divided on the uchiha genocide. On the decisions, I would say Itachi had no choice. No choice in the sense that he couldn't directly object. He may have been the most skilled killer, but that doesn't give him a right to speak at the high table on such matters to be frank, and it doesn't help that he was basically still a kid at that point. On him agreeing to the act, well, if it was only his life in the balance, I'm pretty sure he would have given it. But on one hand, he was offered a chance to save the two things he loved the most (his brother and the village from potential civil war) and on the other, he would have lost everything. He made a selfish decision at that point (since he basically did it for sasuke) but it's not that farfetched. A lot would opt to protect their own first, and it's not like the he and the clan were on particularly good terms. Also he knew who he was dealing with at the time. Danzou is certainly someone who would follow through and doesn't mind extremes. Of course killing isn't right, but in a way, it was the better of the two options he was presented with at the time. He may have chosen selfishly, but it was the lesser 'evil'. The problem lies on Hiruzen. The situation escalated that much because of his poor leadership, and even at that level, he couldn't control things. There could have been a better solution but his negligence resulted in the situation itachi found himself in. Now itachi killing the entire clan including children is something else, but he was already a cold blooded killer before then. I don't think there was much of a conscience left in him anyway. His actions after that are inexcusable though, but ultimately, he is an example of someone that went to all lengths for what he wanted to protect. It's rotten and came at the expense of others but it was his own priority. Considering his background, it shouldn't be surprising

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I agree with zimbo regarding Itachi... heavily overrated, probably among the worst characters of the story, in my eyes.

Doesn't prevent me from voting for Naruto though, even if it's up against Berserk. Nostalgia and personal attachment is just that strong. Barely any series managed to move me as much as Naruto, not even Berserk. It does pain my heart to vote against one of the best manga out there, but Naruto it is.

Nii :wtf:waah
Oh really? When have we ever seen a single talented person whose dad wasn't awesome? Remember hiruzen? His son was one of the more competent jonin in kohoha. Remember kakashi? his dad was regarded about as high as the sannin. Remember chouji? The guy mastered his clan's trechniques by age 16 for reasons. Shikamaru? About as smart as his dad. Shiba? Seemingly very competent at whatever his clan does. Sure, the namikaze probably were no senju but come on, the context here is clearly that if your parents are awesome then you have a more than good chance to be awesome yourself. As for the uzumaki clan's only gift being an unnaturally large reserve of chakra.... First of all, unnaturally large chakra reserves is a HUGE deal. Second, it goes well beyond than that, the uzumaki are essentially senju and get the full benefit of being such.
Jiraiya? Orochimaru? Kabuto?
Having an awesome dad is just that, having an awesome dad. It has NOTHING to do with your abilities. Remember Gai? His father was a genin for life, much like Naruto and Sasuke for the whole manga, and Gai ended up being one of the most powerful shinobi in the Five Elemental Nations.
So what if they're essentually Senju? Tobirama himself was a Senju like Hashirama, and yet his brother far eclipsed him as far as abilities went. I think you''re placing too much emphasis on this matter of chakra. Kage level Ninja also have large reserves of chakra, but unlike Naruto they know how to use these reserves appropriately. That's what makes them outstanding shinobi.
On top of that naruto was given a biju which gave him even more chakra. Sure, kurama wasn't always cool but even at it's worst the benefits of kurama outweighed the cons. by far at that.
But he wasn't the only Jinchuuriki....?
How would you account for all the others?
And to boot naruto's genes, which made him being born morally better than the worthless peasants around him (because being physically stronger clearly wasn't enough), were also a gateway for naruto to get even more stuff (the azura stuff). And of course naruto then got chakra from all biju along with the sage's chakra which means he can use all elemental transformations and a bunch of fusion along with the black stuff which has all elements in it.
I agree with this one, tbh, Naruto getting all the Tailed Beasts's chakra was overkill.
naruto learned the rasengan, an A rank technique in months when he was 10. That would have been a feat for a grown ass man.
Unless you expect me to believe naruto's peers could have learned the rasengan if they worked hard....
Konohamaru learned the technique :errr
Rasenshuriken? His chakra reserves allowed him to do decades worth of training in a day. Sage mode? His chakra reserves allowed him to do that in weeks. And even better than jiraiya did at that.
Still under people's guidance, compared to the likes of Sasuke who can develop an entire new jutsu on their own (Kirin), or even Neji with Kaiten, Naruto doing this under a mentor isn't really something to write home about.
Jiraiya didn't even focus on his Sage Mode training since he didn't spend time at Mount Myoboku, plus he admitted he doesn't like the mode since it makes him physically unappealing to women. It's pretty obvious he didn't put in as much effort as Naruto did.
As for ichigo, there is one big difference there. No one pretends ichigo got to where he did because of hard work. Bleach never even references that. Bleach embraced the simple fact that ichigo was awesome because he was born stronger than everyone and simply went with it. Anyone pretending ichigo did any of the stuff he did because he worked hard is delusional. The entirety of training arcs we saw in the manga, which is literally all of the time ichigo trained altogether, probably is at the most several months. There is more merit to ichigo's grades than his overall power.
Fair enough, but you forget he was the product of a Captain and a Quincy. It's the same as Naruto's lineage, except with Ichigo he has the added advantage of inheriting direct abilities from his parents (Getsuga Tensho and Blut Vene). Naruto has nothing of the sorts.

Reactions: Nii

MasterKurosawa

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Italy
As far as characters go, Naruto had the more interesting ones in my mind.

Considering how you went on to bash several major characters in Naruto, care to explain this comment? I do think Berserk´s characters are vastly superior to whatever Naruto produced in its runtime.

I am afraid that I don't believe so.

They arrest the leaders, show evidence of them plotting to overthrow the village, emphasize how much of a terrible idea that is (and how much everyone, including those who were ninjas, would suffer if such a thing was to happen), point out how even if they did perform a coup they would likely lose anyway...

All this to a clan, most of which, from what we know, weren't even aware that a coup was being planned, didn't appear to be overly power-hungry, didn't appear to feel mistreated/resent the rest of the village...

Then, why didn't Itachi (a genius
) just take out Danzo instead?

They could have arrested the plotters, Danzo would be gone, and Itachi would still appear a villain - though at least he may have a modicum of justification for his actions this way.

If anything, this might have ensured that the remaining Uchihas wouldn´t act up anymore. I an alternative world, the planned revolt followed by the arrest of its leaders might have led to the Uchiha clan losing its position of trust in Konoha, in turn causing them to be surveilled and shamed for what happened. They would´ve wanted to atone for that and restore their honour, which could´ve led to Sasuke, witnessing the suffering of his fellow clansman and especially his mother, pursuing Itachi, Danzo´s killer, in order to prove that their clan was loyal to Konoha after all, only to uncover Danzo´s own plans.

The main question is, for those who have read both, can people name a similar point in Berserk?

Although I haven't caught up to the end of Berserk yet (and think there are far superior mangas in this competition), I haven't felt the crushing loss of potential with Berserk as I have with Naruto.

Well, I´ve yet to catch up myself, but I do actually hear complaints about arcs post Golden age. Something about slightly more shonen-esque developments, a loli, magic, miniature Naruto and pirates. Basically, a crass change from the semi-political drama and tragedy that was Golden age. Whether or not those complaints are actually valid I couldn´t say though.

And you´re a monster. Again, not sure about what happens after, but I dare you to tell me a manga far superior to Berserk´s golden age arc.

For me, Naruto's 'love' for Sasuke (and wanting to save him), could easily have been chalked up to Konohagakure wanting to track down and kill Sasuke (due to their archaic laws on ninjas leaving the village) and Naruto empathizing with Sasuke and wanting to save him from Konohagakure - by bringing him back to the village and convincing the leaders for leniency.

Now that I write that, had it ended with Naruto bringing Sasuke back (after he had taken his revenge on Itachi [still a bad guy in my rewriting]) and the village trying and executing Sasuke. Followed by the Naruto flipping out and finally going full 9 tails, before being killed (last panel being his dead body next to Sasuke's), I believe it could have been an insanely epic and poignant end to the manga.
I´m… not really sure what the point of it all would have been with that kind of ending though. Perhaps I´m and idiot and completely missing it, and I do not mean to defend Naruto´s actual ending, but what would have been the message in such an ending? Empathy is wrong? Naruto was a fool who couldn´t believe his dear friend changed? Konoha is evil and Naruto was born to suffer under them? Really, under different circumstances/a complete rewrite it might be a great ending, but not with the kind of portrayal Naruto got as rising star and pacifist, something that was not ever shown as something bad or misguided on his part. Whether or not he was misguided in reality is one thing, but suddenly switching to an ending that built on something not shown in the manga would be inconsistent. Same for Konohagakure. Though the village´s leaders may have made many mistakes, their overall portrayal was positive as well, which would then beg the question of why they would lead to both MC´s deaths.

That said I do agree with your general point that Kishimoto destroys his villains. Tobi being the prime example of a character who had potential to be one of the most memorable villains in manga, but ended up being......one of the most memorable villains in manga for all the wrong reasons. And Nagato, who provided us with one hell of an argument that pushed the MC to the point of being speechless, but then conceded to the retort of just trust me in one of the most bafflingly dumb conversions I've ever seen. Orochimaru is another terribly misused main antagonist, going from being an iconic villain and a display of how to do "bad for the sake of being bad" right, to falling as low as becoming comedic relief (which is just extremely cringy).I am almost certain that none of the Berserk villains will fall as low as these terribly executed main villains did.

Kishimoto certainly has a tendency to do so, but, honestly, I don´t think his villains were particularly great to begin with. Tobi had potential, but never rose to it as you saw. Nagato was not bad and, though misguided, did have interesting aspirations and the will to follow through with them, but was not particularly deep or groundbreaking. His argument was mostly not answered at first because Naruto is not exactly a stellar protagonist, and anything more complex than a black and white view has a good chance of confusing him. Nagato´s idea of peace by fear/oppression is not new, and Nagato didn´t really add anything new to the table other than some talk of never-ending hatred based on his own experiences. His following trust in Naruto was indeed laughable, but he was never fantastic to begin with, just decent to good. Same for Orochimaru, really. He wasn´t bad, but in the end not much more than a well-executed and charming form of “scientist focusing on research above anything else”. Which is perfectly fine, I didn´t come to Naruto expecting to see something rivalling actual literature, but nevertheless I do think it is important to note that Naruto´s characters hardly, if ever, rose above playing with their tropes.

Berserk´s Griffith and his relationship with Guts are in an entirely different ballpark in comparison, and no matter what Miura may do from here on out, it´ll never ruin the beauty that was the golden age arc.

This in part because Griffith doesn´t even start out as a villain in our story and is in fact a deeply ironic and tragic being. His position as the one to defeat Guts and make him his subordinate leads to us exploring his character long before his position as antagonist is established (something that the first three volumes undermine a bit I´m afraid, as they slightly spoil the impact Golden age´s ending might have otherwise had). At this point already Griffith is fleshed out more than most characters in Naruto ever were. We get to know him as a charismatic, intelligent man with ambitions far beyond his humble birth. We see as he refuses to live in the shadows of the world, wanting to prove his worth and reason for existing in the world. He gathers allies, saves them from their own predicaments and inspires them to follow him in his quest, even willing to sell his body to a noble to get closer to it. Eventually, with his growing belief in his future position as king, he begins to lose his own sense of morals and empathy. Coping with the death he himself incurred in his path, he rationalizes his actions as necessary in order to succeed, and begins to view his comrades as lesser beings, refusing to acknowledge those who would not follow their own dream as true friends, as equals. His relationship with Guts is not particularly different at first, and in fact, Guts is the one who is saved by Griffith and his band from his own violent past at first, finally regaining some of his long-lost happiness, and finding people to trust in. But as his prowess in battle is made more and more clear, he begins to gain Griffith´s favour as his right-hand man, and becomes the first Griffith decides to confine in, for the first time starting to think that another could become his equal. Yet, tragically, the same growth that leads to Guts gaining Griffith´s trust is also the one that would lead to the split between the two. Eventually wishing to find his own dream and path in life after Griffith´s goal seems finally within reach, he leaves the band of the hawks, breaking Griffith´s trust and leaving him alone once more. And yet, Guts´ leaving is what truly cements his position as the sole man who did not choose to serve Griffith´s dream, ironically fulfilling the criteria Griffith himself had set in order for somebody to be considered a true friend. And it is at this point that Griffith truly begins to transcend his character and becomes one with a major theme of the manga: human craving for a purpose, for a reason, their inability to live without any further, higher meaning, and the suffering that inevitably follows from it (something that is also represented by the idea of evil, a being that exists because of humanity´s existential guilt, which is shown in how, rather than realizing what truly matters, almost every major character craves for something which they cannot have, only becoming aware of their losses after the fact). Distraught from losing what became his pillar of support, Griffith breaks down, fleeing into the arms of the princess who loved him, in a desperate attempt to replace the void left in his heart. Having this backfire is what seals his fate, and he is ultimately left to rot in a dungeon.

His reunion with Guts then is simply a reminder of his failure, and as he notices Guts´ happiness with Casca, he begins to harbour hatred for him, hatred for the man who should have been his and yet refused to be so, hatred for the fact that he alone was suffering. And, oh so famously, this leads to the so-called eclipse, where Griffith reaffirms his dream in wanting to be a king, embracing that he ironically was a slave to it all along, and thus with it the idea of evil itself, finally sacrificing even Casca and Guts to his megalomaniac quest. With this action he also gives up on his own human emotions, by way of betraying the one man who ever managed to make him forget his own dream. This is simply fantastic as a development, as it cements Griffith´s position as a villain, as a man with no regard for other´s wishes, while remaining extremely believable and relevant to the themes of the manga. The tragedy happens because in the end Griffith refused to give up on his dream, coldly arguing that too many have died and it was his responsibility to continue, refusing the idea that he could live without following the destiny the idea of evil imposed on him, thus beginning a new era of darkness, symbolic for the suffering that humanity chose to impose on itself, with Griffith´s rise to Femto being the metaphor for it. Guts´ character in the following arcs is deeply reflected by this as well. Being consumed by revenge, he too is blinded to what it is he should do, and chooses to follow a path that can only leave destruction in its wake, both his and others´, when just before the eclipse he was finally ready to move on and live for himself. I hear he begins to better himself once more after meeting new comrades, but it remains clear that he and Griffith are foils and parallels to one another. And it is simply beautiful to witness just how intricate the parallels and symbolisms between those two are. Nothing, absolutely no villain Naruto came up with could compare to this epic tale of the fall of a once noble man who simply wished for acknowledgement in life. Because whereas the former largely revels in its tropes without trying to go beyond their purpose, the latter has a haunting message to deliver, and does so by showing us in minute detail Griffith´s descent to darkness and the meaning behind it. In fact, I´m afraid my piece here does not do him or the work in general justice considering how hastily and shoddily this was written, as there are books that could be written about Berserk. It is by no means flawless, but I do think it is a truly amazing work and Griffith is, along with Guts and the manga´s various other themes, encompassing, among others, fatherhood, human selfishness and depravity, and the act of enduring life´s hardships, one of the central reasons behind its greatness.

Following that, we have an incredibly brief stop from a woman who ate a piece of fruit.

(should never have been in the manga to begin with - oh, that said, she wasn't in it to begin with... perhaps she should have stayed that way).

Too bad Naruto wasn´t a One Piece fan. Could have simply drowned the woman with the chakra chakra fruit.

Pretty much this. One of the things I pay a lot of attention to nowadays when I read something is how pound for pound the characters are used. What I have come to the conclusion of is that while no series is perfect in this regard, and "how well used" they are is VERY subjective, I think a lot of series tend to waste sometimes close to half their cast by not giving them any proper development or value as the series progresses. Naruto completely abandons a large portion of the Konoha 11 in the second half. Which to me is a sad sight, considering how well done they were overall in the first half. This is by no means exclusive to Naruto, as I think pretty much every one of the big three and many others have this problem to a degree. It becomes quantity over quality, which I personally don't think is ever good unless you are really going for comedy (in which case personalities and such are good enough many times).

Eh, Bleach does have this problem as well, but One Piece? If we´re talking about side characters from an island, yes, but that´s due to the format of the story, and can´t be considered that much of a fault as such. The individual arcs tend to conclude those characters´ stories without any left over points to address, so it would be rather forced to keep reusing them on islands they have no business on. The characters who ARE present in most arcs do also get their time to shine. Especially in the recent arcs, Oda has made it a point to make use of the straw hats and their strengths as much as possible, with even Brook (the one who was arguably least useful before the current arc) becoming a favourite of many with the amount of work and dedication he puts in. Developments are admittedly very slow, but hardly inexistent, and characters that should not be forgotten about rarely are.

EDIT: Well, in any case, sup guys, newbie here. Was a lurker for a while though, and just wanted to comment on Berserk because hey, Berserk. And images don´t work. Probably because I suck. Oh well.

Nevertheless, @Emperor Spriggan has my compliments for campaining so hard for Naruto. I unfortunately am no fan of it but it is always nice to see passionate people.

Last edited:

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Naruto was blessed from the start, that much is true, but he also did put in effort. He may have had it easier thanks to his innate abilities, but some of what he did was hard work too. He may have had the stamina to keep training all night, but that's it. It doesn't make his training easier, and he he wasn't particularly good at grabbing things in the first place. The stamina means he won't flat out die from exhaustion but he gets close enough, and we see this multiple times when medics chide him and say he has to avoid activities for weeks and even months because of the strain. And then, kyuubi's healing comes in to reduce that to a couple of days, but this is after the fact. He got hurt in the first place after all. In the end, it was mostly Naruto compacting months of training into weeks with KB, compaction which was possible thanks to large chakra reserves and kyuubi's healing admittedly, but that doesn't change the effort he put in. He trains faster, but trains much harder as well. Most times he's even unable to move and lies there drained.

Naruto was definitely blessed with abilities and also kyuubi, those helped him a lot, but the notion that none of what he achieved required hardwork or effort is not something I can agree with

Aizen

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Considering how you went on to bash several major characters in Naruto, care to explain this comment? I do think Berserk´s characters are vastly superior to whatever Naruto produced in its runtime.

If anything, this might have ensured that the remaining Uchihas wouldn´t act up anymore. I an alternative world, the planned revolt followed by the arrest of its leaders might have led to the Uchiha clan losing its position of trust in Konoha, in turn causing them to be surveilled and shamed for what happened. They would´ve wanted to atone for that and restore their honour, which could´ve led to Sasuke, witnessing the suffering of his fellow clansman and especially his mother, pursuing Itachi, Danzo´s killer, in order to prove that their clan was loyal to Konoha after all, only to uncover Danzo´s own plans.

Well, I´ve yet to catch up myself, but I do actually hear complaints about arcs post Golden age. Something about slightly more shonen-esque developments, a loli, magic, miniature Naruto and pirates. Basically, a crass change from the semi-political drama and tragedy that was Golden age. Whether or not those complaints are actually valid I couldn´t say though.

And you´re a monster. Again, not sure about what happens after, but I dare you to tell me a manga far superior to Berserk´s golden age arc.

I´m… not really sure what the point of it all would have been with that kind of ending though. Perhaps I´m and idiot and completely missing it, and I do not mean to defend Naruto´s actual ending, but what would have been the message in such an ending? Empathy is wrong? Naruto was a fool who couldn´t believe his dear friend changed? Konoha is evil and Naruto was born to suffer under them? Really, under different circumstances/a complete rewrite it might be a great ending, but not with the kind of portrayal Naruto got as rising star and pacifist, something that was not ever shown as something bad or misguided on his part. Whether or not he was misguided in reality is one thing, but suddenly switching to an ending that built on something not shown in the manga would be inconsistent. Same for Konohagakure. Though the village´s leaders may have made many mistakes, their overall portrayal was positive as well, which would then beg the question of why they would lead to both MC´s deaths.

Kishimoto certainly has a tendency to do so, but, honestly, I don´t think his villains were particularly great to begin with. Tobi had potential, but never rose to it as you saw. Nagato was not bad and, though misguided, did have interesting aspirations and the will to follow through with them, but was not particularly deep or groundbreaking. His argument was mostly not answered at first because Naruto is not exactly a stellar protagonist, and anything more complex than a black and white view has a good chance of confusing him. Nagato´s idea of peace by fear/oppression is not new, and Nagato didn´t really add anything new to the table other than some talk of never-ending hatred based on his own experiences. His following trust in Naruto was indeed laughable, but he was never fantastic to begin with, just decent to good. Same for Orochimaru, really. He wasn´t bad, but in the end not much more than a well-executed and charming form of “scientist focusing on research above anything else”. Which is perfectly fine, I didn´t come to Naruto expecting to see something rivalling actual literature, but nevertheless I do think it is important to note that Naruto´s characters hardly, if ever, rose above playing with their tropes.

Berserk´s Griffith and his relationship with Guts are in an entirely different ballpark in comparison, and no matter what Miura may do from here on out, it´ll never ruin the beauty that was the golden age arc.

This in part because Griffith doesn´t even start out as a villain in our story and is in fact a deeply ironic and tragic being. His position as the one to defeat Guts and make him his subordinate leads to us exploring his character long before his position as antagonist is established (something that the first three volumes undermine a bit I´m afraid, as they slightly spoil the impact Golden age´s ending might have otherwise had). At this point already Griffith is fleshed out more than most characters in Naruto ever were. We get to know him as a charismatic, intelligent man with ambitions far beyond his humble birth. We see as he refuses to live in the shadows of the world, wanting to prove his worth and reason for existing in the world. He gathers allies, saves them from their own predicaments and inspires them to follow him in his quest, even willing to sell his body to a noble to get closer to it. Eventually, with his growing belief in his future position as king, he begins to lose his own sense of morals and empathy. Coping with the death he himself incurred in his path, he rationalizes his actions as necessary in order to succeed, and begins to view his comrades as lesser beings, refusing to acknowledge those who would not follow their own dream as true friends, as equals. His relationship with Guts is not particularly different at first, and in fact, Guts is the one who is saved by Griffith and his band from his own violent past at first, finally regaining some of his long-lost happiness, and finding people to trust in. But as his prowess in battle is made more and more clear, he begins to gain Griffith´s favour as his right-hand man, and becomes the first Griffith decides to confine in, for the first time starting to think that another could become his equal. Yet, tragically, the same growth that leads to Guts gaining Griffith´s trust is also the one that would lead to the split between the two. Eventually wishing to find his own dream and path in life after Griffith´s goal seems finally within reach, he leaves the band of the hawks, breaking Griffith´s trust and leaving him alone once more. And yet, Guts´ leaving is what truly cements his position as the sole man who did not choose to serve Griffith´s dream, ironically fulfilling the criteria Griffith himself had set in order for somebody to be considered a true friend. And it is at this point that Griffith truly begins to transcend his character and becomes one with a major theme of the manga: human craving for a purpose, for a reason, their inability to live without any further, higher meaning, and the suffering that inevitably follows from it (something that is also represented by the idea of evil, a being that exists because of humanity´s existential guilt, which is shown in how, rather than realizing what truly matters, almost every major character craves for something which they cannot have, only becoming aware of their losses after the fact). Distraught from losing what became his pillar of support, Griffith breaks down, fleeing into the arms of the princess who loved him, in a desperate attempt to replace the void left in his heart. Having this backfire is what seals his fate, and he is ultimately left to rot in a dungeon.

His reunion with Guts then is simply a reminder of his failure, and as he notices Guts´ happiness with Casca, he begins to harbour hatred for him, hatred for the man who should have been his and yet refused to be so, hatred for the fact that he alone was suffering. And, oh so famously, this leads to the so-called eclipse, where Griffith reaffirms his dream in wanting to be a king, embracing that he ironically was a slave to it all along, and thus with it the idea of evil itself, finally sacrificing even Casca and Guts to his megalomaniac quest. With this action he also gives up on his own human emotions, by way of betraying the one man who ever managed to make him forget his own dream. This is simply fantastic as a development, as it cements Griffith´s position as a villain, as a man with no regard for other´s wishes, while remaining extremely believable and relevant to the themes of the manga. The tragedy happens because in the end Griffith refused to give up on his dream, coldly arguing that too many have died and it was his responsibility to continue, refusing the idea that he could live without following the destiny the idea of evil imposed on him, thus beginning a new era of darkness, symbolic for the suffering that humanity chose to impose on itself, with Griffith´s rise to Femto being the metaphor for it. Guts´ character in the following arcs is deeply reflected by this as well. Being consumed by revenge, he too is blinded to what it is he should do, and chooses to follow a path that can only leave destruction in its wake, both his and others´, when just before the eclipse he was finally ready to move on and live for himself. I hear he begins to better himself once more after meeting new comrades, but it remains clear that he and Griffith are foils and parallels to one another. And it is simply beautiful to witness just how intricate the parallels and symbolisms between those two are. Nothing, absolutely no villain Naruto came up with could compare to this epic tale of the fall of a once noble man who simply wished for acknowledgement in life. Because whereas the former largely revels in its tropes without trying to go beyond their purpose, the latter has a haunting message to deliver, and does so by showing us in minute detail Griffith´s descent to darkness and the meaning behind it. In fact, I´m afraid my piece here does not do him or the work in general justice considering how hastily this was written, as there are books that could be written about Berserk. It is by no means flawless, but I do think it is a truly amazing work and Griffith is, along with Guts and the manga´s various other themes, encompassing, among others, fatherhood, human selfishness and depravity, and the act of enduring life´s hardships, one of the central reasons behind its greatness.

Too bad Naruto wasn´t a One Piece fan. Could have simply drowned the woman with the chakra chakra fruit.

Eh, Bleach does have this problem as well, but One Piece? If we´re talking about side characters from an island, yes, but that´s due to the format of the story, and can´t be considered that much of a fault as such. The individual arcs tend to conclude those characters´ stories without any left over points to address, so it would be rather forced to keep reusing them on islands they have no business on. The characters who ARE present in most arcs do also get their time to shine. Especially in the recent arcs, Oda has made it a point to make use of the straw hats and their strengths as much as possible, with even Brook (the one who was arguably least useful before the current arc) becoming a favourite of many with the amount of work and dedication he puts in. Developments are admittedly very slow, but hardly inexistent, and characters that should not be forgotten about rarely are.
I would agree, OP is the best with that aspect, due to as you said having a format that can allow it at least partially. All the same, it still has an issue of having tons of fodder characters, that only really have value in their abilities they have. I mean you gotta admit Oda re-uses a lot of archetypes, the princesses one has been done who knows how many times now lol. I do give OP a bit more leeway here, due to the fact it is the most lighthearted of the big three, and therefore it goes for more personality and goofiness from the characters than actual serious messages. It still does get serious a fair bit though. I think it would only be better for the series if Oda lowered the number of characters a bit, and focused on existing ones or the few new ones he does have to introduce. We don't need 10 elites for every group, this trope for the majority of shonen (and some seinen) series gets out of hand imo. It really only leads to less well-developed characters when all is said and done in most cases.

kkck

Waifu Slayer
Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
Jiraiya? Orochimaru? Kabuto?
Having an awesome dad is just that, having an awesome dad. It has NOTHING to do with your abilities. Remember Gai? His father was a genin for life, much like Naruto and Sasuke for the whole manga, and Gai ended up being one of the most powerful shinobi in the Five Elemental Nations.
So what if they're essentually Senju? Tobirama himself was a Senju like Hashirama, and yet his brother far eclipsed him as far as abilities went. I think you''re placing too much emphasis on this matter of chakra. Kage level Ninja also have large reserves of chakra, but unlike Naruto they know how to use these reserves appropriately. That's what makes them outstanding shinobi.

But he wasn't the only Jinchuuriki....?
How would you account for all the others?

I agree with this one, tbh, Naruto getting all the Tailed Beasts's chakra was overkill.

Konohamaru learned the technique :errr

Still under people's guidance, compared to the likes of Sasuke who can develop an entire new jutsu on their own (Kirin), or even Neji with Kaiten, Naruto doing this under a mentor isn't really something to write home about.
Jiraiya didn't even focus on his Sage Mode training since he didn't spend time at Mount Myoboku, plus he admitted he doesn't like the mode since it makes him physically unappealing to women. It's pretty obvious he didn't put in as much effort as Naruto did.

Fair enough, but you forget he was the product of a Captain and a Quincy. It's the same as Naruto's lineage, except with Ichigo he has the added advantage of inheriting direct abilities from his parents (Getsuga Tensho and Blut Vene). Naruto has nothing of the sorts.
We don't really know anything about jiraiya, orochimaru and kabuto. And even then, the number of strong people from good families who become strong far surpasses the number of people from no named families who become strong. Which makes sense because chakra is ultimately a genetic thing. Chakra comes from aliens and their genes being passed down is what started the shinobi world. As for gai, he is the one character in the manga who gets to claim he did stuff due to hard work. And no one can take that from him.

So what if tobirama was surpassed by hashirama? Tobirama isn't a point in favor of your argument, it's a point against. Hashirama was awesome because of his genes. And tobirama, his lesser brother, was also a kage level ninja genius. And then hashirama's grandaughter becomes hokage as well. And naruto as well. That's 4 senju hokages who are legitimately at the kage level or above. As far as chakra reserves, there are people who are born with them and people who train their stamina. The senju are very clearly on the group that is born with it. And then have the aptitude to use it at an astonishing degree.

What are you talking about? What do the other jinchuiriki have to do with what I am saying? And the other jinchuiriki seemed like they were pretty competent shinobi overall. and that is putting it mildly.

Sure konohamaru did. And it is true konohamaru is from a nameless worthless family... oh wait, konohamaru is from the sarutobi clan, a clan whose only known members so far are a literal hokage and an elite jonin.

What? Towards the manga's end all naruto needed to do to use techniques was sneeze them. His chakra literally has all the elemental natures in it and is basically a fusion of all of them. And it is not like sasuke never needed guidance either. The guy was trained by kakashi and orochimaru. Naruto needing a little more guidance at worst is a non issue.

I literally did not forget that and wrote my bleach comment around ichigo being born like that. And you missed my posts point. Bleach never tried to tell us ichigo worked hard for his power. The cumulative time ichigo trained his powers is as a whole several months at most. Ichigo was just arbitrarily awesome, which we eventually learn was because he was born with a soul that had powers from all types of souls, and that is fine. Had kishimoto simply embraced the simple reality naruto needed to barely work to become a god among peasants as he did the manga would have been so much better for it. Instead what we have is the manga pretending naruto did stuff because he worked hard rather than because his genes allowed him that.

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's kind of a strong case for Naruto that just discussing how, where, and why it was bad generates a conversation as in depth as this one is going.

Never seen anything like this for Bersek. Griffith is a bishi prick. End of story.:^_^

My two cents on Itachi and the Uchiha's, for whatever it's worth, is that the character and concept started out pretty good but suffered from way too much retconning.

Back when he was a villain he was pretty cool. The problem was that the climax of his character arc didn't really make a lot of sense. With "how he treated Sasuke" combined with "how he supposedly felt about Sasuke" combined with "what he wanted Sasuke to do". Those three things just didn't mix together very well. Which was probably because he was being used as all purpose plot device for a while there. And the more Kishi tried to twist the character into the "good guy" role the more it didn't mesh with his already established background. So he started good but ended up as kind of a mess.

As for the Uchiha clan, that whole thing was a disaster of a train wreck of a dumpster fire. Which I think is pretty clearly the result of multiple layers of retcons dog piling onto each other. To start with Kishi cast them as victims of Itachi. Then he recast them as victims of Kohoha. Then recast them as victims of circumstance. Then finally recast them as victims of fate. I don't believe for a second that mess was an intentional story telling plan. Kishi just kept going back to that well and retconning the origin every time he needed to motivate or attempt to justify Sasuke and the twisted web of nonsense that is the Uchiha storyline in Naruto is the result.

Then by the time we got to the foundation of Konoha and Senju X Uchiha prodigal sons of the Sage guy stuff....

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Still the fact that we are all talking about this stuff even now makes me lean even further toward Naruto

Last edited:

Skylent

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Uchihas were morons lmao. :facepalm

Itachi and Shisui were the only sane people in the lot.

Starting from Madara (50 years old temper tantrum because he overheard Tobirama expressing doubts about him becoming hokage when Hashirama wanted to give him the title) then Obito (the girl who frienzoned me died so I can't stand the world as it is > emoteen phase of 15 years in which I plot the end of the world as we know it), then the WHOLE fucking retarded clan plans a rebellion in which they will 100% be exterminated , men and children included because... they were handed the police (Oh and they didn't help during Kyuubi's attack because ..; ya know and are then outraged to be suspected...), that is the most respectful authority in the village after the hokage...). And finally Sasuke...the unstable adolescent who attacks the highest authorities of all the villages at once, then wants to burn Kohona because "everyone is laughing at his brother's death" before finally wanting to become hokage. :fry

Tobirama was right. :whynot

Best hokage. :yaha

Holt

#1 Ranker
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
It's kind of a strong case for Naruto that just discussing how, where, and why it was bad generates a conversation as in depth as this one is going.
Still the fact that we are all talking about this stuff even now makes me lean even further toward Naruto
This was precisely my point in earlier post. The impact it made on pretty much everyone that read it is enormous even when it got bad. IMO, it did a pretty great job in that aspect, even if the story itself lacked. And this is why I still vote for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.